CanShrink Works On Some Controls But Not Others

I have a receipt report (for a small clothing retail) with several items
arranged vertically, including "Subtotal", "Freight", "Monogram" (fee), and
total.

I've set the CanShrink propert of these controls, with the result that
the "Freight" control will shrink beautifully but the Monogram control
never shrinks. These two controls have identical properties except for
their positions and are both tied to Currency fields in the underlying
query.

Here's a screen shot of the report with the properties of the Monogram
control displayed.

  http://galois.digitalsignallabs.com/receipt.png

Note that both of these controls (freight and monogram) have a
corresponding label. The freight control will hide the label AND the
textbox when the textbox is zero or empty. That's exactly what I
want. However, the Monogram textbox and corresponding label NEVER HIDE,
and as far as I can tell their properties are identical (except for the
obvious things like name, position, etc) to the freight controls.

Please help! This has hung me up for _hours_. Any suggestions, hints,
solutions would be much appreciated!
--
Randy Yates                      % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
Digital Signal Labs              %             she does the things you do,

PS: I just tried setting the control source of the Monogram textbox to
the same field that the Freight textbox is, with the result being no
change in the behavior of the Monogram textbox, i.e., it remains
"unshrunk" (i.e., displayed) when the Freight textbox is shrunk. This
verifies the problem is not a difference in the underlying data.

--Randy

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

> I have a receipt report (for a small clothing retail) with several items
> arranged vertically, including "Subtotal", "Freight", "Monogram" (fee), and
> total.
>
> I've set the CanShrink propert of these controls, with the result that
> the "Freight" control will shrink beautifully but the Monogram control
> never shrinks. These two controls have identical properties except for
> their positions and are both tied to Currency fields in the underlying
> query.
>
> Here's a screen shot of the report with the properties of the Monogram
> control displayed.
>
>   http://galois.digitalsignallabs.com/receipt.png
>
> Note that both of these controls (freight and monogram) have a
> corresponding label. The freight control will hide the label AND the
> textbox when the textbox is zero or empty. That's exactly what I
> want. However, the Monogram textbox and corresponding label NEVER HIDE,
> and as far as I can tell their properties are identical (except for the
> obvious things like name, position, etc) to the freight controls.
>
> Please help! This has hung me up for _hours_. Any suggestions, hints,
> solutions would be much appreciated!

--
Randy Yates                      % "And all that I can do
Digital Signal Labs              %  is say I'm sorry,

Randy Yates wrote:
>PS: I just tried setting the control source of the Monogram textbox to
>the same field that the Freight textbox is, with the result being no
>change in the behavior of the Monogram textbox, i.e., it remains
>"unshrunk" (i.e., displayed) when the Freight textbox is shrunk. This
>verifies the problem is not a difference in the underlying data.
>
>--Randy
>
>> I have a receipt report (for a small clothing retail) with several items
>> arranged vertically, including "Subtotal", "Freight", "Monogram" (fee), and
>[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
>> Please help! This has hung me up for _hours_. Any suggestions, hints,
>> solutions would be much appreciated!

BruceM
1/11/2010 5:43:51 PM
"BruceM via AccessMonster.com" <u54429@uwe> writes:

> I see nobody else has replied, so I will say that I would try copying the
> report, then deleting all but the one misbehaving control.  Or maybe make a
> new form, and copy text boxes one at a time from the old form.  Or swap the
> positons of the two controls.  What happens if you move the Monogram control
> so that its top is aligned with the bottom of the control above?  In short,
> you will need to develop a process of elimination unless somebody recognizes
> what is going on.

Thanks much Bruce for your help. I just found the problem a little
earlier today.

I had some forgotten code in the On Format even of that footer section
that was setting the visible property to false on the older controls,
but I forgot to update that code when I added the Monogram control.

That exposes an interesting characteristic of Access, however, in the
the labels (which weren't set to not visible) did not prevent the form
from shrinking when their corresponding textboxes were not visible.

