Copying a database, how do I change security?

I have a split app (developed using A2000) which my own office has been
using for several months. Another office has recently asked me to make a
copy for their use. I am happy to do so, however, both the FE and BE are
fully secured and I'm not sure how to change security on the copies to
recognize the personnel at the other office and to stop recognizing the
personnel at my office.

I confess that I never fully understood Acess' user level security process.
I implemented security originally by following specific steps from a
textbook which I no longer have. I do understand about granting permissions
for objects and creating accounts and user groups, but somehow the big
picture does not come into focus for me. And I remember being warned against
using the Security Wizard, which every textbook I skimmed in the bookshops
today seems to recommend using.

I would appreciate all the help I can get, many thanks in advance.

0
David
12/9/2007 1:32:00 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

David Portwood wrote:
> I have a split app (developed using A2000) which my own office has
> been using for several months. Another office has recently asked me
> to make a copy for their use. I am happy to do so, however, both the
> FE and BE are fully secured and I'm not sure how to change security
> on the copies to recognize the personnel at the other office and to
> stop recognizing the personnel at my office.
>
> I confess that I never fully understood Acess' user level security
> process. I implemented security originally by following specific
> steps from a textbook which I no longer have. I do understand about
> granting permissions for objects and creating accounts and user
> groups, but somehow the big picture does not come into focus for me.
> And I remember being warned against using the Security Wizard, which
> every textbook I skimmed in the bookshops today seems to recommend
> using.
> I would appreciate all the help I can get, many thanks in advance.

Make your copies and then open each one as a user with administrative
permissions.  Grant full permissions on all objects to the Users group.  These
copies should now be usable for anyone using any workgroup file.

If you want to be more thorough, then open Access using a non-secure workgroup
(no login prompt).  Create two new files and import into each of them all of the
objects from the respective copies made previously.  Those files will be
identical to files where security was never applied.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
12/9/2007 1:45:07 AM
"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> David Portwood wrote:
>> I have a split app (developed using A2000) which my own office has
>> been using for several months. Another office has recently asked me
>> to make a copy for their use. I am happy to do so, however, both the
>> FE and BE are fully secured and I'm not sure how to change security
>> on the copies to recognize the personnel at the other office and to
>> stop recognizing the personnel at my office.
>>
>> I confess that I never fully understood Acess' user level security
>> process. I implemented security originally by following specific
>> steps from a textbook which I no longer have. I do understand about
>> granting permissions for objects and creating accounts and user
>> groups, but somehow the big picture does not come into focus for me.
>> And I remember being warned against using the Security Wizard, which
>> every textbook I skimmed in the bookshops today seems to recommend
>> using.
>> I would appreciate all the help I can get, many thanks in advance.
>
> Make your copies and then open each one as a user with administrative
> permissions.  Grant full permissions on all objects to the Users group.
> These copies should now be usable for anyone using any workgroup file.

If I did this, wouldn't I destroy security on the original app? I'm
expecting that I'll need to make a copy of the .mdw file. Is this not true?

> If you want to be more thorough, then open Access using a non-secure
> workgroup (no login prompt).  Create two new files and import into each of
> them all of the objects from the respective copies made previously.  Those
> files will be identical to files where security was never applied.

I don't want to let everyone use the copies. I have an existing security
arrangement, consisting of three groups of users. On the copies, I want to
include the personnel from the other office into these groups and remove the
personnel from my own office.

0
David
12/9/2007 2:23:40 AM
David Portwood wrote:
>> If I did this, wouldn't I destroy security on the original app? I'm
> expecting that I'll need to make a copy of the .mdw file. Is this not
> true?

Not at all.  These are copies.  How could doing something to them do anything to
the originals?

> I don't want to let everyone use the copies. I have an existing
> security arrangement, consisting of three groups of users. On the
> copies, I want to include the personnel from the other office into
> these groups and remove the personnel from my own office.

