counting values in a column in Access

I am working on a database for help desk type calls. I have three call
categories and would like a running total of how many of each call I recieve.
These three values are located in one column of a table. What are my options
to make this happen?

Example:
Date      Call Type     Problem

11/5      Equipment    VCR doesn't work
11/6      Computer     Monitor wont turn on
11/6      Media          CD is scratched
11/7      Equipment    TV has no volume

I would like a report or something telling me that I have
2 Equipment calls
1 Computer Call
1 Media Call
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Use a Totals query.

If building it through the GUI, you'd create a new query and add your table
to it. You'd drag the Call Type field, and one other field that you know is
never Null into the grid. You'd convert it to a Totals query (either by
clicking on the Sigma button on the button bar, or selecting Total from the
View menu.) That'll add a new row to the grid labelled "Total:", with the
value set to "Group By" under each active cell. Leave it as Group By under
the Call Type field, but change it to Count under the other field.

The SQL for the query will look like:

SELECT [Call Type], Count([SomeField])
FROM MyTable
GROUP BY [Call Type]

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am working on a database for help desk type calls. I have three call
> categories and would like a running total of how many of each call I
> recieve.
> These three values are located in one column of a table. What are my
> options
> to make this happen?
>
> Example:
> Date      Call Type     Problem
>
> 11/5      Equipment    VCR doesn't work
> 11/6      Computer     Monitor wont turn on
> 11/6      Media          CD is scratched
> 11/7      Equipment    TV has no volume
>
> I would like a report or something telling me that I have
> 2 Equipment calls
> 1 Computer Call
> 1 Media Call

0
Douglas
11/9/2007 6:38:21 PM
On Nov 9, 12:26 pm, Brad <B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am working on a database for help desk type calls. I have three call
> categories and would like a running total of how many of each call I recieve.
> These three values are located in one column of a table. What are my options
> to make this happen?
>
> Example:
> Date      Call Type     Problem
>
> 11/5      Equipment    VCR doesn't work
> 11/6      Computer     Monitor wont turn on
> 11/6      Media          CD is scratched
> 11/7      Equipment    TV has no volume
>
> I would like a report or something telling me that I have
> 2 Equipment calls
> 1 Computer Call
> 1 Media Call

You can use an aggragate query.  In the query do a group by call type
and a count of the date field.
In SQL it would be written as:

select count(*), calltype from Table
groupby calltype

You then can use the query as the datasource in a report or subform.
Hope this helps.

MAC

0
MAC

email access in outlook from a cruise ship
I'm going on a cruise to Alaska and I need to access my email to answer quotes, ( working vacation ) thanks. -- doug blair doug blair wrote: > I'm going on a cruise to Alaska and I need to access my email to answer > quotes, ( working vacation ) thanks. > > > > i don't quote understand what you mean. if your cruise ship gives you access to the Internet, you should be able to use Outlook. Check with your mail provider to see if what kind of web access they = offer. This isn't an Outlook issue per se.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of ...

Export Access Record to Specific Cells in Excel
I'm looking for suggestions on how to export data from an Access table or Query into specific cells of a Worksheet. The table I'm importing will always contain a single record only. For example, I'd like to export data from Field1, field2...etc in an access table to Sheet2!A3, Sheet2!B3...etc. Any sugestions would be most appreciative. ...

Outlook 2003: Email address in 'From' column of Inbox.
Anyone know how to get the full email address to display in the 'from' column of the inbox in Outlook 2003? I have about half a dozen "Dave"s that all have different email address but they're indistinguishable in the inbox. Plus, I'm sick of just seeing someone's name when I really need to know the company name more than anything else. At least with a proper email address, I can easily work out if it's a legit email from a known company or spam. I don't want to have to read the post to see if it's valid. ------------------------------------------...

Traspose Column data into Row
Hi, I want to transpose column data in to row. I have seen many posts (using INDEX or OFFSET functions) but all these solution assume a fixed block of data to be transposed, My problem is that the data i have not only has variable blocks to be transposed but also has some duplicate headings(headings are duplicate but the data in front of each heading has different value. Below is the example of data Col A Col B Col C PRODUCT COST COMPONENT COST$ A Raw Mat 10 A D L ...

Multiple If True Values?
Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and if a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You. Start by experimenting with Format|Conditional Formatting Then come back if more help is needed best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07DC594F-6045-4A81-B8B9-19F295A2AAA5@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and &g...

