Automatic incremental of records

I have a table with several records and arranged serially, i.e 1,2,3 .....25.
When I delete  arecod like record number 3 I would like record number 4 to
become record number 3. But in my case Record number 4 still remains serial
number 4 although it is actually the third record. Is there a way it can be
done automatically?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

njogus wrote:
> I have a table with several records and arranged serially, i.e 1,2,3
> .....25. When I delete  arecod like record number 3 I would like
> record number 4 to become record number 3. But in my case Record
> number 4 still remains serial number 4 although it is actually the
> third record. Is there a way it can be done automatically?

    Tables do not have a sequencial order.  It is more of a bucket of data.
You need to provide a method of sorting.  Since it appears you want
seniority order, then all you need is a field listing order or date/time of
seniority and sort on that field when you display the data in a query, form
or report.

--
Joseph Meehan

 Dia 's Muire duit

0
Joseph

Automatic spell checking lost
Using Outlook 2003 on many systems. All but one automatically checks the spelling and corrects it. I have looked at all settings and they are correct. I have done a repair and still have the problem. Any thoughts - should I remove and reinstall? Any ideals on this? "John Leonard - Sage" <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:O%23NkunCkEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Using Outlook 2003 on many systems. All but one automatically checks the > spelling and corrects it. > > I have looked at all settings and they are correct. I have done a repair > ...

Schedule emails to automatically be sent at a future date and time without user being logged in.
We have a request to create an automated email to be sent out twice a month to our company pay statement notifications. The payroll department is currently using the option to Do not deliver before the certain date and time which is working for now but is a problem if she logs off of her machine or if the machine turns off on her overnight when the email is scheduled to be sent. I was wondering if there were any other options or solutions that we might be able to try to have a generic email setup to automatically send at certain dates and times without having the user being logged in...

How to set plot area back to automatic?
Hi, how do I set the chart plot area back to automatic, and make it stay there? While opening new workbook and making a chart, the plot area is set to some colour and I prefer it to keep automatic, and white. How? "KeepItSimple" <KeepItSimple@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7F9B001-56FD-48E6-B1B0-1056F51FE94C@microsoft.com... > Hi, > how do I set the chart plot area back to automatic, and make it stay > there? > While opening new workbook and making a chart, the plot area is set to > some > colour and I prefer it to keep automatic, and ...

Subquery select field from previous record
I have the following table setup Table Name - tblInventoryCounts Field Names - Store Number, Count Date, Item name, Count Amount Sample Data Store Number Count date Item Name Count Amount 9 1/4/2010 Gear 10 9 1/11/2010 Gear 18 9 1/18/2010 Gear 18 I have a parameter query where the user is asked for the store number and Count Date. I need for the query to return the information for the date entered and the Count Amount from 7 ...

able to record & run macro but not edit !
All Excel97 . When I open a file with an existing macro (or create a new spreadshee and simply record an entry in a cell ) and go to Tools/Macro/Macros th macro list is visible and I can run the macro but if I try to edit it get a Microsoft Visual Basic pop-up 'Unexpected error ; quitting' o if I simply try to open the VBE i get a similar pop-up with ' Out o Memory'. Same files work fine at work (Excel 97) where I edited macros n problem. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Excel from the office 97 dis along with data access & Office tools (and their elements) ti...

Automatic updates crippling legacy machine
I have a legacy 866MHz, 384Mbyte, XP/SP3 machine that has always run "well enough" however sometime in the last several months its responsiveness became awful most of the time. Using performance monitor I determined that "automatic updates" was driving it into a condition of more than 100 paging transactions/second rather continuously. When I disabled automatic updates the machine returned to its usual condition which is to say I can have a number of apps open and get reasonable performance. Has automatic updates changed in a significant way (either intenti...

Using a Check Box in a Subform to select records
I have a Form with a subform and two combo field are used to filter for records in the subform. The records in the subform have a bound check box. When I check one record on the subform and then move my forcus off the subform, every record becomes checked. Any suggestions? Thanks Are you sure the check box is a bound control? The behaviour you are getting suggests that its more likely to be unbound. What does it say in the control's ControlSource property in its properties sheet? If it is bound to a column in the underlying recordset then the behaviour could be explained by ...

No automatic dial-up
I am using Outlook2002. There is no automatic dial up when I start Outlook. I think this is caused by using two profiles (I have to make a choice first which profile I want to use). Can someone confirm this or even better does someone know the solution? Outlook 2002 and higher will dial up on launch once you set an automatic polling interval for a mail account in Tools > Send/Receive Groups. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Josh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:025601c3c93a$09569060$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I am using Outlook2002. > Th...

CRM 3.0 Opportunity history and related records
I am working with multiple quotes within a single opportunity. As a quote is revised and replaced by a new quote, a quote rule automatically schedules a task to follow-up the quote. This task appears in the history for the quote (once the task has been completed obviously), but it does not appear in the history for the opportunity. The quote is related to the opportunity as it appears in the quotes tab for that opportunity. I expected to see the history item in the opportunity history if I included 'Related Records' in the filter - but it's not there. Am I missing somethin...

Display a count of unique records in a query in Access 2007
Hi, I'm not sure if I should be in this group, or Reports, but I'll start here. I have a user who would like to do a count of unique records and display the information in a query, or a report. Here are the basics: She has a list of donors, some of the donors donate more than once to the same cause. What she would like is a list of the number of donors, per cause. But, if the donor ID repeats for the same cause, she does not want that ID counted again. Example: We can get a query to return a count of the records per cause. It is returning a value of "7" for a cause,...

