Creating an Excel table from Access

Hi,

I have an Access database which I use to log downtime for systems.  I have a
requirement to produce a monthly report based on this data, however, this
needs to be exported to excel in a specific format.

Down the left side of the report need to go the names of the services, with
the days (numerically like: 1, 2, 3 .. 29, 30 etc) across the top.  Then I
need to count the number of times each service was down on a give day, and
insert that information into the necessary cell - so if intranet services
had been down twice on 16th March, for example, there would be a 2 in column
16, which would also be filled in red.  Finally, the total amount of
downtime experienced by each service needs to go at the very right hand side
of the table.  Where no downtime was recorded, the cells need to be green.

I can provide further information if necessary.

Many thanks in advance of any replies,

Andi

0
Andi
6/16/2007 2:30:45 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Per Andi:
>I have an Access database which I use to log downtime for systems.  I have a
>requirement to produce a monthly report based on this data, however, this
>needs to be exported to excel in a specific format.
>
>Down the left side of the report need to go the names of the services, with
>the days (numerically like: 1, 2, 3 .. 29, 30 etc) across the top.  Then I
>need to count the number of times each service was down on a give day, and
>insert that information into the necessary cell - so if intranet services
>had been down twice on 16th March, for example, there would be a 2 in column
>16, which would also be filled in red.  Finally, the total amount of
>downtime experienced by each service needs to go at the very right hand side
>of the table.  Where no downtime was recorded, the cells need to be green.

I do stuff like this on a regular basis and here's my approach:
1) Instantiate an Excel object in the Access VBA code.

2) Open up a .WorkSheet within the Excel object

3) Set .ReferenceStyle = R1C1

4) Open up a .Recordset in Access that contains what you want to
   put into the workbook

5) Beat down the sheet populating myWS.Cells(R,C).Value

6) When I need to do something with a .Cell or .Range that
   I've never done before, record a macro in an Excel
   workbook and copy/translate the code to MS Access VBA
   in such a way that there are no .Select statements.

   e.g. setting a cell's .BackColor=Red or Green....
   The recorded macro will do a .Select and then set the
   selected cell or range's properties.   I'd alter that
   to set the properties of a .Cell(R,C).

First time around, you have a whole host of syntactical issues to
solve and getting some sample code would save you boucoups man
hours.
--
PeteCresswell
0

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

Reporting from Project Server

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

How to create an autonumber field?

Pivot Table Question #5

learning Excel #3

Table of Contents for each section
I have tried several times to create a TOC for each section of my document. They way it is now I can simply go to the Insert a TOC and it will insert e perfect TOC. All my text has been changed to the appropriate Level and I have no problem there. But I need to seperate the chapters to the start of their respective sections (I have next page breaks inserted at the start of every chapter). I have tried the bookmark method, no luck. I have tried other methods but I think my problem is that I have selected the appropriate fields and changed their levels appropriately. I have not mes...

microsoft.public.access.conversion

Excel VBA

Access to User Calendar

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

How do I find the Data Analysis Plus toolpak for excel
does anyone know where I could find the data analysis plus toolpak. opher32 - > does anyone know where I could find the data analysis plus toolpak. < Start by looking on the CD that was in the back of the textbook. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com ...