Combo box in multiple tables within a database

Hi

I created several combo boxes for my database.  There are multiple tables
within this database.

Not all combo boxes are in each table. But throughout the database, at least
two combo boxes are in each table.

When I use a combo box in the second table, no data is saved in the table
but it's in the form.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

If you are using the "lookup" data type definition in your table structure,
you have (re-)discovered why so many here in the newsgroups hold "lookup"
fields in low regard.

The field (in the table) stores one thing (the rowID) but displays something
else (the looked-up value).  This is confusing, no?!

The more common approach, and one less fraught with confusion, is to convert
those lookup fields to the data type of the underlying rowID, and only use
comboboxes in forms to do your looking-up.

Anyway, Access tables are not suitable for direct use -- they only store
data.  Access forms are designed to display (and add/edit/...) data.  Use
the forms, Luke!

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"forest8" <forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I created several combo boxes for my database.  There are multiple tables
> within this database.
>
> Not all combo boxes are in each table. But throughout the database, at
> least
> two combo boxes are in each table.
>
> When I use a combo box in the second table, no data is saved in the table
> but it's in the form.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks

0
Jeff
12/9/2009 11:16:16 PM
"forest8" <forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Hi
>
> I created several combo boxes for my database.  There are multiple tables
> within this database.
>
> Not all combo boxes are in each table. But throughout the database, at
> least
> two combo boxes are in each table.
>
> When I use a combo box in the second table, no data is saved in the table
> but it's in the form.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks

0
carlos
12/9/2009 11:44:41 PM
"forest8" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I created several combo boxes for my database.  There are multiple tables
> within this database.
>
> Not all combo boxes are in each table. But throughout the database, at least
> two combo boxes are in each table.
>
> When I use a combo box in the second table, no data is saved in the table
> but it's in the form.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Two things at least: using the misleading, misdesigned, and very limited
Lookup Wizard (see http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm for a
critique); and (apparently) using tables for data editing and viewing instead
of forms.

A table *does not* contain a combo box. A Table can have a Long Integer
number field, a link to some other table (a lookup table, if you wish to call
it that); the combo box is a display tool, not a table value.

A Combo Box on a form (the place it should be used) has several relevant
properties; its RowSource is a Query which pulls data from a table; the Bound
Column is the field in that query which will be the combo's value when the
user makes a selection; the Control Source is the field into which that value
will be stored; there are other properties which can be useful (column count,
etc.)

What are the relevant properties of your combo boxes?

--
                  John W. Vinson[MVP]

Hi Forest,

"no data is saved in the table but it's in the form."

in addition to the excellent advice given to you by Jeff and
John, I find a common cause of this problem is there is not
a valid ControlSource

Warm Regards,
Crystal
remote programming and training

http://MSAccessGurus.com

My Analyzer
.... the ultimate Data Dictionary Tool
by Crystal
http://www.AccessMVP.com/strive4peace/Dictionary

  *
    (: have an awesome day :)
  *

carlos gouveia wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> I created several combo boxes for my database.  There are multiple tables
>> within this database.
>>
>> Not all combo boxes are in each table. But throughout the database, at
>> least
>> two combo boxes are in each table.
>>
>> When I use a combo box in the second table, no data is saved in the table
>> but it's in the form.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks

0
Crystal

Dialog boxes and Font Smoothing
I have written an add-in that, under certain conditions, will display a dialog box over a slide when the presentation is running (slide show mode). Unfortunately the text on the underlying slide becomes jagged when the dialog is shown. It seems like powerpoint is no longer smoothing the fonts, as the problem is made worse at lower resolution. This happens if I use either ShowDialog() or _dialog.visible= true, and there is no code causing a slide refresh anywhere near the point the dialog is displayed. Any ideas ? ...

Multiple Routing Groups
Up to this point we have used a single routing group for our enterprise. It now appears to make more sense to create multiple routing groups, so outbound can route through local gateways, and not traverse the country needlessly. While I am researching this, are there any gotcha's or other experiences or things to be aware of when switching to multiple routing groups? tia "Tom Felts" <tfelts@mckennalong.com> wrote: >Up to this point we have used a single routing group for our enterprise. It >now appears to make more sense to create multiple routing gro...

Spin Box with Dates and Lookup
Hi, I'm trying to design a spin box function which pulls in data from monthly tabs, the month being determined by a spin box. I have monthly tabs Jan-10 to Dec-10 all containing an identical table with different data in. The user needs to be able to change the month of lookup using a spin box function but I cant get it to work properly. Thanks in anticipation. Hi, You are not very clear about your question. Anyways, try this Right click on the spin control box which you have drawn ad give the lower and upper limits are 1 and 12 respectively. In the cell link box, ...