Then you do need to copy the MDW as well as the other files.  Then while logged
into the copied MDW remove all users currently in there and add the new ones.
In other words, do what you would do if one person quit and a replacement was
hired.  Do that same thing to everyone.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...
RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
Rick
12/9/2007 3:11:11 AM
> Then while logged into the copied MDW remove all users currently in there
> and add the new ones. In other words, do what you would do if one person
> quit and a replacement was hired.  Do that same thing to everyone.

Yes! This I understand. Thanks, Rick.

0
David

Changing Resource and fields on a subform
I have a subform with fields on it that are present when i first open the form. But when I click on a status button, I'd like the subform to change the fields that are present. For instance when i first open the fields are formid, lastname, firstname, subject, date, range But when i click on formstatus button, i'd like the fields to show: formid, subject, range, product I know how to use recordsource to change the recordsource, but then the fields that I am not using show up as #name? How do I get the subform to change field names so that the fields I am not using, doesn't show ...

Paste links, changed filename
I have created 3 exel 97 Files. Each File has approx 30 sheets. One of them is a source file. The other 2 use file1 data using paste link(paste special). At some stage I have changed the names of the files and now when I open them it asks the usual question " do you want to update linked information", Iclick "yes" ~ then the computer wants me to select the source file. Before, it just started straight into the file I wanted ~ how can i resolve this( with as little effort as possible)? Try hitting no, then do Edit / Links / Change Source, save the workbook and hopef...

"Change Credit Details" button does not appear
I would like to update my interest rates and credit limits monthly, but the "Change Credit Details" button does not appear when I go under the accounts' settings. In microsoft.public.money, mar11974 wrote: >I would like to update my interest rates and credit limits monthly, but the >"Change Credit Details" button does not appear when I go under the accounts' >settings. See if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281109/en-us helps. I've no idea if it helped the original poster, but it seems I have the same issue, and it didn't help me. I'm ...

copy sheet with range names
I'm making 2 copies of an existing worksheet within a workbook. The original sheet has lots of range names. Now, when I make my copies, the range names are screwed up and are referring to the new sheet instead of the original one. What's up with that? I don't see any options related to range names. Deleting and resetting the names would take forever, as would "re-defining". I shouldn't have to do that. Any ideas? -- RMC,CPA I think if you look at your range names, you'll find that xl localized the copies. When it copied the worksheet, it had to do something ...

can i change the read receipt
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0108_01C6AD7D.3E5D58A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The read receipt by default set by outlook can be changed if yes pls. = let me know how ??? ITDuke ------=_NextPart_000_0108_01C6AD7D.3E5D58A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"te...

OleObject not copied properly
Hello, I have an activeX component inserted in Excel sheet. The component has some colors property that display properly on the sheet and when printed. The problem is that the updated colors of the component do not appear when the range containing the component is pasted to other applications, such Word or PowerPoint, as pictures or Excel editable. Even if I save the sheet to HTML, the updated colors do not display and only the original colors appear Is there a way to force the correct copying, as it actually shows in Excel Regards Avi ...

Change height of row
Excel seems to limit the height of the row to some presets. Is there a way to set height of row to any height? Am trying to make spreadsheet line up with a pre-printed form. Hi i think the limit is 1 pixel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Pam MacT" <Pam MacT@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:CCAE9073-80C5-47B1-B103-7834241AF34B@microsoft.com... > Excel seems to limit the height of the row to some presets. Is there a > way > to set height of row to any height? Am trying to make spreadsheet line up > with a pre-printed form. ...

how to change business address
I can't seem to figure out for the life of me WHERE OR HOW to change my business address so my NEW address prints on my invoices now that I have moved. Can anyone help me with this? PLEASE????? LGLEIM In microsoft.public.money, LGleim wrote: > can't seem to figure out for the life of me WHERE OR HOW to change my >business address so my NEW address prints on my invoices now that I have >moved. Can anyone help me with this? PLEASE????? Is there a Tools->Settings->BusinessInformation place? YES!!! You did it! Thank you so much! "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote: ...

