Combing Text with Ex. Field Name to Create A New Field Name....I Think?

Hello,

I have a query that will return data from a table, and another query.
Here is my question.  This is an existing fuel database.  It runs on a
keylock system so there are keys numbered A1 to C10. The table returns
a sum of fuel based on a key (for example A1).  I have a set of fields
from another existing query labelled DIFFA1, DIFFA2, etc.  What I
would like to do is return the value for "DIFFA1" when I am returning
the information from Key A1.  I would like to set up an expression
something to the effect of:

Expr1: "DIFF" & [Key]

I did this and it returns the word "DIFFA1" when Key A1 is the key in
question.  I would like to return the Value of DIFFA1, not the word.
I wouldn't normally have set the tables up this way and will definitly
look at changing this in the future but is there a way to combine the
text with the existing field name to call on another field.  Hopefully
I've explained this clearly.  If not let me know

Thanks in advance,

John

0
J
8/29/2007 11:33:27 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

10 Replies
934 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 43

Trying to embed data in your fieldnames sounds like how you would have to do 
this ... if you were using a spreadsheet!

Post the underlying structure of your data first -- everything starts with 
the data in Access.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"J. Trucking" <ptruck@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1188430407.569283.79570@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a query that will return data from a table, and another query.
> Here is my question.  This is an existing fuel database.  It runs on a
> keylock system so there are keys numbered A1 to C10. The table returns
> a sum of fuel based on a key (for example A1).  I have a set of fields
> from another existing query labelled DIFFA1, DIFFA2, etc.  What I
> would like to do is return the value for "DIFFA1" when I am returning
> the information from Key A1.  I would like to set up an expression
> something to the effect of:
>
> Expr1: "DIFF" & [Key]
>
> I did this and it returns the word "DIFFA1" when Key A1 is the key in
> question.  I would like to return the Value of DIFFA1, not the word.
> I wouldn't normally have set the tables up this way and will definitly
> look at changing this in the future but is there a way to combine the
> text with the existing field name to call on another field.  Hopefully
> I've explained this clearly.  If not let me know
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> John
> 


0
Jeff
8/29/2007 11:36:21 PM
Hey Jeff,

The first Table is titled tblDieselConsumption
The three fields used from this table are "Operator" (text),
"Key" (text), and "Diesel" (number).
I also have a user input a date on a combo box in a form so that (if
they want), they can only show the data from a certain range.  The
output will give the operator, which key he used, and the total amount
(sum) of diesel for the given time period.
It looks like this

Operator: John
Key: A1
Diesel (in Litres): 425

The existing query (qryDieselCOmparison) is a query which calculates
the amount of diesel used this month from the recording system inside
the pump. We use this as a comparison to make sure the employees fuel
charges and the actual charges are the same.  It has a whole bunch of
expressions that return the calculated value of diesel for the given
time period (based on the same form and user input).  It is displayed
as such:

DIFFA1: 430
DIFFA2: 409
etc.

So you can see, John used card A1 and recorded 435 litres for a given
time period.  However, the recording device in the machine said John
took 430 Litres.  Unfortunetly, I cant just store the data (DIFFA1)
from the pump.  It is calculated.

So what I want to do in my summary query from the table, is simply put
the DIFFA1 result beside it.  Like I said, I can get the output:

Operator: John
Key: A1
Diesel: 425
DIFFA1: DIFFA1

So it will show the word "DIFFA1" but not the value.  BTW, I'm totally
trying to accomplish this as if I were in Excel :).

Thanks,

John

0
J
8/30/2007 12:01:55 AM
"J. Trucking" <ptruck@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:1188430407.569283.79570@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com: 

> Hello,
> 
> I have a query that will return data from a table, and another
> query. Here is my question.  This is an existing fuel database. 
> It runs on a keylock system so there are keys numbered A1 to C10.
> The table returns a sum of fuel based on a key (for example A1). 
> I have a set of fields from another existing query labelled
> DIFFA1, DIFFA2, etc.  What I would like to do is return the value
> for "DIFFA1" when I am returning the information from Key A1.  I
> would like to set up an expression something to the effect of:
> 
> Expr1: "DIFF" & [Key]
> 
> I did this and it returns the word "DIFFA1" when Key A1 is the key
> in question.  I would like to return the Value of DIFFA1, not the
> word. I wouldn't normally have set the tables up this way and will
> definitly look at changing this in the future but is there a way
> to combine the text with the existing field name to call on
> another field.  Hopefully I've explained this clearly.  If not let
> me know 
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> 
> John
> 
You would need to write some visual basic code to do this, the way 
you want. An alternative method would be to write a small query that 
contains one of the diff fields and a calculated field containing 
the word DIFFn where n is the KeyNumber, plus any othre fields, such 
as the yearMonth for the data.

