Combo boxes and append query or what?

For a contact list I need to get (amongst other things) State,
Locality and Postcode (Australia). I've downloaded the current listing
and modified it to a table tblPcode5col with unique records and 5
columns:
fldP5ID          Autonumber Primary Key
fldState         Text 3
fldLocality      Text 40
fldPcode        Text 4 (has to be text as some post codes have a
leading zero)
fldComments  Text 40

As this table is rather large ,16,000+ records, I figured that it
might be better for whoever has to update data if there were an
intermediate table tblLocality (fldLocalityID, fldP5ID [link to
tblPcode5col], fldState, fldLocality and fldPcode) which stores
State,Locality,Pcode records that are actually being used in that
application (at best a few hundred). Naturally, every now and again,
particularly in the early stages, tblLocality wont have the desired
record as yet, therefore it needs to be retrieved from tblPcode5col.

So far I'm thinking of using a form with three combo boxes:
cboState ,cboLocality and cboPcode to get to the desired record in
tblPcode5col. Next would be to do an append query to retrieve the
found record and place it into tblLocality, the table which in day to
day running is being looked up from contact updates.

Is this a feasible approach or do I have to do a complete rethink?

So far I've only got the first two lookups going, state and Locality
and even there is a hiccup: Once the AfterUpdate of cboState fires a
dialog box "Enter Parameter Value" pops up with the selected State
abbreviation selected in cboState. Enter ANY state abbreviation and
that states' localities show up in cboLocaliity.

Private Sub cboState_AfterUpdate()

    Me.cboLocality.RowSource = "SELECT tblPcode5col.fldLocality " & _
                                "FROM tblPcode5col " & _
                                "WHERE tblPcode5col.fldState = " &
Me.cboState & " " & _
                                "ORDER BY tblPcode5col.fldLocality;"
    Me.cboLocality = Me.cboLocality.ItemData(1)

End Sub

From this behaviour I conclude that the query appears to be working
but ???

I'm looking forward for someone shining some light into this to help
me clear the fog of ignorance.

Elmar
0
Elmar
1/15/2010 12:16:50 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

7 Replies
709 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 4

Elmar-
Sounds more complicated than necessary. I assume the person who "has to 
update the data" is adding a new contact and needs to enter the appropriate 
state, locality and postal code (or changing the address of an existing 
contact). Why not keep your one large table and have a series of combo boxes 
(linked to queries) on your data entry form to narrow the search? Have one 
for "Select State" (call it fldSelectState) with a control source of a query 
containing only fldState (grouped so you don't show duplicates), one for 
"Select Locality" with a control source of a query containing fldLocality, 
etc. Add code to the "After Update" property of each combo box to refresh the 
data in the subsequent boxes so they only include data that works with the 
selections they have made (i.e. after updating fldSelectState, the 
fldSelectLocality's control source includes WHERE fldState = 
Me![fldSelectState]). You should also add code to cover instances where (for 
example) the data-entry person starts with the Select PostCode box first (and 
the others are null). 

It is never a good idea to have two tables with the same data in one database!
Jill

"Elmar" wrote:

