Combo Box Not Working

I’m new to access but learning quickly. I’m trying to create a data base for
our “time change” items on out plant equipment. Such as;

Furnace (asset)

Clutch    (part)

Installed date   (date installed)

Replacement date    (set date in the future e.g. 6 months from install date)

I already have a table with the columns named asset, part, installed date
and replacement date. It’s called Table 1.

All dates are formatted to medium date format and input mask the same.
I also have a table with IntervalTitle, Interval and IntervalIncrement set
as follows:

IntervalTitle                   Interval
IntervalIncrement
1 week                             d                                     7
2 weeks                           d                                      14
1 month                           m                                     1
3 month                           m                                     3
6 month                           m                                     6
12 month                         m                                     12

IntervalTitle and Interval are TEXT and IntervalIncrement in Date/Time, Date
medium, input mask the same. It’s called tblDateIntervals

I have a query (called DateIntervals) to find the wanted date that the
interval is asking for. The SQL is as follows:
SELECT tblDateIntervals.IntervalTitle,
DateAdd([Interval],[IntervalIncrement],Date()) AS CalcDate
FROM tblDateIntervals
ORDER BY DateAdd([Interval],[IntervalIncrement],Date());

This works! The query shows two columns. One is called  IntervalTitle and it
shows the interval asked (1 week, 2 weeks etc…). The other is the CalcDate
that shows the correct calculated time and expresses it as medium date.

Finally to my dilemma!

I have created a form to enter the data to the above fields in the table,
they all work. Then I created a combo box to enter the calculated date to the
original first table (Table 1, Replacement Date). The combo box properties
are set as follows:
Control source       Replacement Date (from Table 1)
Format                   dd-mmm-yy
Row Source Type    Table/Query
Row Source              DateIntervals   (from the query)

Now when I try to use the form, everything works up until I try to use the
combo box to select the proper time interval (1 week, 2 weeks etc…). The time
intervals show up in the combo box when selected, however when selected, I
get an error message “The Value You Entered Isn’t Valid For This Field”
Arrrrrr……So close!!!

Any suggestions?????? Thanks in advanced

--
Jeff G
Maintenance Tech

Assuming that the combobox is a source to a field in the table, the bound
column of the combo should be the same datatype of that field that it is
based.

It sounds like you're trying to stuff a text into the date data type.

--
Steve Clark,
Former Access MVP

"Jeff G" wrote:

> I’m new to access but learning quickly. I’m trying to create a data base for
> our “time change” items on out plant equipment. Such as;
>
> Furnace (asset)
>
> Clutch    (part)
>
> Installed date   (date installed)
>
> Replacement date    (set date in the future e.g. 6 months from install date)
>
> I already have a table with the columns named asset, part, installed date
> and replacement date. It’s called Table 1.
>
> All dates are formatted to medium date format and input mask the same.
> I also have a table with IntervalTitle, Interval and IntervalIncrement set
> as follows:
>
> IntervalTitle                   Interval
> IntervalIncrement
> 1 week                             d                                     7
> 2 weeks                           d                                      14
> 1 month                           m                                     1
> 3 month                           m                                     3
> 6 month                           m                                     6
> 12 month                         m                                     12
>
> IntervalTitle and Interval are TEXT and IntervalIncrement in Date/Time, Date
> medium, input mask the same. It’s called tblDateIntervals
>
> I have a query (called DateIntervals) to find the wanted date that the
> interval is asking for. The SQL is as follows:
> SELECT tblDateIntervals.IntervalTitle,
> DateAdd([Interval],[IntervalIncrement],Date()) AS CalcDate
> FROM tblDateIntervals
> ORDER BY DateAdd([Interval],[IntervalIncrement],Date());
>
> This works! The query shows two columns. One is called  IntervalTitle and it
> shows the interval asked (1 week, 2 weeks etc…). The other is the CalcDate
> that shows the correct calculated time and expresses it as medium date.
>
> Finally to my dilemma!
>
> I have created a form to enter the data to the above fields in the table,
> they all work. Then I created a combo box to enter the calculated date to the
> original first table (Table 1, Replacement Date). The combo box properties
> are set as follows:
> Control source       Replacement Date (from Table 1)
> Format                   dd-mmm-yy
> Row Source Type    Table/Query
> Row Source              DateIntervals   (from the query)
>
> Now when I try to use the form, everything works up until I try to use the
> combo box to select the proper time interval (1 week, 2 weeks etc…). The time
> intervals show up in the combo box when selected, however when selected, I
> get an error message “The Value You Entered Isn’t Valid For This Field”
> Arrrrrr……So close!!!
>
> Any suggestions?????? Thanks in advanced
>
> --
> Jeff G
> Maintenance Tech
> Milgard Tempering
Thanks for the info. It got me looking at other possibilities. I found what
was happening. The combo box was showing the asked value (1 week, 2 weeks
etc...) the field was set to a medium date......Text into a date........wont
work. So I hid the column in the query and YEA!!!...It worked. the only thing
is that it doesn’t show up on me form as I intended (I like to see the 1
week, 2 weeks etc...) so I just put a unbound text box next to it so it acts
like a label when you use the combo box......