Then you open the query in SQL mode, delete the semicolon (SQL 
terminator) copy the SQL to the clipboard.Add the word UNION to the 
line below the SQL and paste from the clipboard. Edit the DIFF 
number and repeat until you have all the key numbers.

The SQL would look like this.
SELECT YearMonth, "DIFF1" as keyNumber, DIFF1 as KeyValue from 
QueryName
UNION 
SELECT YearMonth, "DIFF2" as keyNumber, DIFF2 as KeyValue from 
QueryName
UNION 
SELECT YearMonth, "DIFF3" as keyNumber, DIFF3 as KeyValue from 
QueryName

Add a semicolon to terminate the SQL, save and use.

The query would look like this
200706,DIFF1,1234
200706,DIFF2,1410
200706,DIFF3,7654
200707,DIFF1,3333
200707,DIFF2,2292 
200707,DIFF3,6674





..

SELECT


-- 
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

-- 
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

0
Bob
8/30/2007 12:08:53 AM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the response. I entered in exactly what you said (in a new
query) and I get the message "Invalid SQL statement.  Expected
'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'PROCEDURE', 'SELECT', or 'UPDATE'.  I have
checked everything and cant find what I am missing.  Please let me
know what you think.

Thanks for the help,

John

0
J
8/30/2007 1:39:06 PM
Hi Bob,

You also mentioned that VBA might accomplish waht I am looking for.
Would it be pretty involved or would the code be pretty short.

Thanks

John

0
J
8/30/2007 2:56:56 PM
John

see comments in-line below...

"J. Trucking" <ptruck@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1188432115.710329.146540@q4g2000prc.googlegroups.com...
> Hey Jeff,
>
> The first Table is titled tblDieselConsumption
> The three fields used from this table are "Operator" (text),
> "Key" (text), and "Diesel" (number).
> I also have a user input a date on a combo box in a form so that (if
> they want), they can only show the data from a certain range.  The
> output will give the operator, which key he used, and the total amount
> (sum) of diesel for the given time period.

So, the user enters a date on a form... but how does your table know that 
date?  Again, it all starts with the data.  I suspect that you actually have 
more than the three fields in this table!

> It looks like this
>
> Operator: John
> Key: A1
> Diesel (in Litres): 425
>
> The existing query (qryDieselCOmparison) is a query which calculates
> the amount of diesel used this month from the recording system inside
> the pump. We use this as a comparison to make sure the employees fuel
> charges and the actual charges are the same.  It has a whole bunch of
> expressions that return the calculated value of diesel for the given
> time period (based on the same form and user input).  It is displayed
> as such:
>
> DIFFA1: 430
> DIFFA2: 409
> etc.
>
> So you can see, John used card A1 and recorded 435 litres for a given

DIFFA1 and DIFFA2 doesn't tell me that John used card A1.

Neither of these numbers is 435 -- where did that come from?

> time period.  However, the recording device in the machine said John
> took 430 Litres.  Unfortunetly, I cant just store the data (DIFFA1)
> from the pump.  It is calculated.
>
> So what I want to do in my summary query from the table, is simply put
> the DIFFA1 result beside it.  Like I said, I can get the output:
>
> Operator: John
> Key: A1
> Diesel: 425
> DIFFA1: DIFFA1
>
> So it will show the word "DIFFA1" but not the value.  BTW, I'm totally
> trying to accomplish this as if I were in Excel :).

I'm sorry!  Access is a relational database, and you will not get the best 
use of its features and functions if you feed it 'sheet data.  The learning 
curve on Access can be a bit steep.  Is there a reason you are NOT doing 
this in Excel, if that's where your experience is?

