Combobox: value from third in stead of first column

I have a combo box with 3 columns. When I choose one of the combo's rows,
the combobox gets the value from the first column. Is it possible to have
the combobox get the value of the third column? I tried changing the
'dependent' column property to 3 but that doesn't help.
Thanks in advance,
John

0
John
1/26/2008 11:10:10 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"John" <john@smith.com> wrote in message
>I have a combo box with 3 columns. When I choose one of the combo's rows,
>the combobox gets the value from the first column. Is it possible to have
>the combobox get the value of the third column?

The Bound Column property determines which column the combo box gets its
value from.  You'll find that on the Data tab of the combo box's property
sheet.

> I tried changing the 'dependent' column property to 3 but that doesn't
> help.

I don't know what you mean by that.  If my answer above doesn't help, please
explain.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
1/26/2008 11:19:04 PM
Thanks Dirk.

I translated it from Dutch. The 'Dependent column' property in fact is the
'Bound column' property. Whatever value I give that property, the combo box
always takes its value from the first column. This is Access 2003 and the
combobox is an unbound field.

John

"Dirk Goldgar" <dg@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> schreef in bericht
> "John" <john@smith.com> wrote in message
>>I have a combo box with 3 columns. When I choose one of the combo's rows,
>>the combobox gets the value from the first column. Is it possible to have
>>the combobox get the value of the third column?
>
> The Bound Column property determines which column the combo box gets its
> value from.  You'll find that on the Data tab of the combo box's property
> sheet.
>
>> I tried changing the 'dependent' column property to 3 but that doesn't
>> help.
>
> I don't know what you mean by that.  If my answer above doesn't help,
> please explain.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> www.datagnostics.com
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

0
John
1/27/2008 6:24:45 AM
This is even weirder.

Like I said the combo always gets the value of the first column, even when
the bound column is set to for instance 3. However if I check for the
combo's value in code by
MsgBox MyComboBox
it shows me value of column 3, while the value actually showing in the combo
is the value of the first column.

John

"John" <john@smith.com> schreef in bericht
> Thanks Dirk.
>
> I translated it from Dutch. The 'Dependent column' property in fact is the
> 'Bound column' property. Whatever value I give that property, the combo
> box always takes its value from the first column. This is Access 2003 and
> the combobox is an unbound field.
>
> John
>
> "Dirk Goldgar" <dg@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> schreef in bericht
>> "John" <john@smith.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a combo box with 3 columns. When I choose one of the combo's rows,
>>>the combobox gets the value from the first column. Is it possible to have
>>>the combobox get the value of the third column?
>>
>> The Bound Column property determines which column the combo box gets its
>> value from.  You'll find that on the Data tab of the combo box's property
>> sheet.
>>
>>> I tried changing the 'dependent' column property to 3 but that doesn't
>>> help.
>>
>> I don't know what you mean by that.  If my answer above doesn't help,
>> please explain.
>>
>> --
>> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
>> www.datagnostics.com
>>
>> (please reply to the newsgroup)

0
John
1/27/2008 7:22:54 AM
John wrote:
> This is even weirder.
>
> Like I said the combo always gets the value of the first column, even
> when the bound column is set to for instance 3. However if I check
> for the combo's value in code by
> MsgBox MyComboBox
> it shows me value of column 3, while the value actually showing in
> the combo is the value of the first column.

The bound column property does not determine which column is displayed when a
choice has been made.  That is always the left-most column with a width greater
than zero.

Showing one column while holding the value of another is one of the fndamental
uses of a ComboBox.  If it always displayed the bound column then you would lose
this feature.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
1/27/2008 1:45:03 PM
Thanks! I now get the idea that the value that is shown is not necesseraly
the value of the combo box.
John

"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> John wrote:
>> This is even weirder.
>>
>> Like I said the combo always gets the value of the first column, even
>> when the bound column is set to for instance 3. However if I check
>> for the combo's value in code by
>> MsgBox MyComboBox
>> it shows me value of column 3, while the value actually showing in
>> the combo is the value of the first column.
>
> The bound column property does not determine which column is displayed
> when a choice has been made.  That is always the left-most column with a
> width greater than zero.
>
> Showing one column while holding the value of another is one of the
> fndamental uses of a ComboBox.  If it always displayed the bound column
> then you would lose this feature.
>
> --
> Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
> Email (as appropriate) to...
> RBrandt   at   Hunter   dot   com

