Configure a shortcut file programmatically?

Under program control, I want to change the paths to point to a database on
the user's local drive. From within Access, does anybody know how to do
this?

0
David
12/15/2007 1:17:34 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Are you saying you want to create a shortcut file? Take a look at my May,
2004 "Access Answers" column in Pinnacle Publication's "Smart Access". You
can download the column (and sample database) for free at
http://www.accessmvp.com/DJSteele/SmartAccess.html

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Under program control, I want to change the paths to point to a database
> on the user's local drive. From within Access, does anybody know how to do
> this?

0
Douglas
12/15/2007 2:10:09 AM
I don't want to create a shortcut. I have a dummy shortcut file (.lnk). I
need to change the paths in the dummy file.

I want to code an "Install.mdb" file. When the user opens Install.mdb, an
Autoexec macro will copy the main application database and a version checker
database from a shared network drive to the user's local drive. Among the
copied files will be the dummy shortcut file.

I can get the user's My Documents folder, which is where the applications
will go. I can also get the location of his Desktop folder, which is where
the shortcut will go. All of this from the CurDir() function.

I have copies of all the files, including the shortcut file, stored in a
Download folder on the net. It is an easy matter to copy the files to the
user's local folders. I've got this part working. All that's left is to
update the paths in the shortcut file and then my app will be installed
locally on the user's machine. All the user has to do to make this happen is
double-click the Install database.

But I still need to learn how to reconfigure the shortcut file
programmatically.

> Are you saying you want to create a shortcut file? Take a look at my May,
> 2004 "Access Answers" column in Pinnacle Publication's "Smart Access". You
> can download the column (and sample database) for free at
> http://www.accessmvp.com/DJSteele/SmartAccess.html
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Under program control, I want to change the paths to point to a database
>> on the user's local drive. From within Access, does anybody know how to
>> do this?

0
David
12/15/2007 3:56:40 AM
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:56:40 -0800, "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have copies of all the files, including the shortcut file, stored in a
>Download folder on the net. It is an easy matter to copy the files to the
>user's local folders. I've got this part working. All that's left is to
>update the paths in the shortcut file and then my app will be installed
>locally on the user's machine. All the user has to do to make this happen is
>double-click the Install database.

One way to do this is to not store the paths in the shortcut at all - use
symbols instead! Instead of C:/Program Files/ you can use %programfiles%,
instead of C:\Windows use %systemroot% and so on. You can use a DOS SET
command to define these - or use it without arguments to see what standard
symbols are already defined.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
12/15/2007 5:39:31 AM
"David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Under program control, I want to change the paths to point to a database on
>the user's local drive. From within Access, does anybody know how to do
>this?

I can't recall exactly but I'm pretty sure that if you run the
following code if the shortcut needs to be updated it will be updated
and if it needs to be created it will also be created.

SHGetSpecialFolderLocation: Create a Desktop Shortcut
http://vbnet.mvps.org/index.html?code/shell/desktoplink.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Douglas' code looks very close to what I'm looking for - except it involves
creating a shortcut. That may be ok and I may end up doing that, but it
seems like a complication that I shouldn't have to deal with.

>I don't want to create a shortcut. I have a dummy shortcut file (.lnk). I
>need to change the paths in the dummy file.
>
> I want to code an "Install.mdb" file. When the user opens Install.mdb, an
> Autoexec macro will copy the main application database and a version
> checker database from a shared network drive to the user's local drive.
> Among the copied files will be the dummy shortcut file.
>
> I can get the user's My Documents folder, which is where the applications
> will go. I can also get the location of his Desktop folder, which is where
> the shortcut will go. All of this from the CurDir() function.
>
> I have copies of all the files, including the shortcut file, stored in a
> Download folder on the net. It is an easy matter to copy the files to the
> user's local folders. I've got this part working. All that's left is to
> update the paths in the shortcut file and then my app will be installed
> locally on the user's machine. All the user has to do to make this happen
> is double-click the Install database.
>
> But I still need to learn how to reconfigure the shortcut file
> programmatically.
>
> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
>> Are you saying you want to create a shortcut file? Take a look at my May,
>> 2004 "Access Answers" column in Pinnacle Publication's "Smart Access".
>> You can download the column (and sample database) for free at
>> http://www.accessmvp.com/DJSteele/SmartAccess.html
>>
>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no private e-mails, please)
>>

>> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Under program control, I want to change the paths to point to a database
>>> on the user's local drive. From within Access, does anybody know how to
>>> do this?