One of your options could be to use Access to store data, a query to extract 
the underlying raw data for your time period, then export the data to Excel 
for further analysis.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP



0
Jeff
8/30/2007 3:06:25 PM
Hi Jeff,

I'll try and explain the whole story.  The database is for fuel
records for a fleet of trucks.  The fuel system is a "keylock" system
so when an operator goes to the pump, they put a key in a certain hole
(there are 30 keys and theirty holes), turn the key, and fuel up their
machine.  The key is a security feature to prevent fuel theft.  The
key is linked to a meter inside the pump which will run a total as to
how much fuel that key pumps.  After each fueling, the operator will
go into the office and write down how much fuel he took, what key he
has, his name, and the date.  For example, John Doe fueled up on
August 1, 2007 with key A1 and took 400 Litres of fuel.

The meters that total the amount used by each key are behind a locked
door on the pump itself.  These are aggregate totals menaing they're
alway rising and never reset.  For example, for me to know that John
pumped 400 Litres of fuel, I would have to know the meter reading
before and after the fueling that day.  It, for example, would read
1200 litres before he fueled up, and 1600 litres after.

So here's how the operation works.  The operators write down everytime
they fuel up.  At the end of the month, we take this sheet and enter
it in the computer.  We also go out (at the end of the month) and
record the meter readings from behind the locked pump door.

We currently do this in excel but we are trying to track an abundance
of other information (maintenance, production, parts, etc.).  I have
only recently come to this business and found that this information
was stored (poorly) and was all over the server.  I am trying to
consolidate it into a user friendly database rather than have a whole
bunch of spreadsheets.  I personally like excel over access, but this
database needs to be user friendly because I wont do the data entry
(for some reason I've found that data entry personel seem to favour
the access interface over excel).  As well, I like the benefit of "one
click" reports for the managers.

So back to the fuel part.  The reason why we record the data from each
fill up and check it against the pump meters is that we have found
that fuel seems to go "missing".  We use this check to ensure that
operators are taking an acceptable amount of fuel and that they are
writing down each time they take the fuel.

I store this information in two tables.  The first is called
'tblDieselConsumption" and has the fields: IDDiesel (AutoNumber),
DateofPump (Date), UnitNumber (Text), Operator (text), Litres
(number), and Key (text).  This information is stored for each record.

I have another table which stores the 30 meter readings every month.
It is called tblDieselKeylock.  The fields are: IDKeylock
(AutoNumber), MonthNo (Text), YearNo (Text), and A1...C30
(Number...stores the numberic reading off of each meter on the pump -
A1-A10, B1-B10, C1-C10).

I only need to see the data at the end of each month.  I guess this
could also be true for any previous month.  Therefore, I created a
small form and am planning to use it to reference a query.  The form
has two combo boxes: MonthToSearch, and YearToSearch.  The form is
called frmDieselConsumptionSummary.  Any user will say to themselves
"I want to see the fuel useage from last July".  They will select
"July" and "2006" and hit OK.  A report will be generated, for all the
keys, stating (for example):

Key: A1
Operator: John Doe
Total Diesel recorded By Operator for Month: 400 Litres
Total Diesel Recorded By Pump for Month: 410 Litres

This way I would know that there is a 10 Litre difference.  Sometimes
there is a zero litre difference and other times there can be upwards
of a 400 litre difference so its important info to know.

I am trying to calculate everything through queries.  I have three of
them.  The first is qryDieselSummaryPrevious.  The query is based on
tblDieselKeylock.  I use this query to look at the Keylock Pump Meters
and find the values that the keylock had the month prior to the one
that the user is interested in (because I'm eventually gonna need to
do some subtraction).  I accomplish this by using the combo boxes on
frmDieselConsumptionSummary and subtracting one from the month that
the user is interested in (and one from the year in the case of
January). So in this query, the field I use are MonthNo (with the
condition that the only omnth pulled equals that on the user input
form), YearNo (same condition as the month), and A1-C30.  I then use
the query to pull that particular month's record and call each one
"PRE" through the use of an expression (ie) A1PRE, A2PRE, etc.

