Back-end mdb and odbc - newcomer

I have back-end access database that I want to put in secure place. Is odbc a good way to connect to it? How to set it up?-AB-
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Larry

Please explain to me how MSDE 2.0 is LIMITED

It's not LIMITED
Access MDB is LIMITED to a half dozen users and 25 mb of data

-Aaron

On Mar 29, 9:33 pm, "Larry Linson" <boun...@localhost.not> wrote:
> "Agus Budianto" <AgusBudia...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
>  > I have back-end access database that I want to
>  > put in secure place. Is odbc a good way to
>  > connect to it? How to set it up?
>
> You cannot connect an Access MDB to Jet via ODBC. AFAIK, the same is true
> for Access 2007 and ACCDB.
>
> I had a colleague who "turned an Access MDB into a special-case server
> database". He created a VB application to run on the server to access the
> database and communicate to users via WINSOCK, then for the users, he
> created a VB application for their interface that communicated to the VB
> server application via WINSOCK.  There were a lot of users whose updates
> were low-frequency, his database was secure because no users had "access" to
> the folder, they could only send updates to the VB server application.  It
> was non-trivial work, but it didn't require startling breakthroughs nor
> climbing mountains never-before-climbed, either.
>
> On the other hand, you can use Access as a client application to any
> ODBC-compliant server DB. There's a "limited" copy of SQL Server that comes
> with older versions of Access, called MSDE. There is now an SQL Server 2005
> Express Edition and an even lighter-weight SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition,
> both free, that can be used from Access via ODBC. And, there are at least
> two or three Open-Source databases with available ODBC drivers. I've used
> none of the free versions, but have, since the days of Access 2.0, worked on
> Access clients to various ODBC-compliant server databases from Informix,
> Sybase, and Microsoft.
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Access MVP

0
aaron
3/30/2007 9:36:45 PM
A a r o n   K e m p f wrote:

>Please explain to me how MSDE 2.0 is LIMITED

Throttled to 5 processes and maximum of 2 Gb in size.

>Access MDB is LIMITED to a half dozen users and 25 mb of data

Wrong.   I've happily had a database with 25 users and 300 mb of data.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

a) MSDE 2.0 (SQL 2000) is not throtted to 5 processes.  It has a
GOVERNOR, YES.  But with MSDE it is a soft governor instead of a hard;
from what I've seen-- MSDE works like a charm for 90% of departmental
projects.  SQL Server works great for larger projects.  And SQL 2005
Express has NO connection limits.

b) I've had a hundred MDB and MDB-linked SQL Server databases that DO
NOT WORK FOR 25 USERS AND THEY DO NOT WORK FOR A SINGLE USER

c) Access is for babies and chipmunks; it is so 1993 to use MDB, kid

On Mar 30, 7:47 pm, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> A a r o n   K e m p f wrote:
>
> >Please explain to me how MSDE 2.0 is LIMITED
>
> Throttled to 5 processes and maximum of 2 Gb in size.
>
> >Access MDB is LIMITED to a half dozen users and 25 mb of data
>
> Wrong.   I've happily had a database with 25 users and 300 mb of data.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems athttp://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

0
aaron
4/2/2007 5:01:27 PM
yes, MSDE 1.0 had a harder limit to 5 connections.
MSDE 2.0 has a soft limit.

and SQL Server 2005 Express has NO LIMITS.

ADP works _GREAT_ in a production capacity using SQL Server 2005
Express.

MDB is a pain in the ass; I mean-- aren't you tired of forcing a
reboot of a file server just so that you can take a backup?

ROFL

On Mar 30, 7:47 pm, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> A a r o n   K e m p f wrote:
>
> >Please explain to me how MSDE 2.0 is LIMITED
>
> Throttled to 5 processes and maximum of 2 Gb in size.
>
> >Access MDB is LIMITED to a half dozen users and 25 mb of data
>
> Wrong.   I've happily had a database with 25 users and 300 mb of data.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems athttp://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

0
aaron

Text function names ending in "$"
Hi ! I'm using Microsoft Access 2003 and Windows Vista. For table design there is a validation rule expression builder. It offers text functions ending in a "$". E.g., there is a function TRIM$ in addition to TRIM. What's the meaning of the $ character? Thank you very much for your kind help. Peter It means that the function returns a string, not a variant, so will be slightly faster (not that you'd likely notice the difference). It also means that it will raise an error if the value passed to it is Null, though, so you need to know your data befor...

Enabling SSL and FBA on Front End Server Issue
Hello, I currently have Exchange 2003 with a front end/ back end scenario. I am attempting to enable Forms Based Authentication on the FE server for security and asthetic reasons (and my boss told me to). I have gone through many MS KB articles and used Petri.co.il as resources, but it seens whatever I do, it does not work. I have gone through all of the obvious steps in regard to enabling SSL, etc. I attempted to use a THWATE cert. that we have w/o success. I created an internal cert. and that does not work either. When I enable SSL the site states that it is an SSL site and to add http...

