Back End Insecure (and don't you hate when that happens!)

A2000, used the splitter and security wizard, ended up with _BE not secured.

When I try to open App_BE.mdb when joined with app's WIF, it asks for
password. This is good. But when I open App_BE.mdb from the System.mdw
shipped with Access it *doesn't* ask for password, just opens the database.
This is bad.

Any idea what is going wrong and how I can fix it?

0
David
5/30/2007 12:47:22 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

> Any idea what is going wrong and how I can fix it?

Well, you never did have to use the security wizard to secure a database.
The security wizard does not do anything that you can't do manually (it does
not modify the file in some special way).

So, really just make sure you launch ms-access joined to that workgroup.
Create a new blank database (while still joined). Remove database
permissions to the "users" group. And, remove permissions from the Admin
"user". (that means you have to be logged in with a different user name then
admin....

I assume you have a some admin user account logon for your current secured
database. Now, simply import all of the back tables into this new mdb. Since
you removed all permissions to the "users" group for the database, and also
from the admin USER logon. If you then try and launch this database not
attached to the correct workgroup, you get a security message.

I actually have several split applications, and I never did get around to
security the back end. (security in the front end is only restricted to what
reports and forms particular users can launch). For the back end:

So, I make a macro called AutoExec. In the macro, I put the following code:

Action                Parms
Msgbox              message:You do not have permissions to run this file
                          Beep: Yes
                          Type: Critical
                          Title: Can not run

Quit:                    Options:Exit

As an alterative, you an make a nice little form in the back end, and set
the start-up options to run that form that displays a message, and then when
they click ok...you do a application.quit.

And, to disable the "shift key", simply grab my shift key utility here to
turn off the shift key by-pass

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html

This actually keeps 99% of the people out. If they double click on the back
end...they get a security message. And, even better is that they get this
message EVEN WHEN connected to the correct security group.

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
5/30/2007 2:03:35 AM
Thank you, Albert. Your instructions worked well.

"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Any idea what is going wrong and how I can fix it?
>
> Well, you never did have to use the security wizard to secure a database.
> The security wizard does not do anything that you can't do manually (it
> does not modify the file in some special way).
>
> So, really just make sure you launch ms-access joined to that workgroup.
> Create a new blank database (while still joined). Remove database
> permissions to the "users" group. And, remove permissions from the Admin
> "user". (that means you have to be logged in with a different user name
> then admin....
>
> I assume you have a some admin user account logon for your current secured
> database. Now, simply import all of the back tables into this new mdb.
> Since you removed all permissions to the "users" group for the database,
> and also from the admin USER logon. If you then try and launch this
> database not attached to the correct workgroup, you get a security
> message.
>

> I actually have several split applications, and I never did get around to
> security the back end. (security in the front end is only restricted to
> what reports and forms particular users can launch). For the back end:
>

> So, I make a macro called AutoExec. In the macro, I put the following
> code:
>
> Action                Parms
> Msgbox              message:You do not have permissions to run this file
>                          Beep: Yes
>                          Type: Critical
>                          Title: Can not run
>
> Quit:                    Options:Exit
>
> As an alterative, you an make a nice little form in the back end, and set
> the start-up options to run that form that displays a message, and then
> when
> they click ok...you do a application.quit.
>
> And, to disable the "shift key", simply grab my shift key utility here to
> turn off the shift key by-pass
>
> http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html
>
> This actually keeps 99% of the people out. If they double click on the
> back end...they get a security message. And, even better is that they get
> this message EVEN WHEN connected to the correct security group.
>
> --
> Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com

0
David

Error message when backing up pst file
I have OL 2007 running on Vista - when trying to back up pst file get the following error code:0x80070021 The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file. Can anyone explain this please? This is why Microsoft does NOT support the use of pst files over a network......You also run the very considerable risk of corrupting pst files that are accessed over a network. Put the files onto a local drive, and if you need to have them on a network location for daily backing-up then write a script to copy them after Outlook has closed. ...

Is anyone running into reconciliation issues during year-end closing?
We have heard from many customers leading into the 2011 year-end close process asking how The Closer can help with GL to Sub-Ledger reconcilations in Great Plains. With The Closer you can reconcile your GL to the AR, AP, Cash, Accrued Purchases, Inventory, Sales and COGS sub-ledgers. Some users of The Closer have seen their closing process go from taking over 40 hours to only 2 hours. The Closer works from v7.0 to current. Please do not put yourself through another year-end process of manually reonciling Dynamics GP. The Closer is priced right, installs in 20 minutes and can add immediat...

how to end a thread from the main thread
how to end a thread from the main thread Regards, Mystique Mystique wrote: > how to end a thread from the main thread Ending a thread directly from another thread should always be considered not an option. If you want to end a UI thread, post a WM_CLOSE message to it and let it terminate itself. If you want to end a worker thread, use a variable to signal to the thread that it's time to shut down. If you need to wait until the thread is shutdown, wait on it's handle in the main thread. Which type of thread are you using? Josh McFarlane See my essay on worker threads on...

