Creating Custom Error Reports

i have an Access2003 database with approx 2000 vb function. each function
returns its own custom error code along with the err.number and
err.description.

Each time an error occurrs a msgbox is displayed indicating the error msg to
the user.

im trying to find a way to send an automated email that contains the error
msg without having to edit all my functions.

my questions are

1) is thier a way to automate a screen dump (eg press Ctrl+print screen) and
then place it as an attachment to an email?
2) can i create a custom button on a msgbox that sends an email?
3) is their any vb code that grabs the text message from an active msgbox?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi StuJol,

> im trying to find a way to send an automated email that contains the error
> msg without having to edit all my functions.

I suggest, instead, that you write the details of the error (NTUserID,
ComputerName, date stamp, err.number, err.description, object name, procedure
name, etc.) to a table. This way, you'll be in a better postion to analyzer
the results, and go after the most frequent errors or perhaps alert you to a
particular user who is generating lots of errors, without getting potentially
inundated with separate e-mail messages.

> 1) is thier a way to automate a screen dump (eg press Ctrl+print screen) and
> then place it as an attachment to an email?

Possibly, but I don't know. However, a screen dump is likely not going to
tell you much more than just logging the various details to a table.

> 2) can i create a custom button on a msgbox that sends an email?

No. You can create a custom button on a form, and invoke your form to
display the same information that the message box currently displays, but you
cannot create a custom button on a msgbox.

> 3) is their any vb code that grabs the text message from an active msgbox?

Just write the err.number & err.description to a table, instead of
attempting to grab the same text from an active msgbox.

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Tom
http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html

"StuJol" wrote:

> i have an Access2003 database with approx 2000 vb function. each function
> returns its own custom error code along with the err.number and
> err.description.
>
> Each time an error occurs a msgbox is displayed indicating the error msg to
> the user.
>
> im trying to find a way to send an automated email that contains the error
> msg without having to edit all my functions.
>
> my questions are
>
> 1) is thier a way to automate a screen dump (eg press Ctrl+print screen) and
> then place it as an attachment to an email?
> 2) can i create a custom button on a msgbox that sends an email?
> 3) is their any vb code that grabs the text message from an active msgbox?

If I want to buid a simple database for customer details, should I use Excel or Access?
I want to buid up a database for store detailed information of customers. The key words would be contained Customer's name, contact, visited time, email address links ( That can be easily used for sending emails). I wonder which program is better, Excel or Access? I am thinking that Excel is more common to use. And If I set up Excel, its data can be imported to Access. There are two clues here. The first is "database" - Access is the database application. The second is that, in spite of that, you fancy Excel, probably because you are more comfortable with Excel. It is yo...

Once user is created in active directory, it cannot find name in o
I have recently had to create a new user in Active directory and for some time it has been working well but today it seems that I cannot link the new user to Outlook. It keeps coming up with an error saying that "the name could not be matched in the list" I have had this problem in the past but was told to update the recipient list, which I have done but it still does not seem to replicate. I know the account exists because it is in our distribution lists but not in the global list or when trying to link to the server. I understand that it may take time to replicate but I am...

Frx Reports to be use on other client machines without installing
Hi, I installed Frx as a thin clinet on my GP client machine and created Balance sheet and income statement reports successfully but now I want to run these reports on other clients machine without installing the Frx. Can u please tell me the correct way. Your immediate help will be greatly appreciated. -- Developer -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 "Dexdev" wrote: > Hi, > > I installed Frx as a thin clinet on my GP client machine and created Balance > sheet and income statement reports successfully but now I want t...

What to do?
Hi Everybody? I have problem when I try to build offline data file from Pivot tabel which is connected to Cube on the Analysis Server. Excel return this message: No columns that microsoft excel can use were returned from this query! What to do? ...

"Customize Outlook Today" button does not work.
My "Customize Outlook Today" button does not work or do anything. I am using Outlook 2000. Can anyone help? Thanks, -Ricardo See the foolowing KB article; http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820575 -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Ricardo" <Ricardo993@comcast.net> wrote in message news:108ff01c4400a$54553f20$a001280a@phx.gbl... > My "Customize Outlook Today" button does not work or do > anything. I am using Outlook 2000. Can anyone help?...

fatal error LNK1104
I get the following error while trying to link the sqlite.lib Linking... LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "sqlib3.lib" Error executing link.exe. Before that, I did the following things: Project->Settings->link tab : Object/library modules: sqlib3.lib Tools->Options->Directories tab and added the folder on where sqlib3.lib resides I've also copy the sqlib3.dll to Window/System32 Why do I get that error? Thanks for ypur time. Ok, i've solved the problem Martin wrote: > I get the following error while trying to link the sqlite.lib > > Li...

