Combo No Change and After Update Event

I have a combo box where  the After Update event of the combo box is
used to reset another control on the form to Null.

Sometimes a user will want to reconsider his/her choice in the combo
box and make a different selection from what was there before. This is
OK as it triggers the resetting of the other control to Null.

My problem is - sometimes the user will revisit the combo box and
explore the other possible selections in the combo but eventually
settles back on the original selection with the result that the After
Update event is triggered and the other control value is scrubbed,
which is what we don't want.

How do I overcome this and stop the After Update activating if the
selection is the same as before?

Yvonne

0
Yvonne
6/8/2007 5:59:37 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

If you are talking about a previously saved record and the combo is bound
then you can compare the combo.OldValue and combo.Value in the After Update
event and only reset the other control if these values are different.

For an unsaved record then, if it's really necessary, whenever the combo is
updated you could try saving the value in a hidden unbound text box and you
could compare the text box value with the combo's.  (Update the text box's
value in the combo's After Update but obviously AFTER you make the
comparison)...off the top of my head

HTH

"Yvonne" <loyalty2uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a combo box where  the After Update event of the combo box is
> used to reset another control on the form to Null.
>
> Sometimes a user will want to reconsider his/her choice in the combo
> box and make a different selection from what was there before. This is
> OK as it triggers the resetting of the other control to Null.
>
> My problem is - sometimes the user will revisit the combo box and
> explore the other possible selections in the combo but eventually
> settles back on the original selection with the result that the After
> Update event is triggered and the other control value is scrubbed,
> which is what we don't want.
>
> How do I overcome this and stop the After Update activating if the
> selection is the same as before?
>
> Yvonne

0
Jon
6/8/2007 6:37:58 PM
> If you are talking about a previously saved record and the combo is bound
> then you can compare the combo.OldValue and combo.Value in the After Update
> event and only reset the other control if these values are different.

I've tried the following wording to make the comparison but can't get
it to work..

 ""   If Me.ReasonID = Me.CmbReason Then...""

.... where CmbReason is the Combo box name and Reason ID is the Control
Source.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Yvone

0
Yvonne
6/8/2007 7:56:49 PM
> Any assistance would be much appreciated.
> Yvonne

No worry, I just got it sussed by discovering the ".OldValue"
property.

Which all proves that Newbies learn something every every day.

Meantime , many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Yvonne

0
Yvonne

pointer changes from arrow to plussign
Somehow the pointer arrow in excel has changed from an arrow to a plus sign. How can I change it back to an a n arrow? That would depend upon where you are pointing the cursor. If anywhere on the cells portion of a worksheet, the cursor is a fat white plus sign. If pointing to menus, toolbars, sheet tabs or scrollbars the cursor should be an arrow. Are you saying your cursor "never" changes to an arrow? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:15:34 -0700, "gmohanco" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Somehow the pointer arrow in excel has c...

track changes set to underline for insertion but strikingthrough
I have set track changes to underline and strikethrough but when used they reverse. Is there a fix? Perhaps you're looking at Original Showing Markup instead of Final Showing Markup view? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFD8AD50-B7ED-48C0-AD19-468846ACBEBE@microsoft.com... >I have set track changes to underline and strikethrough but when used they > reverse. > Is there a fix? ...

update all comboboxes when anyother changes
I am creating a userform where a user will enter a value in combobox (o textbox). I want to have the rest of the combo boxes on the form (abou 13 of them) to update to the correct value corresponding to combobox1 ( am using a closed workbook to populate the comboboxes). For example if a user enters (or selects via a dropdown) 001 i combobox1 the data in combobox2 would change to "Company 1"; combobox would change to "Attn: John Doe"; combobox4 would change to "You Town"; etc. It also has to allow the user to change any other combobox withou affecting the value...

How do i Change links to Relative links for linking pdf files?
Using Publisher, how do i change a link from absolute to relative.. I ahave created an offline website as a demo CD to hand out to clients, but the linked PDF's will only work when the CD drive of the computer is D:, how can i make the link read from the CD no matter whats the drive directory is called?? Please help When you are in the hyperlink dialog do not browse to the file to set the link. Use the address option and enter the path you want. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosik.com "Riggaz" <Riggaz@discussions.microso...

