Compacting a database

Is there any way to compact data in an attached mdb from withing VBA?

--
Jay
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

If your application is split into a front-end (containing the queries,
forms, reports, macros and modules), linked to a back-end (containing the
tables and relations), you can use the CompactDatabase method of the
DBEngine object to compact the back-end from the front-end. Just make sure
that no open connections exist to the back-end (make sure the .LDB, or
locking file, doesn't exist)

You should never have to compact the current database. However, if you
insist, check http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0041.htm at "The Access
Web". (I seem to recall reading somewhere that that approach will not work
for Access 2007)

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Drjay" <Drjay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to compact data in an attached mdb from withing VBA?
>
> --
> Jay

0
Douglas

List of tables in SQL server database
Hi, How do I list all user tables in a SQL Server database? Once done I have to passon some commends also to all the listed tabled. I already have connection strings and also able to extract records as pe the criteria from one defined table but do not know how to loop thru the tables or table properties. Any pointers are appreciated. Regards, Madiya Try this Set oConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") oConn.Open sConnString Set oCat = CreateObject("ADOX.Catalog") Set oCat.ActiveConnection = oConn iRow = 1 For Each tbl In o...

E-mail database
I am new to Outlook, so I am still getting my feet wet and trying to maximize the program. I work for a professional association that has a email contact list of members of about 1500 different email addresses. When we get new email addresses to add to our list, i need to be sure that they are not duplicates of addresses we already have. Any ideas on how to do this, without making a separate contact for each email address in outlook? I tried an excel spread sheet, but that will not notify me of a duplicate, it will only show me duplicates it I sort it alphabetically. For example, ...

Link Form to Access Database thru DSN
I am using Front Page 2000 running on Windows 7 What I am trying to figure out is how to create a .ASP page to connect to my Access database I uploaded to my web server provider. At their web service I used their "Manage DSN Records" feature to upload my database and create a link. Then inside the Front Page program I am at the "Insert > Database > Results Wizard trying to make the connection. I'm guessing in here I need to enter the Domain Name, DSN Name, Etc. I have tried every possible combination and just get a error message when I click on verify th...

Granting permission to a database
Hi, I have a databse (ABCProduct) in our SQL server production. I need to let all our users who need to have access to this databse. To do this I am doing following things. 1).Creating a user say user : ABCProductUser and pwd: password 2).Creating a role ABCProductRole which would have all permission like read, write, and delete. 3)And finally assign this role to the ABCProductUser. Do the above steps would create a user and let them log in to access the database? But I do not know how to create Roles in managementstudio in sql server 2005 and how to assign permissions to...

Database size increasing abnormally
Hi could any one know why the Access database size increases abnormally even the number of records in it is less. i.e. i have an issue last day that my access database size increased abt 40 MB, it cause pbm in updating , selecting quires etc. when i compress the database it is reduced to 2 MB. why this happens ?? how can i track my Access database is corrupted or not ??? can any one help me to get out the risk thx Jibesh. Your database is not corrupted. From what I have experienced, when you insert/delete records continually, access database will only grow. This happens, because it always...

Template Wizard Database Protection
Hello, I have created a template for use with the 'Template Wizard With Dat Tracking'. I would like to protect the database (or parts of it) that is create so that the only way to create or modify records is to use the templat (unless you know the password!) - but when I do this, the template ca not add any new records to the database. Is there any way of doing this? Thanks in anticipation. veci -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Need help on merging database on Exchange 2003
Hi, My server is running SBS 2003 with exchange 2003 enabled. Unfortunately, the anti-virus software deleted a log file under the mdbdata folder and thus the exchange wasnt running. I was able to get it running by deleting all the files on the mdbdata folder and starting from scratch. Now, the users only get new emails and their old emails are gone. I want to be able to recover the old emails/contacts,etc. I still have the priv1.edb file but the .stm file could not be restored from the backup. What would be the best way to recover those old emails? I tried just renaming the mdbdata folder but...

