Corruption of Access File

Hi

I think that since my client and myself don't have the same version of
Access the file gets corrupted when I get the latest version from my client
(they have Access 2000 and I have Access 2003)

What can be done?

Thank you,
Samuel

0
Samuel
9/18/2007 11:00:41 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Perform this sequence when you get the updated file:
    Compact | Decompile | Compact | Compact | Compile

To compact:
    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair

To decompile, enter something like this at the command prompt while Access
is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes:
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"

To compile, open the code window and choose Compile on the Debug menu.

If the database has startup code, hold down the Shift key during each
operation so that Access doesn't automatically compile and run the code.

Explanation:
========
Each version of Access has a different binary (compiled version of the
code.) Theoretically, it should transparently recompile into its own binary
from the text version of the code, but this process is not perfect. The
decompile instructs Access to discard the binary, which is then recreated by
the compile.

It may also help to open Tools | Options (in the code window), and uncheck
the box for Compile On Demand.

"Samuel" <samuel.shulman@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> I think that since my client and myself don't have the same version of
> Access the file gets corrupted when I get the latest version from my
> client (they have Access 2000 and I have Access 2003)
>
> What can be done?
>
> Thank you,
> Samuel

0
Allen
9/18/2007 11:44:19 PM
Thank you for your time

Samuel

> Perform this sequence when you get the updated file:
>    Compact | Decompile | Compact | Compact | Compile
>
> To compact:
>    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair
>
> To decompile, enter something like this at the command prompt while Access
> is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes:
>    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
>        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"
>
> To compile, open the code window and choose Compile on the Debug menu.
>
> If the database has startup code, hold down the Shift key during each
> operation so that Access doesn't automatically compile and run the code.
>
> Explanation:
> ========
> Each version of Access has a different binary (compiled version of the
> code.) Theoretically, it should transparently recompile into its own
> binary from the text version of the code, but this process is not perfect.
> The decompile instructs Access to discard the binary, which is then
> recreated by the compile.
>
> It may also help to open Tools | Options (in the code window), and uncheck
> the box for Compile On Demand.

> "Samuel" <samuel.shulman@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I think that since my client and myself don't have the same version of
>> Access the file gets corrupted when I get the latest version from my
>> client (they have Access 2000 and I have Access 2003)
>>
>> What can be done?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Samuel

0
Samuel

Importing into Excel from a Text file
We have a text database of about 7,000 rings. It is in a fixed format. Unfortunately some where we have about 4 or five rings whose format is screwed up. We figured by importing to Excel, we should be able to find where the records are to fix them. But, we just can't get the following format to import into excel. If anyone can help us, we sure would appreciate it! Thank you Greg Gates www.ringdesigner.com Each record begins with Begin Product Each record endswith EndProduct a semicolin seperates each record Also there are para symbols at the end of every line Herer are a...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

learning access 01-31-08
Inform me a reliable interactive source to learn microsoft access On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:58:36 +0530, "Manas Ranjan Nayak" <manasrn@sancharnet.in> wrote: >Inform me a reliable interactive source to learn microsoft access Here's some places to look: Jeff Conrad's resources page: http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html The Access Web resources page: http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html A free tutorial written by Crystal (MS Access MVP): http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html MVP Allen Browne's tutorials: http://allenbrowne.co...

Save for Web (.htm) file
I have two similarly structured XLS file. One file "A" is much longer...perhaps 2000 rows long...when saved as a htm file it is around 500KB. I take another XLS spreadsheet that looks like the same structure...rows and colums...only about 560 rows...when I save this as webpage .htm it ends up being 11.2MB. What the heck happened? How do I get it down in size. There is no apparent reason why a smaller file ends up being 11 time larger that the smaller file when saved! Thanks, --confused ...

point exchange to a different priv1.edb file
I have a snapshot of my priv1.edb file on a different drive. I know that exchange 2003 lets us me the priv1.edb file to a different location if the file isn't already there. Is there a way to have exchange point to a different priv1.edb and use it? On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:31:01 -0700, Han <Han@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I have a snapshot of my priv1.edb file on a different drive. I know that >exchange 2003 lets us me the priv1.edb file to a different location if the >file isn't already there. > >Is there a way to have exchange point to a differ...