> For a contact list I need to get (amongst other things) State,
> Locality and Postcode (Australia). I've downloaded the current listing
> and modified it to a table tblPcode5col with unique records and 5
> columns:
> fldP5ID          Autonumber Primary Key
> fldState         Text 3
> fldLocality      Text 40
> fldPcode        Text 4 (has to be text as some post codes have a
> leading zero)
> fldComments  Text 40
> 
> As this table is rather large ,16,000+ records, I figured that it
> might be better for whoever has to update data if there were an
> intermediate table tblLocality (fldLocalityID, fldP5ID [link to
> tblPcode5col], fldState, fldLocality and fldPcode) which stores
> State,Locality,Pcode records that are actually being used in that
> application (at best a few hundred). Naturally, every now and again,
> particularly in the early stages, tblLocality wont have the desired
> record as yet, therefore it needs to be retrieved from tblPcode5col.
> 
> So far I'm thinking of using a form with three combo boxes:
> cboState ,cboLocality and cboPcode to get to the desired record in
> tblPcode5col. Next would be to do an append query to retrieve the
> found record and place it into tblLocality, the table which in day to
> day running is being looked up from contact updates.
> 
> Is this a feasible approach or do I have to do a complete rethink?
> 
> So far I've only got the first two lookups going, state and Locality
> and even there is a hiccup: Once the AfterUpdate of cboState fires a
> dialog box "Enter Parameter Value" pops up with the selected State
> abbreviation selected in cboState. Enter ANY state abbreviation and
> that states' localities show up in cboLocaliity.
> 
> Private Sub cboState_AfterUpdate()
> 
>     Me.cboLocality.RowSource = "SELECT tblPcode5col.fldLocality " & _
>                                 "FROM tblPcode5col " & _
>                                 "WHERE tblPcode5col.fldState = " &
> Me.cboState & " " & _
>                                 "ORDER BY tblPcode5col.fldLocality;"
>     Me.cboLocality = Me.cboLocality.ItemData(1)
> 
> End Sub
> 
> From this behaviour I conclude that the query appears to be working
> but ???
> 
> I'm looking forward for someone shining some light into this to help
> me clear the fog of ignorance.
> 
> Elmar
> .
> 
0
Utf
1/15/2010 6:53:02 PM
On Jan 16, 3:53=A0am, Mrs. Ugh <Mrs...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Elmar-
> Sounds more complicated than necessary. I assume the person who "has to
> update the data" is adding a new contact and needs to enter the appropria=
te
> state, locality and postal code (or changing the address of an existing
> contact). Why not keep your one large table and have a series of combo bo=
xes
> (linked to queries) on your data entry form to narrow the search? Have on=
e
> for "Select State" (call it fldSelectState) with a control source of a qu=
ery
> containing only fldState (grouped so you don't show duplicates), one for
> "Select Locality" with a control source of a query containing fldLocality=
,
> etc. Add code to the "After Update" property of each combo box to refresh=
 the
> data in the subsequent boxes so they only include data that works with th=
e
> selections they have made (i.e. after updating fldSelectState, the
> fldSelectLocality's control source includes WHERE fldState =3D
> Me![fldSelectState]). You should also add code to cover instances where (=
for
> example) the data-entry person starts with the Select PostCode box first =
(and
> the others are null).
>
> It is never a good idea to have two tables with the same data in one data=
base!
> Jill
>
> "Elmar" wrote:
> > For a contact list I need to get (amongst other things) State,
> > Locality and Postcode (Australia). I've downloaded the current listing
> > and modified it to a table tblPcode5col with unique records and 5
> > columns:
> > fldP5ID =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Autonumber Primary Key
> > fldState =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Text 3
> > fldLocality =A0 =A0 =A0Text 40
> > fldPcode =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Text 4 (has to be text as some post codes have =
a
> > leading zero)
> > fldComments =A0Text 40
>
> > As this table is rather large ,16,000+ records, I figured that it
> > might be better for whoever has to update data if there were an
> > intermediate table tblLocality (fldLocalityID, fldP5ID [link to
> > tblPcode5col], fldState, fldLocality and fldPcode) which stores
> > State,Locality,Pcode records that are actually being used in that
> > application (at best a few hundred). Naturally, every now and again,
> > particularly in the early stages, tblLocality wont have the desired
> > record as yet, therefore it needs to be retrieved from tblPcode5col.
>
> > So far I'm thinking of using a form with three combo boxes:
> > cboState ,cboLocality and cboPcode to get to the desired record in
> > tblPcode5col. Next would be to do an append query to retrieve the
> > found record and place it into tblLocality, the table which in day to
> > day running is being looked up from contact updates.
>
> > Is this a feasible approach or do I have to do a complete rethink?
>
> > So far I've only got the first two lookups going, state and Locality
> > and even there is a hiccup: Once the AfterUpdate of cboState fires a
> > dialog box "Enter Parameter Value" pops up with the selected State
> > abbreviation selected in cboState. Enter ANY state abbreviation and
> > that states' localities show up in cboLocaliity.
>
> > Private Sub cboState_AfterUpdate()
>
> > =A0 =A0 Me.cboLocality.RowSource =3D "SELECT tblPcode5col.fldLocality "=
 & _
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 "FROM t=
blPcode5col " & _
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 "WHERE =
tblPcode5col.fldState =3D " &
> > Me.cboState & " " & _
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 "ORDER =
BY tblPcode5col.fldLocality;"
> > =A0 =A0 Me.cboLocality =3D Me.cboLocality.ItemData(1)
>
> > End Sub
>
> > From this behaviour I conclude that the query appears to be working
> > but ???
>
> > I'm looking forward for someone shining some light into this to help
> > me clear the fog of ignorance.
>
> > Elmar
> > .

