Calculating entries in a group

I have a database that lists all applicants, and I have a report that sorts
them according to which Institution they are attending. How can I have the
report display the number of applicants that are attending each Institution.
For example , Four applicants from Harvard, 10 Applicants from Columbia, ect.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Use this query ---
SELECT YourTable.[Institution], Count(YourTable.[Institution]) AS
[CountOfInstitution]
FROM YourTable
GROUP BY YourTable.[Institution];

--
KARL DEWEY
Build a little - Test a little

"amandap83" wrote:

> I have a database that lists all applicants, and I have a report that sorts
> them according to which Institution they are attending. How can I have the
> report display the number of applicants that are attending each Institution.
> For example , Four applicants from Harvard, 10 Applicants from Columbia, ect.
Presumably the report already has a group level on the Institution field set
via the Sorting and Grouping dialogue in report design view.  If this does
not already have a group footer then give it one via the dialogue.  In the
group footer add a text box with a ControlSource property:

=Count(*)

You can alternatively use a group header if you prefer.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"amandap83" wrote:

> I have a database that lists all applicants, and I have a report that sorts
> them according to which Institution they are attending. How can I have the
> report display the number of applicants that are attending each Institution.
> For example , Four applicants from Harvard, 10 Applicants from Columbia, ect.

Distribution Groups #5
For each department we have a distribution group with a e-mail address. Each member of the group have an e-mail address with a mailbox. At the clients, We use outlook with pop3 accounts. With this configuration, when a user sends a e-mail, it was like the group has sent the e-mail, so when it was responsed, the e-mail arrive to every member of the group. Now, we want to migrate to Exchange accounts, but the configuration doesn�t work well. When a user sends a e-mail, the address is his address, so when the one who receives the e-mail answers, it only arrive to that user�s mailbox. Any ideas ...

Top 3 within a group
I have a table of student ID's (numeric) courses and marks such as shown in this example: ID Course Mark 123456 Math 11 80 123456 English 11 82 123456 Socials 11 75 123456 Science 11 92 123456 Geog 11 84 123456 Physics 11 70 234567 Math 12 65 234567 English 12 71 234567 Chem 12 60 234567 Geog 12 88 234567 Phys 12 70 I want to produce a list that shows the top 3 courses for each student such as ID Course Ma...

Weird
Hi, there. I found it is really weird - My system is Windows 2003 & Exchange 3003. I created 2 group, one is universal security group, another is universal distribution group, and both of them have Email address. But only the security group can receive the external Emails, the distribution group doesn't, it can only receive the internal Emails. Any one can help me to figure it out? Thanks! Have you confirmed that the Distribution group has a valid email address? Do you receive any NDRs or can you track inbound messages using Message Tracking? Nue "jackie.chen" <ja...

Data Entry Formula based on IF or something Better
Hi All, I have a situation where I need to fill Column B with Text Depending on what Text is in Column A eg Column A Column B 1 GREAPPLES GREEN Products 2 PEARSGREEN GREEN Products 3 GreenGarbage GREEN Products In other words I would be using GRE as the condition in Col A for a product to classed as GREEN Products I would be grateful if someone can point me in the right direction. Thank you Edwin This works for the *one* example you gave. =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Gre",A1)),"Green Products","&...

ACT Groups
We are currently converting ACT data to CRM and need to know how to handle the groups in ACT in CRM. We have 47 different groups setup, and the records could be part of 1 or more groups. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Tara Sifuentes, CCDA, CCNA What does a group in ACT represent? "Tara Sifuentes" <Tara Sifuentes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EA273A4-ABB1-4087-BEE7-DD0C55FC3B12@microsoft.com... > We are currently converting ACT data to CRM and need to know how to handle > the groups in ACT in CRM. We have 47 different groups se...

Shade group headings
Outlook 2010 has been disabled with Shade group headers. Is there any other way of activating or adding this piece of code? This was one cool feature and not sure why MS removed it. Anyone can help answer this? I'm with you on this and filed it as a request quite some time ago (long before any preview release) but it doesn't look like the feature will make it there upon release. You can use the Send a Smile/Frown feature of the Office 2010 BETA to submit your feedback. Make sure you motivate your request in how it can help you and others if they were to (re-)introduce t...

