Call for opinions on Visual Source Safe with Access 2007

I am at a point where I think that a solution like Visual Source Safe
may make sense for my mult-developer environment. I did dabble with it
back in the late 90's and found that it often resulted in corruption
and other issues. (Damned if I can remember any specifics.)

In any case, I am looking for any feedback on the current state of
this product from actual users.  I am expecting migrate to Acc2007
soon and think it might be a good time to put the project under better
source control. I am most interested in what limitations and/or
problems you may have encountered as users and with which version of
source safe.

Details on encountered issues will be helpful but if you want to weigh
in with a summary judgment  I will appreciate that as well.

Thanks!
0
techrat
3/4/2010 4:04:29 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Well i can't say i'm optimistic about it. We tried one project with access
2007 and our database got corrupted a few times. Because it was an important
project we stopped the project in VSS. Asking around we heard that VSS does
work well with Visual Studio but somehow it doesn't collaborate as well with
Access as one would hoped it would.

Bare in mind that i only used it once with my team on this one particular
project and i don't think it's fair to go on my judgement alone on this one.
Give it a shot and see what others think of it. I love the idea and with VS
it has proven it can do the job.

Just my 2 cts.
--
Maurice Ausum

"techrat" <jmyer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am at a point where I think that a solution like Visual Source Safe
> may make sense for my mult-developer environment. I did dabble with it
> back in the late 90's and found that it often resulted in corruption
> and other issues. (Damned if I can remember any specifics.)
>
> In any case, I am looking for any feedback on the current state of
> this product from actual users.  I am expecting migrate to Acc2007
> soon and think it might be a good time to put the project under better
> source control. I am most interested in what limitations and/or
> problems you may have encountered as users and with which version of
> source safe.
>
> Details on encountered issues will be helpful but if you want to weigh
> in with a summary judgment  I will appreciate that as well.

I've used Visual SourceSafe for all my Access development since the
integration was first available (maybe Access 97 or XP?). I've been using it
for a year and a half with Access 2007 and have not had any problems. I
wouldn't consider developing without source code control anymore, even as a
one-person development shop. It's just too convenient to a) be able to look
back in time and see what changed b) share code among databases with
automatic updates and c) rebuild any database from scratch at any time.

But SourceSafe is pretty much a dead product, and it has indeed been
reported to be a bit less than completely stable. I have not experienced any
corruption, although there were some issues with moving databases back and
forth between Access 2003 and 2007. Microsoft's source code control is now
focused on Visual Studio's Team Foundation Server, which I understand to be
compatible with Access source code integration. I haven't used it so I can't
give any opinions, although I will probably switch when the Visual Studio
2010 version is released in a month or two. There are 3rd party source code
control applications that are compatible with SourceSafe, and therefore with
Access, but I haven't tried any of those either. In spite of its mediocre
reputation, SourceSafe has worked great for me for many years.

0
Paul
3/5/2010 1:17:54 AM
"techrat" <jmyer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am at a point where I think that a solution like Visual Source Safe
> may make sense for my mult-developer environment. I did dabble with it
> back in the late 90's and found that it often resulted in corruption
> and other issues. (Damned if I can remember any specifics.)
>
> In any case, I am looking for any feedback on the current state of
> this product from actual users.  I am expecting migrate to Acc2007
> soon and think it might be a good time to put the project under better
> source control. I am most interested in what limitations and/or
> problems you may have encountered as users and with which version of
> source safe.
>
> Details on encountered issues will be helpful but if you want to weigh
> in with a summary judgment  I will appreciate that as well.
>
> Thanks!

0
De

how to active the ribbon Tab automatically when the form opens[Access 2007]
Dear I built a ribbon tab for a form. It works fine and when the form opening, the ribbon will be loaded fine. But it would be focus (or active) automatically. It still focus in the tab where I set now. Please help.!!urgent.!! Another question: is the callbacks for the ribbon always in Modules? I remember in Access 2003, the callbacks function could be in the form class modules. If all the callbacks should be in the Modules, does it mean we need distinguish which form or report is active now? Thank you very much. Jason Jiang Hi Ribbon is the new command bar system in office 2007...

Excel 2003 VB referencing #N/A not working but works in Excel 2007
I have a very simple macro that works in Excel 2007 but hangs up constantly in Excel 2003. Does anyone have a work around? Problem: When referencing cells that have a #N/A value, Excel 2003 craps out even if I use the ISNA application function before it. The following 2 statements will cause Excel 2003 VB to stop regardless of order if the cell that is referenced comes up with #N/A. Series = Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, SeriesCol).Value If WorksheetFunction.IsNA(Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, ColNum)) Then Further background.... I am actually wanting to find #...

Printing postcards from publisher 2007
I have given up on duplexing my postcards with mail merge. I made two separate publications and printed the addresses on one side of the cards. Got that to work. Now I'm trying to print the four pages to the one sheet 8 1/2 x 11. It now prints all four copies, minimized into the upper left 1/4 of the paper. How do I get the program to print my postcards full size? Look at my answer in your earlier post. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Judy Gross" <JudyGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A6D1429-44B0-47A8-ABEB-0C84C2F749F4@microsoft....

