Constructing Hyperlink from the Database Record fields

I am working on a Windows XP environment using MS Office 2007 including
Access 2007.  I want to open a document from Access 2007 which I can easily
do with Hyperlink type field.  However since all the necessary information is
already in the Database Record I try to avoid creating additional field which
would be a Hyperlink type on the Form unless it is absolutely necessary.

Below is the code that I have to construct the FullFileName which consisted
of ServerName, Division, Unit, RequirementDirectory, FolderName and the
FileName itself.  As you can see the Database records has all the necessary
information to construct the FullFileName.

The User is unsophisticated so I cannot expect them to open the document by
doing more than a click or a double-click of the mouse button on the FileName
field on the Form.  If this cannot be done then I have to create another
field of Hyperlink type namely DocLink in the Form, as the code and the
comment indicated at the bottom of the code with that the User could click
Me.DocLink and that will open the document that the User need.

'  Here is the code
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private Sub FileName_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)

Dim stServerName, stDivision, stUnit As String
Dim stFullFileName, stReqDir, stFolderName, stFileName As String

Select Case Me.RequirementID
   Case Is < 10
         stReqDir = "\R000" & Me.RequirementID
   Case Is < 100
         stReqDir = "\R00" & Me.RequirementID
   Case Is < 1000
         stReqDir = "\R0" & Me.RequirementID
   Case Else
         stReqDir = "\R" & Me.RequirementID
End Select

stServerName = "\\MAINSERVER\USERSHARE"
stDivision = "\Division_Requirements"
stUnit = "\Branch_Unit"
stFolderName = "\" & Me.FolderName
stFileName = "\" & Me.FileName
stFullFileName = stServerName & stDivision & stUnit & stReqDir & _
 stFolderName & stFileName
'
'   After getting the Full File Name, the code to open the document should
go here
'   The document or file could be .doc, .xls, .pdf, .txt, etc.
'
'   OR
'
' I could create another field named DocLink with type Hyperlink in the Form
' and add the following code, but then the User has to click field DocLink to
' open the file, I try to avoid this additional step.

Me.DocLink = Me.FileName & “#” & stFullFileName & “#”

End Sub

Any reply is appreciated.

Thank you,

Umar.

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi Umar,

First, you should know that several of your variables are not declared as
you may assume:

Dim stServerName, stDivision, stUnit As String
Dim stFullFileName, stReqDir, stFolderName, stFileName As String

In this case, stUnit and stFileName "begin life" as string variables. The
others start as variants. You can prove this to yourself by running a little
experiment, using stServerName:

Private Sub Filename_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
Dim stServerName, stDivision, stUnit As String
Dim stFullFileName, stReqDir, stFolderName, stFileName As String

Debug.Print "stServerName is: " & TypeName(stServerName)
stServerName = "\\MAINSERVER\USERSHARE"
Debug.Print "stServerName is: " & TypeName(stServerName)

End Sub

Check out the results in the Immediate Window. You need to explicitely
declare each variable. For example:

Dim stServerName As String, stDivision As String, stUnit As String

or, by having each declaration on a separate line:

Dim stServerName As String
Dim stDivision As String
Dim stUnit As String

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Select Case statement is not really necessary, as you can use the Format
function here:

Select Case Me.RequirementID
   Case Is < 10
         stReqDir = "\R000" & Me.RequirementID
   Case Is < 100
         stReqDir = "\R00" & Me.RequirementID
   Case Is < 1000
         stReqDir = "\R0" & Me.RequirementID
   Case Else
         stReqDir = "\R" & Me.RequirementID
End Select

Debug.Print "stReqDir via Select Case: " & stReqDir

stReqDir = "\R" & Format(Me.RequirementID, "0000")
Debug.Print "stReqDir via Format statement: " & stReqDir

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I recommend adding a command button, with appropriate caption, such as
&Open File  (the ampersand will cause the letter "O" to be an underlined hot
key, such that the user can use <Alt><O> instead of clicking their mouse. You
should be able to use the Application.FollowHyperlink method with a valid
filename. Here is a procedure that should get you started. I used the
lowercase "txt" prefix for the names of the text boxes. I have also added
some minimal data checking, and error handling. Something like this:

