Attach/upload/link files to a form

I'd like to create an upload button in an access form that allows the user to 
upload a file, but I have a few questions:

1. Is this efficient? I'm assuming that if you upload multiple files on 
Access, there wouldn't be a lot of space available.
2. The reason I would prefer an upload is that I don't want to use the 
hyperlink option because hyperlinks can get broken either by a file being 
accidently moved to another directory or folder or simply changing the file 
name.
3. If uploading files onto an Access form -is- efficient and feasible, what 
kind of code would I have to write? I'd like to use a click event procedure 
and use a button called "Upload."

(These uploads would apply to extensions like pdf., xls, doc. etc, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated.
0
Utf
2/4/2010 7:28:10 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

3 Replies
2632 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 38

I'm having trouble visualizing what you're trying to do ...

What do you mean by "upload a file onto an Access form"?

Do you mean the data in a file, or a picture file?

More info, please...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

-- 
Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
does not constitute endorsement thereof.

Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
guarantee as to suitability.

You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
possible/necessary.

"Grasavong" <Grasavong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:5E0BA5E5-6D16-4834-B982-42FE83C5AA43@microsoft.com...
> I'd like to create an upload button in an access form that allows the user 
> to
> upload a file, but I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Is this efficient? I'm assuming that if you upload multiple files on
> Access, there wouldn't be a lot of space available.
> 2. The reason I would prefer an upload is that I don't want to use the
> hyperlink option because hyperlinks can get broken either by a file being
> accidently moved to another directory or folder or simply changing the 
> file
> name.
> 3. If uploading files onto an Access form -is- efficient and feasible, 
> what
> kind of code would I have to write? I'd like to use a click event 
> procedure
> and use a button called "Upload."
>
> (These uploads would apply to extensions like pdf., xls, doc. etc, etc.)
>
> Any help would be appreciated. 


0
Jeff
2/4/2010 8:42:48 PM
Jeff,
I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is this:
I have a form where I want to upload a file of some sort. I'm not trying to 
import data to a table or anything like that. Here's an example: Suppose 
you're a business who has to upload a certificate into a customer's website, 
and you click on the 'upload' button and browse where your certificate is and 
attach it.

I created a form for our Sales department to use to enter in customer 
information and I want to have a place where they can upload or attach prints.

But, I'm not sure attaching files into Access is very efficient because it 
would make the file too big and I don't want to do hyperlinks because the 
links get broken too easily. 
I hope I clarified it better, it does sound confusing.
Thank you,
Gwen Rasavong
"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> I'm having trouble visualizing what you're trying to do ...
> 
> What do you mean by "upload a file onto an Access form"?
> 
> Do you mean the data in a file, or a picture file?
> 
> More info, please...
> 
> Regards
> 
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
> 
> -- 
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.
> 
> Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
> guarantee as to suitability.
> 
> You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
> possible/necessary.
> 
> "Grasavong" <Grasavong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:5E0BA5E5-6D16-4834-B982-42FE83C5AA43@microsoft.com...
> > I'd like to create an upload button in an access form that allows the user 
> > to
> > upload a file, but I have a few questions:
> >
> > 1. Is this efficient? I'm assuming that if you upload multiple files on
> > Access, there wouldn't be a lot of space available.
> > 2. The reason I would prefer an upload is that I don't want to use the
> > hyperlink option because hyperlinks can get broken either by a file being
> > accidently moved to another directory or folder or simply changing the 
> > file
> > name.
> > 3. If uploading files onto an Access form -is- efficient and feasible, 
> > what
> > kind of code would I have to write? I'd like to use a click event 
> > procedure
> > and use a button called "Upload."
> >
> > (These uploads would apply to extensions like pdf., xls, doc. etc, etc.)
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated. 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
2/5/2010 3:19:01 PM
I guess I still don't get it ...

If there's a certificate, why would you only wish to "upload it to a form" 
.... and what do you mean by that?

Do you mean you wish to use a form as a "container" to (temporarily) display 
the certificate, but not save it?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

-- 
Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
does not constitute endorsement thereof.

Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
guarantee as to suitability.

You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
possible/necessary.