0
John
1/27/2008 2:11:39 PM
As Rich said, the left-most column with a width greater than zero is shown,
so when you  create your combobox be sure to move the field you want to
appear first, then move your other fields over.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq

Totalling Columns
I have two columns of figures B2:B22 and C2:C22. I have merged cells B23 and C23 and want to have figure Column C minus Column B showing in this cell. No matter what form I take I can't achieve this. Can anyone help, please. TIA Ed Hi Ed: In the merged cell {B23-C23} enter the formula: =SUM(B2:B22)-SUM(C2:C22) -- Gary's Student "Ed O'Brien" wrote: > I have two columns of figures B2:B22 and C2:C22. I have merged cells B23 and > C23 and want to have figure Column C minus Column B showing in this cell. > > No matter what form I take I can't...

help needed to find value and add values in corresponding cells
hello. i need to first search a workbook for a number and return the value i the cell 3 over from it. i can do this using vlookup. but in som workbooks there are mutliple values (the one i look for) with mutipl values accross. eg part no. quantity 1 2 1 -- ghyne ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ghynes's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=51 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=75150 Visit - http://www.officehelp.in | http://www.officehelp.in/archive/index.php | http://www.officehelp.in...

Chase
I have a Chase (was Bank One) checking account and a First USA (was Bank One) Visa. I am using M06 trial. A couple of days ago, after a download, a new account appeared called Bank One credit card and it had transactions downloaded that matched transaction that downloaded in my Visa account. I logged into my Chase web account and noticed it now displayed my checking account and a Visa account that was not there a week ago. I viewed the account number and sure enough it was the same as my First USA Visa account number. I know all about the Bank One, First Usa, and Chase merger (my w...

Paste Values not working in Excel 2003 (?)
Hi, Using Excel 2003 with Win xp Pro I copy a range of cels, then I choose EDIT > PASTE SPECIAL > VALUES and it does NOT paste ALL the cel contentent... It does paste all the cels, but only the first 3 lines of each cel's content. Is there any limitation in the number of characters ? Thanks ALex This is not the exact problem you describe, put perhaps it's related: XL2000: "255 Characters in Cell" Error When Copying Worksheet, at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213548 -- HTH - -Frank Isaacs Dolphin Technology Corp. http://vbapro.com ...

how do I make the first three rows repeat on top of every page?
I am using Excel 2002 and have documents with 9 colums wide and 100 to 200 rows long. I am printing in landscape mode on letter size paper. I want the first three rows of the very first page to repeat at the top of each new page that gets printed. So every time there is a page break it will re-insert the top three rows before continuing with the row sequence? Ok,,, so I am a newbe :o) Thanks for any help. StardustDave. Hi Dave Have a look at Page Setup/Sheet/Rows to repeat box HTH Michael "StardustDave" wrote: > I am using Excel 2002 and have documents with 9 colums wide...

Assign Values to String Value
Hello, I am trying to assign a numeric value to cells with string/text variables. For instance, 10-2 would signify 4 hours... so the value I would like to calculate would be 4. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks "PC-Renew" wrote: > I am trying to assign a numeric value to cells with string/text variables. > For instance, 10-2 would signify 4 hours... so the value I would like to > calculate would be 4. Is there an easy way to do this? VLOOKUP would be, imo, the easiest. Eg: Assume textstring in A1: 11-7 Then in B1: =VLOOKUP(A1,{"10-2",4;"1...

copy only unhide columns
Dear Sir/Madam, I need to how do I copy all values in a worksheet EXCEPT hidden column and paste them into a new workbook. Regards, sea -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Sean, Select your columns even the hidden ones. then press F5 click on "special" then click on visible cells only then do your copy and pasting. Regards, Cesar zapata seanyeap < wrote: > Dear Sir/Madam, > I need to how do I copy all values in a worksheet EXCEPT hidden columns > and paste them into a new workbook. > > Regards, > sean > > > --- > Message ...

