convert MS Access databases 97 to 2003

I'm planning to convert MS Access databases 97 to 2003.
I have never used MS Access before.
My first step will be:
MS Access 03 > Tools > Convert database > Access 2002-2003 file
format.

What else do I need to know and what else do I need to check?
The application that is working with Access databases (front end)
developed with VB6.
0
anatoly
11/27/2007 10:41:47 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

<anatoly.duzhansky@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm planning to convert MS Access databases 97 to 2003.
> I have never used MS Access before.
> My first step will be:
> MS Access 03 > Tools > Convert database > Access 2002-2003 file
> format.
>
> What else do I need to know and what else do I need to check?
> The application that is working with Access databases (front end)
> developed with VB6.

Since the front end is actually developed with the VB6, are you actually
sure that you really need to use MS access in any way shape or form?

It's not clear if there's actually an MS access application here that's
being used in terms of reports forms etc, or is the vb6 part just using an
access mdb to store the data?

If it's just data, then the conversion to 2003 should be a snap, and they'll
be little problems if any.

However, would also check with the developers of the code base as to if
they'll encounter any problems when you do this. It is possible that the VB6
application has references to the older jet engine (dao 2.5), and for the
new code base, that VB6 code will have to reference dao 3.6.

The data part will convert quite easily, the only question at stake here is
if the the VB6 library of code will work with the new jet engine. It's
possible that the VB6 applications are written using the newer version of
the JET engine, but you're gonna have to check with the original developers
of the code. (or have access to the source code and the VB. project that was
used to build the application).

just of clarify here, the so called JET in June in MS access is what reprise
data from an mdb file.

Yyou can write applications in C++, VB6 etc that read and use data created
in a mdb file. You can use that mdb file even on computers that do NOT have
ms-access installed. (this seems to sound like your current situation).

I think you should have the developers and the people involved who created
this application involved in this process, there is some risk in doing this
without the support of the developers of the VB6 part of this system.

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0