0
David
12/15/2007 8:24:26 AM
A shortcut is simply a file (with an extension of .lnk). Deleting the
existing shortcut and creating a new one is probably the easiest approach.

--

> Most of what y'all are telling me is over my head. I was hoping I could
> (somehow) attach a variable to the existing shortcut, set a few
> properties, and then badda bing, badda boom, done!
>
> Douglas' code looks very close to what I'm looking for - except it
> involves creating a shortcut. That may be ok and I may end up doing that,
> but it seems like a complication that I shouldn't have to deal with.
>
> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I don't want to create a shortcut. I have a dummy shortcut file (.lnk). I
>>need to change the paths in the dummy file.
>>
>> I want to code an "Install.mdb" file. When the user opens Install.mdb, an
>> Autoexec macro will copy the main application database and a version
>> checker database from a shared network drive to the user's local drive.
>> Among the copied files will be the dummy shortcut file.
>>
>> I can get the user's My Documents folder, which is where the applications
>> will go. I can also get the location of his Desktop folder, which is
>> where the shortcut will go. All of this from the CurDir() function.
>>
>> I have copies of all the files, including the shortcut file, stored in a
>> Download folder on the net. It is an easy matter to copy the files to the
>> user's local folders. I've got this part working. All that's left is to
>> update the paths in the shortcut file and then my app will be installed
>> locally on the user's machine. All the user has to do to make this happen
>> is double-click the Install database.
>>
>> But I still need to learn how to reconfigure the shortcut file
>> programmatically.
>>
>> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
>>> Are you saying you want to create a shortcut file? Take a look at my
>>> May, 2004 "Access Answers" column in Pinnacle Publication's "Smart
>>> Access". You can download the column (and sample database) for free at
>>> http://www.accessmvp.com/DJSteele/SmartAccess.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>>> (no private e-mails, please)
>>>

>>> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
Douglas
12/15/2007 11:31:05 AM
Creating the shortcut, rather than copying and modifying an existing one, is
beginning to sound like a cleaner approach. I won't have to "carry" a dummy
file copy in my Download folder.

I'll try it on Monday. Thanks for the help, Doug. Thanks to all who took the
time to think about the problem and respond.

>A shortcut is simply a file (with an extension of .lnk). Deleting the
>existing shortcut and creating a new one is probably the easiest approach.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Most of what y'all are telling me is over my head. I was hoping I could
>> (somehow) attach a variable to the existing shortcut, set a few
>> properties, and then badda bing, badda boom, done!
>>
>> Douglas' code looks very close to what I'm looking for - except it
>> involves creating a shortcut. That may be ok and I may end up doing that,
>> but it seems like a complication that I shouldn't have to deal with.
>>
>> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I don't want to create a shortcut. I have a dummy shortcut file (.lnk). I
>>>need to change the paths in the dummy file.
>>>
>>> I want to code an "Install.mdb" file. When the user opens Install.mdb,
>>> an Autoexec macro will copy the main application database and a version
>>> checker database from a shared network drive to the user's local drive.
>>> Among the copied files will be the dummy shortcut file.
>>>
>>> I can get the user's My Documents folder, which is where the
>>> applications will go. I can also get the location of his Desktop folder,
>>> which is where the shortcut will go. All of this from the CurDir()
>>> function.
>>>
>>> I have copies of all the files, including the shortcut file, stored in a
>>> Download folder on the net. It is an easy matter to copy the files to
>>> the user's local folders. I've got this part working. All that's left is
>>> to update the paths in the shortcut file and then my app will be
>>> installed locally on the user's machine. All the user has to do to make
>>> this happen is double-click the Install database.
>>>
>>> But I still need to learn how to reconfigure the shortcut file
>>> programmatically.
>>>
>>> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message

0
David
12/15/2007 5:19:03 PM
Doug, your shortcut creation code worked wonderfully! "Slicker than snot on
a doorknob!", as my Grandma used to say. It is very simple, straightforward
code which even a mug like me can understand.

I was reading through the other articles that you wrote for that Access
magazine. IMHO, it is all very valuable information.

