Copy field data to multiple places

Newbi here....  I have a access 07 file of about 1000 records (rows) and a
field (column) I'll call the "project number".  All the records do not have
the project number inserted as of yet.  Is there a simple means to insert a
project number in say 50 records at a time, another project number in
another 75 records etc.  Copy/Paste will do it but may take months to enter.
Any suggestions appreciated.  TIA

0
Meebers
2/27/2008 8:31:05 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:31:05 -0500, "Meebers" <justme@idontkno.com> wrote:

>Newbi here....  I have a access 07 file of about 1000 records (rows) and a
>field (column) I'll call the "project number".  All the records do not have
>the project number inserted as of yet.  Is there a simple means to insert a
>project number in say 50 records at a time, another project number in
>another 75 records etc.  Copy/Paste will do it but may take months to enter.
>Any suggestions appreciated.  TIA

If you're making the assumption that a table (like a spreadsheet) even HAS the
concept of "next 50 records" you're On The Wrong Track. A Table is NOT a
spreadsheet and has no defined or usable order! Is there data in this table
already, or are you working with blank placeholder records? Does it matter
WHICH 50 records get the next project number, or is it totally arbitrary?
Context please!

--
             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:31:05 -0500, "Meebers" <justme@idontkno.com> wrote:
>
>>Newbi here....  I have a access 07 file of about 1000 records (rows) and a
>>field (column) I'll call the "project number".  All the records do not
>>have
>>the project number inserted as of yet.  Is there a simple means to insert
>>project number in say 50 records at a time, another project number in
>>another 75 records etc.  Copy/Paste will do it but may take months to
>>enter.
>>Any suggestions appreciated.  TIA
>>

> If you're making the assumption that a table (like a spreadsheet) even HAS
> the
> concept of "next 50 records" you're On The Wrong Track. A Table is NOT a
> spreadsheet and has no defined or usable order! Is there data in this
> table
> already, or are you working with blank placeholder records? Does it matter
> WHICH 50 records get the next project number, or is it totally arbitrary?
> Context please!
>

> --
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

John,  there already is data populating the table.  The field "project
number" has some entrys filled in, some are blank needing numbers.  The
person who originally started this db, either did not take the time to fill
it in or did not know the project number at that time.  Of the 1000+
records, there are approximately 200 project numbers assigned.  One specific
project number may be scattered throughout the table and the object is to
query the records of a particular project.  Sorry if the terminology is not
exactly correct, but hope you understand my task.

0
Meebers
2/28/2008 1:35:19 AM
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:35:19 -0500, "Meebers" <justme@idontkno.com> wrote:

>John,  there already is data populating the table.  The field "project
>number" has some entrys filled in, some are blank needing numbers.  The
>person who originally started this db, either did not take the time to fill
>it in or did not know the project number at that time.  Of the 1000+
>records, there are approximately 200 project numbers assigned.  One specific
>project number may be scattered throughout the table and the object is to
>query the records of a particular project.  Sorry if the terminology is not
>exactly correct, but hope you understand my task.

"scattered throughout the table"...

If you had the 1000 projects printed out each on a sheet of paper, would you
be able to shuffle the stack, deal off fifty pages and write in the first
project number you come to?

Or is there information in the table which indicates which project number goes
with which record?

A Update query can do this... but I still do not understand how you ascertain
WHICH project number goes with WHICH record.
--
             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
2/28/2008 2:21:34 AM

> A Update query can do this... but I still do not understand how you
> ascertain
> WHICH project number goes with WHICH record.
> --
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

WHICH record gets WHICH project number is a combination of 3 other fields.
Date, Location, Builder.  But is not straight forward as some human
intervention still has to be involved. (Their are sub-projects within other
projects)  In spite of all of this, I have had some success by EXPORTING the
file into Excel, Filtering, and adding the project number where it has to be
and then IMPORTING it back to Access.  I tried Text, PDF/XPS and word to do
this but Excel was by far the easiest.