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private Sub cmdOpenFile_Click()
On Error GoTo ProcError

Dim stServerName As String
Dim stDivision As String
Dim stUnit As String
Dim stFullFileName As String
Dim stReqDir As String
Dim stFolderName As String
Dim stFileName As String

'Check for required values
    If Not IsNumeric(Me.txtRequirementID) Then
        MsgBox "You need to enter a Requirement ID Number.", _
                    vbCritical, "Missing Required Data..."
        Me.txtRequirementID.SetFocus
        Exit Sub
    End If

    Debug.Print InStr(Me.txtFilename, ".")

    If InStr(Me.txtFilename, ".") = 0 Then
        MsgBox "You need to enter a Filename with Extension.", _
                    vbCritical, "Missing Required Data..."
        Me.txtFilename.SetFocus
        Exit Sub
    End If

    If Len(Me.txtFolderName & "") = 0 Then
        MsgBox "You need to enter a Folder Name.", _
                    vbCritical, "Missing Required Data..."
        Me.txtFolderName.SetFocus
        Exit Sub
    End If

    stReqDir = "\R" & Format(Me.txtRequirementID, "0000")

    stServerName = "\\MAINSERVER\USERSHARE"
    stDivision = "\Division_Requirements"
    stUnit = "\Branch_Unit"

    stFolderName = "\" & Me.txtFolderName
    stFileName = "\" & Me.txtFilename

    stFullFileName = stServerName & stDivision & stUnit _
                       & stReqDir & stFolderName & stFileName

    Application.FollowHyperlink stFullFileName

ExitProc:
    Exit Sub
ProcError:
    MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description, _
          vbCritical, "Error Opening File..."
    Resume ExitProc
End Sub

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/

"Umar" wrote:

> I am working on a Windows XP environment using MS Office 2007 including
> Access 2007.  I want to open a document from Access 2007 which I can easily
> do with Hyperlink type field.  However since all the necessary information is
> already in the Database Record I try to avoid creating additional field which
> would be a Hyperlink type on the Form unless it is absolutely necessary.
>
> Below is the code that I have to construct the FullFileName which consisted
> of ServerName, Division, Unit, RequirementDirectory, FolderName and the
> FileName itself.  As you can see the Database records has all the necessary
> information to construct the FullFileName.
>
> The User is unsophisticated so I cannot expect them to open the document by
> doing more than a click or a double-click of the mouse button on the FileName
> field on the Form.  If this cannot be done then I have to create another
> field of Hyperlink type namely DocLink in the Form, as the code and the
> comment indicated at the bottom of the code with that the User could click
> Me.DocLink and that will open the document that the User need.
>
> '  Here is the code
> Option Compare Database
> Option Explicit
>
> Private Sub FileName_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
>
> Dim stServerName, stDivision, stUnit As String
> Dim stFullFileName, stReqDir, stFolderName, stFileName As String
>
> Select Case Me.RequirementID
>    Case Is < 10
>          stReqDir = "\R000" & Me.RequirementID
>    Case Is < 100
>          stReqDir = "\R00" & Me.RequirementID
>    Case Is < 1000
>          stReqDir = "\R0" & Me.RequirementID
>    Case Else
>          stReqDir = "\R" & Me.RequirementID
> End Select
>
> stServerName = "\\MAINSERVER\USERSHARE"
> stDivision = "\Division_Requirements"
> stUnit = "\Branch_Unit"
> stFolderName = "\" & Me.FolderName
> stFileName = "\" & Me.FileName
> stFullFileName = stServerName & stDivision & stUnit & stReqDir & _
>  stFolderName & stFileName
> '
> '   After getting the Full File Name, the code to open the document should
> go here
> '   The document or file could be .doc, .xls, .pdf, .txt, etc.
> '
> '   OR
> '
> ' I could create another field named DocLink with type Hyperlink in the Form
> ' and add the following code, but then the User has to click field DocLink to
> ' open the file, I try to avoid this additional step.
>
> Me.DocLink = Me.FileName & “#” & stFullFileName & “#”
>
> End Sub

> Any reply is appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Umar.
Thank you,
it work like a charm.

