AutoCorrection works in Word but not Access

We recently upgraded to Office 2003. Our users in Fire Prevention have
several codes set up in AutoCorrect. They work in Word but in Access, after
the first or second code, they stop. Any suggestions?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

We generally advise turning AutoCorrect off. It very often mangles good
data. Try typing "MU" (University of Michigan) for example and it will be
changed to "My"
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Miami" <Miami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We recently upgraded to Office 2003. Our users in Fire Prevention have
> several codes set up in AutoCorrect. They work in Word but in Access,
> after
> the first or second code, they stop. Any suggestions?

0
Arvin
7/25/2007 4:21:46 PM
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:21:46 -0400, "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote:

>We generally advise turning AutoCorrect off. It very often mangles good
>data. Try typing "MU" (University of Michigan) for example and it will be
>changed to "My"

Um... I used to live in Ann Arbor... and nobody called it MU!

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:21:46 -0400, "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote:
>
>>We generally advise turning AutoCorrect off. It very often mangles good
>>data. Try typing "MU" (University of Michigan) for example and it will be
>>changed to "My"
>
> Um... I used to live in Ann Arbor... and nobody called it MU!

UM is taken by the University of Maryland. :-p
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

0
Arvin
7/26/2007 11:57:38 AM
"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message
> "John W. Vinson" <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:21:46 -0400, "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote:
>>
>>>We generally advise turning AutoCorrect off. It very often mangles good
>>>data. Try typing "MU" (University of Michigan) for example and it will be
>>>changed to "My"
>>
>> Um... I used to live in Ann Arbor... and nobody called it MU!
>
> UM is taken by the University of Maryland. :-p

Interesting how here in Canada, the abbreviations usually include "of"

The University of Toronto is usually referred to as "U of T", not "UT".

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

0
Douglas

> Interesting how here in Canada, the abbreviations usually include "of"
>
> The University of Toronto is usually referred to as "U of T", not "UT".

It is in the US too, but only in speech. When you see it written as an
abbreviation, only the acronym is used. Besides Canada doesn't count. <g, d,
& r>
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

0
Arvin
7/26/2007 1:45:02 PM
AutoCorrect is buggy and can't always be relied upon, that's why we usually
advise turning it off. There are better alternatives. You can have the
AfterUpdate event do a lookup (using either DLookup or a recordset) and if
found, replace the value.
--

> Turning off AutoCorrect would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? I stated
> that
> they had "several codes" set up. Maybe I should have said they have
> hundreds.
> They want the AutoCorrect to work.
>
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> We generally advise turning AutoCorrect off. It very often mangles good
>> data. Try typing "MU" (University of Michigan) for example and it will be
>> changed to "My"
>> --
>> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> http://www.datastrat.com
>> http://www.mvps.org/access
>> http://www.accessmvp.com
>>
>> "Miami" <Miami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We recently upgraded to Office 2003. Our users in Fire Prevention have
>> > several codes set up in AutoCorrect. They work in Word but in Access,
>> > after
>> > the first or second code, they stop. Any suggestions?

0
Arvin
7/26/2007 3:58:17 PM
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:45:02 -0400, "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote:

>"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
>
>> Interesting how here in Canada, the abbreviations usually include "of"
>>
>> The University of Toronto is usually referred to as "U of T", not "UT".
>
>It is in the US too, but only in speech. When you see it written as an
>abbreviation, only the acronym is used. Besides Canada doesn't count. <g, d,
>& r>

http://www.umich.edu/

Big yellow letter M in logos, UM or U-M in print, UofM in speech.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:45:02 -0400, "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote:
>
>>"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Interesting how here in Canada, the abbreviations usually include "of"
>>>
>>> The University of Toronto is usually referred to as "U of T", not "UT".
>>
>>It is in the US too, but only in speech. When you see it written as an
>>abbreviation, only the acronym is used. Besides Canada doesn't count. <g,
>>d,
>>& r>
>
> http://www.umich.edu/
>
> Big yellow letter M in logos, UM or U-M in print, UofM in speech.

And to me, U of M is the University of Manitoba, in Winnipeg. I lived a few
blocks away from it for about 5 years.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no private e-mails, please)

0
Douglas

open two different Access reports

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Word 2004 overriding global prefs
Okay.. PMG5 running 10.4.6. I have a problem with the default page setup settings in two limited user accounts (my own, admin account, is fine). As I am in the UK, the global default paper size is set to A4. All applications respect this - bar Word. Every time it's fired up, and a new document selected, the paper size is always US Letter. This does NOT affect any other Office application. I have tried trashing prefs - I've even removed (using the supplied removal tool) and reinstalled Office. My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She wouldn't ...

opening a .docx with word 2004

Ctrl+D not working on outlook messages

compact database in VBA access 2007

LDAP Write access?

why does my spell check not work?
My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? In what program / version "karen" <karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA8883BD-0958-4AB0-93FF-F43E4FB9D176@microsoft.com... > My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? ...

Macro

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

Date function quit working

MS Access 2007 code not running