0
Meebers

Help with number field
In a table called Payments; I have a field called CheckNumber. Its data type is number Its field size is Long Integer Its format is General Number Whenever the check number is more than 4 digits I get "1E+0" printed on the receipt. What am I overlooking? Thanks for any help. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Try making the CheckNumber text box larger. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Dave Eliot" <dave.eliot@gmail.com> wrote in message news:46c10059$0$23226$88260bb3@free.te...

Need to create a data file (pst) to be opened by some else in her
Hi, I have a buch of emails stored in an archive that I need to send or give to my replacement so she can open them in her outlook. Once she's able to open them I need to deleted, that is why I'm not using "Delegation". Does someone knows how can I do this? Thanks JJE. I forgot to mention that I have outlook 2007 while the other person has outlook 2003. Thanks, JJE "Jake" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a buch of emails stored in an archive that I need to send or give to > my replacement so she can open them in her outlook. > Once she's able ...

Pivot Table Source Data #2
I think I remember being able to take a pivot table view of data and "double-click" on something (like the column headings or the whole sheet) and a new sheet would be created showing all the background data used to form the pivot table. If you know how to do this, could you please describe the steps for doing this? If your pivottable shows a grand total cell (usually in the bottom right corner), try double clicking on that cell. Billy wrote: > > I think I remember being able to take a pivot table view of data and > "double-click" on something (like the column...

Multiple Exchange accounts into one Inbox
I have an Exchange 2000 Server and 16 employees, most of which who work at our client's offices. They have laptops with WinXP and Outlook 2002 which are attached to the local network. Our clients have Exchange as well. Currently, we use Outlook to read our email and calendaring for our accounts on the client's network. Additionally, we log in via WebAccess to do the same for our company email and calendaring. My employees find that checking multiple locations for email/calendar/tasks very time-consuming. I'm considering the idea of installing a VPN so employees ...

keeping an object locked in place
Is there a way to lock objects? If they are accidentally clicked, they get moved around. I know this is pilot error, but if there's a way lock things in place, it would be helpful. You can put objects on the Master Page. Ctrl+m -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Paul Shotola" <PaulShotola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2015C2FA-67EF-4833-9458-D3EED1A3745C@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to lock objects? If they are accidentally clicked, they get > moved around. I know this...

find the data of the corresponding column
Use the example below, "," is the delimiter between cells. item1, content1, code1, 111 item2, content2, code2, 23 item3, content3, code3, 11 item1, content1, code1, 34 item4, content4, code4, 222 item2, content2, code2, 45 item4, content4, code4, 33 I've simplified the items to item1 item2 item3 item4 I'd like to have Excel to pick up the data of the next column of the same row (eg. item1 => content1). It's kind of sumproduct that matches the data, but it just place the first text it finds instead of adding up all occurance. Thanks for the help, On Thu, 1 May 200...

Adding a field for county in a table of address info
I want to add a county column in a table with address information. I have a list of towns for each county but I am not sure how to best indicate which county that town is included in. I have a list of 700 or so addresses so I don't have time to just type in county info for each address. You could use a lookup table but, as this seems to be a one-time project, the work making the table might be more than just typing. Remember that once you have a county in your new column you will not need to type its name every time as Excel auto-complete feature should take over. I think I woul...

pivot table multiple criteria
Hi, I have a pivot table in which I can select a weeknumber to get the number of visitors in a pivot table and diagram. I'm looking for a possibility to select multiple weeknumbers and get the combined result in a pivot table and diagram. I was thinking of a kind of selection buttons or something like that. Any help or suggestion is more than welcome. Kind regards, Chris Hi Chris I am assuming you are working with XL2003 or earlier. Is your field a Page field? If so, drag it to the Row area, make your Multiple selections and drag back to the Page area where the selection will s...

