Altering Combo Box Choices and the bearing on historical data....

I am wracking my brain trying to not screw up years of data in a database I
created at work. I need to updated some drop down menu choices and some that
have been used need to be eliminated. I am kind of brainfarting here and I
want to make sure that by changing these items or removing them that it will
not affect the historical data in the tables where the full records are kept.
I need some reassurance if at all possible.

I made a dummy database and have played around with it and it seems to
maintain the data but this is a little nervewracking. My only other option if
this would not work, is to archive the tables/data and I cant figure out how
i would compare new data with old data (Boss' wish there) not that it
completely makes sense to. The purpose of that is to have the option to find
the trends with the current back through such a time frame in what would be
the archived data in a one stop shop in lieu of dumping this that and the
other into Excel for comparison. Any reassurance/help is EXTREMELY
appreciated.

Thank you =)
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On 25 mrt, 12:27, Aso <A...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am wracking my brain trying to not screw up years of data in a database I
> created at work. I need to updated some drop down menu choices and some that
> have been used need to be eliminated. I am kind of brainfarting here and I
> want to make sure that by changing these items or removing them that it will
> not affect the historical data in the tables where the full records are kept.
> I need some reassurance if at all possible.
>
> I made a dummy database and have played around with it and it seems to
> maintain the data but this is a little nervewracking. My only other option if
> this would not work, is to archive the tables/data and I cant figure out how
> i would compare new data with old data (Boss' wish there) not that it
> completely makes sense to. The purpose of that is to have the option to find
> the trends with the current back through such a time frame in what would be
> the archived data in a one stop shop in lieu of dumping this that and the
> other into Excel for comparison. Any reassurance/help is EXTREMELY
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you =)

It is not possible to reassure you without knowing anything about the
database.

How is the combo populated?
Are the values in a table?
What relations come with that table?
What do you mean by altering the combo in the first place?

Groeten,

Peter
http://access.xps350.com
0
XPS350
3/25/2010 12:56:10 PM
Aso -

Can you help us understand the issue a little more?  You did not mention any
table changes, only menu changes.

If you are not making changes to the tables, then you should not be losing
any historical data.

If you are changing menu items, then you may be deciding to not use certain
forms, which means you may not be collecting that data going forward, so you
would have a problem comparing non-existent current data to historical data.

If instead you are changing values used in combo boxes or list boxes (rather
than menu choices), then you do need to think things out.  I assume you are
using values from a lookup table.  In that case, if you are trying to add or
remove items from a lookup table, I would suggest you add an 'ExpirationDate'
field to the table, and instead of deleting old items, put in an expiration
date.  Current items should not have an expriation date.  Then when you are
adding new records, the combo box should only include records without an
expiration date.  When viewing old records, you will still have the old
records in the table.

If your issue is something else, then please explain if any tables are being
changed, and give us an example of what is being changed and why you are
concerned.

--
Daryl S

"Aso" wrote:

> I am wracking my brain trying to not screw up years of data in a database I
> created at work. I need to updated some drop down menu choices and some that
> have been used need to be eliminated. I am kind of brainfarting here and I
> want to make sure that by changing these items or removing them that it will
> not affect the historical data in the tables where the full records are kept.
> I need some reassurance if at all possible.
>
> I made a dummy database and have played around with it and it seems to
> maintain the data but this is a little nervewracking. My only other option if
> this would not work, is to archive the tables/data and I cant figure out how
> i would compare new data with old data (Boss' wish there) not that it
> completely makes sense to. The purpose of that is to have the option to find
> the trends with the current back through such a time frame in what would be
> the archived data in a one stop shop in lieu of dumping this that and the
> other into Excel for comparison. Any reassurance/help is EXTREMELY
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you =)
My apologies to those trying to help me, I did leave out some crucial info.

The combo box is based off a look up table of values as code, classification
and description of the code for the user's understanding. Some of the codes
due to either a change in the manufacturing process or just improper naming
of the code to begin with could be the reason for requiring adjustment. We
have years of data based upon the coding but it is in need of
updating/cleaning up on many levels.

So we have...
Code      Classification     Description
D112      Dimensional      Total Runout
T96        Threads            Threads Non-gaging
S93        Stator               Cutback
S125      Stator                Rubber Cutback - Overcut (Short)
S126      Stator                Rubber Cutback - Undercut (Long)

I know an update to the description would alter all the records with that
code. However, a code like "S93" is now obsolete because it became "S125" and
"S126". Therefore, I would need to make S93 no longer an option. Training
only goes so far when dealing with so many people, so I would want to make it
where "S93" is no longer available for choosing. (Hope this is now making
more sense...)