Changing print area
Is there any way that i can change the print area using a macro so that the current print area is moved a further 8 columns down the worksheet, but the size of the print area stays the same? Thanks, Aaron Range("Print_Area").Offset(8).Name="Print_Area" Bob Umlas Excel MVP FYI, I'll be leading a LIVE 1-hour FREE webinar on tips & tricks on January 14 and again on Jan 27 from 4-5 PM est. It's done from your computer. To find out more & register, go to http://www.iil.com, click on the yellowish rectangle on the left "Try a free webinar", click t...

Balance changes with different view.
On my checking account register, if I click, "unreconciled only", the balance changes by over $3000. I have no other transactions for this amount. It has just started misbehaving in this way recently. (The running balance has always been the same regardless of the view). I tried the file repair feature, but no dice. Any ideas or advice? Thanks in advance This is fixed, now. (in thread below)... Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >On my checking account register, if I >click, "unreconciled only", the balance changes by over >$3000. I have no other tran...

Exchange 2003 Event ID#3017 from MSExchange Transport
Last week we were hit by spammers from China. They were able to guess a password and authenticate using smnp. One week later, it appears that they keep trying to ping our server. Once every hour, the message is being posted in our application log. It has the address of the spammer. How can I shut down whatever open port they are trying to use? Check your Firewall logs and try to find out what port(s) they are using. If you can verify what IP addresses they are using block those on the Firewall as well. They may also use other machines outside of China to attack your network. I ha...

Formulas Not Updating
on occasion, formulas are not automatically updating even though the auto update is turned on. I have to edit the cell with F2, then hit enter to get the updates. There must be a fix out there for this? Anyone know? thx! go, TOOLS, OPTIONS and on the CALCULATION tab make sure the automatic calculations is on. cheers nick >-----Original Message----- >on occasion, formulas are not automatically updating even >though the auto update is turned on. I have to edit the >cell with F2, then hit enter to get the updates. There >must be a fix out there for this? Anyone kn...

MS Money 2007 Price Updates
I would like to turn the automatic update of Mutual Fund and Stock prices OFF. I would rather update after I balance to my broker's hard copy statement. How do I do this? I notice that most of my funds have online updates from Dec 1, Dec 22 and Dec 29th. I installed MS Money 2007 on Dec 28th and have just started using it. Why are updates for these dates chosen? I had been using Money 2003 and had it set so that I could control when it went to the internet for price updates. In microsoft.public.money, June wrote: >I would like to turn the automatic update of Mutual Fund and...

publisher did not recognize my files in 2000 after applying update
I went to the officeupdates site and updated office 2000, it took 3 passes to get them all. now I can't open any of my saved publisher files short of loading the disks on another computer, how can I get to the data on the saved publications ...

Order of Events on Form/Subform (?)
In the Help file for Access 2002, it states: "When you open a form containing a subform, the subform and its records are loaded before the main form. Thus, the events for the subform and its controls (such as Open, Current, Enter, and GotFocus) occur before the events for the form. The Activate event doesn't occur for subforms, however, so opening a main form triggers an Activate event only for the main form." How can the subform load records before the main form? How would it "know" which records to load? -- croy On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:22:49 -0800, croy <croy...

Combo Box List out of range error.
For I = 1 To 6 Dim Item As String Item = "I" & CStr(I) roomName = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range(Item).Value Worksheets("Sheets1").cmbList.AddItem (roomName) MsgBox (roomName) Next I dont know why this piece of code is throwsing the error. If the line Worksheets("Sheets1").cmbList.AddItem (roomName) is commented out, then the msg box shows all the 6 items there. Which tells me there is some problem with this line of code(combo box). Is there a property that needs to be set for combo box's?Please h...

Address Book not updated
Hello, As we are updating Active Directory and Exchange, our users have several more days their address book not up to date. I rebuild the Recipient Update Service but nothing changes. Bonjour, Alors que nous faisons des mise � jour dans Active Directory et Exchange, nos utilisateurs se retrouvent plusieurs jours avec leur carnet d'adresse pas actualis�. Je reconstruit la mise � jour des destinataires, mais rien ne change. Is there another place where I can set it ?? Thank you in advance, Cyril If you are using Outlook 2003 in cached mode, make sure the Offline Address Book is re-...