So, basically, a matter of CRS. :)

--Randy

> Randy Yates wrote:
>>PS: I just tried setting the control source of the Monogram textbox to
>>the same field that the Freight textbox is, with the result being no
>>change in the behavior of the Monogram textbox, i.e., it remains
>>"unshrunk" (i.e., displayed) when the Freight textbox is shrunk. This
>>verifies the problem is not a difference in the underlying data.
>>
>>--Randy
>>
>>> I have a receipt report (for a small clothing retail) with several items
>>> arranged vertically, including "Subtotal", "Freight", "Monogram" (fee), and
>>[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
>>> Please help! This has hung me up for _hours_. Any suggestions, hints,
>>> solutions would be much appreciated!

--
Randy Yates                      % "Bird, on the wing,
Digital Signal Labs              %   goes floating by

accessing ActiveX control enums in MFC
I have an ActiveX contol whose tlb (using OLE/COM viewer) shows // There are a couple of more of these, but this is typical example typedef enum { RF_MCS86 = 1, RF_BINARY = 2, RF_ASCII_BINARY = 3 } EROMFormat; This enum is accessed from another function from within the control as STDMETHOD Func(SAFEARRAY **Ptr, EROMFormat Fmt, Long * Retval) I have dropped the control onto my form and MFC has generated the wrappers for the methods except for the ones having SAFEARRAY arguments Now, not only does MFC not generate the function because of the familiar // method &...

autoarchive stopped working and will not restart
This in on Outlook 2003 with SP1. Autoarchive was running fine but suddenly stopped working. The archive file is located on the user's local drive. The pst is only 1.6gb. The archive option to run on just 1 folder does not work either. On both of these it appears to run by watching the task bar info but it only creates a folder in the pst. No mail is moved and none is deleted from the exchange mailbox. I have created a new pst and tested but get the same results. ...

my e-mail dose not work in office 2007
i am trying to e-mail from office 2007 i have to icon but when i click on it nothing happens do i have to activate it "glo" <glo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D3ED581-F3ED-4C6A-9048-893EC1F57761@microsoft.com... >i am trying to e-mail from office 2007 i have to icon but when i click on >it > nothing happens do i have to activate it And your email client is? -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level and the FULL contents of any error message(s) See if your mail p...

working with northwind template
I am trying to use the northwind template and need to know how to edit the data that comes with the template to put in mine. I have been able to edit the logo and name on the forms but in, for example, the inventory list- I can't delete the products listed. There are some rules about deleting data. When there is a relationship between 2 tables, any child records in the child table must be deleted before the parent records can be deleted. When you try to delete inventory transactions in northwind, you get a message telling that you can't delete because there are related...

Tree control tool tips and dialog bar
I have made a dialog bar in my application and placed a tree view control inside the dialog bar. The dialog bar can be docked or undocked. When docked, the tool tips for the tree control show up just fine. When I undock it the tool tips show up behind the dialog bar. I am attempting to emulate the tree setup much like in visual studio 6. I have everything working except this small bug. Does anybody know why the tool tip will not remain on top of the tree control? ...

how to enable a control at run time
I have a label that I disable at design time, but I would like to enable it at run time and I can't figure out to do this. I tried using showwindow, but all that does is hide the control. Z.K. Use EnableWindow: ASSERT_VALID(pMyControl); pMyControl->EnableWindow(); More here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/_mfc_cwnd.3a3a.enablewindow.asp --------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com In addition to what Ajay answered, make sure that you hook into the control with a member variable. Then you can reference all of the members functionalit...

Excel 2003 - VBA
Does anyone have and idea how to create the date of the last day of the previous month? Craig Hi Craig =Dateserial(year(date), month(date), 0) HTH. Best wishes Harald "Craig Brandt" <brandtcraig@att.net> wrote in message news:yvVxk.22131$89.8111@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com... > Does anyone have and idea how to create the date of the last day of the > previous month? > > Craig > > =TODAY()-DAY(TODAY()) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Craig Brandt" <brandtcraig@att.net> wrote in message news:yvVxk.22131$89.8111@nlpi069.nb...