Thanks Jill,

that should make life easier, since with type-ahead even a large set
of records narrows down quite quickly. Which just leaves me with that
pesky little "Enter Parameter Value" dialog box. Any thoughts on that?

Elmar
0
Elmar
1/15/2010 7:26:18 PM
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:26:18 -0800 (PST), Elmar <emelec@austarnet.com.au>
wrote:

>Which just leaves me with that
>pesky little "Enter Parameter Value" dialog box. Any thoughts on that?

That usually means that there is something in your query in square brackets
which Access doesn't recognize. When do you get it? Could you post the current
SQL view of your query, and indicate which parameter it's asking about?
-- 

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
1/15/2010 8:49:15 PM
Elmar:

You might like to take a look at:

http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=libraryMessages&tsn=1&tid=23626&webtag=ws-msdevapps


which demonstrates ways of handling this type of hierarchical data by means
of correlated combo boxes while maintaining normalized table structures.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Elmar wrote:
>For a contact list I need to get (amongst other things) State,
>Locality and Postcode (Australia). I've downloaded the current listing
>and modified it to a table tblPcode5col with unique records and 5
>columns:
>fldP5ID          Autonumber Primary Key
>fldState         Text 3
>fldLocality      Text 40
>fldPcode        Text 4 (has to be text as some post codes have a
>leading zero)
>fldComments  Text 40
>
>As this table is rather large ,16,000+ records, I figured that it
>might be better for whoever has to update data if there were an
>intermediate table tblLocality (fldLocalityID, fldP5ID [link to
>tblPcode5col], fldState, fldLocality and fldPcode) which stores
>State,Locality,Pcode records that are actually being used in that
>application (at best a few hundred). Naturally, every now and again,
>particularly in the early stages, tblLocality wont have the desired
>record as yet, therefore it needs to be retrieved from tblPcode5col.
>
>So far I'm thinking of using a form with three combo boxes:
>cboState ,cboLocality and cboPcode to get to the desired record in
>tblPcode5col. Next would be to do an append query to retrieve the
>found record and place it into tblLocality, the table which in day to
>day running is being looked up from contact updates.
>
>Is this a feasible approach or do I have to do a complete rethink?
>
>So far I've only got the first two lookups going, state and Locality
>and even there is a hiccup: Once the AfterUpdate of cboState fires a
>dialog box "Enter Parameter Value" pops up with the selected State
>abbreviation selected in cboState. Enter ANY state abbreviation and
>that states' localities show up in cboLocaliity.
>
>Private Sub cboState_AfterUpdate()
>
>    Me.cboLocality.RowSource = "SELECT tblPcode5col.fldLocality " & _
>                                "FROM tblPcode5col " & _
>                                "WHERE tblPcode5col.fldState = " &
>Me.cboState & " " & _
>                                "ORDER BY tblPcode5col.fldLocality;"
>    Me.cboLocality = Me.cboLocality.ItemData(1)
>
>End Sub
>
>From this behaviour I conclude that the query appears to be working
>but ???
>
>I'm looking forward for someone shining some light into this to help
>me clear the fog of ignorance.
>
>Elmar