I have a second query called qryDieselSummaryDifference which is based
on tblDieselKeyLock and qryDieselSummaryPrevious. I have the fields
MonthNo and YearNo (with the same input conditions as the last query -
except the "minus one" condition for getting the previous months
data).  I then have expressions for each key that find the difference
between the currents months pump reading and the previous months
reading.  The expressions look like this: DIFFA1: [A1]-[A1PRE] where
A1 comes from tblDieselKeyLock and [A1PRE[ is from the
qryDieselSummaryPrevious.  This all works out perfect.

By doing all of that, I now know the pump meter readings for any month
that I want.  What I tried to do know is compare that to a monthly
summary of the individual records located in tblDieselConsumption. I
did this through another query (or so I thought).  I made a query
called qryDieselSummaryOverall.  I based it on tblDieselConsumption
and qryDieselSummaryDifference.  I pulled the fields: DateofPump,
Operator, Key, and Liters from tblDieselConsumption.  I worked the
DateofPump so that I only pulled the records based on the user input
from frmDieselConsumptionSummary.  I thought I could link it to the
records from qryDieselSummaryDifference to get the corresponding
"DIFF.." record.  What I did is listed above but basically I am trying
to call the "DIFF" record based on the Key showing in the Key field.

Like I said, I'm stuck.  I understand that this is probably confusing
reading this but I'm not sure how else to store the data and make it
user friendly.  I'd like to avoid using excel in this case just
because of the computer experience from the data entry person.  I
tried the union query above but it gives me the error message that I
stated above.  I thought about VBA and searched this forum on it but I
dont really know what to write in order to call a specific function.
Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks,

John

0
J
8/30/2007 4:25:46 PM
"J. Trucking" <ptruck@hotmail.com> wrote in 
news:1188485816.268158.147240@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> Hi Bob,
> 
> You also mentioned that VBA might accomplish waht I am looking for.
> Would it be pretty involved or would the code be pretty short.
> 
> Thanks
> 
> John
> 
it would be involved.


-- 
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

-- 
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

0
Bob
8/30/2007 9:15:40 PM
"J. Trucking" <ptruck@hotmail.com> wrote in 
news:1188481146.278087.315280@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> Hi Bob,
> 
> Thanks for the response. I entered in exactly what you said (in a new
> query) and I get the message "Invalid SQL statement.  Expected
> 'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'PROCEDURE', 'SELECT', or 'UPDATE'.  I have
> checked everything and cant find what I am missing.  Please let me
> know what you think.
> 
> Thanks for the help,
> 
> John
> 
The code does have SELECT statements in it. I set up the names of the 
fields based on what you implied were the field names, and I used 
queryname, becaue you never gave the real name of your query.

Other than that, I can't tell from here.


-- 
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

-- 
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

0
Bob
8/30/2007 9:20:12 PM
John

A bit more than a simple volunteer can digest...

It sounds like someone, somewhere, needs to enter both the amount written 
down by the driver for a given "Key", on a given date, plus the total amount 
on the "pump" for each key, once a month.

You can do a query that totals the "key"'s amounts for, say, the month of 
August.

You can do a query that "gets" the pump amounts, per key, say, for the month 
of August.

Since both will have the same key, you can create a third query that joins 
the two, on the "key" field, and calculates the difference.