Database connection
I replaced the server PC with one that's newer that I had as a spare PC. I am trying to connect to the default database before connecting to the PC with the register to switch that PC from running as the server as it is now. How do I point the POS PC to the PC in the back to use its database. I already have the workgroup setup and each PC sees the others' files that I allowed it to see. And, I am trying to connect to the default database on the back PC with no luck, what do I have to do to connect tho the sample database at least. All required software is installed, but I sti...

Corrupt SQL2000 database
I digged my hole far too deep and was left with: 1. A fresh installed CRM on my server (empty database) 2. A SQL 2000 Backup (MyCompany_METABASE and MyCompany_MSCRM) which were unfortunately attached to SQL2005 (How deep can you dig) 3. A working Outlook CRM offline with all relevant data Is there a way to fill my fresh installed CRM server with either the SQL2000 Backup (2) or the Outlook CRM offline? Tanks in advance. Ger Prins -- prinsi ...

Ex2003 move database hangs
I need to move two Exchange .edb and .stm databases to a new location. When I go through the procedure, I get the progress window, the bar goes to 100% then it hangs. I have to kill the process. I was able to move the .stm file by itself, but whenever I try to move the ..edb it always hangs. I have tried it on two different .edb files with the same result. I could move it manually, but I don't know where I would go to update the config. so that Exchange would know where I moved it. Exchange v 2003 with SP2. with the message store offline you can specify the path where the .edb ...

Primary database deleted and need to stop log shipping now
One of my N/A's deleted a primary database in SQL 2005 which had log shipping configured. Needless to say, now I get errors in the log shipping reports and event viewer. I have removed the SQL Agent jobs for the backup, copy & restore jobs for this database in Mangement Studio. However, I stil see the errors. I have googled it to death and see some documents that tell me to delete the database name from the tables in the system database. I was under the impression you can not edit system tables in SQL 2005. Any informtation that can be provided is greatly apprec...

What version was database created in?
Using Access 2007 - how can I tell what version of Access a database was created in? On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:12:32 -0500, "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote: Presumably the version is somewhere in the first few bytes of the MDB file. I have never seen it documented though. Why do you need to know? -Tom. >Using Access 2007 - how can I tell what version of Access a database was >created in? > To see whether they need to be converted to Acccess 2007 or not. "Tom van Stiphout" <no.spam.tom7744@cox.net> wrote in message news:fc1ht3...

Database query in Excel
Hi I am using Microsoft query to bring some data into Excel - is it possible to stop the field names coming over as well. i need to place into a preformatted worksheet, which already has the field headings. Thanks J Don't know what kind of query but maybe you could hide the offending row. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Al" <ah@moustraining-nospam-.uk.com> wrote in message news:%23Kw$wHljGHA.1600@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi I am using Microsoft query to bring some data into Excel - is it > possible to stop the field names comi...

Manufacturing Processes Database?
Good morning, I've been tasked with creating a database to store variousmanufacturing processes for different boats. I'm coming to therealization that a database may not be the best solution for what mycompany is wanting, but I was hoping for some input from those moreknowledgeable than myself. I myself am relatively new to Access, andthis is a little more complicated than a DVD collection. Essentially what I need to do is create instruction manuals, withphotographs, on how to build our boats. We currently haveapproximately 12 models, where the only similarities are the generalsta...

Database Issue 11-13-07
Hi I have crm installation running, now i want to replace the databse with another database.what is the best way possible in this. will i have to reinstall crm or replacing databse? pls suggest! use redeployment wizard in the cd. -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com "Ritesh" wrote: > Hi > > I have crm installation running, now i want to replace the databse with > another database.what is the best way possible in this. > > will i have to reinst...

does anyone have a simple central warehouse inventory database
i need to receive specific inv and distribute to other smaller warehouses. i need to keep running totals of who has what items. Hello: Microsoft Access 2007 comes with a standard business inventory database. You can modify it to your needs. I wouldn't think that Excel would be the best tool for an inventory DB. -- Rich Locus Logicwurks, LLC "lee" wrote: > i need to receive specific inv and distribute to other smaller warehouses. i > need to keep running totals of who has what items. ...