DNS issues, reverse lookup, MX records
Hello, I've done some searching in the groups, but I'd like to pose a specific scenario. We are getting these errors: #4.7.1 smtp;450 4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your reverse hostname, This is the situation. Our domain name is registered with network solutions. Our website is hosted with Yahoo on a business account. Yahoo used to host our email as well. Recently we put in a local SBS 2003 server to host our Exchange locally. Originally our Network solutions account had all DNS pointing to Yahoo's name servers, as it should have. We wanted to switch the MX reco...

Filter every nth record within a worksheet...
Hi, In the past, I have used the Data/Filter/Advance Filter tool to get unique records based on text in a column. Is there a simple way to obtain the nth rows in a worksheet? For example, I wish to display the 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, etc. rows. Or perhaps the 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, etc rows only. I thought if I could specify a criteria, this might work but I don't know how to approach this task. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. -Greg I use a helper column and Data|filter|autofilter. I use a formula like: =mod(row(),4) Or =mod(row(),3) Then filter to show the 0's, 1'...

can't record a new macro or insert module in editor
When i try to record a new macro it tells me it is unalbe to record. When i go into the VB editor and go to the insert menu all the items are greyed out so I can't select module and so create a new macor that way. I have changed the security off from high (tried on both medium and low). Does anybody know why I can't make new macros? Douglas Allen Douglas Unfortunately the "Unable to record" message has several potential causes. Suggest you wander through these google search results dealing with this issue. Perhaps something will do the trick. The Personal.xls file ...

excel vba
i am trying to set up something in cell K5 whereby it will produce upo opening, a sequential number 1 higher than the last. I think the end code is Range("K5").Value + 1 but how do i set it up to get that sequencing -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi You need this event to run your code line when the workbook opens Private Sub Workbook_Open() With Sheets("sheet1") .Range("K5").Value = .Range("K5").Value + 1 End With End Sub Right click on the Excel icon next to file on the menu bar Choose view code The ThisWorkboo...

New record on a new day (re-post)
I seem to be having problems with this post, so I am going to try again. I need help in coding a form so that the following can happen: The scenario is that a user will open the form for the first time on Sept 21st, for example, and the form will be blank. Any subsequent times the user opens the form on Sept 21st it will default to the same record in the table for that day so that more information can be added to that record. On September 22nd, the form will be blank once again. I was given the following code to try: Private Sub Form_Load() On Error GoTo Error_Handler Dim db As DAO.Dat...

Automatically link to contacts

Records are not deleted in the database
Hi everybody, today we noticed when we are deleting records in the web client, they stay in the database with the value 2 in the DeletionStateCode Column. I guess normally this is the markup for some sort of job or service to clean these records, but apparently this never happens. We have deployed Rollup Package 2 which should include a hotfix for this problem, but no luck. Can anyone point us in the right direction or is this a (huge) bug? Thanks Christian On Feb 3, 5:51=A0pm, CGuntsche <CGunts...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi everybody, > > today we noticed whe...

Automatic Calculation #2
Why is automatic calculation keeps running even though there is no modification done in my spreadsheet? Thanks, Lucie Ch�nier What makes you think that excel is recalculating? If it's because you see Calculate in the statusbar, it could be... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=243495 XL: Calculate Message Remains in Status Bar If 65,536 Formula References "Lucie Ch�nier" wrote: > > Why is automatic calculation keeps running even though there is no > modification done in my spreadsheet? > > Thanks, > > Lucie Ch�nier -- Dave Peterso...

Workflow Engine -- Firing on Change to a Field in Existing Record
Hi, Has anyone found an acceptable work-around to fire off an automated workflow rule when a value in a field of an EXISTING record changes? Out-of-the-box you can only trigger rules to run when a record is created, the status changes (active or inactive) or run manually. Alan ...

automatically update budget list from source
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I created a checkbook worksheet similar to that of the ledger template given in excel. This is because I want to keep track of my checking account transactions here, but then separate them by the categories I give them. For example, if I have these categories: Car, Food, Supplies, Housing, then I want four separate budget lists (one for each category) to keep track of the expenses categorically. I assume these would be on four separate worksheets in a workbook, concluding with five worksheets (one for the sou...

Adjust scales automatically
Hi, How can I arrange it so that the x and y axis scales automatically adjust to different data within the same series? Eg say I make a chart that has the x axis (A1:A10) going from 1 to ten. If I paste in an x axis range going from 100 to 1000 how can i get the scale to adjust automatically? Thanks for help, N Jon Peltier has instructions for linking the axis scale to formulas on a worksheet: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html Nicole wrote: > How can I arrange it so that the x and y axis scales > automatically adjust to different data within t...

Problem automatically inserting "This page is intentionally blank.
Hello, We have some procedures documents and manuals that use odd-page section breaks to separate chapters. Obviously, when a chapter ends on an odd page, Word adds a completely blank page before the next chapter. In order to eliminate this problem, we'd like to add a page with the mention "This page is intentionally blank." at the end of any chapter with an odd page count. I found a great article on the MVPs site by John McGhie: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/TblsFldsFms/InsEvnPgEndChap.htm It works great on some of our documents, but on others there is a problem....

automatically import data from a cell in one workbook to another workbook

Subform skips to next record when explorer is opened
I have a subform used to input records to a table. There are several fields in the record. I have coding on the fields so that the user cannot skip to a new record without completing all the fields. However, when I open internet explorer, the subform automatically skips to a new record. What could be causing this? -- JLotz ...

How do you get rid of "The workbook you opened contains automatic links to information..."?
Sometimes the message "The workbook you opened contains automatic links to information in another workbook. Do you want to update this workbook with changes made to the other workbook?" pops up. When you don't need to update, you can just click No and move on, but how do you cancel the links for one and all so that this message does not pop up the next time you open the workbook? Kim, http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=FindLink.zip This is an add-in called Find Links. It can be used to find and remove external links in workbooks. Once the external links are rem...