Does that get you closer?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"J. Trucking" <ptruck@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:1188491146.017999.237210@l22g2000prc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I'll try and explain the whole story.  The database is for fuel
> records for a fleet of trucks.  The fuel system is a "keylock" system
> so when an operator goes to the pump, they put a key in a certain hole
> (there are 30 keys and theirty holes), turn the key, and fuel up their
> machine.  The key is a security feature to prevent fuel theft.  The
> key is linked to a meter inside the pump which will run a total as to
> how much fuel that key pumps.  After each fueling, the operator will
> go into the office and write down how much fuel he took, what key he
> has, his name, and the date.  For example, John Doe fueled up on
> August 1, 2007 with key A1 and took 400 Litres of fuel.
>
> The meters that total the amount used by each key are behind a locked
> door on the pump itself.  These are aggregate totals menaing they're
> alway rising and never reset.  For example, for me to know that John
> pumped 400 Litres of fuel, I would have to know the meter reading
> before and after the fueling that day.  It, for example, would read
> 1200 litres before he fueled up, and 1600 litres after.
>
> So here's how the operation works.  The operators write down everytime
> they fuel up.  At the end of the month, we take this sheet and enter
> it in the computer.  We also go out (at the end of the month) and
> record the meter readings from behind the locked pump door.
>
> We currently do this in excel but we are trying to track an abundance
> of other information (maintenance, production, parts, etc.).  I have
> only recently come to this business and found that this information
> was stored (poorly) and was all over the server.  I am trying to
> consolidate it into a user friendly database rather than have a whole
> bunch of spreadsheets.  I personally like excel over access, but this
> database needs to be user friendly because I wont do the data entry
> (for some reason I've found that data entry personel seem to favour
> the access interface over excel).  As well, I like the benefit of "one
> click" reports for the managers.
>
> So back to the fuel part.  The reason why we record the data from each
> fill up and check it against the pump meters is that we have found
> that fuel seems to go "missing".  We use this check to ensure that
> operators are taking an acceptable amount of fuel and that they are
> writing down each time they take the fuel.
>
> I store this information in two tables.  The first is called
> 'tblDieselConsumption" and has the fields: IDDiesel (AutoNumber),
> DateofPump (Date), UnitNumber (Text), Operator (text), Litres
> (number), and Key (text).  This information is stored for each record.
>
> I have another table which stores the 30 meter readings every month.
> It is called tblDieselKeylock.  The fields are: IDKeylock
> (AutoNumber), MonthNo (Text), YearNo (Text), and A1...C30
> (Number...stores the numberic reading off of each meter on the pump -
> A1-A10, B1-B10, C1-C10).
>
> I only need to see the data at the end of each month.  I guess this
> could also be true for any previous month.  Therefore, I created a
> small form and am planning to use it to reference a query.  The form
> has two combo boxes: MonthToSearch, and YearToSearch.  The form is
> called frmDieselConsumptionSummary.  Any user will say to themselves
> "I want to see the fuel useage from last July".  They will select
> "July" and "2006" and hit OK.  A report will be generated, for all the
> keys, stating (for example):
>
> Key: A1
> Operator: John Doe
> Total Diesel recorded By Operator for Month: 400 Litres
> Total Diesel Recorded By Pump for Month: 410 Litres
>
> This way I would know that there is a 10 Litre difference.  Sometimes
> there is a zero litre difference and other times there can be upwards
> of a 400 litre difference so its important info to know.
>
> I am trying to calculate everything through queries.  I have three of
> them.  The first is qryDieselSummaryPrevious.  The query is based on
> tblDieselKeylock.  I use this query to look at the Keylock Pump Meters
> and find the values that the keylock had the month prior to the one
> that the user is interested in (because I'm eventually gonna need to
> do some subtraction).  I accomplish this by using the combo boxes on
> frmDieselConsumptionSummary and subtracting one from the month that
> the user is interested in (and one from the year in the case of
> January). So in this query, the field I use are MonthNo (with the
> condition that the only omnth pulled equals that on the user input
> form), YearNo (same condition as the month), and A1-C30.  I then use
> the query to pull that particular month's record and call each one
> "PRE" through the use of an expression (ie) A1PRE, A2PRE, etc.
>
> I have a second query called qryDieselSummaryDifference which is based
> on tblDieselKeyLock and qryDieselSummaryPrevious. I have the fields
> MonthNo and YearNo (with the same input conditions as the last query -
> except the "minus one" condition for getting the previous months
> data).  I then have expressions for each key that find the difference
> between the currents months pump reading and the previous months
> reading.  The expressions look like this: DIFFA1: [A1]-[A1PRE] where
> A1 comes from tblDieselKeyLock and [A1PRE[ is from the
> qryDieselSummaryPrevious.  This all works out perfect.
>
> By doing all of that, I now know the pump meter readings for any month
> that I want.  What I tried to do know is compare that to a monthly
> summary of the individual records located in tblDieselConsumption. I
> did this through another query (or so I thought).  I made a query
> called qryDieselSummaryOverall.  I based it on tblDieselConsumption
> and qryDieselSummaryDifference.  I pulled the fields: DateofPump,
> Operator, Key, and Liters from tblDieselConsumption.  I worked the
> DateofPump so that I only pulled the records based on the user input
> from frmDieselConsumptionSummary.  I thought I could link it to the
> records from qryDieselSummaryDifference to get the corresponding
> "DIFF.." record.  What I did is listed above but basically I am trying
> to call the "DIFF" record based on the Key showing in the Key field.
>
> Like I said, I'm stuck.  I understand that this is probably confusing
> reading this but I'm not sure how else to store the data and make it
> user friendly.  I'd like to avoid using excel in this case just
> because of the computer experience from the data entry person.  I
> tried the union query above but it gives me the error message that I
> stated above.  I thought about VBA and searched this forum on it but I
> dont really know what to write in order to call a specific function.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
> 