Umar.

"Tom Wickerath" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > stServerName = "\\MAINSERVER\USERSHARE"
> > stDivision = "\Division_Requirements"
> > stUnit = "\Branch_Unit"
> > stFolderName = "\" & Me.FolderName
> > stFileName = "\" & Me.FileName
> > stFullFileName = stServerName & stDivision & stUnit & stReqDir & _
> >  stFolderName & stFileName
> > '
> > '   After getting the Full File Name, the code to open the document should
> > go here
> > '   The document or file could be .doc, .xls, .pdf, .txt, etc.
> > '
> > '   OR
> > '
> > ' I could create another field named DocLink with type Hyperlink in the Form
> > ' and add the following code, but then the User has to click field DocLink to
> > ' open the file, I try to avoid this additional step.
> >
> > Me.DocLink = Me.FileName & “#” & stFullFileName & “#”

Hi Umar,

You're welcome.

"Umar" wrote:

> Thank you,
> it work like a charm.
>
> Umar.

How to Generate Database from ER Diagram
I have installed Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect with Visio. I have generated an ER diagram and now need to forward engineer the model to a physical implimentation. But the "Generate Database" menu is missing. How do you generate the database? Thanks, Dave C ...

Want to Add more Sub description Field

Offline database will not synchronize
Hi I have RMS version 2.0.0125 running on three tills and two back office computers. At the start of November I had this system upgraded, by a 'professional IT company' who installed a back office server on which all the data, including the RMS database, now resides. The server is running Windows Server 2008 Standard FE, version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2, along with SQL Server 2008. Since the server was installed the tills will no longer synchronize normally after a Z and always produce the same error message: "An error occurred connecting to the offline datab...

Paste into "Advanced Find" "search for the words:" field????
Am I doing something wrong, or did microsoft really disable the ability to paste into the "search for the words:" field? You can paste into the email address fields, but that is it. I'm trying to search emails for a specific numeric string, and I don't want to have to type a 30 character number from an email when I could easily copy and paste it. Am I doing something wrong or are they really that stupid??? Thanks! Mick Does CTRL V work for you "Mick" <MickBurkellc@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1121234980.931014.46200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... >...

demo? samaple database password
I downloaded and installed everything but cannot log on to sample database. wont let me create new one either. in SO admin I click connect, says user: SA what is the password? I'm back revistiting this program a year later and hating my current POS even more. Last time I installed it worked flawless. But no where in the getting started does it tell me what the password is. Just how to create another database, course you cant do that either without a prior connection...??? Also would be really nice to be able to get in to do training before you commit to buy. Terry - when yo...

Can no longer cut/paste ranges in chart "edit data" fields?
In Excel 2007 I can no longer cut/paste cell ranges into the x and y datasets using the edit data tool. Is there a way to turn this back on? Also the chart range resets itself to the current length of the data, however, in many instances I want to set an exact future range. Is there a way to have excel not reset the range to what it "thinks" I want. > In Excel 2007 I can no longer cut/paste cell ranges into the x and y > datasets > using the edit data tool. Is there a way to turn this back on? I have no problem doing what you can't. Could you provide more det...

New Record Problem when filtering
I'm using Access 2003 and have what at first seems like a common problem. On one of my forms if a user hits the scroll button on the mouse, it scrolls to a new record which then causes problems. I don't have sufficient rights to deploy a dll file so I got around it by changing the AllowAdditions setting to "No". Theoretically that should have worked and indeed it does if I open up a form directly. But in this database I often open up a form to a particular record using the "Where Condition" argument of the DoCmd.OpenForm command. When I do that, it opens...