Once again, thank you for you insight and help.

--
Jeff G
Maintenance Tech

"Jeff G" wrote:

> I’m new to access but learning quickly. I’m trying to create a data base for
> our “time change” items on out plant equipment. Such as;
>
> Furnace (asset)
>
> Clutch    (part)
>
> Installed date   (date installed)
>
> Replacement date    (set date in the future e.g. 6 months from install date)
>
> I already have a table with the columns named asset, part, installed date
> and replacement date. It’s called Table 1.
>
> All dates are formatted to medium date format and input mask the same.
> I also have a table with IntervalTitle, Interval and IntervalIncrement set
> as follows:
>
> IntervalTitle                   Interval
> IntervalIncrement
> 1 week                             d                                     7
> 2 weeks                           d                                      14
> 1 month                           m                                     1
> 3 month                           m                                     3
> 6 month                           m                                     6
> 12 month                         m                                     12
>
> IntervalTitle and Interval are TEXT and IntervalIncrement in Date/Time, Date
> medium, input mask the same. It’s called tblDateIntervals
>
> I have a query (called DateIntervals) to find the wanted date that the
> interval is asking for. The SQL is as follows:
> SELECT tblDateIntervals.IntervalTitle,
> DateAdd([Interval],[IntervalIncrement],Date()) AS CalcDate
> FROM tblDateIntervals
> ORDER BY DateAdd([Interval],[IntervalIncrement],Date());
>
> This works! The query shows two columns. One is called  IntervalTitle and it
> shows the interval asked (1 week, 2 weeks etc…). The other is the CalcDate
> that shows the correct calculated time and expresses it as medium date.
>
> Finally to my dilemma!
>
> I have created a form to enter the data to the above fields in the table,
> they all work. Then I created a combo box to enter the calculated date to the
> original first table (Table 1, Replacement Date). The combo box properties
> are set as follows:
> Control source       Replacement Date (from Table 1)
> Format                   dd-mmm-yy
> Row Source Type    Table/Query
> Row Source              DateIntervals   (from the query)
>
> Now when I try to use the form, everything works up until I try to use the
> combo box to select the proper time interval (1 week, 2 weeks etc…). The time
> intervals show up in the combo box when selected, however when selected, I
> get an error message “The Value You Entered Isn’t Valid For This Field”
> Arrrrrr……So close!!!
>
> Any suggestions?????? Thanks in advanced
>
> --
> Jeff G
> Maintenance Tech
> Milgard Tempering

how can I refrence cell's to combo box in excel?
I want use cocbo box but i don't know how can refrence cell's to this.The don't have compelet information about this. tahnk Hi! Using the Combobox from the Forms toolbar: Combobox located in a worksheet; rightclick the combobox and select "Format control", then you can set the Input range and cell links in the Control tab. Combobox in a Userform; read http://support.microsoft.com/?id=161598 for details. If the Combobox is from the Control Toolbox, then you have to use VBA (doubleclick on the combobox in Design mode, and you will open Visual Basic Editor. Best r...