How to combine two identically structured tables to query them
Hi, I am sure there is a way that you can have a query that effectively takes two separate tables that have the identical column layout and add them together and then perofrm a query on the combined set of data. I just can't remember how to do it. My reason for need in this is that I have a table called "SellerNumbers" that has 4 million rows of data in it and what I want to do to improve performance is archive the oldest 2 years worth of data to an identical table called "SellerNumbersArchive", however the users want to be able to occasionaly run quer...

Cannot open earlier version of access database
I'm trying to open Northwind database with MS Access 2003. The problem is that a dialog box appears prompting me to go to Database > Tools > Convert Database, however, the dialog box re-appears over a couple of times and disallows the user from doing anything within MS Access. If you are getting the Convert dialog you will need to convert the database to the version that you are working in and save it and then open it next time instead of the original file. During the convert process it will not change the original file. It will make a NEW copy for you to use. I wonder w...

Advanced find
In advance find a customer wishes to know how many of each product an account has ordered. The Order lines, Quote Lines, Invoice Lines are not available as output entities. Therefore no reporting on advanced find is avaiable. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message...

How can I put a text box in every cell?
Two questions: -How can I put a text box in every cell that I am using WITHOUT having to insert on manually every time? AND - How can I make sure that a text box inserts itself automatically into a new row whenever I add a row? Thanks! One way is to select the row with the text box and copy it to the next row. Copy and paste it several times and then select the rows and paste them as a group. "bmowell" wrote: > Two questions: > > -How can I put a text box in every cell that I am using WITHOUT having to > insert on manually every time? &g...

Pivot table #11
I asked this yesterday but I am having difficulty getting to my original post. Page 1 of this news group keeps brining me to feb 17th.... anyways this is what i asked yesterday: Is there a way I can set up a pivot table with sub categories? i.e. Type of Contact is my heading and under it I have 4 categories (phone, walk-in, etc...) Thanks. A. I got this reply: If you add Type of Contact to the row area, you should see all of the categories. Can you describe the fields in your data table, and how you'd like them to appear in the pivot table? My answer to this is: I would like...

Using a drop down box to select all results
I have a summary page which pulls data together from several sheets an displays summary statistics etc. I want to be able to use a drop down list to select particular product and only show data relating to those products - so far so good. But ..... having put in my drop down and referenced it in my formulae now cannot show the summary data for ALL products. Is there a wildcard that can be used in drop downs to select all -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could add (All) to your list of products, and check for that selection in the formula. For example: =IF(A2=...

Pulling data from multiple worksheets
I have one worksheet with a listing of client numbers and names. I would like to be able to type in a client number on another worksheet and have the client name automatically populate. Look at the Vlookup function or the combination of Index / Match. Vlookup will be a little more straight forward for a first timer but Index / Match is generally speaking a more flexible and less error prone solution. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "parthur" wrote: > I have one worksheet with a listing of client numbers and names. I would > like to be able to type in a clie...

Connecting tables
Is there any way to connect tables in Publisher similiar to the way you can connect text frames for overfill. kpappano wrote: > Is there any way to connect tables in Publisher similiar to the way you can > connect text frames for overfill. Nope. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org Is there any other way I can do it? Any suggestions? "Ed Bennett" wrote: > kpappano wrote: > > Is there any way to connect tables in Publisher similiar to the way you can > > connect text frames for overfill. > > Nope. > > -- > E...

drop down boxes #4
Hi everyone, Ok i'll outline the situation. I am trying to produce an invoice page on a system where the user can produce an invoice etc, and I am wanting to make a cell show the total cost for the accomodation. I have a drop down box for the location name and for the cost per day, and the number of days is shown in a separate cell. Is there a way to show the total cost of the accomodation in this single cell? Help needed urgently! Thanks, Andy. Andy I am not sure of what you want but from what you say, all you need is a simple formula in that cell. Say the charge per day is ...

What table....
What table does the "More addresses" section use? The "More addresses" is found on the side when you are filling out a contact. CustomerAddress Base Dave "GDaxon" <GDaxon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA8C768F-3664-4FAF-9CBA-6F6F28C8FD64@microsoft.com... > What table does the "More addresses" section use? The "More addresses" is > found on the side when you are filling out a contact. Dear, Check Customeraddressbase. I hope this will help u. Thanks, MVP- CRM/.Net mscrmexpert@gmail.com "GDaxon&qu...

Change Fore Color in text box
Hi, I have a form with a text box and a drop down box. From the drop down box I want to select a color and based on the color selected I want the text (Fore Color) in the text box to change to the color selected. The drop down box is called selectcolor and the text box is called title. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks in advance. Phillip - In the OnClick event of your drop down box, put this control: Me.title.forecolor = Me.selectcolor.column(0) This sill work if your drop-box is based on a table with the color number in the first column and the descriptio...