Problems Getting a Field to Work in a New Mail Message form
I have Outlook 2000 SR-1 using IMO (Internet Mail Only - not Exchange Server). Does anyone know of a way to make sure the From: field appears in a new mail message? For reasons too lengthy to get into, it would be very helpful for me to see the From: field (with my default email address already filled in, of course) as well as they typical To:, CC: and Subject: fields when composing a new email. I did try to create a new form (Tools >Forms >Design a Form >Message) but when I used it, the default email address did not appear. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Sangrateo SangrateoATanonymo...

updating and underlying table field with a combo box selection
I want to use an ID value from a combo box on a subform to update the same ID value in the form's underlying table. My main form is: frm_Street_Joiner_Main My Subform is: frm_Street_Joiner_Sub My Subform table is: tbl_Street_Joiner My Mainform is: frm_Street_Joiner_Main The combo box on my subform is called: StreetName, with a column count of two but the bound column is the actual street name. SELECT QRY_Street_Names_Joiner_Master.Street_Names, QRY_Street_Names_Joiner_Master.StreetNameID FROM QRY_Street_Names_Joiner_Master ORDER BY QRY_Street_Names_Joiner_Master.Street_Names, QR...

Open form to a particular record
Hi, I have a continuous form listing some employees. One of the fields displayed is the EmployeeID field. Is it possible to double-click a particular EmployeeID field on the continuous form and another form (called "frmEmployees") open and display the record for the employee that I double clicked? I tried the following code and the frmEmployee form opened but at the first record, not the record for the person I double-clicked in the continuous form. ********************************* Dim strWhere As String strWhere = "[EmployeeID] = """ & Me.[Emplo...

Microsoft Office "Database Corrupt" message
I need some help here. Recently, I got a "Database Corrupt" error message when running any MS Office 2004 program. I then tried to rebuild the database but I got an "end of file" error. However, all my email files etc are intact. Meanwhile, my "login" keychain is missing, and I had to repair it with Keychain Firstaid. The corrupt database message won't go away. What should I do? Thanks, sean ps. I'm running Mac OS 10.3.7 ...

No Minimum Wage Balance master pay record exists for this employee
We received this warning message on the payroll build this week. Minimum wage is not an issue with our employees and this particular staff was set up exactly the same way as other staff. Has anyone else gotten this message? You might check the employee's Additional Information button to see if the Calculate Minimum Wage Balance checkbox got marked by mistake. -- BrianB "sandwest" wrote: > We received this warning message on the payroll build this week. Minimum > wage is not an issue with our employees and this particular staff was set up > exactly the same w...

Access autonumber field changes to date format when Excel imports
When importing Access data into Excel, the autonumber field in Access is chenged to date format instead of a general number format. I could run a macro to change the number format but this only happens on some Vista machines, not all. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? ...

Avoiding Redundant Records
It is my understanding that surrogate keys are generally recommended to ensure uniqueness of records. Is it not true that using surrogate keys implies taking extra precautions to prevent duplicate records? I mean, with surrogate keys there is nothing to prevent the proliferation of multiple records all containing the same data, but each having a unique key. I would appreciate your help with this in the following context: AGREEMENTS AgrmtID (PK) InsuredID Agrmt fields… CERTS CertID (PK) AgrmtID ProducerID Cert fields… POLICIES PolicyID (PK) InsuredID PolicyTypeCo...

Macro Action Fails on Duplicate Record
I have a form with a subform whose visibile property is set to no. I have a macro that runs when a choice is made in a combo box that sets the visible property of the subform to yes when the selection=2. The macro sets the visible property of the subform to no when the selection does not =2. This is how I have the macro: Condition: [Appearance]=2 Action:Set Value Item: [Forms]![Appearance Request Basic]![OffSiteApp].[Form].[Detail].[Visible] Expression: True Condition:... Action:StopMacro Condition:(this I left blank) Action: SetValue Item:[Forms]![Appearance Request Basic]![OffSiteApp...

replication of multiple CRM databases
Hello, I'm investrigating CRM packages and the environment I'm looking at is having two or three instllations (one in US, one in Canada and possibly one in France). The data needs to be shared to a degree (if possible) and one option I want to consider is MS SQL server replication. Ideally, so the two/three international installations can work with the same data, showing local regional settings (US$ Can$ and euro). Network infrastructure means having an installation in one central location with the other two accessing the central, shared database over the Internet would not be the mo...