Make Excel Work faster
I have a file, that is +- 200MB in size, and has +- 150 worksheets with 700 lines of formulaes in each worksheet. Problem is that when I update the one sheet where the lookup is, it takes about 10min to do the calculation. I am also running a PIV 3Ghz HT with 1gig RAM. How can I get Excel to perform faster? You could set calculation to Manual while entering the data and recalculate with F9. 10 minutes seems a bit long, but we don't know your formulas. Especially VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP are very sensitive for the 4th argument. For many tips about performance, especially lookups, check...

Problems Getting a Field to Work in a New Mail Message form
I have Outlook 2000 SR-1 using IMO (Internet Mail Only - not Exchange Server). Does anyone know of a way to make sure the From: field appears in a new mail message? For reasons too lengthy to get into, it would be very helpful for me to see the From: field (with my default email address already filled in, of course) as well as they typical To:, CC: and Subject: fields when composing a new email. I did try to create a new form (Tools >Forms >Design a Form >Message) but when I used it, the default email address did not appear. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Sangrateo SangrateoATanonymo...

Exchange 2003/SP2 cant get SPF working
I am trying to test SPF in SP2 I have defined my SPF policy to reject mail that fails an SPF check I have a test domain that I have deliberately configured the SPF field to claim mail will only be generated from the wrong host. I have defined the SPF policy to reject mail that fails the SPF check and then gone to the default Virtual SMTP server (the only one defined) and turned on SPF filter for that connection. I stopped & started the SMTP server. I then use that domain to send a mail to the Exchange server (single server - ie not a front/back end setup). The mail should have ...

edit control inside a toolbar
hi all, how can an edit control be incorporated inside the toolbar. any sample code / suggestions ? nagendra. nagendra singh wrote: > > hi all, > > how can an edit control be incorporated inside the > toolbar. any sample code / suggestions ? > > nagendra. This code makes a space for the edit control then creates an edit control in that space. POSITION is the index of a separator in the toolbar, WIDTH is the edit width in pixels. m_ToolBar.SetButtonInfo(POSITION, 0, TBBS_SEPARATOR, WIDTH+2); CRect rect; m_ToolBar.GetItemRect(POSITION, &rect); rect.DeflateRect(...

Business Portal ?
I am researching BP/WSS and am particular concerned about what fundamental pieces we need in place, and how to accomplish this within our given network. I've seen several replies from James (hushdontspamme@Hotmail.com) that were telling. For example, James asked if the WSS database was on the same SQL instance as GP in one post. I would really like to have a conversation with James or others who are savvy and experienced with BP. Please e- mail me at stan@mapmls.com. Thanks, Stan Hi Please contact me via email, i will be happy to assist you: Regards James <stan@map...

WSHShell.SendKeys "{F5}"
I've been trying with every sample script I can find on the Net, but the double clicking the VBS just flashes the hourglass and then nothing. All these scripts can't be wrong. It just simply doesn't refresh the desktop. I'm doing the Outlook desktop icon thing and if this doesn't work i'm going to have to create the less desirable shortcut to .exe because if the icon isn't visible immediately then there's no point. Is there an .EXE utility, or some additional line in the VBS I need to add? I've tried two scripts that utilize the sendkeys fun...

This 1 weird tip works for flattening the belly 65767
www.fantastic-body.com Some of my greatest progress in life has come by listening to my elders. Wisdom often comes with age. Well in this case, fatloss wisdom comes with really, really... REALLY old age. I'm talking Fred Flintstone-age. But once I saw how it works, it made perfect sense to try it myself... .... and what do you know? Flatter stomach; less bodyfat; and better muscle tone. Even sleep improves. All from this 1 tip. There's a presentation you need to see: http://www.everyotherdaydiet.com/go/goodshape <-- Click-Here That will tell y...

Anti-spam with end-user control in mailbox
Newly joined a company and we're going to be upgrading our entire infrastructure to AD/Exchange 2003 from 2000, with Win XP and Mac OS X clients. While we're at it I'd like to replace an old and oddly scripted anti-spam solution that is flaky and difficult to support. The current model delivers a spam notification message to the user for each spam message addressed to them. This message, delivered to their inbox, includes a link to release the message, delete it, or whitelist the sender (essentially sends a reply with specific keywords and triggers a script for the action). While...