>A shortcut is simply a file (with an extension of .lnk). Deleting the
>existing shortcut and creating a new one is probably the easiest approach.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Most of what y'all are telling me is over my head. I was hoping I could
>> (somehow) attach a variable to the existing shortcut, set a few
>> properties, and then badda bing, badda boom, done!
>>
>> Douglas' code looks very close to what I'm looking for - except it
>> involves creating a shortcut. That may be ok and I may end up doing that,
>> but it seems like a complication that I shouldn't have to deal with.
>>
>> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I don't want to create a shortcut. I have a dummy shortcut file (.lnk). I
>>>need to change the paths in the dummy file.
>>>
>>> I want to code an "Install.mdb" file. When the user opens Install.mdb,
>>> an Autoexec macro will copy the main application database and a version
>>> checker database from a shared network drive to the user's local drive.
>>> Among the copied files will be the dummy shortcut file.
>>>
>>> I can get the user's My Documents folder, which is where the
>>> applications will go. I can also get the location of his Desktop folder,
>>> which is where the shortcut will go. All of this from the CurDir()
>>> function.
>>>
>>> I have copies of all the files, including the shortcut file, stored in a
>>> Download folder on the net. It is an easy matter to copy the files to
>>> the user's local folders. I've got this part working. All that's left is
>>> to update the paths in the shortcut file and then my app will be
>>> installed locally on the user's machine. All the user has to do to make
>>> this happen is double-click the Install database.
>>>
>>> But I still need to learn how to reconfigure the shortcut file
>>> programmatically.
>>>
>>> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message

0
David

Configuring outlook for newsgroup communications
Sorry if this is the wrong place for help. If there is another newsgroup where I should be posting this please let me know. I am using Office XP and am trying to post messages on a newsgroup. I use Outlook as my default e-mail account. I keep getting nastygrams from Outlook Newsreader stating that 'No Sender Was Specified please check your news account configuration'. How do I do this? Thanks for any help. Dennis Sweeney Have you tried deleting and recreating your news account? It's worth a try... However, if that doesn't work and you don't get any satisfacto...

Outlook XP Freezes Upon Opening as a Result of a Large Inbox File
I tried downloading a 17MB file from my email server and it just caused Outlook XP to freeze up. Now whenever I start Outlook it just freezes. What should I do? Thanks, McClint Downing mcclint_downing@yahoo.com Can you access your ISP's web mail interface and delete that message? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, McClint asked: | I tried downloading a 17MB file from my email server and it just | caused Outlook XP to freeze u...

publisher cannot write to a file on a network drive
Publisher can not write to K:\...\...\newsletter.pub to the disk. Your hard disk may be full or hardware problems. The network drive is not full and the user has full control over the folder she is trying to save to. The user can write to the folder with other apps, i.e. word Dan Thannhauser wrote: > Publisher can not write to K:\...\...\newsletter.pub to the disk. > > Your hard disk may be full or hardware problems. > > The network drive is not full and the user has full control over the > folder she is trying to save to. > > The user can write to the folder with...

Where does the archive file go when it no longer has a correct path ?
Outlook XP. Autoarchive prompted user to archive. It was set up to go to a network folder, however the the nework share is there but the specific folder is not (ie originally it went to\ \server name\ \Homedirectory folder\JoeUser. The home directory changed to a different server, but the Auto Archive settings were never updated, so where did the file default too?) Thanks It might have defaulted back to the usual local location: C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook "mikebach" <it_mikeb@hotmail.com> wrote in message ...

Data from .txt file being read in as date, and should be text
I have a macro that reads in data from a .txt file. The data contains user IDs that consist of the first 4 letters of their name and 4 numbers. When names are read in that begin with MARCxxxx (ie MARC1234), excel is formating them as a date, and I lose the original data (even when I try to format them after the import, they are a number and the letters are not there. I've tried to format the column that they data read into before the import, but excel still imports them as a date. How can I make the import be read as text? Here is the code for the section I am reading in data for. Do Whi...

Display of Double byte chars in CSV files
Hi, I am trying to export some double-byte characters to CSV and trying to open the CSV file, but the double-byte characters are now being changed to some junk characters. My client doesnt want to do any other operations on the exported CSV file, like opening the file and saving that again in Unicode and then open it to get the double-byte characters display properly. Is there any solution that I can get? Thanks Raghuveer. ...

Can I use an industry standard XSD and ADO.NET / SQLServer to output a conforming XML file
We have tentatively agreed with a supplier to exchange order information. The plan is to use an 'industry standard' order schema definition from say www.xcbl.org. Is there are simple way to use ADO.NET in this scenario. Ideally (naively) I would like to do something along these lines : 1. Create a SQLServer stored proc that returns a dataset (or similar) containing the order details such as : select PurchaseOrderID,ProductID,Qty from PurchaseOrder join PurchaseOrderItem...... 2. In a COM+ object (not entirely relevant to the problem, but this is how it will work), I would expe...