Format text box as Bulleted List as default
In AC2007 I would like to have a text box (rich text format) on my form automatically format the text that a user enters as a bulleted list when they begin typing. Currently the user needs to click the "Start a bulleted list" button on the ribbon before they begin typing. "Steve P" <Steve P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32E0219C-6D02-44AA-A292-38C2900F8F88@microsoft.com... > In AC2007 I would like to have a text box (rich text format) > on my form automatically format the text that a user enters as a > bulleted list when they...

no SCL rates IMF not working
Hello, I have installed sp2 for IMF. However in event viewer "An error occurred while loading Microsoft Exchange Intelligent Messsage Filter. The error code is 0x80004005" appears. I did as microsoft recommends and re-installed the sp2 with no change. Performance viewer shows that "total messages scanned for UCE :" is increasing. However i see no SCL rating 0-9 for none of the messages scanned. It seems that IMF is not acting at all, there is a detail i miss. and i am confused of what is wrong. thank you for any advice you give me. Savvas This may help: http://ww...

Name Format is not Working
We have a brand new install of Microsoft CRM 3.0.5300. Under the Name Format under Home...Settings...Organization Settings...System Settings...General Tab it is set to "First Name Last Name", when I change it to "Last Name, First Name" and click OK twice, the setting does not stick. When I open up the System Settings again it states "First Name Last Name" under the Name Format and it does not appear that I can change this. Has anyone else seen this before? Jack Bender You have to do this things to make changes on organization settings: first open report...

Multi Value Combo Boxes
Hello: One of the new features of Access 2007 (sometimes criticized) is the ability to create a table field as "Allow Multiple Values" using the Lookup Wizard when specifying the data type. This shows the values with a checkbox and allows the user to select multiple items (i.e. select CA, OR, WA as states in which a business resides). I was hoping to just define a table field as Text and then create the "Allow Multiple Values" when creating a combo-box on the form. The form wizard does not seem to create the same objects as when doing it in table design ...

Work Order Change History
Is there a way in RMS to show the progression of a work order that has been changed, from the original work order to the final one? Assume that a work order was entered into the system containing a variety of inventory items and services. Along the way (prior to final delivery) the work order was changed several times. New items were added, and original items were removed. Also, prices on some items were changed. What we are looking for is a history or audit trail of that work order, from start to finish. By "audit trail" I mean the ability to see the work order in each ...

Code that works on XP but not on Vista
Hi. I have this code in a switchboard form and it works perfectly in the windows xp but not on Vista. Why? I'm using Office 2003 Thanks, Marco "Marco" <Marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61CB5394-E259-4B2E-9279-5C968E516387@microsoft.com... > Hi. > > I have this code in a switchboard form and it works perfectly in the > windows > xp but not on Vista. > > Why? > > I'm using Office 2003 > > Thanks, > Marco What code is that, then? sorry. Option Compare Database Option Explicit Const conNumButtons = 8 C...

my spell check is not working for my entire document
MY spell check is not working, I have version 2003. When I go to tools and language than set language and uncheck the do not check spelling and grammar and hit ok it will check for names and only a few words. But when I go back into language the box is checked again, and I have tried this several times. I rechecked the document after I went under options to see if the box for hide spelling errors in this document is checked and is not. Please help me!! Did you select all the text in the document (Ctrl+A) before clearing the "Do not check" box? -- Suzanne S. ...

Edit box should support languages like japanese,chineese etc
Hi wht im trying to ask is.. 1. In my application, all the labels r in english only. 2.If i change the content of one text box in japanese or chineese language , [Text box value is the title for another dialog] 4.After i changed the content, i want the title to be displayed in japanese or chineese language. Note: I want only that text box to be changed ,,not the entire application.. so How can i able to support multibyte characters in MFC controls CEdit --text boxes.. Plz reply They do. You have to be in a Unicode app, and you have to have selected a Unicode font that has Chin...

