Append a column to a table

I have what i think is a simple task, but i am new to access and need
some advice. Basically, i am trying to use a table as a report and
need to update the table by adding a list of phone numbers as a new
column.

The table that has the phone numbers is alongside a list of provider
numbers, while the table that I need to append also contains those
same provider numbers (i.e., so the provider numbers should allow me
to link the data in somehow). The table that I wish to append does
have duplicate provider numbers, whereas the table with the phone
numbers DOES have duplicates.

What is the best way to simply add a new column to the table that
needs phone numbers displayed as a new column?

Thanks.

If I am looking at this the wrong way, feel free to provide any
insight.

0
Mike
3/20/2008 2:14:54 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

There is no best way to do this since it shouldn't be done.  You can achieve
the results you need by creating a query that joins the main table to the
phone number table.  Be sure to use a left join since there may be records
that do not have phone numbers.  When a record has multiple phone numbers, a
row will exist for each.  If you want only one type of phone number, try
using a query that only selects the phone number type you want and then join
that query to the main table instead of joining the phone number table
directly.  You will still need the left join.

In a relational database it is usually wrong to duplicate data.  Therefore,
you should not have the phone numbers stored in two places.

"Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have what i think is a simple task, but i am new to access and need
> some advice. Basically, i am trying to use a table as a report and
> need to update the table by adding a list of phone numbers as a new
> column.
>
> The table that has the phone numbers is alongside a list of provider
> numbers, while the table that I need to append also contains those
> same provider numbers (i.e., so the provider numbers should allow me
> to link the data in somehow). The table that I wish to append does
> have duplicate provider numbers, whereas the table with the phone
> numbers DOES have duplicates.
>
> What is the best way to simply add a new column to the table that
> needs phone numbers displayed as a new column?
>
> Thanks.
>
> If I am looking at this the wrong way, feel free to provide any
> insight.

0
PatHartman
3/20/2008 2:26:44 AM
Seems to me that if the data is already in your database, there's no need to
duplicate it. Just display what you want in a query. If you do actually need
to add the column, open the table in Design View and add the column, and
update query should be able to fill it, if the data already exists.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have what i think is a simple task, but i am new to access and need
> some advice. Basically, i am trying to use a table as a report and
> need to update the table by adding a list of phone numbers as a new
> column.
>
> The table that has the phone numbers is alongside a list of provider
> numbers, while the table that I need to append also contains those
> same provider numbers (i.e., so the provider numbers should allow me
> to link the data in somehow). The table that I wish to append does
> have duplicate provider numbers, whereas the table with the phone
> numbers DOES have duplicates.
>
> What is the best way to simply add a new column to the table that
> needs phone numbers displayed as a new column?
>
> Thanks.
>
> If I am looking at this the wrong way, feel free to provide any
> insight.

0
Arvin

Column Headings #11
Can you add seperate column headings (A, B, C, ...) into one spreadsheet? I'm attempting to alter the column sizes half-way through the spreadsheet w/out affecting the upper column sizes... Coolumn width belongs to the entire column and cannot be altered in separate sections of that column. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:51:01 -0800, spencer4hire <spencer4hire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can you add seperate column headings (A, B, C, ...) into one spreadsheet? >I'm attempting to alter the column sizes half-way through the spreadsheet >w/ou...

Text to columns

Update one table from another

Creating a table
There's probably an easier way to do it but... I have a series of numbers in column A (150 in all) and a series of letters in column B (22 in all). In total there are 4800 rows. What I am trying to do is create a table with the number down the left hand side and the letters across the top. In each cell within the table I need to count how many times the combination of number/letter appears. Eg: A B C 201 0 2 2 202 3 0 1 203 3 6 4 I tried combining the number/letter into a single text field using the CONCATENATE function then filtering ...

appending to CEdit
I have a CEdit control and I want to append text to it as follows: void CSerialPortDlg::debugf(char* format, ...) { char buf[4096]; // should be big enough va_list arglist; va_start( arglist, format ); vsprintf( buf, format, arglist ); va_end( arglist ); if( GetSafeHwnd() && m_edit.GetSafeHwnd() ) { m_edit.LineScroll( m_edit.GetLineCount() ); m_edit.SetSel( -1, 0, TRUE ); m_edit.ReplaceSel( buf ); } } This works fine until there is a lot of text in the CEdit control. After, oh I don't know, maybe 64k of data or so, it no longer adds any...

Column Reference to External Source As a Variable
Can anyone help me convert the column referenced in the formula below into a variable that the user can define? More specifically, I have several columns that I need to read from an external workbook (Short_Billy.xls). Each column to the right of column C represents an additional day out in a 14 day projection from today (whose data is held in column C). In cell I5 of my active workbook (Inventory.xls), I would like the user to be able to enter a value representing the number of days out they would like to see the projection for (0=today=Column C, 1=Tomorrow=Column D, etc.). In cell I6, I...