Changing info from one worksheet to the next
Hi all. I have linked my 55 sheets to one which is great. What i need to know now if possible. Each sheet has the same question over 11 columns Each row is dated and a numeric number from 1 - 10 in each row Now on the master sheet where everything is linked, is there a way that If i changed the date on the master sheet it would reflect the answers from the row with that date? At present the answers showing is for 01/03/10, but i would like to look at the totals for 08/03/10 and show the answers from each sheet for that date. I could have a sheet for each week, but im hoping there i...

Copy / Paste of Floorplan shapes in Visio Automation problems
Hi All I am working on a .Net (FW1.1) application that has a hosted Visio drawing control. Copy and paste from most existing Visio drawings to this hosted control works fine. The exception to this rule is Visio floorplans, where copying and pasting of most shapes is OK, but walls go totally screwed up (all over the screen, nothing like their original shape, etc). Our client needs to be able to copy and paste the floorplans into this container control without the walls breaking; they have a large investment already made i.t.o. existing floorplans. Page scaling and size is the same as the exi...

Changing name from Arabic to English
I, m registering all new recruitment employees so always I'm writing the employee name by Arabic and English. So there is any code to change automatically the person name for Arabic to English ...

Database Engine Tuning Advisor and autocomplete
Hello there, in the never ending quest for better GP performance, I am onto indexes. I am convinced that there are additional indexes that can improve GP in real life situations, but have been unable to find anyone listing indexes they have used. So my question is, has anyone used the tuning advisor in sql server 05 and implemented its reccomendations? Were there noticable effects on GP performance? While I can run a trace against production and the advisor against a dev environment, I am still wary of implementing the changes in production... On a side question, where are the actu...

How do you turn off "Save a copy/Overwrite changes" dialog box
Hello Guys, I have created a (password to open) workbook using Excel 2003 SP1 on a shared network drive which when I try to save by using Ctrl S or clicking the Save icon gives me an irritating dialog box which asks: "The file 'filename.xls' may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case what do you want to do?" -Save a copy -Overwrite changes Please can someone tell me how to deactivate this annoying dialog box as I have been unsuccesful so far in my efforts :confused: Many thanks in advance Nick -- Nicko -----------------------------...

How do I change mailbox owner in AD?
How do I change a mailbox owner in AD? Can it be done? T. The mailbox is linked to the user account. You can grant an additional user(s) "owner" access by granting Full Mailbox access on the Exchange Advanced Tab of the user properties. Glen "Thomas Houseman" <thomashouseman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OZwMptUxEHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > How do I change a mailbox owner in AD? Can it be done? > > T. > > Verify that you have mailbox retention enabled. ( right-click mailbox store/properties/limits). This is extremely Important! ...

Permission for account change
Dear Friends I have my domain as abc.com I have another domain xyz.com for which i have created a separate account for the users so that they can send the email with both the domain by using from filed. i have one user user1 who is facing problem i have created userxyz for with the default email address of xyz.com domain but i am facing strange problem as the permission of sending email is reseting. Kindly suggest what can be the problem. best regards Niitmalad What version of Exchange and how/where exactly it is resetting? Niitmalad wrote: > Dear Friends > > I have...

change the size of Font for reading incoming mail
hi, buddies. I'd like to change the Font with incoming email in my outlook2003. my operation is in the following. click options on the Tools menu, and then click Mail Setup tab, click Fonts. So I change the Font in this items:"When composing and reading plain text" but I can't find the font to take any change when I read incoming email. What my question is how I can change the Font size in the incoming email. thanks is the incoming mail plain text and the change isn't working or is the incoming mail html? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://ww...