Hmm expiration date. I had not thought of something along those lines,
though other than a person making a visual choice (because some many get used
to a number and fail to "look" before choosing) is there a way with the
expiration field to disable that choice so it would not show up on the field
choices?

Aso =)

"Daryl S" wrote:

> Aso -
>
> Can you help us understand the issue a little more?  You did not mention any
> table changes, only menu changes.
>
> If you are not making changes to the tables, then you should not be losing
> any historical data.
>
> If you are changing menu items, then you may be deciding to not use certain
> forms, which means you may not be collecting that data going forward, so you
> would have a problem comparing non-existent current data to historical data.
>
> If instead you are changing values used in combo boxes or list boxes (rather
> than menu choices), then you do need to think things out.  I assume you are
> using values from a lookup table.  In that case, if you are trying to add or
> remove items from a lookup table, I would suggest you add an 'ExpirationDate'
> field to the table, and instead of deleting old items, put in an expiration
> date.  Current items should not have an expriation date.  Then when you are
> adding new records, the combo box should only include records without an
> expiration date.  When viewing old records, you will still have the old
> records in the table.
>
> If your issue is something else, then please explain if any tables are being
> changed, and give us an example of what is being changed and why you are
> concerned.
>
> --
> Daryl S
>

> "Aso" wrote:
>
> > I am wracking my brain trying to not screw up years of data in a database I
> > created at work. I need to updated some drop down menu choices and some that
> > have been used need to be eliminated. I am kind of brainfarting here and I
> > want to make sure that by changing these items or removing them that it will
> > not affect the historical data in the tables where the full records are kept.
> > I need some reassurance if at all possible.
> >
> > I made a dummy database and have played around with it and it seems to
> > maintain the data but this is a little nervewracking. My only other option if
> > this would not work, is to archive the tables/data and I cant figure out how
> > i would compare new data with old data (Boss' wish there) not that it
> > completely makes sense to. The purpose of that is to have the option to find
> > the trends with the current back through such a time frame in what would be
> > the archived data in a one stop shop in lieu of dumping this that and the
> > other into Excel for comparison. Any reassurance/help is EXTREMELY
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you =)
Aso -

After adding an ExpriationDate fidl to the table, then in the combo box, set
the row source to something like this (use your table and field names):

Select Code from CodeTable WHERE ExpirationDate Is Null

Or if you show multiple columns:

Select Code, Classification, Description from CodeTable WHERE ExpirationDate
Is Null

--
Daryl S

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 07:38:01 -0700, Aso <Aso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My apologies to those trying to help me, I did leave out some crucial info.
>
>The combo box is based off a look up table of values as code, classification
>and description of the code for the user's understanding. Some of the codes
>due to either a change in the manufacturing process or just improper naming
>of the code to begin with could be the reason for requiring adjustment. We
>have years of data based upon the coding but it is in need of
>updating/cleaning up on many levels.
>
>So we have...
>Code      Classification     Description
>D112      Dimensional      Total Runout
>T96        Threads            Threads Non-gaging
>S93        Stator               Cutback
>S125      Stator                Rubber Cutback - Overcut (Short)
>S126      Stator                Rubber Cutback - Undercut (Long)
>
>I know an update to the description would alter all the records with that
>code. However, a code like "S93" is now obsolete because it became "S125" and
>"S126". Therefore, I would need to make S93 no longer an option. Training
>only goes so far when dealing with so many people, so I would want to make it
>where "S93" is no longer available for choosing. (Hope this is now making
>more sense...)
>
>Hmm expiration date. I had not thought of something along those lines,
>though other than a person making a visual choice (because some many get used
>to a number and fail to "look" before choosing) is there a way with the
>expiration field to disable that choice so it would not show up on the field
>choices?

You can (and certainly should!) base the combo, not directly on your table,
but on a Query. This query does not need to include all the records in the
table; if a code is obsolete, just don't include it in the query. You may need
to add a field (yes/no field "Active", an effective date, etc.) to use as a
criterion to select which codes should be included and which should not.

You may have to change the combo box properties - you don't say which is the
bound column, how it's sorted or what the column count is.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Then by using query for filtering out the one with "yes" and link to your
specific field in your desinated "form", it may help you from preserve the
old one and meanwhile controlling the "active" one to be display in your
combo.