Finding all queries which use a table

Excel 2003 Copy/Paste filtered column
I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filtered column. It is not copying over the original filtered column but rather over cells that have been filtered out. The worksheet/cells are not protected. What could the problem be? Kind Regards Heather That's the way pasting works. It'll hit the visible and hidden cells. Heather wrote: > > I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, > changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filter...

how to automatically suppress space before after column break?
Having Spacing Before and After on some of the styles, I seem to be unable to have the space before at the beginning of a column automatically dismissed when applying a column break. I have tried a couple of options under compatibility, but to no avail. This in on Word 2003. The No HTML function + No Space Before after column break do not solve the problem. Can you help please? Tools | Options | Compatibility: Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break. If this isn't working, then check to make sure you don't have an empty paragraph before the first text pa...

matching columns of numbers

FP: Couldnt close table
We have been receiving this error on two separate PCs after a recent upgrade to 7.5. Our version is 7.50g43 (service pack 5). At first we thought it was isolated to one PC now a second PC is having the same error. On the first PC, I ran new network cable, installed a different network card with no help. This PC is Win98, 64MB RAM, 600Mhz. The second PC has 128MB RAM also Win98. I don't believe switching to XP is an option right now. This message has appeared in the payables module on both machines. But it has also appeared in receivables as well. Not in GL or Payroll. I...

Same Table cannot be the child table in two nexted relations...
I've been setting up a schema with the XML Designer in VS .NET 2003. The designer lets me set up a lot of things including a complex type that contains an unnamed complex type called modified. When I try to preview the dataset, I get an error described as "The same table (modified) cannot be the child table in two nested relations. I've run into this before with a different complex type, and I've changed the name of the instance of the type in the various elements it's used, and the problem goes away. In this case, problem is an unnamed complex type, so it only a...

Pivot tables and Macros
I was looking to be able to manipulate (ie change selections from the drop downs, not change the fields in the table or anything)and print from a pivot table using a macro. So how do I go about doing that? When I set up a macro by recording the actions that I want to do, I always get an error message when I try to run it as a macro. What specific steps are you recording, and what error message do you get? Can you click the Debug button, and see the line of code that is causing the problem? Dust For Eyes wrote: > I was looking to be able to manipulate (ie change selections from the >...

How to copy aQuery to a new Table?
I have a database in a Table, a report based on that same Table and a Query based on that Report. After two months or so I like, after some new data input, to save the Table into a new Object Table. What is the best way for the Report and Query to follow the new Table whitout recreating the original Report & Query? Thankyou for your comments. I use MS Office Access 2007. Joe T >>I have a database in a Table, a report based on that same Table and a Query based on that Report. Your phrasing is wrong when it comes to the elements of an Access database. A dat...

Count the text in a column
I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in another cell if it meets the text criteria Thanks! Do you mean count the characters? If so =SUM(NOT(ISNUMBER(A1:A20))*LEN(A1:A20)) as an array formula (committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Peter Curtis" <PeterCurtis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94C093C4-38DC-4989-846A-9352F3298B7C@microsoft.com... > I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in > another cell if it meets the t...

Pivot Table in Excel
hi, I have a problem using the pivot Table in excel 2000. Earlier the location of the pivot table in excel was pointing to say c:\sales.mdb. Now the location has changed to D:\Sales.mdb. someone please tell me the place to change in the excel to reflect the same. So that upon refreshing the document i can see the latest data. Currently i am getting a error message when i try to refresh, but its not prompting to change to alternative location. If i edit the excel file in a notepad...i can see the location pointing to c:\sales.mdb. Thanks in advance for any help regarding this..expect...

forms and column lengths
Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the row above?? Hi there's n o bulit-in feature for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Blair" <Blair@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C1D2CAAD-C4E9-492A-ADF4-CBDB659514A3@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row > when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the > row > above?? ...

pvt table field settings!
hi! i am receiving data every day from 10 different places as under.! for example: DATE 11.01.2009 PLACE "A" TOTAL NUMBER OF RECEIPTS 10 TOTAL OF RECEIPTS AMOUNT 1000 DATE 11.01.2009 PLACE "B" TOTAL NUMBER OF RECEIPTS 50 TOTAL OF RECEIPTS AMOUNT 1500 DATE 11.02.2009 PLACE "A" TOTAL NUMBER OF RECEIPTS 15 TOTAL OF RECEIPTS AMOUNT 1000 DATE 11.03.2009 PLACE "C" TOTAL NUMBER OF RECEIPTS 10 TOTAL OF RECEIPTS AMOUNT 1000 -likewise i'm receiving daily data from all the 10 places..! what i want is a pivot table report on a...

Selecting a column with an integer
Sub ColumnSelection() ' Selecting a column with an integer ' Please show me how to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) Dim r As Integer Dim c As String Dim numericcolumn As Integer Dim alphabetcolumn As String numericcolumn = 4 ' in practice 4 is the resultant of an equation alphabetcolumn = "=CHAR(" & numericcolumn + 64 & ")" Cells(1, 1) = alphabetcolumn ' I like to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) c = Cells(1, 1).Value ' I like to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) Cell...