Email multiple reports 11-16-07
Hello, I have a database where I need to send one email with several reports in it. Is there vb code to do that? On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 05:32:01 -0800, Brett <Brett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Nothing built-in. DoCmd.SendObject can only send one report at a time. So you need to first save the reports (e.g. to PDF files), then create an email with multiple attachments. If you use Google, I'm sure you can locate some sample code. -Tom. >Hello, >I have a database where I need to send one email with several reports in it. > Is there vb code to do that? How about this...

Can't get chart from SQL Data
Hello Friends, Please help to solve this problem: I run SQL query, received the output, saved them in Excel and tried to plot a chart but no success. Actually I only can plot the chart after I re-write all data in equation type, I can't get chart from original Excel data which contain decimals. BRs, A I've been doing the same as you, getting data from SQL data base using a Query, I define the cell where I want the results be posted, lets say starting in column J through K, including the columns headers. Then I build the Chart for the data in column J, lets say a Line Chart, a...

I would like all upper case in a field........
I have a field in my access database form that I would like to have all upper case. Can someone tell me what I should do. Thanks In VBA you can simply use the UCase() function ie: UCase("change this to uppercase") You could tie this into a form event to change the data entered by your user automatically. Something like Me.ControlName = UCase(Me.ControlName) where ControlName is the name of the control whose data you wish to have displayed/saved in uppercase. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault If this post was helpful, please rate it by using the vote buttons. &q...

Field Service w/ Project Accounting
Hi, We provide software installation and support for various accounting software packages. We are currenly using (GP10) Project Accounting to track our project costs. We enter our time and expenses in PDK, which is posted to P/R and billing. Invoices are printed from Project Accounting. This all works fine. We wish to use Field Service to dispatch support calls. Has anyone used both Project Accounting and Field Service together? Can Field Service be properly used w/o using the Service Call Billing? Thanks Dear Glen Good day to you ! We are planning to implement Field service following...

IMPORT DATA #3
I would like to import data to a worksheet from a worksheet on my server. Is there a way to do this? Have you tried Data > Import External Data ? HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I would like to import data to a worksheet from a worksheet on my server. Is >there a way to do this? >. > Thanks Janson. Is there a formula I can use in my opened worksheet that will pull in specific cells, without having the other file open (hyperlink, index do not seem to work)? "Jason Morin" wrote: > Have you tried Data > Import External Data ? &g...

transferring data from different versions
hello is there a way to transfer documents from a 1997 version of publisher to a more recent one? are there any resources to do this? any feedback appreciated. david Publisher 97 will open perfectly in all versions up to the current Publisher 2003. The WordArt will not function correctly, but you can get a utility to download from the Publisher downloads to convert the existing Publisher 97 WordArt into a graphic. No other issues. -- You can simply open a 97 publication with any Publisher version 98 on up, then save. Be aware you may lose some formatting, especially WordArt. Are you wa...

Running saved query from Data menu
In older version of Excel, you use to be able to go to the Data menu and select "Run Saved Query". Now that I've got Office XP, it's disappeared from the menu. How can I run a saved query? ...

Need to seperate alpha numeric data in a cell
I have a number of cells that contain words and numbers. How can I ge rid of or seperate the numbers form the data. e.g Cell A1 contains - Bridge Terminal 123456 I need to just get 123456 Please note numbers can be anywhere in the data and are differen lengths. Thanks in advance Andre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I think you need a user defined function (UDF) for this. Go to the VB editor, insert a new module and enter the following: Function OnlyNumber(xstrIn) Dim i As Integer Dim strReturn As String For i = 1 To Len(xstrIn) If IsNumeric(Mid(xstrIn, i, 1)) Then st...

Data Base Link
I have a workbook with numbered data base items that I use along with other workbooks, which are calculators for this data base information. I currently go to the data base copy the whole row of information then go to the calculator workbook and paste this information. This is tedious and has the potential for errors because in my calculator workbook I have protected some functions in certain cells staggered across the destination row, so I would like to create a macro that will respect the protected cells and enable to data base information to transfer with the entry of the Item numb...

