Calculate Time Using Minutes and Seconds Only

I am trying to calculate a race time using just Mins and Secs to give the
overall  race time . How can I format my fields to show only mins and secs
without Access trying to convert to Hour Mins and secs when the mins are 60
or more.

Val@AGIS
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:21:06 -0700, Val@AGIS
<ValAGIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am trying to calculate a race time using just Mins and Secs to give the
>overall  race time . How can I format my fields to show only mins and secs
>without Access trying to convert to Hour Mins and secs when the mins are 60
>or more.
>
>Val@AGIS

Access Date/Time fields are designed for storing a specific point in time, and
not really suitable for storing durations. For something like a race time, I'd
really suggest storing it in a Number field storing the total seconds (which
you can derive using DateDiff("s", [starttime], [endtime]) if you have fields
for those points).

If you only want accuracy to the nearest second, you can use Long Integer
(default) numbers; if sub-second accuracy is needed use a Double.

To display a racetime in minutes and seconds use an expression like

[racetime] \ 60 & Format([racetime] - 60*([racetime] \ 60), ":00")

Use ":00.00" as the format for hundredths of a second.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Time Zone chagnes in 2003
I have read some articles about changing your time zone without effecting the times of appointments by exporting and reimporting, but all these KB's seem to apply to previous versions. Is this still the only way to accomplish this in 2003? And if so what will I loose if I do this (any effect on reoccurrence, linked contacts, categories, labels, locations, show time as, and all day events)? Or does anyone know of any way to do this easier (with a 3rd part app perhaps)? Thank you! it works for all versions. AFAIK, you won't loose anything, but you can try it with a few to see ...

Formula calculating fulltime/parttime vs employees.
I have a spreadsheet listing employees jobs in one column. Another column lists if they are full time or part time. There are several employees with the same job but work different times. I need a formula to calculate how many people with that title work full time and how many people with the same job work part time. A pivot table will do a very nice job for you. They are very powerful once you get to know them. Take a look at Chip Pearson's site for a tutorial on them: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm -- Regards, Fred "VP" <VP@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Are you using Budget feature?
Hello guys, are you using Budget un Money? what for? what would you like changed/improved in it? thanks, Vadim Rapp Not much. It's too broken and limited by insistence that scheduled items must be in budget. Most of its problems stem from trying to make that work well. I'd use it more for comparing actuals to budget and doing variance analysis. If all Advanced budget allowed me to do was set category budgets by arbitrary time period as average values or discrete values and then support all the variance reporting, I'd be happy as a clam. I don't need Budget Groups--...

Custom dat & time code
Does anyone know if it's possible write a custom cell-format code that=20 would look like the one Excel provides (mm/dd hh:mm AM/PM) but sets the=20 time in red? I've tried "mm/dd [RED]hh:mm AM/PM," but whenever I save = it,=20 Excel moves the red bracket to the beginning of the code so the whole = thing=20 is red. Help! Any ideas? I don't think you can. You can't format formulas like this (character by character). And you can't format numbers this way, either. (Anyway, I couldn't do it.) Wuddus wrote: > > Does anyone know if it's possible ...

Expression for Percentage Calculations Based Upon Subsets of Field
How do you create an expression that will calculate a percentage based upon subsets of two fields? For example, one field is "Status" (there are three options), the other is "Resolved" (populated with a "Yes" in the appropriate cells that correspond to those "Status" entries that are resolved. I must calculate the percentage of "Resolved" entries for each status classification based upon the total number of each status classification. I have created parameter queries that appropriately identify the number of matching records for each S...

In Excel: is there a way of inserting the current time (what time it is right NOW)
This would help me save time Everytime I take a pill (medication) I jot down the time. In Word, it is easy. You just select Insert-->Date/Time & then select the current time (without auto-update) Is there an equivalent command in Excel? In Excel I have time-sheets for work. I jot down the time it is when I arrive at work/uni etc. It would be useful if I could just click a button and it would insert the current time. (I know it's not hard to just type in 9:05am, but anything that saves time is a bonus!) Control semi-colon inserts the date. Control shift colon inserts the t...

Embedded PDF object in web page: OneNote is launching and opening PDFs at the same time as Adobe Reader
I have a Windows 2008 Server machine with Office 2007, Adobe Reader 9, and IE8 installed. When opening a web page with an embedded PDF control (using <object> tag and Adobe Reader's CLASSID) in IE8, the PDF appears properly in the Adobe PDF control embedded in the web page, but at the same time, OneNote launches separately and opens the same PDF. How do we stop OneNote from doing this? We have XP Pro machines with Office 2007, Reader 9, IE8 that do not exhibit this behavior. -- Paul -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > I have a Windows 2008 Serv...