SMRTINET.INI error
I get this error about every third time I do the internet updates in Money 2004. "Money encountered an error processing the dowloaded file ('SMRTINET.INI')." Yes the error log mispelled the word downloaded! Anybody have any idea? In microsoft.public.money, Stephen wrote: >I get this error about every third time I do the internet >updates in Money 2004. "Money encountered an error >processing the dowloaded file ('SMRTINET.INI')." Yes the >error log mispelled the word downloaded! > >Anybody have any idea? Close Money In Inter...

How to create column of ranks.
In one column, I have a list of 500 or so sorted prices: A 5.30 5.30 4.50 4.49 4.49 2.00 I want to rank these prices, so in the above example, I want to create a column B that would be: 1 1 2 3 3 4 (ranking the prices in column A). How do I do this? Thanks, Nitin Batra (email: nbatra@sbcglobal.net, cell: 714-488-9584) Before we get fancy, is this something you can use?: Using your list in Cells A1:A6 B1: =RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$6) Copy that formula down. The results will be this: 5.3 1 5.3 1 4.5 3 4.49 4 4.49 4 2 6 Note the lack of a 2nd and 5th rank....Excel grants ties the same rank ...

custom toolbar commands disappear
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I spent 2 hours adding and removing commands from the toolbar and now they are gone. It's back to the default. Is this because I'm on a trial? ...

Newly Created Function not Working #3
Thank you Frank, I used your suggestion but I still was unable to ge this to work. This is actually the method I had already used. Would i be easier to just save this as an addin and have him install the addi on his machine? Do you think it may work if we do this? Again thank yo for oyur help -- nuve ----------------------------------------------------------------------- nuver's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1003 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26961 I'll just chime in and give my $0.02 for what it's...

Custom Build (VC6)
I have in my Custom Build set output as: ...\..\src\MyApp\MyFile.h but, it still puts file in project (.dsp) root folder and not in "..\..\src\MyApp\". :-( "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net> wrote in message news:e5At$D8zEHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > > I have in my Custom Build set output as: > > ..\..\src\MyApp\MyFile.h > > but, it still puts file in project (.dsp) root folder and not in > "..\..\src\MyApp\". > I beleive the output path needs to be a folder not a file like "MyFile.h" so try ju...

Synching after customizations doesn't push out to SFO???
I made some changes to the layout via web access. I published and reset IIS. I went online then off with Sales for Outlook. I do not see the changes. Is there a procedure to make the changes come through? Or do you really have to uninstall and reinstall Sales for Outlook EVERY time you make a change to your layout? What if it is just one new field? Or changing the label for a field? Thanks! You need to clear your Outlook forms cache. >-----Original Message----- >I made some changes to the layout via web access. >I published and reset IIS. >I went online then off with Sales ...

Search Performance & Indexing
Hi there, Does anyone know what the search performance is like with a few hundred thousand records on a custom 'account number' field? The out-of-box deployment indexes a few fields, and I am assuming it is unsupported to change these indexes. I have read through the performance papers from Microsoft and they have benchmark tested against few million records without any issues - but primarily these searches were done on out-of box fields. Any thoughts and advise on this would be greatly appreciated. ...

Categorizer?
Hi all, i am receiving this situation with Exchage2003 (SBS) Email is downloaded with pop3 connector and then located in internal mailboxes Some mailboxes are not receiving email, other without problems. I do message tracking on these lost messages and i see that right after the message been passed to the categorizer the flow ends up there. I check event viewer and i have error code 1070 talking about not an addresses matching the internal client. i have checked this and the external address is defined in the default recipient policy and has been applied to these internal clients. any cl...

Outlook 2002 will not send and recieve on created account
Outlook 2002 began acting up and it lost one of my e-mail accounts. I noticed that I was not getting any e-mail that I would usually get with the account. I checked and the account is not there. The other thing that I have noticed is that my address book and archives are listed where my other accounts are listed in the area where you would edit or add e-mail accounts. I went in and recreated the missing account and went to send and recieve and it would not bring up the account in the send and recieve box (it brought up all my other accounts). I went back and the account is still...