Memorising User name & Password not working
Every time I wish to download email in Outlook 2002 a dialog comes up asking for the User name & password on each of my 5 email accounts. The box for memorising these items has always been checked as it has also in all my email accounts. Very time consuming. How do I eliminate it? Never had this problem with Windows ME and the details in Tools/Options/Email Accounts are identical. "Deano" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:1b5e01c49a3b $9510a320$a301280a@phx.gbl: > > Every time I wish to download email in Outlook 2002 a > dialog comes u...

Disabling Text Box Duplications in Brochure
I am using one of the brochure templates and everytime I change the top text box on the first page, it changes the text box on the third, fifth, etc. pages. Same with the second, fourth, and so on. How do I make this stop? It's making me crazy. I'm using Publisher 2002, if it matters. Thanks! Delete the text box on each page and replace it with one of your own creation. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "NewportCS" <NewportCS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96FD9E6C-6EFC-4BA6-B...

Stopping a macro based Setwarning diag box
I have created a Macro that includes a spreadsheet transfer and append. My SetWarnings is Yes. However, I noticed that when I get the dialog box indicating what I am about to do and ask if I am sure I want to run this query, I select no but the macro continues anyway. How can I get the Macro to stop running? Answered in your post 30 minutes later. Hi AB1, Sounds to me like it's time to make the move away from macros to VBA code. This is very easy to do with a little VBA code. The same thing applies for your follow-on question "SetWarning in macro". Perhaps ...

CRM Does it work?
Hello all CRM users. I have recently been told by several VARs that CRM 1.2 just flat out has too many problems. 1. CRM does not synch sometimes. 2. The Outlook client sometimes does not work correctly offline. What are the current user's thoughts of CRM 1.2 and do you like MS CRM overall and what errors have you found that you cannot get past? Thanks, Joe Luster potential CRM user I wonder if they are trying to sell you some other product? We have many customers who use CRM. We typically do not advise they use the outlook client as the primary client, we have them use the web a...

Auto compact not working in access 2002
I have just come across a rather odd error message: Over a network I have an Access 2002 front end (xx.mdb) and an Access 97 backend. if I have the front end Auto compact on close, I get this message when I quit the application: Could not use "c:\xx\xx.mdb"; file already in use Sometimes when I double click on the xx.mdb file - I also get an error that the file may be corrupt but then it starts fineanyway after I click OK. Thanks in advance The implication is that someone else is using the front-end when you're exiting it. You shouldn't be sharing front-ends. Each use...

CRM Cannot Go Online -- Button Doesn't Work
CRM Go-Onlie Button Doesn't Work . I have a client whose go-online button doesnt' work. We are running CRM 3.0 on Rollup 1 and service pack 2 with Office 2003. We do have an exchange server 2007. Thank you, Tishaa When you say the button doesn't work, do you mean that clicking on the button produces no result, or that errors occur during the Go Online process? If clicking the button produces no result, try opening Advanced Find or a new phone call record from the toolbar. If those also don't work, then check to make sure the CRM add-in is not disabled: in Outlo...

No Formulas are working!
I'm using a workbook that was setup by a different user. When I double click into ANY cell that contains a formula, the formula stops working and is then changed into text in the cell. When I try to enter a new formula (even VERY simple one's) the only thing that appears in the cell is the formula text! I have NO clue. I've made sure the autocalcuate is turned on. This is because the cell format is set on "text" and not on anything else (usual: standard") maybe you can change it for every cell: go into the menue format > Style and change this form...