Security warning upon opening database
Access Newbie here using Access 2003. Every time I open my database file, I get a "Security Warning" dialog box saying "This file may not be safe!" Very annoying. Can it be turned off? James Ivey Just go: tools->macro->secuirty if you set it to low..you not see any prompts... -- Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP) Edmonton, Alberta Canada pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com Check http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/macrosecurity.html -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "James Ivey" <nope@no...

Could not find database ID 102
Hi, I am getting following error. error: Could not find database ID 102. Database may not be activated yet or may be in transition please help me to get out from this error thanks, Hemant It might be helpfull if you could tell us what you are doing when getting this message? It sounds like you are looking for a database with that specific ID but that this database isn't available. You cuold try to query sys.database for ID 102 and see if it's there - and if it is, then check the status. -- Regards Steen Schl´┐Żter Persson (DK) "Hemant" &...

Database Size, Database Corruption, Message Store & Storage Group
We're just recovering from an Exchange disaster. We discovered that we could not get database backups off of two of our four storage groups. We then discovered we were down one drive in our RAID 5 array. Then we discovered that we could not rebuild onto a new drive, probably due to issues on a second drive. We then attempted to save as much data as we could by exmerging data out of the two damaged stores and moving mailboxes to a second server. In the midst of this, the server crashed and would not reboot. We've since rebuild and recovered what we could, but we want to kn...

Excel Database
I have a database I need to split equally in half by selecting every other lead. Is there a quick way to Select the odd numbered rows(or even numbered rows) of data(each row comprises one lead with it's info) cut those selected rows and then paste them to a new workbook, and then collapse the empty cells in the first worbook? It is a largfe list and I don't want to do this by hand. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks Hi joint, Insert a column to the left of your data. Type "odd" in the top cell of your new column. Type ":even" in the next cell of the n...

is it possible to have one database that shadows another....
Hi, I have an sql 2008 express (adv services) database that is located on my computers e:\. What I want to be able to do, is have a backup database or redundant database, that is always kept upto date so that if the e:\ fails then the other drive is able to be used. Could I use replication within the same SQL Server to do this or can you only replicate from one SQL server to another ? Using hardware raid is not really an option(although perfect as a solution) and the SQL is on Windows Vista, which I don't think has any software based raid mirroring... Thanks ...

How to change the path to a split database file
I recently split my database and it automatically placed the be version of the file in My Documents. Where do I go in Access 2007 to change the path if I move the file from My Documents? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-tablesdbdesign/201001/1 Nancy Open the front-end. Use the Database Tools tab ... then the Database Tools section. Select "Linked Table Manager" Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Me...

repair database exclusive open
My database corrupted and want to open exclusive to repair database, but some users still on the system that I am unable to open exclusive to repair the database Are there any way to kick off all users when disaster repair? Your information is great appreciated, Here's an example of how to do it. Look on the right hand side of the page for the download link to KickEmOff2K http://www.datastrat.com/Download2.html -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201005/1 On May 4, 6:17=A0pm, "Linq Adams via...

Personal Adress Book Database
Hello, I am trying trying to download the Personal Adress Book database template and get error : Microsoft Office Access can't find the databese file 'C:\.....Make sure you entered the correct path and file name. Can anyone help me get around this? Thankn you for your time! ...

HOWTO query by passing a parameter from Infopath 20007 to a Microsoft Access 2007 database?
Hello, I have a Microsoft Access 2007 database foobar.accdb with two tables Student(ID|FirstName|LastName) and Scores(ID|ScoreA|ScoreB) with a primary-foreign key relation on the field 'ID'. I want to create an Infopath form that can submit new students to the 'Student' table and also be able to retreive information from the 'Scores' table. The Infopath form should be able to take 'ID' field as user input and then query based on it. I created a data connection to the database using the wizard. I created a submit connection first to the 'Student&...