Worksheet Change Event log for multiple cells
Dear All, I have a spreadsheet that is available here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b02e5h4/n/Worksheet_change_event.zip (although I scanned it for viruses please make sure you do it again prior to opening it as I cannot guarantee it's worm free). I would like to create a log file in an additional sheet (hidden probably) that would record every activity from column E after clicking a button assigned to a cell in that column and show these records in a worksheet Totals in a specific row. For example: Column A from a worksheet „Totals” corresponds with column A in ...

Copy/Paste to Match Destination Formatting -- BY DEFAULT
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel As a long time PC Word user, I have been accustomed to the large amount of preference customization that is available. One CRUCIAL (for me) customization option in PC Word is the ability to set the default action when pasting from one program (the web or Acrobat) to Word. <br><br>By default, both Word 2008 (mac) and Word 2007 (PC) keep the source formatting when pasting between programs. To me that makes no sense, because 9 out of 10 times you don't want your word document to have many differ...

Icons changed in Favorites since update
Just updated windows latest update - and now the icons in my favorites have changed to a "square with a star" - at least 80% are like this - what happened. Thanks for anyhelp ...

changing defalt from OE to Outlook
When I move into a folder and want to send a picture or file attachment to someone, I right click the mouse and use the mail option. The only problem is the attachement loads up express and I'm using normal Outlook. How can I change the defalt to be normal outlook and not express. I'm on windows 98. Thanks, Go to Internet Explorer. Tools | Internet Options | Programs. Change the default mail program to Outlook. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr/Computers/OneNoteFAQ.htm **...

Chart- View Labels- Shared Database...
I am working out of a database used by two other individuals. When I attempt to print a report, my chart does not display the labels. If I open the chart in design view, I am unable to view the labels, but if I go further and actually open the chart all information is displayed. The other individuals working in the database are able to readily review the reports and print the data without any problem. We are all using the Access version, and I have already installed the Office Service Pack 3 fix. Nothing seems to working. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. ...

NumberFormat not getting changing onFly changing the regional sett
Hi Excel experts , Sorry for posting a new question over here. I am having a hard time with one of a Excel related issue. Requirement: 1) User pulls some data ( includes numeric,Date fields ) to excel when he/she is with German OS settings. Date show in following format: dd.mm.yyyy ( eg: 23.09.2010) 2) Now on the fly he/she changes the OS regional settings to En-US 3) Here our code again reformats those columns with current regional settings and polish the data according to its regional settings. 4) In our case all numeric values are getiing changed correctly to the ...

Copy setup and master on GP 9.0
Does any one know how to copy all setup and master tables from the existing company to a new company? The GP version is 9.0 and SQL Server is 2005. I found following KB article, but it is for GP 8.0 https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;872709 Thanks, Hiroshi ------=_NextPart_0001_55418947 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hiroshi, You are correct. KB article 872709 "How to copy setup tables from one company to another in Great Plains" will work. It works for both 8.0 and 9.0. If you need help on how to copy tables, there...

OWA 2000 change password feature doesn't work
I cannot get the 'change password' button to work in OWA. I'm running an OWA front-end server running Exchange 2000 post SP3 rollup on Windows 2000 Server SP4. I have it configured for require SSL only. My Exchange 2000 backend servers are Exchange 2000 post SP3 rollup on Windows 2000 Server SP4 as well. My domain controllers are Windows 2003 Servers in 2003 native-mode. All are in the same domain. I have even created the virtual directory IISADMPWD and pointed it to the \winnt\system32\inetsrv\iisadmpwd directory. The directory has .htr files in it. The last thing I try wa...

Windows Mail has changed and I don't like it, how can I get it bac
My windows page has changed. I used to be able to double click on the sender and get the messaget displayed in the entire window. What happens is I have to scroll down on the sidebar to see the entire message. I want my mail to look as it originally did. Double click on the mail item in the list to open it in its own separate window. Were you talking about viewing in the "preview pane" when you mentioned using the scroll bar to view the entire message? You can disable that at View - Layout - Reading / Preview Pane - uncheck the "show" option. "...