Browse for Folder (and set default folder)

I am using this code to browse for a folder (just folders no files) in
Access 2007.
It works great, I just want one extra feature:
- to supply a starting folder

I found one example on stephen lebans site
http://www.lebans.com/callbackbrowser.htm
but it required the code to exist in the code behind the form.
I use this on about 10 forms so would prefer something that I could place in
just one module.

Does anyone have a better solution?
Thanks in advance,
Mark

--------------------------------
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private Type BROWSEINFO
  hOwner As Long
  pidlRoot As Long
  pszDisplayName As String
  lpszTitle As String
  ulFlags As Long
  lpfn As Long
  lParam As Long
  iImage As Long
End Type

Private Declare Function SHGetPathFromIDList Lib "shell32.dll" Alias _
            "SHGetPathFromIDListA" (ByVal pidl As Long, _
            ByVal pszPath As String) As Long

Private Declare Function SHBrowseForFolder Lib "shell32.dll" Alias _
            "SHBrowseForFolderA" (lpBrowseInfo As BROWSEINFO) _
            As Long

Private Const BIF_RETURNONLYFSDIRS = &H1
Private Const BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE = &H40

Public Function BrowseFolder(szDialogTitle As String) As String
  Dim X As Long, bi As BROWSEINFO, dwIList As Long
  Dim szPath As String, wPos As Integer

    With bi
        .hOwner = hWndAccessApp
        .lpszTitle = szDialogTitle
        .ulFlags = BIF_RETURNONLYFSDIRS + BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE
    End With

    dwIList = SHBrowseForFolder(bi)
    szPath = Space$(512)
    X = SHGetPathFromIDList(ByVal dwIList, ByVal szPath)

    If X Then
        wPos = InStr(szPath, Chr(0))
        BrowseFolder = Left$(szPath, wPos - 1)
    Else
        BrowseFolder = vbNullString
    End If
End Function

Mark Andrews
RPT Software
http://www.rptsoftware.com
http://www.donationmanagementsoftware.com

0
Mark
5/14/2010 4:52:03 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi,

I would solve this with a Public Function in an extra module. Something like
this

Public Function DefaultPath() As String
Const strDefaultpath As String = "C:\Program Files"
DefaultPath = strDefaultpath
End Function

You can use this like this:
Debug.Print DefaultPath

Jörn
What?

I'm looking for a way to supply a default folder to the  Browse For Folder
dialog when using it from VBA code.

Example: A form has a field with a folder path, when clicking on a button
the "Browse For Folder" dialog box displays and by default
starts at the folder path I supply (based on this field on the form).

Stephan Lebans code does exactly what I want I just don't like all the
warnings about using it certain ways or the program will crash.
Also don't like that the code must exist in the form class module instead of
a normal module.

Mark

"Jörn Bosse" <JrnBosse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would solve this with a Public Function in an extra module. Something
> like
> this
>
> Public Function DefaultPath() As String
> Const strDefaultpath As String = "C:\Program Files"
> DefaultPath = strDefaultpath
> End Function
>
> You can use this like this:
> Debug.Print DefaultPath
>
> Jörn

0
Mark
5/14/2010 6:33:18 PM
On Fri, 14 May 2010 14:33:18 -0400, "Mark Andrews"
<mandrews___NOSPAM___@rptsoftware.com> wrote:

You wrote:
Also don't like that the code must exist in the form class module
instead of a normal module.

I ask: why not? Aren't class modules full citizens in the Access
world?

That said, there certainly is a way to set a default folder. Check
this out:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb774065%28VS.85%29.aspx

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>What?
>
>I'm looking for a way to supply a default folder to the  Browse For Folder
>dialog when using it from VBA code.
>
>Example: A form has a field with a folder path, when clicking on a button
>the "Browse For Folder" dialog box displays and by default
>starts at the folder path I supply (based on this field on the form).
>
>Stephan Lebans code does exactly what I want I just don't like all the
>warnings about using it certain ways or the program will crash.
>Also don't like that the code must exist in the form class module instead of
>a normal module.
>
>Mark
>
>"J�rn Bosse" <JrnBosse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would solve this with a Public Function in an extra module. Something
>> like
>> this
>>
>> Public Function DefaultPath() As String
>> Const strDefaultpath As String = "C:\Program Files"
>> DefaultPath = strDefaultpath
>> End Function
>>
>> You can use this like this:
>> Debug.Print DefaultPath
>>
>> J�rn
0
Tom
5/15/2010 4:09:25 AM
Tom,

Thanks for the info.  I think I found two ways to do it:
- the way you pointed out which you pass the root folder (however the
downside is you lose the ability to browse around, you can only browse from
that root folder down)  However this way is supported.
- Stephan lebans code (which does exactly what I want, shows entire tree but
navigates to folder passed in)
However downsides are that you need to duplicate code and put it in every
form in which you want this functionality otherwise your program will crash.
It looked like this was done about 7 years ago, so basically just wondered
if any newer better ways were possible?