Last Value in a Column when Value <> 0
Hi, can someone provide me a formula that populates a cell with the last value in a column that does not = 0? Below is an example 3 6 7 0 0 0 The goal is to populate a cell with the value of 7. I am currently using the below formula that populates the last value of a column: =INDEX('Retirement Total'!B:B,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,'Retirement Total'!B:B)) I do not however know how to change this to not populate the last value when it is zero. Your help is appreciated. Assuming you want the last *numeric* value that <>0. Try something like this: =LOOKUP(1E100,1/'...

group by column
hi all, I've got a file like this... A Number State 1 02 A 1 02 F 1 02 S 1 04 A 1 04 C ..... .... .... .... I'd like to create a new sheet in the same file with only 1 row for every number The state is decided in this order A R F C S That means that if I've got the same number but different state I should keep the row with the highest order. Any hints?? thanks Rossella This uses Pivot Table. Assume your data looks like this: 02 A 01 F 01 S 01 R 02 C 03 F 01 R 02 A 03 S 03 C Pivot Table > Multiple Cons...

Copying Part of a row down part of a column
Hi, My problem is this. I have a specific row of data that I need to copy part of down a column, until the next row of data. The data is in a format 12345 abcd efgh ijkl I only need to copy the numeric portion (12345) down the column, until the next row I need to copy (same format) shows up. What's the best/quickest way to do this. It's like an =IF function, but I'm not sure of the syntax. Thanks Try this: assuming your column A is the column with your data with blank rows i between and column B is where you want the results then. =IF(A2<>"",LEFT...

The most repeted item in a column?
How to get the highest number repeted in a column which exist of numbers? Use MODE(column). Hope this helps. Pete On Dec 3, 9:25=A0pm, kaveh <kavehamo...@yahoo.ca> wrote: > How to get the highest number repeted in a column which exist of numbers? ...

decision on Combobox
Hi, I created a combobox based on a cell range F1:F4. This works fine. The problem I'm having is how can I make a decision on the combobox selection in another cell? Do I need to write VBA code to do this? (I hope not but, If I have to) I've tried using an IF statement in the cell that is evaluating the combobox but its not working. I referenced the name of the combobox but, how do I evaluate the selection? Thanks in advance for your help! Tony Hi do you use a combobox or a listbox created by 'Data - Validation - List' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Ton...

Stacked Column gap width
I have a stacked column graph and I have set the gap width to 0. There is, however, still space between the stacked columns. The gap looks to be about twice as wide as the column themselves. Any idea why? The column overlap is set to 100. The Gap Width is set to 0. In case it matters, the X axis is a time scale, all axis settings are automatic. It looks like both ClusteredColumn and StackedColumn graph types have some intra-cluster spacing that cannot be eliminated... Brian Herbert Withun When you use a time-scale axis, it creates categories for each day (all days). The time-scale is ...

Copy a value without linking?
I am trying to automatically set the value of a text box within a subform when the user creates a new record in that subform. I want the value to be pulled from another form (the main form which the subform is linked to) in the database, but I do not want the value to ever be updated. In other words, I want to just copy the value from the main from to the test box on the subform-- once and only once. Example: MainForm: field="Name" (field is a combo box) Subform: field="NameAtTimeRecordWasCreated" (field is a text box) The "Name" field on MainForm...

Move column to in-between existing columns
Is there a way to move an entire column to in-between existing columns without getting the error message, "Do you want to replace contents in destination cells?" and also without VB? I'm no use with coding... What I've been doing is to insert new blank column, highlight and drag my existing column to this new column, then delete the old column. Have you tried "control x" to cut the column from the old location and then ctl v to paste it to the new? Peter London, UK "Melissa" wrote: > Is there a way to move an entire column to in-between exis...

Printing columns
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C77B57.C072D1F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable All, Please forgive this very simple task request. I am trying to eliminate = the white space on the right side of a printed page and ultimately the = total number of pages. All of that means that I would like to display = and print multiple groups of columns within the same page. Example, the spreadsheet contains three columns of information: Column 1 is 2 characters Column 2 is 12 characters Co...

Sequential numbering when X column repeats records
I have a table with 2 columns Column 1 has records A A A B B C A Column 2 needs to have the number of times row one repeats a record. Something like this 1 2 3 1 2 1 Any formula that will find records on column one and sequentially number column B depending on amount of records? Thank you -RoMo -- RoMo robpiolink, Give each record a value of one with a calculated bound field in your query... GrpCounter : 1 Add GrpCounter to the report section. Group your report on each letter (in this example), and set GrpCount Running S...