Reprint year end closing journal for GL
We had a printing problem when I did our system year end so nono of the posting journals printed. I could reprint the BBF journal but I can not find the the journal that clears out the P&L accounts to the retained earnings. Is there a way to reprint this? Thanks -- Pieter ...

Element End Tag #2
How can you tell when you've reached an elements end tag? For example, how can the following code tell that <MenuItem Label="Overview" ClientSideOnClick="CacheDemo/IntroToCache.ascx"/> has an end tag? StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder(); if (xmlReader.NodeType == XmlNodeType.Element) { while (xmlReader.MoveToNextAttribute()) { sb.Append (xmlReader.Name + "=" + xmlReader.Value); // How can I tell when the end tag "/>" is reached ? ? ? ? } } else if (xmlReader.NodeType == XmlNodeType.EndElement) .... This seems easy enough wh...

After import/publish customizations, how to restore it back???
Becasue the customizations has some error after import/publish, I'm going to restore the original system customizations. Unless you have a backup of the Metabase, then you need a backup customization XML file. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "CEO" <ceo_uk@msn.com> wrote in message news:E4DC18E6-E1D0-4009-9855-A8160060862F@microsoft.com... Becasue the customizations has some error after import/publish, I'm going to restore the original system customizations. Thanks Matt, it that means if I have the original metabase backup and original customization xml f...

End of Year #3
How do you close the end of year in Money 2004. I went throught the book and KB and nothing. Please Help It don't think it needs to "close". The only thing I can think of that it effects in the tax estimate on my home page that rolls to 2005 information. All reports can by selected for prior year data. "CJR" <CJR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D8AF1EE-481D-423D-9FD8-BF076405E4BC@microsoft.com... > How do you close the end of year in Money 2004. I went throught the book > and > KB and nothing. > Please Help > There i...

autofill won't fill to end of used range
I am writing a macro to be used on a generated report. As part of the macro, I need it to autofill formulas in various columns to the last row of data, which can vary each time the report is generated. The first formula to be filled is in col D. There are NO empty cells in column C (nor A & B for that matter) in the used range (3000+ entries), but when the macro runs it will only fill to row 605! However, when I insert a breakpoint just before the formula autofills and manually double-click the hande to perform an autofill, it works just fine. Needless to say, I don'...

Audio breaks up 15 sec before end of each song
Media player version 11.0.6002.18111 on Windows Vista home premium. At the end of each song I play on Windows media player, about 15 seconds before the end, the audio breaks up. (It sounds like an old vinyl record skipping.) Songs were copied from various CDs I own. When songs are burned back to a CD the problem is not there. The problem does not happen when playing the CD directly. Thanks in advance, I'm new to this forum. Might it be that your computer is a Dell? If so, disable all enhancements as it comes with crippled drivers http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Troub...

Reporting back crashes in MFC-based products
Hello, We have a product written in MFC using Visual Studio 7.1. We are now planning to implement a feature that will detect a crash and report to us the cause of the crash and other meaningful information. The plan is to provide something similar to Window's error reporting tool. I found a 3rd party tool for Delphi that instruments the source code. When the program crashes, it provides information like the name of the function, module etc.. Is there something similar that I can use with MFC? The other option is to use MFC's Structured Exception Handling and try to get a memory dump...

How the windows program update happens?
Dear All, I would like to know how the windows programs update happens? I have my project based on windows and would like to update thro' my web link automatically when i realease the new libraries. So, how i can do this. Pls help me on steps to do this and sample programs would be grt to understand. Thanks, Sweety Windows updates occur through a windows service. If (on XP) you go Control Panel/ Administrative Tools/Services you should see a service listed called "Automatic Updates". Click on this and you'll see a fuller description. This service obviously connects to a...

Rebooting in Front End Back End Environment
I am running one front end server and one back end server, is there a preferred order in which to reboot the servers? My front end takes 10 minutes to shut down and my back end is down in just a couple of minutes. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. -- Cheers! I guess it may depend on why you are rebooting. Most of the time it makes no difference. That said, I'd either do the FE first or do both at the same time. If the BE is down the FE is useless. -GT "Rio" <Rio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD129E06-9AEF-47B4-8535-4ADABE236C2D@microsoft....

Grinning Shark "Watch Your Back" Crashing Outlook 2002
Seems that this add-in is crashing Outlook 2002-SP2. Once in a while Outlook will identify it by name as preventing it from starting. The product's support web page at http://www.grinningshark.com is giving some bizarre error messages, and all email to the author's domain is bouncing (it's the author's way of eliminating spam, by forcing customers to use his web site). All that's running at the author's web site now is the download and register functions, but no support. Does anything know if the author of Watch Your Back is still around, and how to contact him? Thanks....

Emails ending up in SPAM folders...
I have racked my brain over and over. I own a small independent I.T. company and most of my local and regional small business clients utilize free email accounts through Yahoo!, Hotmail GMail...etc and my emails are now ending up in their 'Bulk' or 'Spam' folders. I have done extensive research and find most are now utilizing Yahoo!'s domainkeys protocol for determining spam messages. Now I know what you may think, but no I am not a spammer. My clients have missed many many critical emails from my company and I need to know how to implement domainkeys in my Exchange...