How do you delete a user, or modify the groups that a user is assigned to?
I finally got my license key and I added my 5 users, but I found that I had the wrong list and they now want me to drop a couple of users and replace them and change the roles of some of the other users. All I see under User Manager is the ability to add a user. I do not see an option to delete a user or change a user's roles. Bill Walter Frank, Thanks. Is this type information in the documentation if I just dig hard enough or is this more of an indication of the completeness of a version 1.0 product? Bill Walter "Frank Lee" <frank@workopia.com> wrote in message news...

How do you print multiple journal entries.
I want to use Outlook to record meetings with contacts. I would like to use journal entries to record the meetings, but I need to be able to print them out all at once, to individually. ...

Microsoft Dynamics users groups meetings
Would like a montly or quarterly meeting of users to share information and continue to learn the product and all of its modules. Are there any users groups meeting now? I am in Seattle, WA. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Busin...

resizing in groups
Is there a way to define a aspect ratio to lower all shapes at the same %? Cause it gets so massy after a while to contol all sizes etc :( visio seems to lack some imagination :) I try to group all shapes and resize them, then the links(lines) stays at the same size, which makes them flow out of shapes etc:( p.s.: I am using a BPMN Stencil(v1.1) On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 09:59:01 -0800, mns <mns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to define a aspect ratio to lower all shapes at the same %? >Cause it gets so massy after a while to contol all sizes etc :(...

Calculated field showing extended qty's on SOP invoice
In GP9, is it possible to use a calculated field in Report Writer to show extended item qty's on the SOP blank invoice form? What I need is a field that equals 'Qty Invoiced" * "UOM'. My company needs the qty to be displayed as this - for ex: "2 (qty inv'd) * 480/case (UOM) = 960 (each). I'm sure someone has already solved this issue. Please respond. Thank you, Patti hello - I think i answered my own question. When I changed the field I was using in the calculated field from 'UOM' to 'Qty in Base UOM' - the calculation worked! T...

Calculating a field based on what is in another column
Hi everyone, I have a 3 column spreadsheet. Amount Frequency Weekly$ (Calculated) 1200 F 600 i.e. divides it by 2 if F 100 W 5200 i.e. times it by weeks in year 5200 Y 100 ie divides it by weeks in year As you can see, I want the Weekly$ amt to be calculated based on whether the Frequency is W (Weekly), F (Fortnightly) or Y (Yearly). any ideas as to what to do ? cheers, Adam Assuming your data is in columns A and B, one way: =A1*INDEX({0.5,100,0.01},1,MATCH(B1,{...

calculated field in new line sometimes gives an error
Strange... I have a form in datasheet view with 5 numerik fields. I added an extra calculated field to sum the 5 numerik fields. This all goes ok. The 5 fields have a default value of 0, so the "new line" row contains 5 zero's with are summed as 0. When entering a new line, the "new" new line that instantly appears gives an error on the calculated field (#Error). This does NOT always happen. Sometimes it does, sometimes it calculates 0 ???????? What might be causing this? -- Patrick Patrick, Sounds like you have a null in there from time to time....

Making Grouped texts bigger...
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if it was at all possible to enlarge something with the use of text boxes. i.e - if you have an A5 size layout with different text boxes and contents is it at all possbile to make it into an A4 size, but have the text boxes and contents cover the A4 like it did with the A4? i guess it would be enlarging the document and have all the contents enlarge with the paper size, i have tried grouping and dragging, but this doesn't work. any comments suggestions welcomed Thanks heaps patchie Patch wrote: > Hi Everyone, > > I was wondering if it was at...

Calculating the difference between two times
I need to calculate the difference between two times. I do not have a problem when going from 12:00am to 11:59am. I also figured out how to calculate the differnce between 12:00am to 11:59pm. How do you calculate the difference between two times when it goes over two days. For instance from 10:00am (10/03) to 1:00am (10/04). That is 15 hours, but I cannot get that answer. Also, the dates are not important, I just need to be able to calculate that as 15:00 hours. With the start time in A1 (10:00 AM) and the end time in A2 (01:00 AM) use =MOD(A2-A1,1) Regards, Peo Sjoblom &...