Print to File Technique
Hi! I used the Option: Print\Print to File (Check) Now i am unable to open the file which xl has created using "Print t File" Check in Print Dialog box. What i want to do is: I want to transfer all the day, necessary files to some place say Prin to file. And at the end i give all print commands to print the variou documents. Can any one tell me how to use the check Print to File. Thanks in advance. Jabee -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you used print to file and used your printer driver to make this .prn file, then you can't open it later to see anyth...

saving excel files #4
thank u so much frnd...thanks a ton -- Vnagpal ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Vnagpal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15104 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=267346 ...

HP Image Editor files default to C:\ directory
Re: HP 3970 Scanner Hello Everyone: Maybe someone here has or has used this scanner and knows the answer. I will make my question as straightforward as possible. Once I have scanned an image and 'saved it,' it defaults to the C:\ directory unless I choose another location. If it is saved in another directory, it will not show up on the image editor so I unable to print or edit the image. Is there a way to change the settings so that an image is automatically saved to a default location other than C:\ or do I have to move an image to the C:\ location each time I ...

Importing Adobe Reader Files
Hi Everyone I currently receive a report from a customer in an adobe reader file. I was wanting to know if you can import this type of file into an access table so I can sort it automatically and save a lot of time? Thanks PDF is a dead end sorry but you should keep your data in a DATABASE instead of in spreadsheets-- maybe you wouldn't have such a problem if you had a decent database skillset keep everything in SQL Server MDB is for lamers On Apr 20, 10:34 am, SHARONHARRISON91171 <SHARONHARRISON91...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi Everyone > I currently rece...

Windows 98 .pub file isn't recognized by Windows XP
How do I access a .pub file generated with the Microsoft Publisher in Windows 98 in Windows XP Home Edition? It's not the version of *Windows* that matters - it's the version of *Publisher*. Which version of Publisher is loaded on the system with Win XP Home? And which version of Publisher are you using on the Win 98 system? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "nhwoods" <nhwoods@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E4976B9-76AE-4E17-92F1-63F5607A67EB@microsoft.com... > How do I access a .pub file generated with the Microsoft Publisher in ...

Opening .xml file with my application
Hi I have an application to show the data in .xml file in different mode. When I want to right click on the xml file and select my application to open the xml file. In this case in the application side how to take file name as a parameter to open the xml file and link it to the File->Open menu item in the application. Thanks in advance. Murali. you have to process the command line parameters to get the file name. "PMURALI" <pmurali@osi-systems.co.in> wrote in message news:ubod584WFHA.2740@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I have an application to show the...

Is there a particular picture file format type
That works best with Publisher, particularly if you intend to convert the Publisher file to a pdf? Any type that is more efficient file size wise? I'm doing a 4 page newspaper and it's in B&W so I convert the photos to grayscale. Thanks wjhanna wrote: > That works best with Publisher, particularly if you intend to convert the > Publisher file to a pdf? Any type that is more efficient file size wise? I'm > doing a 4 page newspaper and it's in B&W so I convert the photos to grayscale. As far as Publisher is concerned, avoid TIFF and you can't go far wr...

Sync. question for .pst file. #2
If anyone can help, I would like to sync my .pst file from my office PC to my laptop. Now I am using the sync program in Windows 2K and I get the error that says this type of file is unable to be Synchronized. I have done this before, I know you can go into the Registry and change what types of files can and can't be Synchronized. Can anyone tell me where that setting is. It's been a while since I had to do this and I completely forgot. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. P.S. Running Win 2K and Office 2003. Skipper <NOSPAMskippertw@yahoo.com> wrote: ...

security of the Money file
A friend is considering installing Money on a laptop. Suppose that the laptop gets stolen and that the thief manages to sign in to Windows. If Money has a normal password, and "Remember my password" is not checked, how secure is the financial information? Not terribly. Search the web for access password crack. "Paul Pedersen" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message news:%23B$aNxATIHA.5164@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >A friend is considering installing Money on a laptop. Suppose that the >laptop gets stolen and that the thief manages to sign in to Windows. If &g...

Importing pst files #2
After inporting a pst files I get a double up everything... inbox, outbox, sent items, etc. How to remove duplicates. Outlook XP Goran <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > After inporting a pst files I get a double up > everything... inbox, outbox, sent items, etc. > How to remove duplicates. Don't import. Simply Open it from the File menu. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't speak for Smiths, and Smiths doesn...