Multiple 2d charts in a 3d display
I'm trying to get a visual representation of a database of info regarding loan analysis using a line graph. I want the data to show line items of widely varying values, and the lines I have come out flat in some instances because the y-axis is calibrated for up to six figures for some values, but single digits for others. Is there any way to create several 2d charts, then "stack" them up on a non-contiguous z-axis? ...

Is there a way to turn off the multiple / separate windows is GP 1
Is there a way to turn off the multiple / separate windows is GP 10.0? I have several users that are confused and overwhelmed by having multiple windows open up. Is there any way to enable/disable this feature? No there is not. Also there is no plan to change the current behavior. "mdrewes" wrote: > Is there a way to turn off the multiple / separate windows is GP 10.0? I > have several users that are confused and overwhelmed by having multiple > windows open up. Is there any way to enable/disable this feature? Hence the word Windows Hence the word "windows&q...

Look up table?
I am sure this is simple, but I dont know how to achieve it I have 2 drop down lists the produce values 1-3 each and a table A B C 1 500 550 600 2 450 500 550 3 400 450 500 How do I get the value at the intersection of the row/coloum, so if the drop downs come up with 1 & b the answer should be $550 Thanks >I have 2 drop down lists the produce values 1-3 each >if the drop downs come up with 1 & b If both drop downs have selections of 1,2 3 then how can the drop down...

How do I create a command from a list box
I want to select an item in a scroll list or drop down box and by selecting a specific item in that list have excell proform a different function. For example: I have a list of numbers that each represent a discription. I want to select the number from the list and have excell paste the description for that number in a different box. I want each different number to have a different description. You could use Data|Validation and =vlookup(). Put the list in sheet2, column A. Put the description in sheet2, column B. Then if your cell is A1 (of sheet1), you can put this in B1: =if(a1=&qu...

Split Database, Can't Append to Table
I have a table to which I daily upload financial reports into one table, and run an append query to add those records not already listed in the master table. I recently split the database because of some other random conflicts we began to have once two users began to access the database. I read that splitting might help. Now I am unable to append to the master table using the append query. I get a message that there is a violoation regarding an index, primary key, or relationship. I've also tried to manually cut & paste the records from the results of the append query with n...

how multiple recipient policies work in E2K3
If I have multiple recipient policies do they all get applied or only the one with the highest priority? Can someone explain a scenario where having multiple policies are used and also how the priority works? Try the article below http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319201 -- Teo Heras MCSE, CCNA Blog: http://teoheras.blogspot.com/ "AdminKen" wrote: > If I have multiple recipient policies do they all get applied or only the > one with the highest priority? > > Can someone explain a scenario where having multiple policies are used and > also how the prior...

Can databases be merged to update data?
Recently, two employees worked on the same database at two different locations on two different workstations. After we entered data into the databases, we cannot seem to merge our information back into one database. Atleast the help files didn't provide a solution here. Can anyone direct us to the appropriate newsgroup if this isn't the site for the answer we are seeking? If you can answer our question and provide us with the information to merge our databases into one of the databases, please help. Thank you in advance. Hi Mark, Working with copies of your databases, u...

Format within a Function
I am using the "IF" function, and want to have a different format for the different values. For example, if the [logical test] is true, I want to say "Window," but if the [logical test] is false, I want to also say "Window" but with a strikethrough through it or some different format (ie, bold, underline, etc...). Is this possible? Functions can return VALUES they cannot change formats Have a look at Conditional Formats in Help and come back if you need help with that topic best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx....

Multiple records attached to one or many accounts
I am attempting to create an entity called Trading Partner that can be assigned to an account. Basically I would like to globally create these Trading Partners then assign multiple trading partners to every account. Is this possible with a many to one & one to many relationship? How would I go about setting that up? Try the Account Relationships to another Account, label the relationship Role "Trading Partner" Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "jojackovin@ontuet.com" wrote: > I am attempting to create an entity called Trading Partn...

Data table vs Axis value abbreviations
Windows 2000 Office 2000 I have a chart with the data table showing. The values go into the millions. On the axis, I'd like to use e.g. $1M instead of $1,000,000. Is there a way that I can maintain the actual value in the data table, while abbreviating the axis value? Thanks in advance for your help Rita Palazzi Senior Engineer/ FedEx Express Never mind. Someone showed me the "Display Units" on the axis format menu and I was able to do what I needed. Hope everyone has a GREAT Thanksgiving! Rita Palazzi wrote: > Windows 2000 > Office 2000 > > > I hav...

Data Access Page + Text Box + Command Button + Pivot Table
Hello, I'm trying to create a DAP tool that is a simple concept. 1. A user enters a value in the text box 2. User clicks command button 3. Command Button takes TextBox.Value and applies the value as a filter for column 1 in the pivot table. Can someone please help me with code? I have no experience with VBScript, but not too shabby with DAO, ADO, VB & VBA. Thanks players! -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...