storing multiple list selections in access
i have 2 tables, table a and table b. is it possibile for a control bound to table a (a list box, with multiple selections eneabled) to be able to select multiple records from table b, and store them? i.e. table A record 1 has table B records 1,2,3,4,8,12, and so on selected while Table A record 2 only has table B records 3, 8 and 15 selected, and so on.. is there some way to store those selections within table A? for those curious, i'm making a character sheet for an RPG.. table A is the actual sheet, while B is the list of spells.. i'm looking for a way to store which spells each ...

Password on access
Hi!! I'm working on a database that has a few tables that everyone can access. I want to give permision to other people to see them but not to change any of the data. I have tried to make users and administrators but it seems to work in only one computer... Does someone know how to do this? Thank u very much!!! On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 07:34:02 -0700, Yael <Yael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi!! >I'm working on a database that has a few tables that everyone can access. I >want to give permision to other people to see them but not to change any of >the data. &...

Hyperlink Error
I have a hyperlink set-up for a netwrok file. It works fine, but when the file is copied the hyperlin chages to the folder that the file has been copied to. original link - L:\folder\folder\file Changes to - C:\file How can I get it to keep the original link? Justin ...

how do i turn on overtype in microsoft access
how do i turn on overtype in microsoft access Press the 'Insert' key once. -- Build a little, test a little. "Mandolin Man" wrote: > how do i turn on overtype in microsoft access Push the Insert Key on your keyboard. If you want to do it in code, the key constant is vbKeyInsert -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access "Mandolin Man" <MandolinMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1997028-190E-4EB8-BDDD-46C8E586332E@microsoft.com... > how do i turn ...

getting a single line from a file
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to read a single line from a text file. I tried using getline, but my MFC program does not recognize the getline function. Nor does it recognize <string> or <string.h> or using namespace std. So is there another function that I can use in MFC? Roger Take a look at the CStdioFile MFC class. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "R.H." <roger.huggins@intermec.com> wrote in message news:e98o6IMmDHA.1764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I was wondering if someone could tell me ho...

overwritten file
I have a client that overwrote an excel sheet. He did not have autorecovery on. Is there any way to recover this document? Sorry, no. -- John johnf202 at hotmail dot com "mark" <mark@mwts.cc> wrote in message news:4c7501c356ae$89ae8500$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have a client that overwrote an excel sheet. He did not > have autorecovery on. Is there any way to recover this > document? Backup file is pretty much his only option if one exists. Has he perhaps sent the file anywhere else that he can get a copy back from, or if so he could possibly still have a ...

File Size #4
Using Windows XP and Office 2007 Is there a reason that Publisher files keep growing in size? We have a weekly bulletin with some static information and some information that changes from week to week. On Monday, we open last week's publication, delete the no-longer-relavent text boxes and pictures, and add new text boxes and pictures for the current week. That has been our standard practice. I just noticed that the file size is increasing exponentially which leads me to believe that even though I delete things, there is still some sort of "ghost" material left in the...

SP3 Problem
Ever since I installed SP3 for Office XP, I have been getting the following error - "A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" I get this error only when I use Word as my email editor. Hence what is happening is that Outlook thinks that Word is a rogue program trying to send unauthorized emails. My question is, is there a way to prevent this - a whitelist of programs for example? Ajit Disable the PDFMaker addin. (See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems for details on how to do this.) "Aj...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

Windows Easy Transfer won't load files?
I ran Windows Easy Transfer on my laptop with Windows 7 RC1 to save and move my profile data because Win 7 RC is shutting down. I am trying to install the Windows Easy Tranfer data to Windows Vista Business. Each time I try it won't read the file but keep asking for the drive with the data to be loaded. I tried a test by moving the the data (.MIG) files out of the folder I saved them to and put them in the root of the drive but that didn't help. I tried a test of copying the files to the root of C: and now it actually sees the file for the short test at home I trying in t...

