Data in a text box depending on the type of data choosing "text" (i.e. Drop ship) or "a time (.i.e. 05:00 PM)

Hi all,

If there a way I can have a something on my form that allow me to
choose which type of data I will
enter into a feild? And whatever the data type entered, the data will
appear on my detail section report.

I'm explaining,

I have form made from a query and that same query came from a table,
and have two feilds names in my table which I will like to choose to
enter one or the other type od data (i.e. Drop ship) or "a time (.i.e.
05:00 PM)

Does anyone have an idea, how this kind of function? can be made.

Thanking you in advance for your continuous free support

Fred's
0
Fred
12/12/2007 4:41:11 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

A field in a table can only have one data type.

If you have a need to store differering data types from row to row, it may
indicate a design problem with the table. Your only choice, though, would be
to store the data as text.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Fred's" <frederic10_mess@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> If there a way I can have a something on my form that allow me to
> choose which type of data I will
> enter into a feild? And whatever the data type entered, the data will
> appear on my detail section report.
>
> I'm explaining,
>
> I have form made from a query and that same query came from a table,
> and have two feilds names in my table which I will like to choose to
> enter one or the other type od data (i.e. Drop ship) or "a time (.i.e.
> 05:00 PM)
>
> Does anyone have an idea, how this kind of function? can be made.
>

> Thanking you in advance for your continuous free support
>
> Fred's

0
Douglas
12/12/2007 4:45:48 PM
On Dec 12, 11:45 am, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> A field in a table can only have one data type.
>
> If you have a need to store differering data types from row to row, it may
> indicate a design problem with the table. Your only choice, though, would be
> to store the data as text.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "Fred's" <frederic10_m...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi all,
>
> > If there a way I can have a something on my form that allow me to
> > choose which type of data I will
> > enter into a feild? And whatever the data type entered, the data will
> > appear on my detail section report.
>
> > I'm explaining,
>
> > I have form made from a query and that same query came from a table,
> > and have two feilds names in my table which I will like to choose to
> > enter one or the other type od data (i.e. Drop ship) or "a time (.i.e.
> > 05:00 PM)
>
> > Does anyone have an idea, how this kind of function? can be made.
>
> > Thanking you in advance for your continuous free support
>
> > Fred's- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Doug for your fast response,

Fred's
0
Fred

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

parameter for text

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

Text box in Embedded chart is cut off
Hi. I am having a problem with an embedded chart that appears differently in word versus how it appeared originally in Excel. Specifically, the top of the chart (in excel) has a text box that divides the chart (it is a vertical bar graph) into subcategories (labels at the bottom are used to specify what each bar signifies; but these are taken from the associated cell range). Originally, the chart was labeled by a single text box, separated by spaces: Lifetime Use 30-Day Use Heavy Use Antisocial Behavior When this chart is linked in word, the text displays like this (tho&...

Hi All, I'm creating a form that allows the user to pick a txt file (dialog) and then display the path and contents on the form. The code has been cobbled together as I found the pieces that worked, so bear with. I got the file picker working and displaying the file name on the form, but the file contents won't display. I had a feeling the problem had to do with importing a namespace (see the error in the code when I tried "Imports System.IO") or with a missing reference. Using Access 2003. References: VB for Apps, MS Access 11 Obj Lib, OLE Auto, MS V...

Transferring the text of an email from notebook to desktop?
I can access files from my notebook on my desktop via my wireless connection. I have Office 2007 on both machines. What would be the best way to access the text of an email on the notebook from my desktop. Would (can) the context of the email in outlook on the notebook be copied or transferred to a file that I can access from my desktop? Any help would be very much appreciated Jerry You could open the Outlook PST on the notebook from Outlook on the Desktop using File | Open ... (ensure you are sharing the folder the Outlook PST is in). Only Outlook on the Notebook could be open at ...

Parse(?) data from text file
I have a large text file that has hundresds (or thousands) of compiled questionairres that I want to convert to a more usable format (excel?). Here is what it looks like: ======================== Name: Joe Jones Address: 123 main comment: varies from blank to 20+ lines may have muliple paragraphs others: 8 or 10 other fields =============================== next questionnaire ====================== A couple of details: the separator line of ====s vary in length, the individual questionnaires are not always identical. Some have a couple of extra 'fields'. I envision a separat...

How to name a sheet from text in a cell in another sheet ?
I am very much a novice with using Excel, I'd prefer to be doing this in Access as that's what the data's aimed at in the long run, but the db I'm being forced to use is not mine and I can't work that out either - also work don't support Access so I can't use that to do the data transfer I'm being asked to do... oh why did I say I'd do this :( Down to the true business... I have created a workbook and am trying to name the sheets from cells in another sheet - all within the same workbook. I have been digging about the net and everything I've found tha...

how do I wrap up the text to all comments in one spreadsheet?
In an spreadsheet I created about 300 comments with different sizes and all of a sudden the only thing I see is a line and to be able to see the comment I have to resize one comment at a time. How do I go back? or how do I resize all my comments wrapping up all the text at once? ...

Text Highlight Color vs. Highlighter button
I'm using Office 2010 and wanted to add the highlight function to the quick access toolbar. Under All commands I saw two buttons which seems to fit, but I can't figure out the difference between them. One is called Highlighter, the other Text Highlight Color. Text Highlight Color is the one I use, if only because the other never seems to be available. But I'm unable to determine how they're different. Anyone know?? Thanks, ...