0
Jeff
8/30/2007 11:33:41 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Word hangs when I try to edit text
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I can open documents, but when I select text to edit, try to add a return or a shift, it hangs. All I can do is force quit. It's really annoying! All the updates are up-to-date, and it worked just fine the other day. <br><br>What's going on? And how can I fix it? <br><br>Thanks! That sounds like a corrupt document. Try saving it as a web-page, then quit, re-open, and re-save as a Word document. If it hangs during the Save As, try a Maggie: The Maggie: 1. Create a ne...

calculated field 12-30-09
i have a query with the following fields: year, month, customer, debit euro, credit euro and balance (debit-credit). the query returns multible entries for each customer. e.g. customer X in November 2009 has a balance of 500 euro and December 2009 has a balance of -100 euro. i want to build a field that returns 500 euro for November and 400 euro for December. can i achieve that in a query? i also want to create another field that returns a date. in the above mentioned example: if year is 2009 and month is 11 i want to add thrre months, that is the filed should return the d...

field name or schema name?
When i adjust excel column-names to match CRM 3.0 field names, preparing for bulk-import, should i use the (label) field names in CRM 3.0, or the schema-names for example, if i made a new country field, use Country 2 or New_Country2 thanks Kas use the schema-names -- -Nick "_Kas_" wrote: > When i adjust excel column-names to match CRM 3.0 field names, preparing for > bulk-import, should i use the (label) field names in CRM 3.0, or the > schema-names > > for example, if i made a new country field, use > > Country 2 > > or > > N...

Edit named range reference
Hope you understand my terminology I have a number of named ranges that I use a formula for in the "Refers to" field. The formula is actually larger than the space allowed in this field and so the end of the formula is not visible when I want to edit it. My problem is if I want to edit this field, I cannot move to the end of the formula. The moment I start moving it inserts other cell references. Is there a quick key or function key which allows me to edit this. Hope this makes sense When you select the formula, hit F2, and you can move about the formula at will without corrupt...

caption, text box, and frame
I inserted a picture (a bitmap), cropped and sized it to fill the page from side to side, and positioned it 1.5" from the top "margin" so that it would be at the top of the text area. I then clicked on Insert Caption and got the usual panel offering "Figure 1" as its label. Instead of simply inserting a paragraph in Caption format as usual, it inserted a text box with the caption label in it. When I typed the content of the caption, the following body text reduced to a single line. Dragging the picture's anchor to a different paragraph made whole paragrap...

Need to set up a slide with 4 text boxes on same page.
Want to end up with 4 "bulleted" boxes that I can to show 4 strategies and associated task on same page. Also, if possible have each one drop in individually to allow flow conrol for the presentation Are you asking a question about how to do that or having trouble with part of that? If the former, just create four separate text boxes with bulleted text, you are not limited to only one text box per slide. Use the Custom Animation, Effects Options, Text Animation settings to control the entrance of the bullet points. Since you didn't say what version of PowerPoi...

Excel 2000: File >> New menu command causes application crash
This is occurring on only one machine on a network! After saving an emailed Excel template to a standard network location for Microsoft templates, when selecting File >> New this installation of Excel 2000 crashes ("Excel not responding" on Close program dialog). On other machines there is no problem. Have "repaired" Microsoft Office using that option from the installation CD-ROM, have removed Excel from Office installation, rebooted and reinstalled Excel. No change on the problem behaviour. Everything else appears to be working just fine in this copy of Excel. We ...