Data and Color calculations
I need to find a way to get total for a particular name. I work in a vineyard and we want to track how many of each vine we have. we have our rows and blocks of vines in a spread sheet. I now have to sort by name then count how many of each vine we have. I also assign the vines a color based on when they will be harvested. Can excel do the above type of calculation based on sum or total of a particular color Thanks so much for any help Ron redwards(at)ap.net Hi Ron, Try something like this modified to suit your ranges. Does not count Conditional Formatting colors. Dave McRitchie has a...

Calculations based on 4 possible text strings?
I have this formula that goes into E2 in the first line: =IF(C2<>"",IF(D2="PST+GST",SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.13),"")) which works if the text string PST+GST is found in D2. But I don't know how to branch out from there. There are 4 possible answers to go into D2 which will affect outcome of E2. They are, and I'll list them all including the PST+GST case above: if D2 = text string "PST+GST", E2 = SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.13) if D2 = text string "PST", E2 = SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.06) if D2 = text string "GST", E2 = SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.06) [c...

creating a calculator
Excel 2003 I have two lists of parts, each with a different price. I want to be able to enter a part number add it to another part number and get the total cost. It needs to be brief and not overly complex and invlove filtering etc. The guys in the workshop want to just type in the two part numbers and have the final cost invloved diplayed. It sounds easy but I'm no expert using excel so all help would be appreciated Thanks Let's say you have a table in A:B, with column A listing all your part numbers and column B listing prices. If C2 is your first p/n, and C3 i...

Macro to calculate exponential decay
I'm using Excel 2007. I need a custom exponential decay function for a worksheet. The parameters are Y0, H, and X. It will return Y. The formula is Y = 1 + (Y0-1) * EXP((-LN(2)/H)*X) EXP is the standard exponential function (e^x). LN is the natural logarithm. I'd like to call the new function ExpWt(Y0,H,X). I just need it to be available to this worksheet (or workbook), but may want to move it to someplace where it can be used by any workbook. Thanks Pegs. Copy to Module (ALT + F11, Insert Module) and use as normal. e.g. =expwt(B3,b4,b5) Public Function ExpWt(ByRef YO, ByRef...

Your administrator has disabled this command through group policy
Office 2007 in Options / Advanced / Display. The show this number of Recent Documents is greyed out and has an information bubble which states:- “Your administrator has disabled this command through group policy” I am the administrator and I have no idea how I managed to turn this off. Or what and where group policy is Can anyone tell me how I can turn this back on please? ...

BOND CALCULATIONS & GRAPHING
I am looking for a template that would graph price vs. time for corporate or municipal bond. This graph would show the amortization o a premium for bonds purchased above PAR and would show the accrual o original issue discount for OID bonds purchased below PAR. An optional call features or mandatory put features would be considered i the calculations. Chuckles12 -- Chuckles12 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Chuckles123's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1494 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/show...

Excel combinations from groups
I have the following problem with excel. I have a varied amount of groups of names and each group contains a different amount of names. I need excel to list all the possible combinations from each group. The combination size also varies. EG Group 1 Group 2 Group 3 Dave Fred Janet Harry Bob Selina Jim jane Jo The group sizes vary and the amount of group vary. I need excel to make various combinations eg In a "2" combination Dave can go with Fred or Janet. Fr...

HowCanIselectAtextBoxIf theExcelFileIs saved in (group) format?
File is saved in Excel 2007 format. When I move the cursor over the text box the cursor turns into a circle with one slash running thru it. ...

add calculating totals
I have a single table data base for inputing expenses I have two fields start and stop mileage I have a query to give mileage driven but how do add this calculation on a report All I get is invalid statement same query does pull other values do I have to have a separate query thanks Please provide some details. Maybe your query's SQL view, your control sources, and what you really want to display in your report. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Stephen" wrote: > I have a single table data base for inputing expenses > > I have two fields start and stop mi...

Public Calendars not in Calendars Group
RE: Outlook 2007, Exchange 2007 I have Outlook 2007 and I have three of our company's public calendars in my "Calendar">"Other Calendars" group in outlook. I cannot get these calendars to display in a coworker's Outlook 2007. Her version of outlook is the same, and we both have professional. Her copy is an Upgrade from 2000, and mine was a full install. I can see the calendars in her outlook folder list, I've tried "add to favorites", and I've tried dragging and dropping, but none of these methods work. Pleae help! Thank...