-- 
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/201001/1

0
KenSheridan
1/15/2010 9:00:02 PM
On Jan 16, 6:00=A0am, "KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com" <u51882@uwe>
wrote:
> Elmar:
>
> You might like to take a look at:
>
> http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=3DlibraryMessages&ts..=
..
>
> which demonstrates ways of handling this type of hierarchical data by mea=
ns
> of correlated combo boxes while maintaining normalized table structures.
>
> Ken Sheridan
> Stafford, England
>
>
>
> Elmar wrote:
> >For a contact list I need to get (amongst other things) State,
> >Locality and Postcode (Australia). I've downloaded the current listing
> >and modified it to a table tblPcode5col with unique records and 5
> >columns:
> >fldP5ID =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Autonumber Primary Key
> >fldState =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Text 3
> >fldLocality =A0 =A0 =A0Text 40
> >fldPcode =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Text 4 (has to be text as some post codes have a
> >leading zero)
> >fldComments =A0Text 40
>
> >As this table is rather large ,16,000+ records, I figured that it
> >might be better for whoever has to update data if there were an
> >intermediate table tblLocality (fldLocalityID, fldP5ID [link to
> >tblPcode5col], fldState, fldLocality and fldPcode) which stores
> >State,Locality,Pcode records that are actually being used in that
> >application (at best a few hundred). Naturally, every now and again,
> >particularly in the early stages, tblLocality wont have the desired
> >record as yet, therefore it needs to be retrieved from tblPcode5col.
>
> >So far I'm thinking of using a form with three combo boxes:
> >cboState ,cboLocality and cboPcode to get to the desired record in
> >tblPcode5col. Next would be to do an append query to retrieve the
> >found record and place it into tblLocality, the table which in day to
> >day running is being looked up from contact updates.
>
> >Is this a feasible approach or do I have to do a complete rethink?
>
> >So far I've only got the first two lookups going, state and Locality
> >and even there is a hiccup: Once the AfterUpdate of cboState fires a
> >dialog box "Enter Parameter Value" pops up with the selected State
> >abbreviation selected in cboState. Enter ANY state abbreviation and
> >that states' localities show up in cboLocaliity.
>
> >Private Sub cboState_AfterUpdate()
>
> > =A0 =A0Me.cboLocality.RowSource =3D "SELECT tblPcode5col.fldLocality " =
& _
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0"FROM tb=
lPcode5col " & _
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0"WHERE t=
blPcode5col.fldState =3D " &
> >Me.cboState & " " & _
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0"ORDER B=
Y tblPcode5col.fldLocality;"
> > =A0 =A0Me.cboLocality =3D Me.cboLocality.ItemData(1)
>
> >End Sub
>
> >From this behaviour I conclude that the query appears to be working
> >but ???
>
> >I'm looking forward for someone shining some light into this to help
> >me clear the fog of ignorance.
>
> >Elmar
>
> --
> Message posted via AccessMonster.comhttp://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Foru=
ms.aspx/access/201001/1

Hello Ken,

the third approach looks like what I need, even though all State,
Locality and Pcode reside in the one table. I'm thinking to just store
the fldP5ID in the Address table, i.e., top down not bottom up.