I just didn't want to duplicate code in 10 forms and try not to use code
that might cause crashes.

If you know of any betters ways let me know,
Thanks for your help,
Mark

"Tom van Stiphout" <tom7744.no.spam@cox.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 May 2010 14:33:18 -0400, "Mark Andrews"
> <mandrews___NOSPAM___@rptsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> You wrote:
> Also don't like that the code must exist in the form class module
> instead of a normal module.
>
> I ask: why not? Aren't class modules full citizens in the Access
> world?
>
> That said, there certainly is a way to set a default folder. Check
> this out:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb774065%28VS.85%29.aspx
>
> -Tom.
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

>>What?
>>
>>I'm looking for a way to supply a default folder to the  Browse For Folder
>>dialog when using it from VBA code.
>>
>>Example: A form has a field with a folder path, when clicking on a button
>>the "Browse For Folder" dialog box displays and by default
>>starts at the folder path I supply (based on this field on the form).
>>
>>Stephan Lebans code does exactly what I want I just don't like all the
>>warnings about using it certain ways or the program will crash.
>>Also don't like that the code must exist in the form class module instead
>>of
>>a normal module.
>>
>>Mark
>>
>>"J�rn Bosse" <JrnBosse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would solve this with a Public Function in an extra module. Something
>>> like
>>> this
>>>
>>> Public Function DefaultPath() As String
>>> Const strDefaultpath As String = "C:\Program Files"
>>> DefaultPath = strDefaultpath
>>> End Function
>>>
>>> You can use this like this:
>>> Debug.Print DefaultPath
>>>
>>> J�rn

0
Mark
5/15/2010 12:33:22 PM
On Sat, 15 May 2010 08:33:22 -0400, "Mark Andrews"
<mandrews___NOSPAM___@rptsoftware.com> wrote:

One option would be to check with Wayne Phillips at
everythingaccess.com. He might be able to provide a safe solution
along the lines of this article:
http://www.everythingaccess.com/tutorials.asp?ID=A-new-method-for-disabling-the-Mouse-Scroll-Wheel-in-Access-forms

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>Tom,
>
>Thanks for the info.  I think I found two ways to do it:
>- the way you pointed out which you pass the root folder (however the
>downside is you lose the ability to browse around, you can only browse from
>that root folder down)  However this way is supported.
>- Stephan lebans code (which does exactly what I want, shows entire tree but
>navigates to folder passed in)
>However downsides are that you need to duplicate code and put it in every
>form in which you want this functionality otherwise your program will crash.
>It looked like this was done about 7 years ago, so basically just wondered
>if any newer better ways were possible?
>
>I just didn't want to duplicate code in 10 forms and try not to use code
>that might cause crashes.
>
>If you know of any betters ways let me know,
>Thanks for your help,
>Mark
>
>"Tom van Stiphout" <tom7744.no.spam@cox.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 14 May 2010 14:33:18 -0400, "Mark Andrews"
>> <mandrews___NOSPAM___@rptsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>> You wrote:
>> Also don't like that the code must exist in the form class module
>> instead of a normal module.
>>
>> I ask: why not? Aren't class modules full citizens in the Access
>> world?
>>
>> That said, there certainly is a way to set a default folder. Check
>> this out:
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb774065%28VS.85%29.aspx
>>
>> -Tom.
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>

>>>What?
>>>
>>>I'm looking for a way to supply a default folder to the  Browse For Folder
>>>dialog when using it from VBA code.
>>>
>>>Example: A form has a field with a folder path, when clicking on a button
>>>the "Browse For Folder" dialog box displays and by default
>>>starts at the folder path I supply (based on this field on the form).
>>>
>>>Stephan Lebans code does exactly what I want I just don't like all the
>>>warnings about using it certain ways or the program will crash.
>>>Also don't like that the code must exist in the form class module instead
>>>of
>>>a normal module.
>>>
>>>Mark
>>>
>>>"J�rn Bosse" <JrnBosse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Tom
5/15/2010 1:27:21 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the info.  If I can't get it solved perhaps I'll use this advice
and contact Wayne.