Time formatting issues
I am nearly finished working on my latest project, a data entry GUI in VBA (2003), and have run into difficulties dealing with time values. Brief project background: It is a simple data entry form which takes various bits of flight data and enters them onto a spreadsheet. The key entries I'm having trouble with are 'Time' values. Two fields are automatically populated with the appropriate 'Departure' and 'Arrival' times based on a 'ListIndex' run during initialization, which allows values for the 'Flight Numbers'. An 'If...Then' stat...

setting iteration calculation options
I use iterated calculations often in my worksheets. I keep turning the option ON but it keeps turning itself OFF so I get a error/warning message every time a open a sheet with circular references. How can I make the option stay ON? Thanks Nick Nick, When a workbook is stored, the state of Iteration (on/off) is stored with that workbook. When the first workbook is opened, Iteration is set to that stored in that workbook. Any additional workbooks opened do not change the state of Iteration. It remains as set by the first workbook. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizo...

Problem using SaveAs method
Hi, I'm running a perl script which uses Win 32 OLE package for Excel operations. The script does some processing and populates a spreadsheet, after which it uses the 'SaveAs' method to save it as xls in the same folder in which the tool runs. This used to work fine until recently I upgraded from MS Office 2003 to MS Office 2007 version 12.0.6524.5003. Now, the script does not produce any xlsx file at all. I tried the same on another machine running Excel 2007 version 12.0.4518.1014, and surprisingly it generated the xlsx. Is this some known issue with this ver...

Don't know what functions to use....
Hi...the end result that I am trying to accomplish is to list the names of my employees that I have scheduled for each day. A1 holds their names B1 thru O1 hold the times that they should come in to work. In another sheet I am trying to see if they work on "Monday" in B1 of schedules sheet and if they are working I want it to pull the name from A1. I need this to list the names of the people that are working. Schedule Sheet Mon Tue Wed ....... Tom Am Pm Steve Am Lisa Pm Pm Fred Am Am Pm ....... List Sheet MonAm MonPm TueAm TuePm WedAm WedPm Tom Lisa Steve Tom Lis...

File size limit when using Move-item cmdlet?
Greetings all, Quick question. Is there a file size limitation when using the Move-item cmdlet? Given the example below, it works great for smaller files (approx 7 MB) but not for larger files (approx 8 GB). There exists 3 files in the $SRC_DIR. MHSPHP_0326.bak (approx 7 MB) PRJ_PHINFO_LT_0628.bak (approx 8 GB) PRJ_PHINFO_LT_backup_201006301100.bak (approx 8 GB) Issuing the following commands in Powershell 1.0 PS C:\> $SRC_DIR = "D:\DB Backups\AQDEV\PRJ_PHINFO_LT" PS C:\> $DEST_DIR = "\\windcsrv\Backup\dbarchives\PRJ_PHINFO_LT" PS C:\> Get...

Highlighting text using conditional formatting
Hi All I'm trying to highlight certain text in a list - namely all text that end with river, stream or creek. I've been trying to use conditional formatting but for some reason I can't seem to get it to go (I would have thought * wildcard would have done the trick but no such luck). Ideally you would have a different colour for rivers, creeks and streams. The list is like this Grey River Brash Creek Fred Stream Hell Stream Roger River Turd Creek and so on (about 3000 entries) Any ideas about how you can do this? Feedback appreciated. Thanks Mike Try this... Select the text ...

Field values used to filter a report
I have a report that is based upon a query that filters the data in a variety of ways. The net result is a listing of Zip Codes that I ultimately use as a part of the data for a report. The contents of this report is limited to the Zip Codes from the query. (Not a true filter) I need to be able to print this list of zip codes in a comma seperated list in the report header. I am sure this can be easily accomplished but for the life of me I cannot figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. There are 2 parts to your question: a) How to provide an interface ...

Can Publisher file be used in Powerpoint slide show?
Can Publisher file be used in Powerpoint slide show If you save the Publisher pages as images you probably can. Maybe some copy/paste. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mike Di Giorgio" <Mike Di Giorgio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17EEA1E7-18D5-40A2-89A7-BF2017323C4D@microsoft.com... > Can Publisher file be used in Powerpoint slide show ...

problem using pst files with Exchange 2003 Standard
Hi, I am having problem using old Pst files when installing new Exchage 2003 Server. Every one in my organization worked in POP3 with pst files , (Outlook 2000/XP) without any difficults. Now, After I have installed Exchange 2003 Standard Edition, and I moved their old emails trough the pst files into the new Exchange Mailbox, I am having Problem reading those mails. I have moved them using the Outlook Drug and Drop feature or even Import/Export Sometimes. Now, those emails are there, but I just can`t use them. They are become unavailable (Gray Color). Please, help find a solution for th...

using macro to save a file produces runtime error 4198
I upgraded from Win-XP/Office 2003 to Win-7/Office 2007; the code below ran fine in Word 2003 but in Word 2007 generates runtime error 4198. The variables and directory location are valid. The parameters for FileName are updated for Word 2007; the grammer for the FileName appears correct (no grammer errors when macro runs as is, but grammer errors if I change the string.) When I substitute an actual file name in place of the variables, the code runs w/o error, but the Debug.Print statements generate correct strings. I feel kind of dumb- but what is different about use of variab...