Average w/o Zero Values
Was wondering if anyone could kindly suggest a method of determining the average of a column (or row) of numbers but not including any cells with a value of zero? Also, if a range is conditionally formated to flag numerical values not within a certain range, how can one prevent it from flagging cells which are set = blank or empty? TIA for any assistance............. Laurie Forbes Hi Laurie: For averages excluding zeros you can use: =AVERAGE(IF(MyRange,MyRange)) Entered as an array by pressing Ctrl + Shift and then pressing Enter With your conditional formatting problem. Use a first c...

Need to Sum one column for each row that is part of a group and then filter out dups
I have around 53,000 rows of data with columns A-I. The first five rows for example have data for a particular student... STUDENT A. Rows 6 through 15 have data about another student... STUDENT B, and so forth. Each column per student has the same data in it with the exception of the last column, column I. Column I has the students GPA (Grade Point Averages) in it per row. So, for example, STUDENT A might have a GPA in row 1 of 4.0, a GPA in row 2 of 2.5, a GPA in row 3 of 4.0, a GPA in row 4 of 3.0, and a GPA in row 5 of 4.0. Since all data in the rows for each person has the same...

how do i use format cells to alpha / numeric values
HAVE A STRING OF DATA i WANT TO ENTER into a cell, but I also want to set format to set the values. eg. if I put in asd123 I want it to appear as ASD123 but there are also occasions when I will put in a different mix of letters/numbers a12s3d, which I also want to come out as A12S3D. I can do this in Access but cant seem to crack the code in excel. Please help. Try =UPPER(E2) HTH Regards, Howard "Samvid69" <Samvid69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:701E3143-A79D-4FDE-8661-325795CE50F0@microsoft.com... > HAVE A STRING OF DATA i WANT T...

How do Bar chart where Bar colour changes with different data Valu
hi, I would like to develop a Bar chart, which changes its bar colour for different data values. e.g for a cell format and to change colour of a cell for different values we can use conditional format. Hi, Have a look an Jon's example of conditional charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy Zeeshan wrote: > hi, > I would like to develop a Bar chart, which changes its bar colour for > different data values. e.g for a cell format and to change colour of a cell > for different values we can use conditional format. -- Andy Pope, Micro...

Some Cells display text others dates in the same column
I imported a .csv file into Excel. One column contains the SKU # of a product. All my SKU's are formatted as x-xxxx. However some of the cells in the column display the SKU as it should, but many (45 out of 170) are displayed as a date format mmm-yy. Each one of the 45 is different. The cells in question show up as "custom" and when I try to change it to "text" I get a completey different number than the SKU I need. Somebody please help. Hi Phil, Format the entire column manually, choose Format, Cells, Number tab, Custom and enter #-#### in the Type box...

Rows and Columns italicized
the A,B,C and 1,2,3 are all italicized. How can I change it back? This is also true on all other apps not just Excel but since that's where it started I thought I'd post it here. What font do you have under tools>options>general, excel's default is arial? Also check if you have any styles applied under format>style Regards, Peo Sjoblom "bradsdad25" <bradsdad25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC440A19-14E2-4DBF-91B4-230DAFE4D7A8@microsoft.com... > the A,B,C and 1,2,3 are all italicized. How can I change it back? This is > also tr...

Trendline on difference between two columns
How do I create a trendline illuminating the spread between two columns of numbers, such as bond yields; e.g. a trend showing differencwe between a ten year bond and ten year Treasury Inflation Protected bonds over time? Red, Make a third column in your sheet, include it in your chart, and change it to a line chart. To change to line, when it comes up as a column, select that series - right-click - Chart type - Line. The third column should have a formula that calculates the difference. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ----------------------------------------...

add same number to a column of numbers
How do i add .25 to a column of 15 different numbers at one time instead of doing it separately. Let's say you have the 15 different numbers in A1:A20 In B1 put =A1+.25 Copy that down to B20 "djs" <djs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1731B32F-C776-401C-A772-541187721F8F@microsoft.com... > How do i add .25 to a column of 15 different numbers at one time instead > of > doing it separately. Or: enter .25 in an empty cell. Edit>Copy.Select A1:A20 Edit>Paste Special, check Add -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Barb Reinhardt" <...