2007 Outlook & Word as editor
Just upgraded to Office 2007 (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Pt ) Windows XP Some user was having random trouble with a yellow font on received and sent e-mails and after a search in outlook general quest answered, tried various fixes. We are watching now to see if OK. Some answers mentioned the editor, so this leads to my question: what does it mean it uses Word as editor? Just Spelling, auto-correct, spacing? What else does Outlook use Word for? Thanks for your time if you use Office 2007, the point is moot for the most part - there is only one editor available when the...

File in 2007 form
I was trying the Beta Office 2007 and made the mistake of saving one of you Excel file in the new 2007 form. I really need it back in the 2003 form. Problem: due to a variety of issues, I de-installed the Beta version and went back to 2003 but for got about the one file.. So; are there any utilities that anyone knows of the will convert this file back two 2003 form?? It is a simple Excel file, meaning that there are no clever or fancy formula or macros, just a collection of parts and part numbers gathered over MUCH time surfing various web sites. Any help or advise (beside the obvious....

Signature format changes in replies with Outlook 2007
Hi We are using Outlook 2007 and are finding that our signatures will sometimes change font and spacing in reply messages. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks ...

looking for template for tracking cash calls or invoices
Just looking for an exel spreadsheet to track invoices or cash calls. ...

Calling ReadFile after DeviceIOControl (Unexpected Results)
Hi folks, I'm using "LPT1" via CreateFile for Overlapped communications. I use WaitSingleObject and then GetOverlapped Result to collect ReadFile results. All that code, including overlapped WriteFile's work great and have been for years. However, now I need to get the BUSY state of the port. It appears the only way to do this in the context of Win32 is via: DeviceIOControl(Handle, IOCTL_PAR_QUERY_INFORMATION, Nil, 0, @status, SizeOf(status), @OVERLAPPED); This call works great, repeated adnausem and yields the proper results every time, in realtime....

"Remove access" to certain accounts in CRM 4.0
Is there a way in CRM 4.0 to remove access from specific accounts for specific users? Accounts they would otherwise have access to? I'm only talking about a very specific subset of the regular accounts in the business unit for which the person resides. Anyone have any experience with that? The simplest way is to move this accounts "VIP accounts?" into another business unit and set the access rights accordingly. Or you can use the team approach. Regards, Robert "Adam Pinilla" wrote: > Is there a way in CRM 4.0 to remove access from specific accounts for...

MS Access Table missing
Guys, I'm looking at a database (Access2003) someone sent me and I see a Query, something like SELECT * FROM [Table 1] The problem is that there is no [Table 1] in table list, query list. In fact, there is no such object with the structure that I see when I open that original Query a=in design mode. The query opens and shows data.... Any thoughts? Few more observations: looks like this DB was converted before with errors; thiis DB uses linked tables Thanks! Dima. Assuming that this isn't a split database (do any forms show up?) with the tables in a separate...

Access 2003 Security Message On Open
All, I have approximately 15 databases that I am about to migrate to Access 2003 from 2000. I do not want the security message to appear every time one of my users logs on to the database. Registry changes and digital signatures are out of the question. If I put Application.AutomationSecurity = msoAutomationSecurityLow on open of my start up form will this prevent the warning message? Is there something I can put in the windows shortcut to turn this off? I have seen some suggestions were it is mentioned to call a script that calls the database to open in low security mode. Is this nec...

implementation of call back in Driver
i want to implement timer in driver and call particular function in application can u plz tell me , thanks suhas ...

Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 crashes when downloading email
I have tried everything to try and figure out why Outlook is crashing. I ran sfc, I reinstalled XP SP3, IE 8, Outlook 2007 and as a last try installed Outlook 2010. I tried new email profiles and I ran a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malaware but nothing! This thing is driving me crazy! I don't want to do a reinstall of XP as I would rather spend the time on Windows 7 in a few months down the road when I spec out some hardware. Is there anything left to try???? What's logged to the Event Viewer about this? Also see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/...

Creating a table into another Access database
Is there a VBA command or SQL statement for me to run a Make Table Query to create a table in another Access database? I would like to distribute several access databases to different groups with tables populated with data specific to the group. I don't want to create the tables in the main database and transfer the table, because there's many tables and it would probalby exceed the 2gb limit of MS Access. SELECT * FROM INTO [;Database=C:\Folder\File.mdb].Table1 FROM MyTable -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "anon" ...