Appreciate the help,

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 08:33:22 -0400, "Mark Andrews"
> <mandrews___NOSPAM___@rptsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> One option would be to check with Wayne Phillips at
> everythingaccess.com. He might be able to provide a safe solution
> along the lines of this article:
> http://www.everythingaccess.com/tutorials.asp?ID=A-new-method-for-disabling-the-Mouse-Scroll-Wheel-in-Access-forms
>
> -Tom.
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

>>Tom,
>>
>>Thanks for the info.  I think I found two ways to do it:
>>- the way you pointed out which you pass the root folder (however the
>>downside is you lose the ability to browse around, you can only browse
>>from
>>that root folder down)  However this way is supported.
>>- Stephan lebans code (which does exactly what I want, shows entire tree
>>but
>>navigates to folder passed in)
>>However downsides are that you need to duplicate code and put it in every
>>form in which you want this functionality otherwise your program will
>>crash.
>>It looked like this was done about 7 years ago, so basically just wondered
>>if any newer better ways were possible?
>>
>>I just didn't want to duplicate code in 10 forms and try not to use code
>>that might cause crashes.
>>
>>If you know of any betters ways let me know,
>>Thanks for your help,
>>Mark
>>
>>"Tom van Stiphout" <tom7744.no.spam@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 14 May 2010 14:33:18 -0400, "Mark Andrews"
>>> <mandrews___NOSPAM___@rptsoftware.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> You wrote:
>>> Also don't like that the code must exist in the form class module
>>> instead of a normal module.
>>>
>>> I ask: why not? Aren't class modules full citizens in the Access
>>> world?
>>>
>>> That said, there certainly is a way to set a default folder. Check
>>> this out:
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb774065%28VS.85%29.aspx
>>>
>>> -Tom.
>>> Microsoft Access MVP

0
Mark

Default MAilboxes and CRM 3
Hi I am using Outlook 2007 and Exchange server 2003 All working well. In My Mailbox I have three user mailboxes for the three companies I run and the main default mailbox. Now the problem I am getting is I am also using CRM and the CRM use relates to the one company which is not the default mailbox. If I want to do anything in CRM 3 it comes up with the message" You can only use this operation if you are in the default mailbox" and I have to copy the email into the default mailbox. Is there anyway I can change the mailbox for th eone company and mark it as the default mail...

Folders #4
If you have multiple POP3 accounts in Outlook 2002 is it possible to have the e-mails go to seperate file folders? I created new Outlook data files but it does not let me desiginate seperate folder. When I have one all of them get changed. Thanks in advance... Bob I'm not sure what you mean by "when I have one all of them get changed"...can you please elaborate? New e-mail will always come into the Inbox of your default set of Personal Folders first; you can use rules to redirect the messages to other folders or open .PST files after they arrive. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP ...

setting up online bill pay money 2002
I use bank of America. When I tried to sign up for online bill pay, I recieved a web page with a message that there isn't a microsoft web page that matches your entry. I have online bill pay through my bank but would like to use it through money 2002. Anyone have any suggestions on how to sign up a different way? Thanks, Stacy ...

Public folder replication between sites
Hi, I have mixed mode Exchange 2003 organization. There are 3-Exc5.5 and 2-Exchange 2003 sites. I try to replicate public folders. PFs are replicated to Exc5.5 sites but not replicated to Exc2003 site. I can see 3018 and 3019 in the event viewer in source Exchange whenever I force replication. At the same time I see event id 3093 but I am sure that Public folder replication agent is running because I find an event id which shows replication agent started. Note: There are checkpoints in every sites. However there is no restriction between Exchanges and DCs. I wait for your help please. Thank...

How do i create a custom folder in the outlook folder list that
everyone will get? also what would be the best way to export the contents of that? my hope is to have my users move spam into this folder and be able to export it and review it before blocking. thank you =?Utf-8?B?am9u?= <jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:220AEF69-110E-441D-8E64-919D35669EDA@microsoft.com: > everyone will get? > > also what would be the best way to export the contents of that? my > hope is to have my users move spam into this folder and be able to > export it and review it before blocking. Possibly a public folder? Regards, -- Arlo ...

OWA
Hi all! Is there any chance to enable Reply, Reply To All, and Forward buttons in Public Folders in OWA? Thanx for any hint! -- R.V. You can do this in Exchange 2003 as long as you have a front-end server. IIRC, this is a new feature in Exchange 2003 and not available in previous versions. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Radovan Vojtek" <RadovanVojtek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B81446C-73C1-428B-80CC-119B4667C2C4@microsoft.com... > Hi all! > > Is there any chance to en...