Backing up Contacts and E-mail addresses
Recently my computer crashed and I lost all of my E-mail addresses. Is there a way to backup my contact folder? If so, how. Also what program do you have to use to open your archrive folder? My operating software is MS XP Pro. Any assistance you might give would be greatly appreated. Happy holidays, West Ford. The contacts folder is stored in afile with extension .pst (youcan check the path by gooing to tools\services\personal folders. You need to back this file up. You can use export if you just want the addresses. Yo use archive folder you need to use outlook. In effect it a p...

Creating ODBC link within SELECT statement
Is this possible. To explain myself, here is my situation. I created an Excel Spreadsheet that uses an ODBC link to a SQL database. In order for anyone to use this file on their PC, that same ODBC link must be setup. Is their some code I can use within a Select Statement that will allow me to bypass having to create an ODBC on everyone's PC? Thanks. Hi Preacher Man, Please don't cross-post to multiple newsgroups. This bit of code sets a connection to Northwind on my local server Sub UpdatePivot() Dim pvt As PivotTable Dim pCache As PivotCache Dim sSQL, sServer, sUser As Str...

Is there a back up for email
I accidently deleated a user from my computer. In the process it took ALL my saved emails. Is there a back-up somewhere of those emails and also my address book? PLEASE HELP Thanks "Lisa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:078801c3b8fb$1fbfee40$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I accidently deleated a user from my computer. In the > process it took ALL my saved emails. Is there a back-up > somewhere of those emails and also my address book? > PLEASE HELP > Thanks What OS? There is unlikely to be a backup, unless you created one, or installed a...

Can an excel XP 2003 file be exported to an Access mdb file if so how?
Greetings All, I have and app that will only read Access mdb files but I don't have access to "Access" is there a plugin or will excel 2003 xp save directly to an Access 2003 file format? Is there a free plugin around? TIA Tia Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sal@spp.net wrote: > Greetings All, > > I have and app that will only read Access mdb files but I don't have > access to "Access" is there a plugin or will excel 2003 xp save > directly to an Access 2003 file format? > > Is there a free plugin ar...

Calculate Back Order
We are trying to simplify the Back Order process because we do not allocate Inventory until we transfer to Invoice. So, if we have an order for 15,380 rims and we want to Invoice 3,456 of those, you have to break out the calculator to get the number. We want to take human error out of the equation. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsof...

The command bar in Excel has been deleted. How do I get it back?
When I came to work tonight and opened up Excel, I received a runtime error in Visual basic ... It said "run-time error"-2147467259(80004005)': Method "Visible" of object "CommandBar' Failed" I clicked End on the runtime error, and Excel came up ... but all the Tool Bars are missing ... I can't save or print any files ... Any suggestions on how to fix this ...??? Thanks ... CJ It sounds like there is some code them hides all the bars, and then goes through making some visible. Probably trying to make Worksheet Menu Bar visible and failing. You ...

Access: Combo box switching btw multiple back ends?
Howdy. I was wondering if anyone knew a somewhat simple way to switch between back end databases using a combo box on a main startup form. I am working with Access 2002. Each user works from their own copy of the front end on their C: Drive. There are several back end databases (tables only). All of these reside on the server and each is for a different sector of my workplace . These DBs are essentially the same format, just with different data in them. The process of switching is simple enough to do manually: Tools-Database Utilities-Linked Table Manager-(select all) and then choose the ne...

Bringing back info from a field
I have a column, each row containing the directory structure and filename. ie H:\ABC\98\EFG.zip H:\ABC\98\HI.doc H:\KLM\NO\PQRST\W.xls I would like to bring back the directory in one adjacent column and the filename in another column. So example above i would end up with one column H:\ABC\98 H:\ABC\98 H:\KLM\NO\PQRST AND in another column EFG.zip HI.doc W.xls Is it possible using functions or VBA? Regards Steve Fisher Can you use two helper columns? Say your data is in column A1:A9999 Put this formula (from Harlan Grove) in B1 and drag down: =MAX(IF(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:102...

.xls trailing on end of name for workbook
Hi everybody, On one computer I can save an excel file that would show for example "Book1", Then on another computer if I try to save a file it saves it as "Book1.xls", I notice that all the files have this xls attachment on the end on one computer but not on the other. Why is it doing this and can it be corrected. The only way I can rename a file on this computer is by leaving the .xls there? Thanks for any help Larry -- keithl816 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ keithl816's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?ac...

Deposit on back order
Is it possible to take a deposit for back orders? when I go to the back order detail window and override the deposit amount is give me error "invalid operation 411" Am I missing any set up options? No, it looks like you can't add a deposit for a back order. If you look in Store Ops Manager, File menu, Configuration, and then look at Ordering. There doesn't appear to be any way to set a deposit. You'd probably have to make it an order of another sort. I would have thought it'd be a fairly normal thing to want to do, but there you go. "S Dover"...