Excel or Access?
I have server data that is about 200-300 rows/records and includes abou 25 columns/fields. Coworkers have suggested that this data shoul reside in a database, such as Access, and then import/link to it fro Excel for reporting purposes. Does anyone have a recommendation/comment/suggestion on this? I a comfortable using Excel as my "database" for this data that will no grow much larger than it already is, and is easier for me to perfor the reporting in Excel simply on another sheet. Thanks! Ric -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Why fix what's not broken? ...

Outlook accessing Eudora
This has happened before. There are 2 of us, one uses outlook and I use Eudora...again Outlook is doing the default email client thing and accessing my email to his account...GRRRR! Does anyone know how to stop this? There are two sides of the computer using XP Pro...I simply do not understand why they set outlook up like this?! Is it to keep us from using other non Microsoft products???? HELP PLEASE! ...

List of File Extensions
Is there a list somewhere that contains the file extensions used in Office 2003 applications? I need to backup files before re-installing my OS. These include files that store settings, customizations, macros, Outlook address books, etc. ...

Making Design Gallery Objects available to other files in publishe
Hello, I created some custom objects and saved them to the Design Gallery, and they did appear under My Objects. However, I saved the file and opened up a new one and to my shock My Objects was empty. I opened the earlier file where I created and saved the objects and they were still there. Does this mean that the Design Gallery if file-specific and not saved in a Publisher Application file for use in other .pub files? Perhaps that is the default setting that can be changed later. Please help me on this matter. Thank you in advance for your support. Alcide <Alcide@discussions.micr...

publisher 97 won't import a file graph of acceptable quality.
To MSFT: Let me try this again. I have Pub 97 that I must use for writing a manual. I try to import a black and white graphic-a chart, in jpeg or gif or whatever,but the graphic is of such poor quality that it can not be used. This only happens in my Publisher program. I have tried to change the adapter accerleration reading, but it does not help. Does anyone else have this problem with the older version of Pub 97? Do you have this problem with later versions of Publisher? Any ideas are appeciated. Check your graphics filters. Might have some corruption going on. They are in a folder sim...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...

I can not remove the read only from a file on a cd why
Can someone help me. When I store a file on a cd and then retrieve it, I can not edit it, it comes back as read only. When I go to the file and try to change the attribue within the properties and remove the read only access it is denied. If I save on the hard drive I can make what ever changes I want. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Jeff Smith (212) 929-8024 Jeff, as far as I'm aware, it is still not possible to save a file directly to a CD, as it needs to be "burnt" via burning software . This includes any changes to the file if you have opened it directly from...

Notes to a File
Hello, I use my Notes to store usernames and passwords (bad, I know). I want to transfer them all to a Word File and then delete them but I can't seem to do this in bulk. Any ideas? Thanks! "GeorgeA" <GeorgeA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8115371-3ADE-421B-90A5-3CCB833DC8D0@microsoft.com... > I use my Notes to store usernames and passwords (bad, I know). I want to > transfer them all to a Word File and then delete them but I can't seem to do > this in bulk. Export your Notes folder to a CSV or TSV file and open that in Wor...

Access file size limit for 2003 and 2007 and memory issue
(1) Can someone tell me the max file size of Access file?(2) Also, when I open a 2GB Access file, does it uses 2 GB of memory?The reason I asked is that when I opened such file, I see theavailable memory in the Tasks Manager window went down to zerogradually.(3) I saw some posts that suggested using table link to deal with thesize issue, but would the performance (speed) go down when runningqueries using tables from two different Access file?- Grasshopper - "Grasshopper" <excelmodeling@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1174962344.143858.324700@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...>...

Simple File Saving question...
Everytime I open an Excel spreadsheet it opens to the last cell that I edited. Does anyone know how to make an Excel spreadsheet open to the top left cell on the first worksheet everytime... regardless of where I saved it last? Thanks, Ian Hi Ian, Try this Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate Range("A1").Select End Sub 'This is workbook event code. 'To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet '(or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks), 'select View Code from the menu, and paste the...