"Grasavong" <Grasavong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:8AE08A82-8428-44CB-B400-1B805CD09206@microsoft.com...
> Jeff,
> I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is this:
> I have a form where I want to upload a file of some sort. I'm not trying 
> to
> import data to a table or anything like that. Here's an example: Suppose
> you're a business who has to upload a certificate into a customer's 
> website,
> and you click on the 'upload' button and browse where your certificate is 
> and
> attach it.
>
> I created a form for our Sales department to use to enter in customer
> information and I want to have a place where they can upload or attach 
> prints.
>
> But, I'm not sure attaching files into Access is very efficient because it
> would make the file too big and I don't want to do hyperlinks because the
> links get broken too easily.
> I hope I clarified it better, it does sound confusing.
> Thank you,
> Gwen Rasavong
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> I'm having trouble visualizing what you're trying to do ...
>>
>> What do you mean by "upload a file onto an Access form"?
>>
>> Do you mean the data in a file, or a picture file?
>>
>> More info, please...
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>
>> -- 
>> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
>> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
>> does not constitute endorsement thereof.
>>
>> Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
>> guarantee as to suitability.
>>
>> You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
>> possible/necessary.
>>
>> "Grasavong" <Grasavong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:5E0BA5E5-6D16-4834-B982-42FE83C5AA43@microsoft.com...
>> > I'd like to create an upload button in an access form that allows the 
>> > user
>> > to
>> > upload a file, but I have a few questions:
>> >
>> > 1. Is this efficient? I'm assuming that if you upload multiple files on
>> > Access, there wouldn't be a lot of space available.
>> > 2. The reason I would prefer an upload is that I don't want to use the
>> > hyperlink option because hyperlinks can get broken either by a file 
>> > being
>> > accidently moved to another directory or folder or simply changing the
>> > file
>> > name.
>> > 3. If uploading files onto an Access form -is- efficient and feasible,
>> > what
>> > kind of code would I have to write? I'd like to use a click event
>> > procedure
>> > and use a button called "Upload."
>> >
>> > (These uploads would apply to extensions like pdf., xls, doc. etc, 
>> > etc.)
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>
>> .
>> 


0
Jeff
2/5/2010 4:16:24 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Newsreader links don't work after replacing antivirus/firewall software
I use Outlook2002 and it uses OE6 as its news reader. Since I installed McAfee Internet Security Suite 2006 8.0, nothing happens when I click a link on a news post. Links work fine when they are within an email. Al Clark On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:47:30 -0700, Al Clark wrote... > >I use Outlook2002 and it uses OE6 as its news reader. Since I installed >McAfee Internet Security Suite 2006 8.0, nothing happens when I click a link >on a news post. Links work fine when they are within an email. > >Al Clark > > I use a different brand but may want to check the port# r...

Auto Number for Form
Is there a way to auto number printed forms in Excel 2007? Example: mechanic worksheet that is printed in batches of 100. I need consecutive numbers on each copy. http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- David Biddulph "DHull" <DHull@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65454920-BAEE-4B51-B66D-A4E04B097E7D@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to auto number printed forms in Excel 2007? Example: > mechanic > worksheet that is printed in batches of 100. I need consecutive numbers > on > each copy. Hi , See ...

Calculated fields on a form
Hello I have a series of related tables (and the relationships work fine on the form) and I am trying to do a calculated field on a form : I have added a textbox and built the formula =[tblBrochures]![Quanity]-[tblOrders]![OrderAmt] both the variables are "single" But I get an error #Name? returned. ideally i would like to have the Quantity assigned the value of [tblBrochures]![Quanity]-[tblOrders]![OrderAmt]. Can someone please help? Are both of those fields, [Quantity] & [OrderAmt], bound to your form? If so, you can just omit the table names altogether. ...

automatically open ics attachments to go into calendar??
i get many emails with outlook appointments ics attached, the trouble is i have to manually open ics attachment then save it (for it to go into calendar). Is there a way or script to do this please shaunadams.mail@gmail.com <shaunadams.mail@gmail.com> wrote: > i get many emails with outlook appointments ics attached, the trouble > is i have to manually open ics attachment then save it (for it to go > into calendar). Is there a way or script to do this please You could just drag the attachment to the Calendar without opening it. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

I'm using about twice as many bytes of memory as the size of the file
Hi! I received this text marked with * below as an answer on a mail for several days ago when I used method CompressFile_1 for compressing file that is located at the bottom. *This will only work with text files, and you may even lose some information after going through the StreamReader and then the StreamWriter in case the file has some characters that don't fit into the default encoding that you are using. And besides, you read the whole file into memory before writing the compressed file. In fact, since the string is stored as Unicode, you are using about twice as many by...

Transferring a two column excel file into outlook
Is there a simple way to transfer an excel file which has two columns ,one for names the other for phone numbers, into my outlook address book? I have a excel file with over a hundred such entries and would rather not enter them individually, surly there is a simple way to do this. Any suggestions? Condo <theCONDOmanager@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there a simple way to transfer an excel file which has two > columns ,one for names the other for phone numbers, into my outlook > address book? I have a excel file with over a hundred such entries > and would rather not enter them in...