Selecting Text Shortcut??
I am using Publisher 2003. In Word 2003 if I want to select a certain portion of text I can place the cursor at the starting point, then while holding down the shift key I move the cursor to the end and when I release the button the text is selected. What is the secret in doing the above while in Publisher?? Thank you. Mike All outgoing messages (both text and attachments) are scanned for viruses prior to sending The function is the same in Publisher. What problems are you having? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microso...

Read email and compare text
Hi All: I am thinking whether or not the following will be possible by use of a macro: If yes, then how? I will receive an email from a particular email address, that will have some information (some number) in it. The number will be in the message body and it will always be at a fixed place in the message. (say 10th and 11th characters on line 3). What I want to do is, compare this number with another number that I have to derive from a ZIP file...it has to be the number of files zipped in that zip file. I don't know if at all it is possible to open a zip file from a macro and get t...

Blinking Text #2
Can I create blinking text in a single cell? Hi Brett It is possible, but don't do this. ******************************** David McRitchie posted this in november Blinking is not supported in Excel, but you can use some macros using ontime. Here is a repeat of a posting by Bill Manville using ontime. http://google.com/groups?selm=3C88CC86.85946D62%40consumer.org This one by Norman Harker is activated at workbook open http://google.com/groups?selm=WL9i7.3406%24vI2.186266%40ozemail.com.au When this is running, it will be running whether you see it or not, whether you have that she...

Default format for text in a cell
I have three cells that people will be populating but i need to make them with a default format and length. so Field 1 defalult will be character field 7 long 0123456 Field 2 defalult will be character field 9 long 012345678 Field 3 will be Numeric 06/01/2010 format so if for the first field a person enters " 123456 (without the leading 0) then an error message should pop up "enter 7 digits" , leaving the Field 1 blank until the 7 digits get entered..... same with field 2 and Field 3 should have mm/dd/yyyy format ...

lock text box to cell
I created a text box through the control toolbox. I want to lock it to a cell, so that I can create a macro which saves the invoices in another folder. Not sure about saving invoices to another folder but in design mode, right click the textbox, select properties and enter the releveant cell address (eg F2) in the LinkedCell field. Hope this helps Rowan "Marlis" wrote: > I created a text box through the control toolbox. I want to lock it to a > cell, so that I can create a macro which saves the invoices in another folder. Yes that worked thank you. Do you know how...

Couting occurences of different text
Hello Excelers, I have a column of text similar to the one shown below. I am trying to find a way to oount the number of different occurences. In this case, I have AAA, BBB, CCC, DDD and SSS so I am looking for a function that would return 5. I dont want to know the number of each, just the number of different values. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Paul AAA BBB AAA BBB CCC DDD AAA AAA SSS Hi, You could try 'Subtotals' within the 'Data' menu. Hope it helps, Dan. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ...

CDialog: 1 picture and 1 text label (VC6)
I have great problems with component layout on dialog. Before, I have just drag and drop 1 picture (icon) and 1 text label (CStatic) from toolbox onto my CDialog and layout was fine on all operating systems and all IDEs (FoxPro, Delphi, JScript...) my COM was called. The only problem was on WinXP when one change default card video settings from 96 dpi (dots per inch) into 120 dpi. Then, picture is below or above text label, I don't remember well. However, they were not in the same horizontal line (on the left side is picture (32x32 icon) and on the right side is its label)...

Can I save a re-useable template for Text Import Wizard?
I frequently have to import data from an accounts report txt file into Excel 2K, via the Text Import Wizard, fixed width mode. Is there any way to save the column width settings for future re-use? No. "Sinhavacin" wrote: > I frequently have to import data from an accounts report txt file into Excel > 2K, via the Text Import Wizard, fixed width mode. Is there any way to save > the column width settings for future re-use? How about this: If you're always importing files with the same layout, you could record a macro when you import one of these files. Start a n...

Writing a text file in UTF-8 encoding.
Hi I have text in a CString variable Now want to write it to a file but the file should use encoding UTF-8. I also want to read that file in the same encoding format. Here is my code goes //_UNICODE is defined CString strInput; GetDlgItemText(ET_INPUT, strInput); //read String from text box int strlength = strInput.GetLength(); // length char* strUTFchar = new char[strlength]; // UTF char LPTSTR str = strInput.GetBuffer(); WideCharToMultiByte(CP_UTF8,0,str,strlength,strUTFchar,strlength,NULL,NULL); // Convert Unicode to UTF-8 // I think till h...

Conditional formatting and text string in array
Hi guys, i have a complicated question, that i'll try and descibe as best I can. A worksheet designed for soccer lineup. For example, E10:E14 is for a certain position, Starting player, then subsitutes below. There are several of these throughout the sheet. Also, below is a list of the all the rostered players names. C40:I52 Currently, I manually type in the names into the above cells. What I'd like to do be able to do is type part of the name into say E10 and let it search the Array C40:I52 and auto fill in with the first name that could be a match. I do have some other funky fo...

Tabbing between text boxes and locking all else.
I have built a user form using Excel 2000, I used the "View - Toolbars - Control Tool Box - Text Box" to make areas where the user can enter data. I saved this as a template and when I try to move from one box to the next using the Tab key, nothing happens, cursur won't move to the next box. I have to use the mouse to click on the next box to make it work. I would also like to make the sheet so that when it is opened up, the only place you can type are in the text boxes. I tried protecting the sheet, but that doesn't seem to do what I am looking for. (Unless I am doing s...