Elmar
0
Elmar
1/15/2010 11:25:44 PM
On Jan 16, 5:49=A0am, John W. Vinson
<jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:26:18 -0800 (PST), Elmar <eme...@austarnet.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >Which just leaves me with that
> >pesky little "Enter Parameter Value" dialog box. Any thoughts on that?
>
> That usually means that there is something in your query in square bracke=
ts
> which Access doesn't recognize. When do you get it? Could you post the cu=
rrent
> SQL view of your query, and indicate which parameter it's asking about?
> --
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0John W. Vinson [MVP]

Hello John,

I place a breakpoint on the first line of:

Private Sub cboState_AfterUpdate()

    Me.cboLocality.RowSource =3D "SELECT tblPcode5col.fldLocality,
tblPcode5col.fldPcode, " & _
                                        "tblPcode5col.fldComments,
tblPcode5col.fldP5ID  " & _
                                "FROM tblPcode5col " & _
                                "WHERE tblPcode5col.fldState =3D " &
Me.cboState & " " & _
                                "ORDER BY tblPcode5col.fldLocality;"
    Me.cboLocality =3D Me.cboLocality.ItemData(0)

End Sub

The dialog box appears once I hit F8 on the query block. It wants the
parameter value of whatever I had selected in cboState, however, if I
put in a different state abbreviation, that state's localities will be
displayed once I open cboLocality. Does this mean the WHERE clause
gets ignored? I would find that hard to believe as I have changed the
SELECT clause since the first post and this change is reflected by
displaying 4 columns while in the cboLocality.

One more thing: what does ItemData() do? The help file is not clear to
me. Is this line needed at all? I changed the number from 0 to 1 etc.
with no apparent effect.

TIA  Elmar
0
Elmar
1/16/2010 1:13:24 AM
Assuming fldState is text data type you'd need to wrap the value of the combo
box in quotes characters like so:

WHERE tblPcode5col.fldState = """ & Me.cboState & """ " & _

A pair of contiguous quotes characters within a literal string is interpreted
as a quotes character.

The ItemData property returns the value of the control's bound column for a
particular row.  Its usually used in the case of a multi-select list box to
return the value of each selected row.  In this case the intention seems to
be to return the combo box to its first item (row zero in its list).  I don't
see any real need for this, however, so you can omit the line if you wish and
substitute:

Me.cboLocality = Null

to show it empty.

You don't actually need all this code.  You can simply set the cboLocality
control's RowSource property in its properties sheet to:

SELECT fldLocality, fldPcode, fldComments, fldP5ID 
FROM tblPcode5col 
WHERE fldState = Form!cboState 
ORDER BY fldLocality;

Note how the Form property is used to reference the current form. In
cboState's AfterUpdate event procedure you then just need two lines:

Me.cboLocality = Null
Me.cboLocality.Requery

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Elmar wrote:
>On Jan 16, 5:49 am, John W. Vinson
><jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:
>
>> >Which just leaves me with that
>> >pesky little "Enter Parameter Value" dialog box. Any thoughts on that?
>[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
>>
>>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
>
>Hello John,
>
>I place a breakpoint on the first line of:
>
>Private Sub cboState_AfterUpdate()
>
>    Me.cboLocality.RowSource = "SELECT tblPcode5col.fldLocality,
>tblPcode5col.fldPcode, " & _
>                                        "tblPcode5col.fldComments,
>tblPcode5col.fldP5ID  " & _
>                                "FROM tblPcode5col " & _
>                                "WHERE tblPcode5col.fldState = " &
>Me.cboState & " " & _
>                                "ORDER BY tblPcode5col.fldLocality;"
>    Me.cboLocality = Me.cboLocality.ItemData(0)
>
>End Sub
>
>The dialog box appears once I hit F8 on the query block. It wants the
>parameter value of whatever I had selected in cboState, however, if I
>put in a different state abbreviation, that state's localities will be
>displayed once I open cboLocality. Does this mean the WHERE clause
>gets ignored? I would find that hard to believe as I have changed the
>SELECT clause since the first post and this change is reflected by
>displaying 4 columns while in the cboLocality.
>
>One more thing: what does ItemData() do? The help file is not clear to
>me. Is this line needed at all? I changed the number from 0 to 1 etc.
>with no apparent effect.
>
>TIA  Elmar