One contact multiple accounts
We work with several contacts who are responsible for multiple accounts and I can't figure out the best way to handle this in CRM. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to handle this? There are a few ways you can skin it. 1. Though contact can belong to only one account, it can be a primary contact for multiple accounts. 2. Built-in Relationship Roles (available under Settings) allow to create new relationships between accounts and contacts. Once relationship is set up, account records are going to be available on a contact form under Relationships. 3. If relationship needs to car...

Copy and paste word to a report
This should be a simple one I hope. I have word document that I want to convert to a report, not linkage to anything, I just want a user to be able to open and print the report. Is this easy or do I have to make a new report with unbound areas? -- Thank you for your time! John You have to make a new report, but you can select the Word text and copy that to paste into 1 or more Access labels. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Very Basic User" <VeryBasicUser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

MS Money 2005
I would like to know if it is possible to print more than one invoice a a time. I have entered my information into the program and into th "Accounts Receivable," but can find not way to print more than on invoice at a time. I would also like to print these invoices using template I have created through the Invoice Designer. Please ca someone help me -- vm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- vmo's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=422 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187097451 It's not possible to batch pr...

Customizing Import Data Wizard
Hi In import functionality of MS-CRM, we have a Import Data Wizard. Here after you upload the data file you get a picklist called "record type" which lists all the entities. How can I customize this picklist? I don't want to display all the entities, only a select few. thanks Rahul Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice C# And The Little Iterator That Could http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/f0cfca12-7398-4b84-a232-0ae26adaa533/c-and-the-little-iterato.aspx ...

Excel data in one cell, need to copy specific values to another worksheet in different cells
I am attempting to copy financial data from one worksheet to another. Unfortunately, the worksheet that I am copying from is formatted as one column of data in column A. The data appears as follows in column A: DISTRICT: Adams County/Ohio Valley Local COUNTY: Adams IRN: 061903 ADM, VALUATION & MILLAGE (1983-1984) SOURCE: SF12 Line 3 Basic ADM 4,916 Assessed value 480,468,317 Total ADM 5,769 Valuation/Basic ADM 97,736 Voted millage (Incl JVS) 20.80 Class1 eff tax rate 20.14 BASIC STATE AID (1983-...

Data labels print with white background
Hi, I am writing a macro to create a xlColumnStacked ChartType. I'm asking Excel to show the series values inside the column wthout borders or fill: For i = 1 To .SeriesCollection.Count .SeriesCollection(i).ApplyDataLabels AutoText:=True, LegendKey:= _ False, ShowSeriesName:=False, ShowCategoryName:=False, ShowValue:=True .SeriesCollection(i).DataLabels.Border.LineStyle = xlNone .SeriesCollection(i).DataLabels.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone Next The graph looks exactly as I would expect: with the values within each column stack and the column colors a...

multiple windows open
When I d-click (open) and excel document 2 windows automatically ope and are labled Title.xls:1 and Title.xls:2. When I close one windo both close. When I re-open the file 2 windows are opened again. I kno how to add more windows, but do not know how to remove them. Any ideas Coudn't find anything under F1. Thank you! -Je -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Just select then close one of the windows using the "x" on its window. Do not close using the Application "x". Save the workbook. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:18:37 -0500, jlklafin...

Copying a formula with a relative cell reference
I've constructed a formula that links information from two spreadsheets. My resulting formula looks like, "=IF('[Purchases & Acq FY03.xls]Jeff'!L$32=1341,+'[Purchases & Acq FY03.xls]Jeff'!D$32)". Well, I need to be able to copy the formula down without manually increasing the row reference from L$32 to L$33, L$34. Please advise me on an easier more efficient to accomplish this. Thanks Hi If I understand you correctly, you can just change L$32 to L32. This will now increment as you fill down. -- Andy. "Tany" <anonymous@discussions.mic...