Change an Investment Type in Money 2006?
In Money 2006 there does not appear to be any way to indicate the investment type of a new investment or change it after it is created. On MSN Money the investment (symbol FVL) is listed as a stock, but it is a closed-end fund. I need to record the year-end capital gains distributions, but since Money thinks it's a stock, I can't do that. The only transaction types that are allowed are Dividend and Other Income. How do I record both Short-Term and Long-Term capital gains? How can I change the investment type to Mutual Fund (or some other type that is more accurate)? Thanks, Scu...

Combo box
In Access 97, I'd like to automate sending an email if the status of "Completed" is selected from the dropdown list. The email would always go to the same address, basically a notification that the status is complete. Thanks, Mary I'd also like to include in the subject or message body the value in one field on the form if possible. "Mary" wrote: > In Access 97, I'd like to automate sending an email if the status of > "Completed" is selected from the dropdown list. The email would always go to > the same address, basically a notifi...

OWA problems after changing default SMTP E-Mail Addresses for our site (exchange 2003 on windows server 2003)
(Edit: In the process of writing this message I have learned that my problem has been partially corrected but some functionality is still not work so I'll continue asking for advise. After some of my research I believe a reboot of the exchange server is what helped the situation) Environment: We're running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 on the back end and we have OWA running on another Windows Server 2003 system in the DMZ. We recently acquired a shorter name for our company and we wanted to make a site wide change of the default SMTP reply-to address for all our employees. (f...

Update Prices Online & Disconnect
Money seems to have a mind of its own! I want to update prices online by clicking "update prices online" in my portfolio. I find that anytime I open Money it has already updated prices without my instruction to do so. I want it to update only when I trigger the action and not before. When I do connect to update prices, it does so, but then disconnects me from the internet. I have it set to NOT disconnect. Microsoft seems to automatically download things without my knowledge. Any cure for these items? In microsoft.public.money, Jim T wrote: >Money seems to have a mind of...

Apply these internet update from M$ Corporation
--wvzhrgaogvvfahz Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="vmesnvvbcltk"; type="multipart/alternative" --vmesnvvbcltk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="yrinohwvbu" --yrinohwvbu Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer. This updat...

Was 2005 just updated?
When I downloaded this morning the display that says to click on to hide the display was not there and my downloads occurred much faster than previously. It is interesting that this happened on the day after I started trying Quicken. (More on that later). ...

combo box control issue - working fine in '03,
when I add a new record on the form via VBA - and then go to the combo box control, the control tip shows properly, but the cursor is not blinking. can not type anything into the box. when I click on the box, all is ok. any ideas as to what is wrong? works fine in access 2003. thx Make sure that you have at least the first 2 service packs in Access 2007. There was a combo box dropdown problem that I think was fixed in SP2. If you still have the problem, try SP3. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access &...

Changing compatibility
When you change the compatibility level of a database, does it check to see if all the objects are compatible at that point or only when you start using it. For example, if you have a non-ansi join, which is not compatible in 2008, will it tell you automatically that you have a problem or will it wait until you run the procedure before it tells you? Also, if you take a backup of a 2000 or 2005 database and restore it on a 2008 Server, will it automatically try to convert it? Thanks, Tom It doesn't check anything existing when you change compat level. Use the ...

changing field size in forms
How can I change the field size appearence on forms? I have a form with the fields "client name", "client phone" and "client adress". I want them to appear with different sizes, but I can only change the margins all at one time... I can't figure out where to do this! Can someone help, please? Is this Access 2007? If so: 1. Open the form in design view (or layout view.) 2. Select all the controls (Ctrl+A.) 3. On the Arrange tab of the ribbon, in the Control Layout group, click Remove. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for...

Problem with SDK pages after changing SQL port number

Problems changing password in Crystal Reports after CRM 1.2 installation
When attempting to change the password in the Crystal Reports Password Tool (leaving the old password blank as per the CRM installation instructions), I receive the following error: Unable to change password. Error returned is : The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. This installation is on Win2K3 SBS if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance, Carson F. Ball Technician The Alexander Group ...

Exchange 5.5 Event ID 4026
Dear all, I have a problem with Exchange 5.5 SP4 with IMC. Lots of mails stuck in outbound queue and I received lots of events under Event Viewer with the following message: "Unable to bind the outbound TCP/IP socket. Mail will be resent ater." ---- Event ID 4026 After I restart the server, Exchange Server will be usable again, however, after 1 to 2 days, this will happen again and I can't send e-mail over the Internet (can send internally). I have search through the Internet, I found lots of people asked this questions, however, I can't really find the solution, not in...