Add Text Field Columns
PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect])) I have two fields both of which are text. When I try to add them as above, I get a concatenated result, not the sum. How does one add them? -- On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:38:49 -0600, bw wrote: > PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect])) > > I have two fields both of which are text. When I try to add them as above, I get a > concatenated result, not the sum. How does one add them? How does one add "This is text." + "this is also text&qu...

how to change the icon text
To all, What event to I do to handle when my app get iconified? I Need to set the window text for my icon differently than my app title bar text. When I run my app, the window text for the app title bar is "foo", when the user iconifies the app, I want the icon text to be "bar". How do I do that? Thanks for the help, Reza Take a look at CWnd::OnSysCommand. SC_RESTORE and SC_MINIMIZE is what you want to look for in this method. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "reza razavipour" <rrazavipour@stbernard.com> wrote in message news:uK18XkXH...

Smartlist current user id field
Hi all, Is there any table I can use that will indicate the user id of the user running the particular SmartList ? For one example, I want to build a report that only shows Orders that the current user who is running the report created. That way each person who wishes to run this report does not have to enter in the criteria their own ID each time the run it... Does that make sense ? Thanks, Chris B. If you are referring to the sales order out of the box, then this isn't possible. If this report comes from a SQL View that you've written then potentially you could. However t...

Pivot Table fields #2
Is there a way to format multiple pivot table fields at one time and have them refresh that way, rather than having to select each column and choose the format options? Thanks CLou: I think the solution for you is to open the Pivot Table Toolbar and select the Field Settings icon. This sets the format for all results for that particular field. One limitation that I haven't found a way around is getting a preferred column size to "stick" and not reset after a table refresh. Bruce >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to format multiple pivot table fields at ...

diable command button based on field value
I have a command button which I would like to disable based on the following rules: If A = 1 then button is disabled If B = 2 then button is enabled Where you put the code depends on how the form works. If this needs to be checked for each record, use the form current event: If A = 1 Then Me.Button.Enabled = False ElseIf B = 2 Then Me.Button.Enabled = True End If But, what if A is not 1 and B is not 2? -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "barrynichols@gmail.com" wrote: > I have a command button which I would like to disable based on the >...

automatically sizing text with graphs
hi, is there a way to make the text in my charts size proprotionally with the graphs when i move them to another location (eg: a different sheet or chart)....I seem to have a problem with the way the graphs shrink but the text retaining their original size after i move them. -- Shoque ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Shoque's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36320 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=566948 Right-click on the axis labels and choose Format Axis. Go to the Fon...

New template
I would like to have available two types of Outlook (2003) pages for preparing out going emails. One to be blank which is the current default and a second that has my name, address and telephone along with a disclaimer (legal) on the bottom. Thanks, John You can create a message with a signature that has that information in it, then save it to your hard drive as an Outlook Template file (.OFT). That file can be opened from Windows at any time and it will look like a regular new mail message -- finish it and send it on its way. The .OFT is completely reusable. -- Jocelyn Fiorel...

how do i create a quiz using excel?
hey guys...i badly need to make a quiz using excel,,,i got no clue how to do it. the quiz will be a simple one, no drop downs and should display the scores after the quiz is taken.... please help! Andruu, What type of quiz are you looking to create? What format are the answers? Numbers? Text? One suggestion..... 1. Add questions *What is 2 x 2?* 2. Assign cells for the user to insert their answers. (format cells as text/numbers etc) *Cell: B2* 3. Either in hidden cells, or on a seperate sheet, put the correct answers 4. Assign a point value for each correct answer (can be different for ...

Creating a new document from a multiple paged Excel document
Can I save only one page of an existing Excel multiple page document? If so, how? Thanks to anyone that can take the time to answer/instruct. Right-click the sheet tab that you want, and hit Move or Copy. Choose "Create a copy" and then, from the dropdown, choose "new book". **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat Excel VBA Certification Coming Soon! www.VBAExpress.com/training/ ******************************** "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBBDECC6-2432-41D4-99F2-C1EF10B1EC1F@microsoft.com... > Can I save only one page of...

Can not create Matrix Item please Help RMS 2.0
RMS 2.0 Can not create Matrix Item please Help When trying to create any new items I receive error message This is the message (-2147217864) Row Cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been change since it was last read. Manger still creates standard items but still receives message with out this number in message -2147217864 ...