Printing a line at the end of every page
I have a spreadsheet that prints on about 70 pages. I would like to place a line at the bottom of each page. Is there a way to get Excel to do this automatically instead of manually placing the lines and having to move them each time I add rows in my spreadsheet. Thanks, Kristin Kristin, Similar to Word, you can put Page Headers and Footers on your Spreadhseet for Printing. Go to File/Page Setup and then click on the Tab for Header/Footer and then Custom Footer. You can then put either fixed text or a range of different fields, although it is significantly more limited than what y...

year end procedures should include service pack updates
We had several problems with year end payroll and creating our magnetic media file because there was no communication connecting the download of SP 2 with the year end process. It is imperative that Microsoft communicate the connection between related updates and processes affected. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based New...

Confirm what happens with Item Class rolldown
Can someone confirm what actually happens if you roll down the changes when you change something on an Item Class? I need to change just one distribution account number. If I tell it to roll down the changes, will it ONLY change this particular account number on all the items that have this class? I need to make absolutely sure that nothing else will be changed if I tell it to roll things down. Hi Bud The system will do exactly what is says - it will roll down "the changes" that you have made. So, if you only change 1 GL account code then it will only roll down that 1 ...

Desktop vanished! How can I get my desktop back?
There are a no icon or link or shortcuts on my desktop. They are still in the desktop folder, but nothing on the screen but my background picture. My computer booted that way this morning, how can I get them back? This is XP SP3 nelsa wrote: > There are a no icon or link or shortcuts on my desktop. They are still in > the desktop folder, but nothing on the screen but my background picture. > > My computer booted that way this morning, how can I get them back? > > This is XP SP3 Why you are you posting your SAME message again 3-1/2 hours later? Be...

Revert back to Outlook 2000
I recently upgraded my outlook 2000 to outlook 2002. I do not care for the interface of outlook 2002 and would like to go back to outlook 2000. If I uninstall outlook 2002 will it revert back to outlook 2000? If not, is there a way to revert back to my old outlook 2000 program? Thanks, Keith "Keith" <keith.kufahl@plexus.com> wrote in message news:115501c36269$d59b03a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I recently upgraded my outlook 2000 to outlook 2002. I do > not care for the interface of outlook 2002 and would like > to go back to outlook 2000. If I uninstall outlook...

reset access menu back to original view
I just made small prog. in startup i removed the default menu, now i can access the menu any more. how to rest the menu back to original? any help plz? -- *new access developer* Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200711/1 Try holding down the shift key while you're opening the database. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "fathi_abuayyash via AccessMonster.com" <u38929@uwe> wrote in message news:7b8367d71bcfb@uwe... >I just made small prog. i...

How do I end automatic calendar summaries?
At one point in time I set up my Outlook to send a summary of my schedule to my cell phone. I don't want to use this anymore but I can't figure out how/where to stop it. Basically I get an undeliverable mail message in my Inbox every night. Frustrating! Version of Outlook? Look in tools, accounts -do you have a mobile service account listed? If not, check rules. Then check addins. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-...

Backing up Excel file
Hello all, Is there another way to back up an Excel file, besides the AutoRecover settings in Options and the Always Create Backup feature in the General Options of Save As? What I am looking to do is to create a backup copy automatically in a directory that I want (other than the directory where the original is). Thanks. Use windows explorer and just copy|paste? AccessHelp wrote: > > Hello all, > > Is there another way to back up an Excel file, besides the AutoRecover > settings in Options and the Always Create Backup feature in the General > Options of Save As? &g...

waiting for a spawned process to end
I am using the ShellExecuteEx API to spawn a third party exe from my application. I would like to somehow notify my application when the exe exits. What is the best way to wait for the exe to finish and then let my app know it is done? Is there any way to configure ShellExecuteEx so that the function does not return until the spawned exe has exited? Ben use CreateProcess or CreateProcessAsUser instead. ShellExecuteEx will always immideately return. TECH "Ben Terry" <bt@charter.net> wrote in message news:OKN9PYrNEHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I am using the Shell...

All of the sudden my charts aren't active, what happened?
got it! At one point I had highlited all of the sheets in my workbook. Some how excel grouped them together and wouldn't let me do certain functions. Anyways, to fix this I highlited all of my sheets and then right clicked on the selection. One of the options is to ungroup sheets. I chose this and now I can edit my charts etc. ...

Email Bounce Back from ISP
Hi All I am using NTL cable broadband (UK) I sometimes answer all my email first and the press send/receive to send up to 40 emails in one go. This causes every one of them to be rejected and bounced back to me. So I have conducted a few experiments that might fool whatever restriction there is on send more than one email at a time. One of the things I have done is to add a random number to the body and subject of each email just in case it looks for similar emails and and rejects them.......However this did not work. So it seems that if I try to send more than 5 emails in one go they wil...