I cannot access any hyperlinks in e-mail messages I receive.
Somebody or something has changed access settings in my Outlook e-mail. If I click on a hyperlink I receive a message telling me that it can't perform this action and that this computer has restrictions and I should contact my system administrator. Unfortunately, that's me!! Help! woofandduke wrote: > Somebody or something has changed access settings in my Outlook e-mail. If I > click on a hyperlink I receive a message telling me that it can't perform > this action and that this computer has restrictions and I should contact my > system administrato...

Stored Procedure with array of values
I have the query below in a stored procedure in MS SQL 2005 server. My problem is that I would like to be able to pass in multiple questionID values. So I would like to replace A.QuestionID = @QuestionNumber with a method where I can pass in a list of question numbers. For example instead of passing in 286 I would like to pass in 286, 289, 412, and 513. The number of values passed in would vary from 1 to 15 or 20. I imagine the line A.QuestionID = @QuestionNumber would be edited to something along the lines of A.QuestionID IN ( @QuestionNumber ) SELECT Coun...

Running Access Query Returns Incorrect Number of Records
I am running some code which loops through and runs the queries in an Access Database. The count of the records is then stored in a Worksheet. For most of the queries, the figure stored in the Worksheet matches the number of records if you run the query in Access. But for certain queries, the count of the records does not match the number of records when the query is run in Access. If I change the query to a make table query and then base another query on that table, the results are correct. Can anybody suggest running the query from Excel would results in a different number of records bein...

Stock count schedules
I have created 14 unique inventory stock count schedules and although I have the "reuse stock count" checked it is quite possible for "someone" to inadvertantly delete one of the schedules. Does anyone know what SQL table the stock count schedules are located in so I can copy them for a backup. Also is it possible to export an existing stock count list into Excel? I didn't see that option in the smartlist. Thank you, Vinnie T588 If you go to Tools --> Resource Descriptions --> Tables --> Microsoft Dynamics GP (Product) --> Inventory (Series) and or...

counting same text from different cells
Hi I was Trying to count text such as "p" for pass from different cell in excel but i am not sure what is the formula for that. It will be really helpful if u could send me the solution thank you om Hi =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"p") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "om" <om@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:96B25715-6B88-40F8-8360-9602A05E3B30@microsoft.com... > Hi I was Trying to count text such as "p" for pass from different cell in > excel but i am not sure what is the formula for that. > > It will be rea...

How can I access a file in Outlook Public Folder by VBscript
It does not have to be VBscript.. I need sync the file with my local harddrive... Thanks. Nix wrote: > It does not have to be VBscript.. > I need sync the file with my local harddrive... > > Thanks. Why does it need to be a script at all? You can add your public folder to your PF\Favorites (drag it there) and include it in your send/receive settings for offline use with your OST file. ...

pulling cell "value"
in the cell C4 i have the formula =now() and I have that cell formatted to custom mmmm so that it displays as January. I am now trying to write some VBA code to look at cell C4 and take the January and then do a vlookup on the array that i have named months. months is the cells D14:E25 column D has a list of the months and column E has a list of numbers that corresponds to these months. This is a custom list so I can not use the standard numbers that excel uses for the months. The vlookup in vba should take the January and find the number in col E that corresponds to it th...

access & windows xp
we're trying to use access 2000 (part of office rooo profesional SR) on new HP/compaq machine that has xp pro on it. on clicking a button to jump between forms we get the following message:- The expression On Click you entered as the event peroperty setting produced the following error:- Can't find roject or library. The expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user defined function, or an [event proceedure]. There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro. .. It sounds like the button OnClick calls an expression e.g. "=M...

how to define scroll bar's page size value?
Hi all, I have a confusion about calculating scroll bar's page size. In my application, I am drawing an image according to scroll bar position. m_iGeneratedImgWidth - Width size of the image (this value is always bigger) rect.right - Width of the drawing area. how to define scroll bar's page size value? SCROLLINFO info; info.cbSize = sizeof(SCROLLINFO); info.fMask = SIF_RANGE|SIF_PAGE|SIF_POS; info.nPos = 0; info.nMin = 0; info.nMax = m_iGeneratedImgWidth - rect.right; info.nPage = ? In my OnHScrollBar() function, for SB_PAGELEFT / SB_PAG...

Insatantiate Generic Collection with Initial Values?
You know how you can instantiate an array of, say, strings and specify intial values at the same time with something like: string[] myStrings = new string[3] { "value1", "value2", "value3" }; Can the same type of thing be done for a List<string> object? I've done a lot of web searching but I can't find any sample code that illustrates this. Joe Cool wrote: > You know how you can instantiate an array of, say, strings and specify > intial values at the same time with something like: > > string[] myStrings = new string[3] {...