Populating combox with worksheet names
Hi I'm using the following to populate a combobox on a worksheet with the names of all the worksheets in the workbook:- Dim ws As Integer With frmMenu.cbStartUpWorksheet For ws = 1 To Sheets.Count ..AddItem Sheets(ws).Name Next End With My question is I have one worksheet that is veryhidden and I dont want it to show in the combobox. How do I do this? Cheers Use the .Visible property which list out xlSheetHidden, xlSheetVeryHidden and xlSheetVisible.... Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Dim ws As Worksheet With frmMenu.cbStartUpWorksheet For Each ws In Wor...

Creating a Word document from an ASP.NET application
Hello, I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can be used from an ASP.NET application (located on a IIS server without Office on it) to create a Word document based on a template (.dot) that is used only for the bookmarks properties (replaced momentarily with a personnal values). Best Regards, On Jun 21, 1:34=A0pm, "Bruno MAIGNAN" <bruno.maig...@ca-atlantica.fr> wrote: > Hello, > I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can= be > used from an ASP.NET application (located on a IIS server witho...

too many arguments I think
Hi, I am new to the forum and not too experienced in Excel. I wrote this argument that does a calculation if a cell in the C column is 0. IF(C10=0,H9^(B1/A1),IF(C11=0,SUM(H9:H10)^(B1/A1),IF(C12=0,SUM(H9:H11)^(B1/A1),IF(C13=0,SUM(H9:H12)^(B1/A1),IF(C14=0,SUM(H9:H13)^(B1/A1),IF(C15=0,SUM(H9:H14)^(B1/A1),IF(C16=0,SUM(H9:H15)^(B1/A1), IF(C17=0, SUM(H9:H16)^(B1/A1), IF(C18=0, sum(H9:H17)^(B1/A1), IF(C19=0, sum(H9:H18)^(B1/A1), IF(C20=0, sum(H9:H19)^(B1/A1), sum(H9:H20)^(B1/A1)))))))))))), but when it gets to C17 it gives an error, it highlights the 'sum' argument, I think I have put too ...

Visio File Summary Dialog Box is showing wrong file name and size
Hi all, I am using Visio 2003 ActiveX Control in my application using VB.NET 2005. I am calling "visCmdFileSummaryInfoDlg" Command to open File Summary Dialog Box. Dialog Box is open successfully but it always showing Template file size instead of open file size in General Tab. The information it shows is: Type: Microsoft Visio Drawing Location: Size :(928 bytes) Based on: Template - ValueStreamMap.vst Can any one let me know about any property or way so that it shows correct file size? Thanks Asif Can we assume that the new drawing has been saved to disk before you call th...

Using a Text / Data output as a cell reference
I am trying to use the end of a column as a divisor and need to convert what i guess is text into an actual cell reference if possible. In column A, say there are 13 data points ending at cell A13. I then try to turn that into a cell reference with the formula ="A"&TEXT(COUNTA(A1:A13,),"0") I put this formula in B1 the output of this is then A13 what i need this to do, is be able to divide any cell by A13. The reason I am going through all this trouble is that there are many columns and each has a different # of data points. I hope this is somewhat clear. Thanks ...

Change Default When Selecting New Message From Form
Whenever I select New -> Choose Form, it defaults to "Organizational Forms Library" (which is empty). How can I make it default to "User Templates in File System"? Thanks. I've been looking for a way to do that for years, but have never found = one. FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for Outlook forms issues = "down the hall" at microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms or, via web = interface, at = http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=3Dmicroso= ft.public.outlook.program_forms --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Con...

Opening a new record form but allowing searches
I changed the "Data Entry to Yes" to have my forms open for new records, but it seems to have disabled my ability to move from record to record or allow for searches. Is there another way that I could have set it up so that it allows for both? On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:54:06 -0800, Fallout <Fallout@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I changed the "Data Entry to Yes" to have my forms open for new records, but >it seems to have disabled my ability to move from record to record or allow >for searches. Is there another way that I could have set it up ...

Nesting? How do I create a table to reference?
Tried to nest more than 8 componets but it did not work. Any help on creating a table to reference it would be appreciated. Never done it before. Tried the Excel help, and it was worthless. Here is my original post that explains more: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=498860 -- mcr1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mcr1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15496 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498905 ok you have a two column table.starting in the lh column you...