Change default domain in Forms Based Authentication
Hello all, I've set up my Exchange 2003 server in production and have enabled Forms Based Authentication for Outlook Web Access. I have one front end server and two back end servers. Since any user in Exchange 2000 could just type in their alias to access their mailbox I *need* to maintain this functionality. However, it seems that with FBA you cannot specify a default domain in Exchange System Manager. The settings are all grayed out. I can, however, set a default domain in IIS. This works until Exchange decided to reset those settings. How can I change the default domia...

delete outlook mailbox folder
when I try to delete a mailbox folder iin 2007 I get a message "cannot remove the items the folder is full" the recommended fix is to change permissions but I don't know how. these folders were created in an earlier version of Outlook and imported when I upgraded to 2007 moved http://www.msoutlook.info/question/288 On Dec 31, 5:00=A0pm, Margi <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > when I try to delete a mailbox folder iin 2007 I get a message "cannot re= move > the items the folder is full" the recommended fix is to change permission= s &...

Combo Box sort first by alpha-numeric address sets
I have a Combo box of addresses that look like this: Run_point_Address_A 136 Herne Hill, SE24 26 Stanstead Road, SE23 35 Sunderland Road, SE23 389 Coldharbour Lane, SW9 41 Stanstead Road, SE23 Blythe Hill, SE6 Brockley Rise, SE23 Brockley Rise, SE23 Coldharbour Lane, SE24 Half Moon Lane, SE24 Herne Hill, SE24 Herne Hill, SE24 Milkwood Road, SE24 Milkwood Road, SE24 Milkwood Road, SE24 Stanstead Road, SE23 Stanstead Road, SE23 Stanstead Road, SE6 How can I make it sort like this: (Which is Alpha first, then numerical, but based on the individual alpha address sets) Run_point_Address_A Bl...

Set Read Only
I automatically save a copy of a file to a communal location (Y drive), so that other persons may read it, using the following code: Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) 'save copy to Network Storage Folder (Y Drive) ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs "Y:\" & ActiveWorkbook.Name End Sub This works fine but how do I make this copy a read only file? Peter You can use SetAttr to change the file to readonly: Dim myNewName As String myNewName = "Y:\" & ActiveWorkbook.Name On Error Resume Next 'in case th...

Hidden folder problem
I have 1 hidden folder. All the others seem visible. My folder is C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Favorite\Links I want to add some bookmarks to Links. It is visible in CMD mode I have "Show hidden files & folders" checked in tools Any ideas? Bob Open Internet Explorer, and add them there. Bob wrote: > I have 1 hidden folder. All the others seem visible. My folder is > C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Favorite\Links > I want to add some bookmarks to Links. It is visible in CMD mode > I have "Show hidden files & folders&q...

Public Folders Problem!
I have used SBS premium 2003 that run with exchnage/SP2,Clients side using Outlook 2000 for connect to exchange; NOw; When Client try to connect the public folder using Outlook,The Outlook was not respond and then I can not using it. in this case What should check I? Thanks From now Best Regards. Dissolve <unknown@solve.net> wrote: > I have used SBS premium 2003 that run with exchnage/SP2,Clients side > using Outlook 2000 for connect to exchange; Since you have SBS2003, you can (and really should) install Outlook 2003 for all your users. It's a lot better (and OL2000 h...

how do I change the default font size in endnotes? 03-03-10
I cannot change the default font size in endnotes (Word 2003). If I use the font menu and seek to apply 12-pointas default, it reverts to 10-point every time I create a new endnote. Can somebody help? You should be able to change your default font. Click Format, Font, change font size, click on Default button to select the new size. The font size will be the same for your endnotes. "kar201245" wrote: > I cannot change the default font size in endnotes (Word 2003). If I use the > font menu and seek to apply 12-pointas default, it reverts to 10-point every >...

OWA Public folder problem
don't know if this is the right place to post this question but I'll ask anyway. I am running Exchange 2003 on w2k3 and using OWA. I click on the link to open Public Folders and a new IE window opens with a list of all the public folders available to me. I then go into one of these folders and see that there is a message in it with an attachment. In the reading pane I only get the To; and From fields. I then try to open the post and a new window opens ( I assumed the new window would contain the message) but I then get a http 403 error. I checked exchange system manager and directory...

error
Hi, I am new to excel programming. Want to create a 3D Surface chart. I a using VB 6.0 and Microsoft Excel 9.0 Object Library. Data for the char is in the text file and I don't want to put that data in worksheet Instead I have populated that data in Variant arrays. Three Varian arrays for 3 Axes. But i am getting error for the following code: Set objExcelApp = New Excel.Application Set objExcelWkb = objExcelApp.Workbooks.Add Set objExcelWs = objExcelWkb.Worksheets(1) Set objExcelCht = objExcelWkb.Charts.Add Set objexcelseries1 = objExcelCht.SeriesCollection.NewSerie -- vj ------------...