'save as' Excel attachment
When I try to do a 'save as' an Excel file that I received as attachment, the default save folder is an temporary internet folder. How can I change the default 'save as' folder? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ ...

How to convert ansi color code to html file?
Have any componet to do ansi<->html or rtf<->html?? Please show me some message ,Thanks! "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer@flounder.com> wrote in message news:vp89j0duqpp3784faotso3ld5km2onv9k9@4ax.com...> What's an "ansi color code"? > joe > > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 04:41:02 -0700, "Hugo" <Hugo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > >Have any componet to do ansi<->html or rtf<->html?? > >Please show me some message ,Thanks! > A way to color the command prompt with escape sequences. For example...

Single E.log file missing
Due to a virus checker, a single infected "E00000333.log" file has been deleted from my Exchange 2003 server (the C.\exchsrvr\mdbdata - directory). The Exchange server operates as usual, and I had no problems using NTBackup to backup the information store (the backup ended with no errors in the backup log). However the Exchange Server 2003 has only deleted "E*.log" files up to the number of the single missing infected file, - all later E.log files are still visible in the mdbdata directory. Do you have any idea how I can solve this problem? - Unfortunately the...

Attachments within KB (Knowledge Base)
I have a customer that has the need to attach files (docs, files, etc.) into the KB (KnowledgeBase) portion of CRM. I have the same question ... do you can help us ? Tnks in advance .. Karolina afraid not you cannot add notes to a kb article. You can add comments but these do not let you add attachments I hope this helps Andreas Donaubauer MCP seit 1999, MCSE, MCSA MVP f�r CRM andreas[at]donaubauer.com www.crmfaq.de "MichaelCWest" <MichaelCWest@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:CAFF2AF6-9E14-45AC-9123-311119DAA3D0@microsoft.com... > I have a ...

Outlook 2007 Task Form Insert Ribbon (Attach Group)
Does anybody know what happened to the Insert Tab on Task Forms in Outlook 2007. Even some Microsoft training materials show an Insert Tab on the form for new Tasks. However, I can't find any way to make it appear, though it does show up on new Appointment forms. Has somethiing changed perhaps? Thanks for any insight anyone has. Bill I see it here as the 2nd tab on an open task. There is no Attach group, = though. The group with attachment commands is called Include. = =20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turt...

Downloaded files not opening in Mac Excel 2008 (MIME/XML)
Hello all, I'm trying to open a downloaded file in Mac Excel 2008. The file is being downloaded from a web-app using Firefox 3.5.6. When I do so I get the following in the excel grid: From: Financial Reporting Export Subject: Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:21:07 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/related; type="text/html"; boundary="----=_NextPart_28248823" X-MimeOLE: Produced By Financial Reporting This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_28248823 Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8"...

Outlook stripping out attachments
We can send attachments using OWA but can not send any type of attachments through regular outlook. Outlook allows the attachment and sends it but the recipients do not get any attachments. Any help would be great Thanks. "lugsanr" <lugsanr@hotmail.com> wrote: >We can send attachments using OWA but can not send any type of attachments >through regular outlook. Outlook allows the attachment and sends it but the >recipients do not get any attachments. Try sending the message as "plain text" instead of "RTF". A message sent in RTF format ...

Running ISE to create a new file
When I try to run ISE to create a new file from the PS prompt: > ise newfile.ps1 I get an error that the file does not exist, which then proceeds into editing an untitled ps1 file. What I'd like it to do is create the new file if it does not exist. I'm sure that there's a simple way to do this, but I can't seem to find it. I suppose I could create a script or function to do it, but I would think that ISE could do this on its own. Suggestions would be appreciated. > Suggestions would be appreciated. Something like this maybe below... Now, oddly, I...

Create a new 2005 data file with 2004 settings.
Hello: I am using Money 2004. I would like to create a new data file for 2005 but retain my settings from the 2004 data file I currently have. Is there a way to do this? Basically I need to use the 2004 data file settings as a template for 2005. I want to retain my accounts, and various lists... Thanks Harold In microsoft.public.money, harold wrote: > >I am using Money 2004. I would like to create a new data file for 2005 but >retain my settings from the 2004 data file I currently have. Is there a way >to do this? Basically I need to use the 2004 data file settings as a ...

Certification txt attachment on incoming email
How do I get rid of the certification txt attachment which is showing on every email I get? I can no longer tell the difference between emails with attachments and those that don't. bobert;114747 Wrote: > How do I get rid of the certification txt attachment which is showing > on > every email I get? I can no longer tell the difference between emails > with > attachments and those that don't. One of two situatios apply. The first is that your senders are adding that certification and there's nothing you can do about that other than to ask them to...