Error in saving quote
Hi, when I want to save quote, there is error message like this : <details>Server was unable to process request.</details> Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: <details>Server was unable to process request.</details> Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding t...

Testing for an error in a range of cells...
I searched through the previous posts on this topic, but have almost no experience using VBA in excel, so I was wondering if there was a simpler way to achieve this: I want to write a formula in B2 that will basically say, "If the range of cells B3 to B24 contains an error, return x if true, and return y if false." I know how to do this for a specific cell rather than a range, for example (=IF(ISERROR(B2),"x","y"). Any help in achieving this without delving into VBA would be much appreciated (I just don't have the time to start learning this stuff as I am w...

Any news on when MSCRM will allow custom entity creation/addition?
To my chagrin I just learned that MSCRM does not allow for custom entitiy creation, nor does it allow for me to create a custom table (ie AccountProducts). I my mind this is a MAJOR shortcoming of the software. I have implemented countless numbers of mid-market implementations using SalesLogix and we used the ability to create 1-M tables off of the base entities much of the time. Please tell me I am missing something here, this is going to cause me a lot of pain. If I am accurate, does anyone have any info on the roadmap of the product, and when this shortcomming might be corrected? Jake ...

error with exchange 2003
since last week, the application log is full of following message: the service threw an unexpected exception which was caught at f:\titanium\src\lra\abv_dg\serveragent.cpp(4511) this is domain controller (win 2003 server) and exchange server (exchange 2003. the network is running with 8 local computers. i could not find any help related to this error message and i need some help with this issue. thanks Any help from http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq=service%20threw%20an%20unexpected%20exception%20which%20was%20caught&safe=images&ie=ISO-8859-1&as_ugroup=microsoft.publi...

How to Export the Primary SMTP address from both Mailboxes and Custome Recipients
As above, can get an export file with several smtp address, but primarily i'm looking to export all mailboxes and custom recipients so they contain, among other things, the primary smtp address. Thing is i've forgotten how this is done. Does anyone know what the attribute name should be? Thanks in advance For mailboxes, it's "Email Addresses". For a custom recipient I think it's "Email address". Just do a standard export and examine the CSV file - they should both be default values. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check...

Error Message 08-17-10
Good Morning, I am trying to make Windows Mail my new mail account. This is the message that keeps popping up. Does anyone have any idea on how I can get connected? Thanks in Advance, Kasey Account: 'Home', Server: 'pop3.zoominternet.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR authorization first', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 yes i am getting same one and just got off of chat with comcast for 1 hr. and still not resolved "Kasey Jennings" wrote: > Good Morning, > I am trying...

error 0X80070057 #3
I cant setup this mail service program. error 0x80070057 -- Thank You It's a long shot but see if the resolution in this article helps: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326842 "onelot" <onelot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F031D2BA-12A9-40A9-AFB8-814CF03B967F@microsoft.com... >I cant setup this mail service program. error 0x80070057 ...

Outlook has encountered a fatal error and must close
When composing messages I get the above message. the program closes and I am never sure whether my message has been lost. This message and abrupt shut down only started happening in the last month. Sending the error report has yielded nothing despite sending the error report every second time. Re: Terms of use below: I would just like it fixed!!!! Did you recently install a newer version of Ad-Aware? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft....

Rounding errors in manually entered investment account transaction
I am tracking the performance of the investment subaccount of my life insurance policy in MS Money 2006 Premium. My insurer does not support online updates of investment subaccount performance, so I must enter statement data manually. Shares of investments are only reported with 3 decimal places of accuracy on my statements. As a result, in some cases rounding errors in the number of shares purchased and sold accumulate over months so that after a while the total number of shares that I own as reported by Money differs from the number of shares reported by my insurer. How do I adju...

Error: "The name could not be resolved. The bookmark is not valid"
I am getting the error as described in the title when I attempt to connect to and my exchange server. 1) Setup One Exchange 2003 organisation (with a back end server in parent domain and one in child domain). Exchange 2003 Forest. A few Exchange 2003 front end servers in DMZ Office 2000 and Office 2003 on Windows 2000 Windows XP clients. ssl OWA and MAPI access (planning to investigate httpsRPC). 2) Problem When I connect with MAPI Outlook clients to child domain Exchange 2003. It comes up with the error: ...