Iterating the combo box and displaying the value after each change on seprate sheet.
Here i have a combo box form control, from where i will be picking the value and displaying it on other sheet. Now i am updating the sheet with combo box control, value is getting pasted on Consolidated-Report using: Worksheets("Consolidated-Report").Range("a9").Value = Me.ComboBox2.Value If now i again go back to combobox sheet and change the value, same cell is getting updated. I need to move to next row for each time the value is updated in combo box and paste the same on Consolidated-Report sheet. Note: A Combobox from the Control Toolbox has the name ComboBoxN; ...

seeing if email is working
"robert8653@att.net" <robert8653@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA2C7AD3-3DC2-4C89-A3C1-1396CF755E4E@microsoft.com... It is and you've just published your email address for all the world to see and spam. However this is not the place for any such tests, Try at: microsoft.public.test.here -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com ...

Switch text box to combo box
I have a form and subform created from the following tables:- tblRepairCategory RepairCategoryID (Primary Key - Autonumber) RepairCategory (Text) - on form main (frmCategory) tblRepairType RepairTypeID (Autonumber) RepairCategoryID (Number - Long) RepairType (Text) - on form (subfrmRepairType) BuyPrice (Currency) - on form (subfrmRepairType) SellPrice (Currency) - on form (subfrmRepairType) form objects are:- Main Form - frmCategory "txtRepairCategory" Subform - subfrmRepairType "txtRepairType" "txtBuyPric...

Tool Box to drop down tab
Hello-I want to use a drop down tab in my data base. WHen access help said go to the tool box and select from list combo or drop down, only the list and combo icons are in the tool box to drag to the field I want to use a drop down tab. Does anyone know why there is no drop down icon in my toolbox. Thanks -- Scott B There is no such thing as a drop down tab in Access. There are combo boxes which are sometimes referred to as drop down controls, and there are tab controls. There is no way to hide anything in the toolbox. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps....

Add a warning box if you remove "user" role
Business Portal security is built around "roles". There is a built-in role called "user". In Business Portal version 3.0, you can remove a user from the role called "user". However, if you do so, much of the program will automatically start to fail. Many of the queries and/or web parts do not work, even if the user is assigned other roles like "sales manager". Because of this special "user" role, the software should be changed so that if someone tries to remove a user from this "user" role, a warning/message box shoul...

Sort by Icon is not working
Hello, My company recently upgraded to Outlook 2003. I used to be able to look at my inbox and sort the emails by the Icon column (which indicates whether the message is unread, forwarded, replied to, or is an appointment, etc). Now it only sorts out the appointments from all the other messages but it won't sort the email messages by icon (unread, replied to, forwarded) indicated by the blue and purple right/left arrows. Does anyone know how to turn the sorting back on so it works the way it used to? I used to use this sorting heavily to sort thru, file and delete the thousand...

List Box search 04-28-10
I am looking to do a little bit more of a sophisticated look up. I have a form with a list box (listCOFAMNAME) a text box (txtCOFAMNAME) and a command button (cmdSEARCH). What I want to do is have the list box populate with the Company family name and company name when the user clicks on the command button after entering a text string into the text box. Ideally the query would do a like "*" & CompanyFamilyName & like "*" search so that even if there is a partial match, it would show up in the list box. I tried use the list box wizard and modify the...

(HELP)entering arabic/persian text in edit box
I created a simple Dialog based application and placed an edit box on it . Executing the program I still can't type in the editbox in arabic or persian (with the problem: showing the letters like ??? or shapes) I've studied a little about unicode or mbcs(multi byte character sets) assuming the problem is related to this topic but I dont know how to solve the problem . any comment is wellcomed (any link ,material or ...). Thanks in advance ...

Incremental Publish NOT working
i am hoping someone can help me. i use Publisher 2003 (office 2003) and although i have enabled incremental publish, anytime i make even a small change to the website, it seems to upload the whole site - www.overthetop.co.za - any ideas as to why? please! thanks! Geoff You might want to ask this in Publisher Web Design, that is where David hangs out. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign&cat=en_US_1845e149-582a-4e62-8d76-f1c90f948f44&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...