Linking columns for auto fill
Can I link two columns to auto fill Column A when corresponding data is entered in Column B? In A1 enter =IF(B1="","",B1) Copy down column A as far as you wish. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:11:01 -0700, Daisy <Daisy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I link two columns to auto fill Column A when corresponding data is >entered in Column B? ...

Message of: a program is trying to access email addresses
you have stored in outlook. Do you want to allow this. Why does this show up when a MAPI account tries to use this. It there something in a security setting I can change? Thanks. See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm#autosec -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Kim Newberry" <olgkim@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:004901c34d57$c602c670$a601280a@phx.gbl... > you...

Lists
I have a user who is importing an excel spreadsheet into a Sharepoint List, but some of the column types that SP is selecting is incorrect. I can't find any place to change the type of these columns (like from text to text with link, etc). Is this possible? Yes, you can change the column type after importing. Just go to the list settings page and choose the column you would like to update. The very first section of the column settings page will be for the data type of the column. -RH "J. Belcher" wrote: > I have a user who is importing an excel sprea...

Counting Subtotaled Items
Hi there, I have a worksheet with three columns: Student Name, Training Module Name, and Date Completed. I've done the appropriate sorting, and I'd like to subtotal each module by date completed, and get a count of the number of students for each class in the fourth column I created for just that purpose. When I use the count option in the subtotal command, I'm getting a 0 for each subtotal. Do I need a separate function to count the students? Thanks for any help you can offer. ibk ...

AutoFill Changing Wrong Value
I'm trying to create an analysis sheet that gathers data from 100 worksheets within the same workbook. I want the same cell reference in each sheet, but to change the sheet number in each cell. The worksheets are named 1 - 100 Here is the formula: ='1'!B3:E3 It changes the cell references only, not the worksheets. I've changed the formula to keep the cell references: ='1'!$B$3:$E$3 I now need the formula to increment the sheet number each time, PLEASE!!! Thanks, Lisa Presumably you want to sum data from that range? Try this: =3DSUM(INDIR...

How set totals of various cells with per colour fill value?
I have a sheet containing values as follows. April May June company 1 43 company 2 5 company 3 17 The cell values are also coured to indice a status. Somewhere beside the table I want to mention the totals of the cells, per status (so per colour). How to perform the latter? Thank you. Bart Excell 2003 See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html for a working solution -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove xxx from email address if mailing direct) "AA Arens" <bartvandongen@gmail.com> wrote in mes...

Web Services access to MS-CRM by Java and http: post
I am trying to integrate MS-CRM with a number of non .NET based applications. While it's true that MS-CRM is based on a web services architecture, the only way I've been able to successfully integrate is by uilding .NET code using the Microsoft Proxy dll. Is there any third party integrator that simply takes all the Microsoft CRM objects and exposes them through standard SOAP calls or better yet, http posts? I want to be able to call alll of the MS-CRM objects from non .NET platforms without having to custom code every object. - Sterling This is a multi-part message in MIME forma...

how we can retrieve the value of edit control of combobox.
hi guys, how r u, can you please tell me how we can retrieve the value of edit control of combo box. actually i want to allow the user to input data in the combobox and then save this data in the database. i don't want to select already exist data in list box of combobox. please help me. raghunandan_1081@yahoo.com wrote: > hi guys, how r u, can you please tell me how we can retrieve the value > of edit control of combo box. actually i want to allow the user to > input data in the combobox and then save this data in the database. i > don't want to select already exist da...

Use list options to hide columns
Excel 97 Hi, I was wondering if the following is possible in excel: <big deep breath> I have 4 separate worksheets for data entry and results calculation for radiation detection, each is a separate type of test. These worksheets/tests share a lot of common Fields for data input and calculations, what I want to do is combine the worksheets and show/hide only the columns relevant to each test. In column A, I have added a drop down list of 4 different types of test. Depending on the type of test I select; call them A, B, C & D Can I use a List to control which columns are sho...

how do I create an adp in access 2010
My commercial app developed over ten years uses an Access adp 'structure file' connected to SQL Server. I want to try developing in the Access 2010 IDE but can't figure out how to get started. Yes, I could create an adp in 2007 or 2003 and open it in 2010 but that's cheating! Stephen Solt Planchest ltd Hi, it looks like there is no way to create adp in 2010 (but keep in mind - 2010 is beta yet). Microsoft recommends making MDB with linked tables, and perhaps reduces support for ADP -- Best regards, ___________ Alex Dybenko (MVP) http://accessblog....