Setting non-rectangular clipping region without leaving gaps
I have a rectangle with a 1px black border and rounded corners drawn with CDC::RoundRect that I want to use as a clipping region. All drawing and filling should happen within this rectangle. So I did: dc.RoundRect(rectClient, CPoint(9, 9)); CRgn rgnClip; rgnClip.CreateRoundRectRgn(rectClient.TopLeft().x + 1, rectClient.TopLeft().y + 1, rectClient.BottomRight().x, rectClient.BottomRight().y, 9, 9); If I don't add the +1 to the top-left coordinates, the cl...

can't mail enable public folder
I have an Exchange 2003 running on Windows Server 2003 running in native mode. It was a clean install, no upgrade. I didn't encouter any problem when I right click a public folder and mail enable it. However, when I tried to access the property of the folder, I got "The mail proxy for this folder can not be found. This may be due to replication delays. The mail enabled pages will not be shown. ID no: c1038a21" I researched on the web and couldn't find any solution that seems to work. Please advise. Thank you, Lei Anything in the app event log? Have you app...

set cell to empty
I have an Excel sheet which produces a table of numbers from 3 user-input numbers. I also want to plot charts of the columns. For most of the examples all 20 rows won't have data written to them so only the rows with current data should be non-blank. My problem is getting the data points which are blank to not plot as zero. This works perfectly if the table is filtered but the user should not be expected to know how to run the advanced filter. I've tried copying a blank/empty cell but it plots in the table as zero. Setting the cells to "" does not plot on...

Changing the envelope default font in W2007 doesn't work for me
I change enveloe font default to Times New Roman in Word 2007 and print the envelope. However, it has returned to the old default +Headings Reg 12 the next time I go to print an envelope. How do I change the default and make it stick? Thanks, John McEwen Have you actually modified the Envelope Address and Envelope Return styles? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Grandpa John" <Grandpa John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8A82FD0-B543-40D3-A8FB-F56DF47DF967@microsoft...

Unable to locate folders
The message "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again." is displayed when I attempt to use the inbox or the calendar in Outlook. I am using Outlook 2002 and Windows XP for the first time on a new machine. Everything else seems to work OK. I have tried loading Outlook with the cleanviews switch but it does not work. Thanks PC ...

unable to open default mail folders #2
I used to use my computer on my network at work. Now I can't open my outlook because I'm no longer connected to a server. Any tips on what I need to do so that my system no longer thinks I'm part of the network? petemcdonough @verizon.net pete <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I used to use my computer on my network at work. Now I > can't open my outlook because I'm no longer connected to a > server. Any tips on what I need to do so that my system > no longer thinks I'm part of the network? Yes. Talk to your IT people at wo...

IMAP and local folders

Vertical bar on the left of my folders has diappeared
I have Windows XP SP3. Until about a week ago in folders in "My Documents" e.g. My Pictures folder I had a vertical bar on the left with a number of links e.g. "Email this file" and "Copy to CD" etc. etc. This bar has now completely disappeared and is no longer there. Could someone please advise what could have happened and how to get it back again please. > I had a vertical bar on the left with a number of > This bar has now completely disappeared Tools > Folder Options > General (x) Show common tasks in Folder Lg Marcello ...

Automatic "Mark as read" for 1 folder?
I'm using Outlook 2002 (SP-2). I also use Qurb, a whitelist, to automatically direct spam out of my InBox and into a separate "Qurb" folder. Is there some way I can create a rule that when a message goes into the Qurb folder it is automatically marked as read? "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23dX0GakSEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I'm using Outlook 2002 (SP-2). I also use Qurb, a whitelist, to > automatically direct spam out of my InBox and into a separate "Qurb" folder. > > Is there some way I can create...

Use of Folder List
Somebody HELP me! I have many folders at folder list section. and use of mail rules, mails go to a specific folder for sorting. Problem is that unless all of the folders are seen on the folder list section, I cannot tell if I received a mail or not. How can I make it that when a mail comes in to a sub-sub-folder, main folder will become bold letters to tell me that it is unread mail is in somewhere in the folder family? Please let me know. I am using xp outlook. My Mac Enourage does it fine. Thank you!!! ...