-- 
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/201001/1

0
KenSheridan
1/16/2010 12:41:20 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Can't get a value from a querry into a forms text box
I have a main Shippin Control table, and a main Shipping Control form with description of cargo and quantity text boxes. I have a querry which is a join of tblValues and tblShipping_Control. The SQL is below SELECT Shipping_Control.DescriptionofCargo, Shipping_Control.CargoQty, tblValues.Value, ([Shipping_Control].[CargoQty]*[tblValues].[Value]) AS CommercialValue, Shipping_Control.ShippingDate, Shipping_Control.ShipTo, Shipping_Control.ShipFrom, Shipping_Control.CollectionNoteNo, Shipping_Control.PackingListNo, Shipping_Control.ShipmentID, Shipping_Control.Customer FROM Ship...

Queries?
Is it possible to make an "update query" to roll back year to date overtime hours? I have an tblhours that totals all overtime hours worked and refused in which I have ran queries to sum all of those. Once a year we have to rollback the year to date overtime hours which means we take the lowest employee, he goes to "0" and we subtract the lowest employees hours from the highest employees hours. I was trying to do this in an update query, but everything I try subtracts, for example, 10 hours from every line of overtime in the tblhours table. I know you are no...

Stored Procedure details in one query
Hi all, can anyone help in getting below information from all stored procedure from one DB we have 100 procedure in one DB of sql server 2005.instead if of manully getting info for each procedure i want all below details in one shot or one query Procedure Name : Input Parameter : Output Parameter : Called By : Calls : Dependent tables : Thanks in advance Abhi (bawejaji@gmail.com) writes: > can anyone help in getting below information from all stored > procedure > from one DB > we have 100 procedure in one DB ...

Lookup on a combo box
I have a combo box in cell C2, with facility locations in it. In another cell i want to either have an if statement if it matches the name put in an overhead rate or i could do a vlookup and have a hidden table in the sheet. Is there a way to do either of these on a combo box. What kind of combo box is it? Is it a Forms combo box or a Control Toolbox combo box? You have to do the lookup based on the combo box linked cell. The 2 types of combo boxes use the linked cell differently. A Forms combo box will return the selection *index number* to the linked cell. A Control To...

Enable Macros Dialog Box
Hello, Is there a way to not have the dialog box that asks you if you want to enable or disable macros in a word document not show when opening a document with macros. I have a form I want to send to a group and I don't want that dialog box showing when they open the document. Thanks very much for you help. Dee If I'm not mistaken, the decision to enable or disable macros in a received document is determined by the recipient , not the sender. "Dee" wrote: > Hello, > > Is there a way to not have the dialog box that asks you if you want to ...

Crosstab Query: Column Heading problem w/ Dates
running access 2k; don't know why Xtab queries seem to be SO hard to understand.... BUT... I have a REALLY simple table: contact_ID call_date 1 5/1/07 1 5/10/07 1 5/15/07 2 5/3/07 2 5/5/07 3 5/16/07 all I want is a query that produces: contact_ID 1st_call_date 2nd_call_date date3 (etc...) clearly, I need a datediff formula to create the date 1, 2 3 etc... But I can NOT get the 1st date from 1 person, to line up in the same column as the 1st date from another...

Combo Boxes in Charts
I have created a chart which includes a combo box which refers to a list of names. The problem is that the font size is too small - size 10 - and I would like to make it bigger. Have tried changing the font size of the data range for the combo box but this has no effect. The properties of the combo box let me change its size but not the font size of the list of items. Any suggestions. Thanks Shirley Munro -- Shirley Munro ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Shirley Munro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=83...

Placing an CHtmlView on a Dialog Box.
Hai All, I have created a dialogbox . On Above that I placed a Window Created from CWnd , parent of this window is my dialogbox. Now My task is placing a CHtmlView on this Window(Window Created from CWnd). Is it possible. Thanks. George. > I have created a dialogbox . On Above that I placed a Window Created > from CWnd , parent of this window is my dialogbox. > > Now My task is placing a CHtmlView on this Window(Window Created from > CWnd). Is it possible. > You can use CHTMLCtrl: http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0100/c/c0100.aspx --- Ajay ...