Sum large recordsets in a form..?
Hi all, I have a recordset that's 15 000 records in a form. The reason that I want so many records is beacase I want to use filters. This works fine. But if I try to summarize 15 000 numeric values it takes very long time (1 minute). I have tried: Me.ControlSource = sum([Value1]) Is there a better and faster way? One idea is to generate SQL-code from the filters. Kent J. On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:22:22 GMT, Kent J <kent.johnson@telia.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >I have a recordset that's 15 000 records in a form. >The reason that I want so many records is beacase I want...

Using files from lotus 1-2-3
I am using Office 2003 with Microsoft XP Home Edition. I open files previously saved in Lotus 1-2-3 as *.XLS. I am able to edit and add data to the file, but when I print the file it has a dense, large, black overlay of the first characters in the file name, obliterating much of the data. This shows in the print preview and in the final printed copy. How do I eliminate this overlay? Hi Alpan, as far as I have learned during the past years the Lotus 1-2-3 converter to MS Excel is not quite good and has several issues. Have you ever tried to leave the Lotus1-2-3 file as it is and l...

increase a value in multiple spreadsheets without repeating a form
I would like to know if there is a way to select all sheets and select one cell. Set a formula to increase from one sheet to the next. For instance, =July 1, 2006+14. Have this automatically choose the previous sheet and add 14 days to the next sheet. Sheet one, july 1, 2006. Sheet 2, july 15, 2006. sheet three, july 29, 2006. etc.... Jeanine You can use a User Defined Function Function PrevSheet(rg As Range) 'Enter =PrevSheet(B2) on sheet2 and you'll get B2 from sheet1. Application.Volatile n = Application.Caller.Parent.Index If n = 1 Then PrevSheet = CVE...

Email field information for .msg file outside of Outlook
I have implemented a mailbox size limit for all users. Users found out that they could drag their emails to their network drives. These emails are .msg files, and they only display the subject of the email. Users now want to be able to view more information, at least the date that they recieved the emails. When I view the properties of the .msg files I only see the date that the files were moved instead of the date that they were received. Is there any way to get windows to display more information than the subject? If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, then you can en...

Major problem with attachments.
1.) I work on this text file at home. 2.) Wanting to work on it elsewhere, I email it to myself. 3.) Given the nature of the email program that received it, I had to copy and paste it in to Notepad to work on it. I finished what I wanted to, saved it, and then sent it back to myself. 4.) At home, I open it up. I do this on Microsoft Outlook XP. I read the message in the preview pane, and double-click the file's icon right above it. 5.) I edit the file a lot more. 6.) I save the file, simply by pressing CTRL + S. 7.) I close Notepad. 8.) I go to upload it to a website to get an opini...

Test if the same form isLoaded.
How can I test if the same form is already loaded? The following in frmTest always returns true. Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) If CurrentProject.AllForms("frmTest").IsLoaded = True Then Form_frmTest.visible = True Cancel = True End If End Sub I want to stop a second existence of a form opening / loading, and making the existing form visible if hidden. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-modules/201005/1 TonyAntique via AccessMonster.com wrote: >H...

Passwording a linked spreadsheet
Hi All, I've been asked to create a series of spreadsheets that link into one master spreadsheet. Each spreadsheet will have a summary column where the users will input what they want to see on the master spreadsheet. The master spreadsheet will then only show that field. However I want users to have access to the master spreadsheet but only selected personnel can have access to all of the seperate spreadsheets. I would like to password each of these files with a different password. Only problem is that when your in the master spreadsheet and you update the links, it asks for the pas...

Outlook 2003 blocking Word, Excel attachments
Have been thru all the help and online help which specifically says it does NOT block MS products, but mine does. When you try to open an attachment it says it is blocked for security and only allows you to save it. Everyone in my dept. has installed it from the same install, and I am the only one. I have tried repair and reinstalling from same with no change. Any ideas? ...

Corrupt e-mail attachments
I have a network where recepients over the Internet receive corrupted attachments from us. We run Outlook client with Exchange 5.5. It is an intermittent but persistent problem where attachments (e.g. Word of PDF) are received as corrupted files with a changed file extension ( usually .dat, Binary? ). Is this a virus? Software? Has anyone ever seen this problem? The situation is starting to reach critical mass. Have the senders use plain text or HTML, not Rich Text, to send the messages. float wrote: > I have a network where recepients over the Internet receive corrupted > attachm...