Previously used/opened record
I would like to have a button to hit to get me to my previously opened/used record. Can anybody please oblige me with some code to achieve that? Thanks, RF. Define "previously"... No, seriously, until you can tell Access HOW to find the "previous" record, Access won't know what to do. By "previously opened/used" do you mean "most recently" (a single record) or ALL records that have been opened/used. If the latter, since when? If a record is only "opened" (?looked at but not changed?), does that count? What do yo...

Add number of days due field on aged trial balance reports (PM/RM)
I would like to add 'number of days past due' field on the aged trial balance reports and sort the reports by this field. I dont know how to proceed. Can someone guide me? ...

CRM Contact fields not available in Advanced Search
Why aren't all fields available to use in Contact advanced search? Some attributes of an entity are shown in the Attributes view in the customization area, but are not available to search on in the "Advanced Find" form. Why is this? Is there a way of making the fields available? There is one Contact field "relationshiptype" I use a lot for marketing campaigns. I want to use advanced search to filter "customers" and exclude competitors, partners, suppliers, editors, etc. from my search. This attribute is not available in advanced search. I have to expor...

Is Hyperlinking available in Pub. 2002 or 2003
In Publisher 2000 you need to be in web mode to make a hyperlink. I'm writing a newsletter and want to stay in newsletter mode. Does version 2002 or 2003 address this problem, so I can make a hyperlink in regular Publisher newsletter mode? Thank you. John Schulte No - and if you think about it, it will make sense why not. (Kinda hard to click on a link that's on a piece of paper.) If you need links for an online version of the newsletter, you are probably creating a .pdf version of the newsletter. If that's the case, get Acrobat Standard. That's what I use for my onli...

Hiding a field in Exchange
I have hidden a field in Exchange so when people click on a mailbox properties they don't see it but someone has found a way to display it, simply using the Add to Contact button from the mailbox properties in Outlook. How can I modify this behavior so the hidden field is NOT transported in the contact folder ? The field we're using is the Notes in the telephone tab. Thanks. Michel, It depends on what you use notes for, but you could try removing read permissions from authenticated users to the Notes Property in AD. Joe "Michel Paquin" wrote: > I have hidden ...

How to delete duplicated records. Each record has four lines
I would like to delete duplicated records from an excel file. Each record has four lines. Thanks. Arcesio, You'll find that none of Excel's tools (Sort, Pivot Tables, Database functions, Subtotals, Charts, Autofilter, Advanced filter, Data form, to name a few), work with multiline records. I think you should look strongly at converting your data to a bona fide database-style table. It will open up all kinds of Excel functionality. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "Arcesio Hernandez" <Arcesio Hernandez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7767...

How to link database using vc?
Hello all: I want to program a code about database using vc,I want to put the database in the server and the application is put in the local PC.I want to know how to link the database,and how to link automatically with code? thanks Your question seems very general and far-reaching! I would suggest you start with using the MFC class CRecordset, which uses ODBC to connect using a Data Source Name (DSN) that is defined for your database. "Lee Tow" <fbjlt@pub3.fz.fj.cn> wrote in message news:OQt4jlGoFHA.1204@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello all: > I want to program a co...

Query for random values multiple records
I have a table of names (lots of names! Too many to write individual queries for...). I want three random non-repeating numbers between 1 and 7 for each of these names. Output example: Name1 3 Name1 2 Name1 5 Name2 1 Name2 5 Name2 4 From reading on the boards I was able to come up with a way to generate output such as this: Name1 3 Name1 2 Name1 5 Name2 3 Name2 2 Name2 5 However, that will not work for what I want the random numbers for. I need a different set of each random non-repeated number set for each name. Thanks! On Mon, 16 Apr 200...

pivot table calculated field or item
Hi, my question is..I want to use an If formula based on the Grp colomn value BU (see formula below), but it doesnt recognise the value as "BU", it just returns the false value (value if false). Pivot table rows are as follows SO # Grp Cust Whse SO 311450 BQ BAKERS S 10-Nov-Tue 312385 0 MODERN S 12-Nov-Thu 312403 BU BUNNINGS S 12-Nov-Thu I have inserted a calculated field with formula =IF(Grp="BU",0,1) The formula always returns 1 Thanks for your answer Hi Craig Add an extra column to your source data headed Test with a formula like =IF(B2=&q...