Open File: Sorting of folders problem
Hi, I am having a problem when I go into File | Open within Excel 2002 and the folders don't appear to be sorted in any particular order. If I go into Word, Powerpoint, or Outlook then the folders show up in alphabetical order. I have Office 97 plus the upgrade for Excel 2002 installed on my win2k system. I have also installed all the updates to Excel 2002. Any suggestions? Thanks. Best Regards, Jim Reisz Don't trust what's displayed. When you're showing the details, you can click on the header (name, size, modified, etc) and sort it. (and click on it again and sort ...

Attaching multiple files from ouside Outlook 2003
I'm running Outlook 2003 (non SP1) on all of my PCs. Outlook is configured on all PCs to use only HTML for emails (it's the default, anyways). If I attach 2 or more files (simultaneously) from windows explorer (using the "send to mail recipient), the email comes up as plain text. This happens on all clients. If only one file is attached, or if you attach multiple files *from the outlook email window itself*, then the email comes up as HTML, which is correct. We're using a document management system (DocsOpen) and it is not easy for my users to save each document to the desktop...

Execute Procedure on a remote Access Db file
I am trying to open another Access DB from my current Access DB and trying to execute a SUB programatically. But I get a message that Microsoft Office Access can't find macro "ParseMnAFileAGH" message. Any help on this is much appriciated. Here is my code: SUB RunMacro() dim objAccess as Access.Application Set objAccess=CreateObject("Access.Application") objAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase ("C:\MnAAH.mdb") objAccess.docmd.RunMacro "ParseMnAFileAH" objAccess.DoCmd.Minimize Set objAccess = Nothing End sub "Kumar" <Kumar@disc...

Disabling auto - Your files are attached and ready to send
This seems to be an XP issue, but also pertains to how IE 6 prepares email links to be mailed from Outlook 2K. When selecting Send a Link from IE6, it auto-generates the following message in Outlook 2K in the message body area. I know it can be manually deleted but that is not a solution. "Your files are attached and ready to send with this message" Is there a registry fix for this? Must be, its a pain in the you know what. Thanks! -- marx404 No, it's hardcoded in the sendmail dll. I use select all (control a) and begin typing to remove it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outl...

Money 2007 file wont update from one computer to another
Ok, I have a desktop with Vista and laptop with XP home. I use the notebook when Im away at work and the Vista desktop when Im home. When I got home I wanted my money file from the notebook to be transfered to the desktop but... when I copy the file from the notebook to my external USB HD and then paste it to the desktop to replace the existing one the file does not reflect changes made on the file version on the notebook. When I copy the file from the notebook to the USB HD and then open it it shows one balance. but when I then paste that file to the desktop it shows a different balan...

Programmatically Update a Form's Combo Box Default Value and SQL Record Source
I have one Sales Activity form that I use for data entry and for viewing all records by Sales Person (EmployeeID). Without having to have multiple instances of this form, I want to accomplish the below; based on which EmployeeID (sales person) opens the form in either mode: 1. For the data entry mode – I want the Combo Box’s Default Value to change, based on my user (EmployeeID); 2. Show All Records mode – I want the SQL record source to filter on that sales person’s records (EmployeeID) I’ve got some code for passwords, so I hope I can utilize that part of it; I just do not know how to do ...

How to unlock file with microsoft publisher as it has been locked
how can you unlock if the user has left and you try to unlock using windows administrator user name and password using microsoft publisher / front page 2000 . Please revert back I have tried removing service.lck also but no good and server where site is hosted has Frontpage extension only and no frontpage. And is runing through sharepoint. any other idea as to unlock it Thanks in advance. Publisher is not lockable. Are you talking about a website created/maintained with FrontPage perhaps? If so: you need to get the un/pw login from the host. If not...please explain the problem in...

Inserting file in a header
Using Word 2007. I have an existing file that I use as the header on second and subsequent pages of letterhead paper. In Word 2003, I would just Insert / Filename in the header and be done (after choosing "different first page"). In Word 2007, I start with a blank Header, but when I go to insert the Filename (Insert/Text/Object/Text from File/Filename), nothing happens. What's wrong? Inserting a file into the header certainly works for me. Are you sure that the file you are inserting hasn't been damaged? Have you tried a different file? -- Stefan Blo...