SBS2008 - Activesync
Just put a whole bunch of users onto SBS2008 today and configured their mobiles. They really *hate* that their mobile handsets are locking after a short period of inactivity. Is it down to this policy setting ? Activesync - Maximum inactivity time lock 15mins They either want this lengthening considerably or want it disabling altogether. They want to choose when they want to lock their phones. What's the score regards this ? They want it to work the same as it did on their old SBS2003 server. Jim wrote: > Just put a whole bunch of users onto SBS2008 toda...

Formula to calculate interest only on a short term loan?
I am not familiar with Excel 2007 and need to calculate a bridge loan MONTHLY INTEREST ONLY scenario, with a fixed %rate, for a range of 1 -6 months. Not sure if if interest accrues daily or monthly. Assuming you have an annual interest rate, a month's interest is: =Principal*IntRate/12 This may be good enough for your purposes. Most financial institutions would calculate the interest based on the number of days in the month, so something like: =Principal*IntRate/365*day(eomonth(a1,0)) Regards, Fred. "Excel2007Help" <Excel2007Help@discussions.microsoft.c...

Outlook and Offline Folders using IMAP #2
I'm running Outlook 2007. It seams to support the IMAP protocol reasonably well. However, I can't figure out how to move messages between folders when I'm offline (it gives an error message saying I can't, see below). This same operation works fine in MS Windows Mail (the equivalent of Outlook Express that ships with Windows Vista) and Mozilla Thunderbird. It's clearly not a limitation of IMAP. I can download messages and read and delete them when I'm offline. I just can't move them between folders unless I'm online. Since Outlook synchronizes any change...

creating opportunity on custom web page using CRM API
Hi All, I have an aspx form that uses the CRM API to create an opportunity into the crm application from a website. I set the usual text fields. The default compulsory fields are Topic and Poential Customer. When I enter an existing Account name ie, 'John Smith' in the Potential Customer field and submit the form, it comes up with an error: SOAP Server Application Faulted 80040216An unexpected error occurred.Object Type was not provided on attribute 'customerid'D:\crm\Build\3297\src\platform\include\OMCommon\CrmPropertyBagUtil.inl457 Source: System.Web.Services I beleive th...

Use the same cell from many worksheets to create a chart?
I have a new worksheet for each day, labeled with the date. I want to pull data from the same cell (like "P-3") in each worksheet and put it into a chart. Example: On ten worksheets, pull the data from cell P-3 (arbitrarily called "income"). Then, put that P-3 data into a chart that tracks daily income: the date itself (taken from the worksheet name) plus the data. Any idea how to do this? You need to create a summary region on a worksheet, and use this as the data source for your chart. See this page for more details: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Char...

Setting the Startup Options for an Access 2007 database using VBA
Afternoon everyone, I'm trying to use the information from an MSDN page of roughly the same title (Setting Startup Options Programmatically in Access 2000, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140020(office.10).aspx) to setup the startup options of my database. Firstly, I don't know whether this option should be placed in a module or event (like Form_Load). Secondly, I'm not too sure that I have the code correctly written down: Private Sub Form_Load() Dim dbs As CurrentProject Set dbs = Application.CurrentProject dbs.Properties....

Changing database used with ODBC link
I have a excel spreadsheet containing many (we're talking thousand here!) of cells which look-up information via an ODBC link to our SQ Server database. This database has recently changed, so I need to mak every one of these queries point to a new database in the system Unfortunately the name of the database appears to be hardcoded in t each query. I have tried in vain to do a search and replace in a tex editor on the spreadsheet, but as I feared once I have done this th spreadsheet no longer opens. Is there any way to globally update the queries used? I don't fanc manually updating e...

calculation 02-08-08
I have a graduate student database that tracks courses and requirements. A foreign language requirement needs to be fulfilled 2 years after they start their graduate program. Start dates are tracked as follows: 200701 = Fall, 2007 200702 = Winter, 2008 200703 = Spring 2008 200704 = Summer 2008 200801 = Fall 2008, etc. etc. How can I get a text box to automatically calculate the due date for the language requirement? I.e. if they started their program in 200701, their language needs to be fulfilled by 200901. This would be trivial if the columns were atomic. You would just add 1 to ...