Main form, Tab control, subforms and a query question
Hi All, I am trying to build a main form, that will have a tab control and 2 pages each with a subform (the easy part) . I have this already, but I have 2 seperate forms and 2 query's for the tab control pages. I figured this is not the best way - if I had to make a change, I have to do it twice - I'd rather figure out how to build it to reuse them. And then I may be able to apply that to other forms still to come. What I would like to do is: Have one query, and one form as the subform for both tab pages, and have it filter based on which page it's one. So the structure I...

Consistant Box Sizes in Visio
HELP!!!!!! If you can answer this impossible question which should be an easy quick answer, mad props to your ingenious mind!! All I am trying to do in my Human Resources Organizational Chart is make all of my shapes (which are all square boxes) the SAME SIZE (at once). So far I can view the dimensions of a shape by going to the Insert--field--Geometry, etc. Or I can go to View--Size & Position window and type in the exact height and width of a box---but HOW in God's name can one select all the boxes and find a field to type in the dimensions desired, and have them ALL chan...

importing data from the query wizard
i have tried to import the data using the query wizard but all i get is SYNTAX ERROR in FROM CLAUSE. Im not doing this using visual basic so i have no idea how to correct this error. Can anyone help please? ...

How to get the info from form to query to report
I have a form that uses 5 tables for the information so I built a query to have the info all in one place. I also want to use the submit button to send the information to a report to be emailed, right now the report comes in blank. Please help I am fairly new to access and trying to build this for work. Base you report on a query. Use the form reference as criteria in the query like this --- [Forms]![YourFormName]![YourObject] [YourObject] is displaying the data from the 5 tables. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "sandyL" wrote: > I have a form that us...

Protection of check boxes in excel 2002
Hi I have a form set up in excel with check boxes, and I wish to protect the sheet but allow users to be able to select and deselect the check boxes. When I protect the sheet and then use the sheet, an error mesage lets you know the sheet is protected and read only, I have tried in format control for the check box to deselect the locked option and lock text option. Its bound to be simple but help is always welcome. Try unlocking the cells that are linked to the checkboxes. You can hide the columns/rows that contain the link (or move them to another (hidden???) worksheet. Newbeetle wrote...

How do I add a floating text box in Excel?
I have a shared workbook with several huge spreadsheets. There are certain things that other users/viewers would readily want to know without parsing to the end of the spreadsheet. How can I create a floating text box in Excel and include totals of certain cells from the same worksheet? MS has lots of templates at: http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/TemplateGallery And there's always google! Prashant wrote: > > I have a shared workbook with several huge spreadsheets. There are certain > things that other users/viewers would readily want to know without parsing to > the...

Variable Criterion for Query
I have a form, FORMA, that has a button and two text boxes. Clicking the button runs a doCmd OpenReport. The report contains a subreport which runs a query, which uses the values of the text boxes on the form for its criterion. The problem is that I now want to use the same subreport in another report with another form, FORMB. And of course at the moment it isn't working because the criteria of the query is pointing to a filed in FORMA, which isn't loaded. I can see various way around this but I'm wandering what is the slickest scaleable method. Here's m...

Business Portal
Dynamics GP v9.0 - Business Portal 3.0 Before I go to the effort of document this information....I was wondering if there is some sort of documentation available which will give me the hierachy of the "select" columns under Modifying queries in Business Portal. I am working with our sales force to developing a results viewer that will return as much information as possible for them as they transition off Dynamics to Business Portal. I have spent hours combing through the "select columns" section under "modify query" (no matter whether 'inventory' &...