Navigate back to Main Form.
I have two main forms (one used by supervisors & the other used by machine operators). From both of those forms I open a subform which allows me to input data for query sort paramaters & generate a report. That all works. What I would like to do is utilize the OnClose Event of the subform and have it navigate back to the originating main form which opened it. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com In your main form(s) you probably have something like the following to display your child (sub) form: DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_detail", _ DataMode:=a...

end label only
Hi all, I know how to obtain labels in a graph. What should I do to have only the "end" label showing? (I mean the label at the end of the line, so with the largest coordinates) I know I can "click away" all not wanted labels once they are shown, but that should be done every time again when the graph is updated in case of new entries, that is not what I am looking for. Jack Sons The Netherlands Andy, Jon's LabelLastPoint sub does not what I want, it only places the name of the variable (generally the first cell of the column wirhe the data, containing the fieldn...

Symbolising the Continuation Over-leaf or End of an Article
In magazines there is often a small box that indiates the end of an article and there are also >>> markings to indicate that the story is continued over the page. Can anyone tell me if you can or how to do this in Publisher (without creating a mini object or changing to wing / web-dings for the symbol). I do not know what they are called so I can not find them on HELP! Is there a special way to make these marks in Publisher? Thank you. End of section symbol is � (alt+0167). In Publisher, unlike Word you will have to go to the insert symbol for the square. In Word, type 25A0...

pivot table label adding "2" to the end of a label name
Hi, I have a pivot table and sometimes it adds a "2" to the end of a row lable ie. "joes pizza" is displayed as "joes pizza2". the sorce data certanly doesn't include the "2" and it seems like it is trying to tell me some thing ;). It might be hapening after i do a "replace command" in the source data (replace "sams pizza" with joes Pizza"). any one experienced this? Cheers, The only time I've seen this is when I had multiple headers with the same name. If I were you, I'd check once more--don't forget to c...

backing up and restoring outlook express email and address book
Hi, I would like to install a new hard drive into my IBM Aptiva computer. I am using outlook express 6.0. I have taken the old hard drive out without removing any data at all. It is completely intact. I have installed the new hard drive and formatted it, then installed Windows 2000. In the process of setting up my internet connection, I was prompted to set up my mail account. I did set up the mail account without any problems. I know would like to restore all of may previous mail and address book from my old hard drive. What do I need to do. Thanks for your help This specifi...

Backing up Outlook 2007
I need to re-format and re-install Windows XP and Office 2007 on my laptop - I subscribe to an Internet calendar. Is there any way of backing that info up? thanks "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:eCqW7HwiHHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I need to re-format and re-install Windows XP and Office 2007 on my >laptop - I subscribe to an Internet calendar. Is there any way of backing >that info up? > > thanks Hi Gordon, have a look on this sites: "Backing Up Items" http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/CH06356...

adding a comma at the end of a number to every cell
I have 22,000 cells with zip codes. I need to add a comma at the end of every number. Does anyone know how I can do this? Someone may have a better way but this worked for me. But please try it on a copy of the worksheet in case I am not understanding you correctly. Say my first zip code is in cell A1. In cell B1, enter the formula =A1&"," and copy it down. This causes column B to contain the zip code with the comma after it. Then I copied Column B and used Edit, Paste Special, Values to paste it over Column A. Judy Freed "Jeff" <jeff@nbotv.com> wrot...

Problems setting up SSL on Exchange 2003 Front End server
Hi, I've had a 2-node 2003 cluster running for a while now. I'm just in the process of setting up a FE server for this. I've installed it and got it running, and all looks ok, but now I've come to setting up SSL I'm running into problems. I have installed a an Enterprise Root CA on a server in the forest root. The Exchange servers are all running in the sub-domain of this. I've followed the instructions found on this website: http://tinyurl.com/4xa74 All seems to go well up until step 14 of the section called "Creating the Certificate Request". I get ...

Front End Configuration
We are in the process of deploying Front End Exchange Servers but we will not be configuring RPC over Http. We will have two Front End server that will be load balanced. What is best way to configure these Front End Servers: Basic Authentication with SSl?? If his is the best, does someone has any documents specific to this configuration that does not involved RPC stuff. Feddie On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:54:02 -0700, Feddie <Feddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are in the process of deploying Front End Exchange Servers but we will not >be configuring RPC over Http. We w...

Backing up the ADC
We want to upgrade our ADC to Exchange 2003 SP1 version. Is there any special process for backing it up? (i.e. open files, should we shut the ADC service off first, do a system state etc.) We just want to make sure we get a good backup, not just garbage... often our guys do a file backup, ignore open files, and assume we can restore. Thanks. ...

End-User license Agreement
I am running Windows 2000 and Office Small Business. Everytime I open Excel, Word, etc. the end-user license agreement opens and I have to click accept to continue. How can I get this to go away and not come back? ...

Issue creating sql authentication odbc system dsn
Can anyone spot what's wrong with the code below which attempts to create a system dsn using sql server authentication? The login id and password are good for sure so is the db name and server name. Private Declare Function SQLConfigDataSource Lib "odbccp32.dll" _ (ByVal hwndParent As Long, _ ByVal fRequest As Integer, _ ByVal lpszDriver As String, _ ByVal lpszAttributes As String) As Long public CreateDSN() dim lngResult as long ' skip stuff lngResult = SQLConfigDataSource(0, _ ODBC_ADD_SYS_DSN, _ ...