Need a Key Finder that actually works
Hi All, I have been testing a utility called Key Finder. It is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...) back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...). Only one problem: it always gets them wrong. Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets the key numbers correct? Many thanks, -T On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 21:33:41 -0700, ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote: >Hi All, > >I have been testing a utility called Key Finder. It >is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...) >back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...). Only o...

MS chart control for VC++9 03-13-10
I am trying to use MSchart control in my Visual C++9, However, the MS chart control in not available in activex list!. I ve downloaded the MS chart control for APS. Net but I couldnt use it with my VC++ programs. Is there any clue? thanks On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:50:52 -0800, Azed <user@msgroups.net/> wrote: >I am trying to use MSchart control in my Visual C++9, However, the MS chart control in not available in activex list!. I ve downloaded the MS chart control for APS. Net but I couldnt use it with my VC++ programs. >Is there any clue? >thanks > >--- >frmsrcur...

how do I exit working offline I use outlook
mike <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: <nothing> Ask in the body of the message, not the subject. Click File and uncheck Work Offline. -- Brian Tillman ...

XPrint Control on Outlook 2003
I've been using XPrint Control to print a custom form on Outlook 2003. I also had other delegates using it on Outlook 2000 without problems. I just upgraded the delegates to Outlook 2003 and now the XPrint control does not work for them, but it still works for me. Any help is greatly appreciated. Jeff The XPrint control is supported only on Outlook 2000. If it works for = you on 2003, great, but I wouldn't expect it to stay functional.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microso...

Conditional Formatting Not Working Consistently
One of our Excel users is applying conditional formatting on cells within a worksheet that are linked to other worksheets in the same file and he is getting inconsistent results i.e., sometimes it applies the formatting and other times it won't. He seems to have the problem primarily when he selects a range within a column and then applies the conditional formatting. The conditional formatting statement applied to cell C5 is: Formula is =$B$5-$C$5=0 then format as red and bold. He is concerned about the ability to rely on this feature working properly. Since he is our Accounting Man...

Sending via SSL is not working with Outlook 2003
Hy, I'm working with two systems and two Outlook-Versions. System one with Outlook XP, System 2 with Outlook 2003. Both systems use *identical* account informations. Both are able to retrieve mails via SSL form the mailserver. Only Outlook XP is able to send mails through SMTP via SSL. Outlook 2003 fails with error 0x800ccc7d. (I know, this error means, that Outlook thinks the mailserver is not able to use SSL.) The mailserver has a selfsigned certificate. I guess, this causes the bug. (Maybe the popup window hangs?) Is there a fix available? Benjamin Outlook 2003 does not sh...

CSocket, CSocketFile, CArchive... Does it really work?
I've been experimenting with the setup of Windows Sockets using the aforementioned classes. The way Microsoft describes setting up is listed here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_Windows_Sockets.3a_.Sequence_of_Operations.asp I have setup my program the way Microsoft describes and I can send data, and it is received in the CSocket buffer for the receive socket; however when I try to extract the Data through the CArchive object (which is attached to the CSocketFile which is attached to the CSocket) using the overloaded >> op...

Common Controls and Image Lists
Hello, Let's assume we have the following code: CImageList il; /* code to create the image list and add icons ommited */ m_treectrl.SetImageList(&il, TVSIL_NORMAL); il.Detach(); At this point, you've attached the underlying IMAGELIST object to the tree control. When the control is destroyed, does it automatically deallocate the *underlying* IMAGELIST object, or do I need to do something like this: CImageList *pIl = m_treectrl.GetImageList(TVSIL_NORMAL); if(pIl) pIl->DeleteImageList(); Thanks, -n "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrot...

Chase Direct Access Not Working
My understanding from these newsgroups is that direct banking services should still work after the Microsoft subscription end. I have Chase "Direct Access." I have removed the LiveID from my Money Plus file. When I attempt to set up services for Chase Direct Access, at the "downloading information about your financial institution" stage, I get the message: "Online updates are no longer available for this version of Money. To extend your online services go to Online Services Information and click Extend Services, or you can update this account by entering the ...