Query data and formatting
I have a query on a VFP table (linked through ODBC to our sales software) to summarize the daily value of sales orders entered. I need to group it into weekly amounts and daily amounts but cannot manipulate the data in the query to finish it in a report. I have the daily values totalled by day, but cannot group it beyond that. My end result should display: Date Daily Amount MTD Amt YTD Amt Week of (date) with sub-totals Is there a query criteria formula I can use so I can keep the link to the live data? ...

does this xpath query work in .Net 2.0?
Dim strFacilitFile As String = Func_Facilit(strJobSite) Dim xTempltDoc As New Xml.XmlDocument Dim xGpDoc As New Xml.XmlDocument Dim y As Integer = 0 'Dim intNxtInstNumb As Integer = NextInstanceNumber(strJobSite) Dim intNxtInstNumb As Integer = FacilitNxtInstNum(strFacilitFile) Do Dim intGpFlag As Integer If CInt(arlsGpYN.Item(y)) = 1 Then Dim intGpYNFlag As Integer = CInt(arlsGpYN.Item(intGpFlag)) Dim strImgsPth As String = CStr(arlsTempltPath.Item(intGpYNFlag)) xTemplt...

Use Query or Macro to Creat enew Database
I need to figure out a way to create a new database from within an existing database during a process in which i am running several queries. the new database name will have a generic name like "Quarterly..." but will then be concatenated with the quarterly submittal date in a specific format (e.g., 20070601) I'm thinking i could create a query to determine the quarterly date and then concatenate with the other part of the file name, but how would i actually create a process for creating a new database (in a specified directory) from within my existing directory. any sugg...

Special Combo box
Access 2007, programming in 2003 mode. I have a table "tbl_tasks" which is the main table of my application. Several of its fields are lookups into other tables such as tbl_persons and tbl_urgencies. On one or more of my forms, I want to be able to filter list boxes via queries tied into the combo boxes. As an example, tbl_urgences consists of urgencyID urgencyText 1 High 2 Standard 3 Low I want to enable the user to filter what shows up in list boxes based on a combo box which would take its values from tables like t...

Adding a databound list box to excel ?
I need to add a databound list box to excel. I would like me to type in a cell, the contents of the listbox is from a MS Access database !, I just can't see any help in the excel help or google searches :( any help would be grateful Thanks Adrian Thompson ...

Excel Query error #2
Hi! I've created an Excel query which pulls monthly sales. The criteria fields are store, sales accounts, month and year (the first two criteria are fixed; the last two have the parameters entered when the query is run. The fields returned are store, sales sub accounts, sales amount and month. The query works fine, but it gives me all of the sales detail -- 20,000 lines -- and I just want the totals, so I clicked on the sales amount field and selected "sum of". Now I get an error: "Too few parameters. Expected 2" when I run the query. What am I doing wro...

Query or Retrieve Email Activites Problem
I'm trying to query the email activities that show under the history of an object, specifically an account. Ive had success retrieving activities that are not under the history but I can't seem to find the exact method to get the ones in the history. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Ive used the the activity.RetrieveByObject method and the query.ExecuteQuery method with no luck. Thanks Cory I have figured out what my problem was..... The activities were actually associated to a case that was associated with the account(but was still showing in the history of the account...

why does my parameter query repeat the prompt?
I have a query with three parameters. The query asks for each parameter and then repeats itself before returning the data. Probably because the query is being run more than once -- perchance, is this query the RecordSource of a subreport or subform? -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "nickaf" <nickaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F895CCAD-125C-4350-A8A0-FE469FA58DBC@microsoft.com... >I have a query with three parameters. The query asks for each parameter and > then repeats itself before returning the data. OR have you applied a filt...

Query 04-20-10
Good Morning I have table with which has difference categorys which depend on the name of the form selected. How do I get this to show up when a form is selected. Example have a form called Task Order - categories for this are Request, Issue, Quotation Acceptance. Another form is called Technical Query with categories Technical query/Resolution, Alternative Proposal, Notification of CE, Early Warning. There are a total of 5 forms and only 4 Categories. Thanks Heaps Ness -- Vanessa Nuttall Pavement Maintenance Technican You need a combo box with the rowsource type ...