Access 2007 and windows 7 12-25-09
Under windows xp and vista. I was using a batch file to compact a database, now under windows 7 it does not work I get an error. EXAMPLE: "c:\Consulting Tracking Program\Consulting Tracking.accdb" /compact Now I get a message box saying that was a problem sending the command to the program. Thanks for the help OD "OD" wrote: > Under windows xp and vista. I was using a batch file to compact a database, > now under windows 7 it does not work I get an error. > > EXAMPLE: > > "c:\Consulting Tracking Program\Consulting Tra...

allow folders in access
It's pretty common to have logical groupings of queries, reports and so on. It would be great if Access provided a grouping mechanism - via named folders or something similar - within the object management panes. For example, if I'm creating a report - MyReport - that has several subreports - MySubreport1, MySubreport2 and MySharedSubreportA - I could set things up in the Reports pane like this: - MyReportFolder [folder] MyReport [rpt obj] MySubreport1 [rpt obj] MySubreport2 [rpt obj] - MySharedSubreports [folder] MySharedSubreportA [rpt obj] Two things to note: ...

replicas de access
como puedo quitar las replicas de access -- "Por mi raza hablara el espiritu" If you mean 'removing' the replications features... you can start with http://www.trigeminal.com/lang/1033/utility.asp?ItemID=7#7 (note that the site is multilingual). Vanderghast, Access MVP "victor kingobol" <dvarich@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:289D68ED-F580-47C1-83B2-1743917FC6A6@microsoft.com... > como puedo quitar las replicas de access > -- > "Por mi raza hablara el espiritu" ...

Microsoft Outlook Web access #3
I use this to pull office emails at home. Up until Tuesday, this worked fine. Wednesday I was unable to get any new mail(said nothing to view) even though Wednesday is the one day I know there will be early morning mail as it it the day I get a newsletter. I had downloaded something on my office computer on Tuesday, so I uninstalled. When I got home, same thing . This time the response was a error symbol in lower left. Since I have Windows XP, I did a restore to Monday. Still nothing. I am still getting nothing to view or the error symbol with no additional information. Any ...

Any reason CurrentDb.TableDefs(0).Connect returns empty sting in Access 2007?
I use the function below to return the server or database name for various uses. However, now that we've switched to 2007 the line CurrentDb.TableDefs(0).Connect which used to return the connection string is returning an empty string. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeremy Function GetConnectionProperty(ServerOrDatabase As String) As String ' Returns name of connected server if "Server" passed in. ' Retuns name of connected Database if "Database" passed in. Dim sConnectionString As String Dim aConnectionPieces() As String Dim sConnectionPiece As String Dim i As ...

Clicking Macros or Visual Basic Editor crashes Outlook
Hello, I am running Office 2003 on a HP computer with Windows Media Center XP. Every time I click on Tools/Macro/Macros, or Tools/Macro/Visual Basic Editor; Outlook completely crashes. There is no specific error message, and the contents of the data file that is sent to Microsoft will not copy to a text file so I can post it for help. I can click Tools/Macro/Security option just fine. I have the security set to Medium. The same options in Word and Excel work fine, bringing up the Visual Basic editor and a Macro list. I have tried "Detect and Repair" and it tells me ever...

Excel 2007 stalling when WiFi on
This has been getting worse and now it is completely unusable! I can't find anything on the 'net other than an unresolved issue (in MS support discussion) where '07 is waay slower than '03! With the WiFi button turned on, clicking on a cell first gets no reaction, clicking more brings on the blue circle, another click brings on the white cast to the whole screen. 'Escape' does not work. Task Manager can remove the program but the results are the same when reopened. I have updated Vista, Office, BIOS and reloaded the Bluetooth driver to no affect. I ha...

How to access macros via tool buttons?
Excel v2007 When using v2003, I had many macros In my Personal.xls, which I accessed via custom tool buttons on many custom toolbars that I built. I now have version 2007, which includes my old Personal.xls with all my macros, but I want the easy access to those macros I used to have. Being the tool ribbon is a different system, what is now the strategy for fast button-clickable launching of macros? Are buttons built, menus, what? [I already know about the Quick Access Toolbar, but I have over a hundred macros I previously had divided onto several toolbars that I'd hide and s...

Converting to Exchange 2007 -Best Way to Preserve Existing Outlook Rules?
We have Outlook 2003 users who currently have POP3 accounts to a third-party e-mail provider. Some of our users have hundreds of rules in Outlook. We are about to go live with our Exchange 2007 system. What is the best way to preserve each user's rules when they are converted to an Exchange account? I know the rules can be exported but we found that when they are imported they default to client-side only rules. We want server rules to apply and client-side rules to be available. We found that it takes several clicks on each rule to get it to be a server-side rule. Is there an easier w...

Opening Access Database file
I am trying to open my access database file on my home computer but i get a message that i will not be able to make changes to it. Is there a way to work around it. By the way i had been using this file with GeoMedia. If any wizard can guide me in the right direction i will be thankful to him or her. Thanks, NED I'm not sure what GeoMedia is, but if you copied the file to your PC from elsewhere, the read-only attribute may be set. Try this ... Using either 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer', navigate to the folder that contains your MDB. Right-click the MDB and...

Accessing Document in SDI
How do I access the document from the main frame in an SDI application? GetActiveDocument: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/cdc4chb3.aspx --- Ajay ...