Hope you can read my poor english

Sunny

"Aso" wrote:

> [...]
> > > have been used need to be eliminated. I am kind of brainfarting here and I
> > > want to make sure that by changing these items or removing them that it will
> > > not affect the historical data in the tables where the full records are kept.
> > > I need some reassurance if at all possible.
> > >
> > > I made a dummy database and have played around with it and it seems to
> > > maintain the data but this is a little nervewracking. My only other option if
> > > this would not work, is to archive the tables/data and I cant figure out how
> > > i would compare new data with old data (Boss' wish there) not that it
> > > completely makes sense to. The purpose of that is to have the option to find
> > > the trends with the current back through such a time frame in what would be
> > > the archived data in a one stop shop in lieu of dumping this that and the
> > > other into Excel for comparison. Any reassurance/help is EXTREMELY

 You know, thank you so much I honestly think I didnt flip the switch to "On"
in my brain this week.

Thanks to all for your help and responses. =)

Aso

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 07:38:01 -0700, Aso <Aso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My apologies to those trying to help me, I did leave out some crucial info.
> >
> >The combo box is based off a look up table of values as code, classification
> >and description of the code for the user's understanding. Some of the codes
> >due to either a change in the manufacturing process or just improper naming
> >of the code to begin with could be the reason for requiring adjustment. We
> >have years of data based upon the coding but it is in need of
> >updating/cleaning up on many levels.
> >
> >So we have...
> >Code      Classification     Description
> >D112      Dimensional      Total Runout
> >T96        Threads            Threads Non-gaging
> >S93        Stator               Cutback
> >S125      Stator                Rubber Cutback - Overcut (Short)
> >S126      Stator                Rubber Cutback - Undercut (Long)
> >
> >I know an update to the description would alter all the records with that
> >code. However, a code like "S93" is now obsolete because it became "S125" and
> >"S126". Therefore, I would need to make S93 no longer an option. Training
> >only goes so far when dealing with so many people, so I would want to make it
> >where "S93" is no longer available for choosing. (Hope this is now making
> >more sense...)
> >
> >Hmm expiration date. I had not thought of something along those lines,
> >though other than a person making a visual choice (because some many get used
> >to a number and fail to "look" before choosing) is there a way with the
> >expiration field to disable that choice so it would not show up on the field
> >choices?
>
> You can (and certainly should!) base the combo, not directly on your table,
> but on a Query. This query does not need to include all the records in the
> table; if a code is obsolete, just don't include it in the query. You may need
> to add a field (yes/no field "Active", an effective date, etc.) to use as a
> criterion to select which codes should be included and which should not.
>
> You may have to change the combo box properties - you don't say which is the
> bound column, how it's sorted or what the column count is.
> --
>
>              John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .

Combo boxes #12
I have a combo box in a form that lists all of the countries. I am trying to set it up so that if the user presses the first letter, it goes to the name of the first country with that letter and then if they press the same letter again, it goes to the next country that begins with that letter. I have the first part working, but the second part is not working. I press a letter once and it goes to the first country beginning with that letter, but when I press it again, it doesn't go to the next one. Is there a property to set in the form for that combo box to make it do this? -- LAF ...

mail.comcast.net box to enter username and password pops up every 15 seconds
I have a remote user/co-worker that has Comcast email. Every 15 seconds (we literally timed it) a box asking for a username and password pops up. I had him call Comcast for help, and they said it's a VPN issue, and they can't help. Any ideas on how to get this annoyance to go away? I'm terrible at remote help, and he's very computer illiterate :). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jilly Jilly <Jilly4@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a remote user/co-worker that has Comcast email. Every 15 > seconds (we literally timed it) a box asking for a username and &g...

Highlight Data Points that change in Graph
Hi all Is it possible to highlight data points that change slope in Excel 2003 and if so how. Richard ...

Display Text in the Data Area of a Pivot Table
I would like to simply display text in the data area of a pivot table without summarizing it. For example, take the following database: Date Time Instructor 8/9 8am Jones 8/9 9am Smith 8/10 8am Anderson 8/10 9am Doe ....etc and display it in a pivot table like so: | 8/9 | 8/10 --------------------------------- 8am | Jones | Anderson 9am | Smith | Doe thanks. ...

stretch text box very very little
In publisher on a calendar I use text box in the date square. Some I can stretch a very very little others stretch too much. How do I make them all so I can stretch them very very little. That way I can get them very close to the date box line and not go pass it. heritageheath wrote: > In publisher on a calendar I use text box in the date square. Some I can > stretch a very very little others stretch too much. How do I make them all > so I can stretch them very very little. That way I can get them very close > to the date box line and not go pass it. I'm entirely ...

alter the content of the from box in a message
in outlook my "from" box automatically defaults to the email from me and that is the email address issued to me by my ISP that I entered at inception. I want my default email to read a different email which corresponds not to my ISP but to my web site and email service by my web hosters? for example my outlook says that my emails are from blanchard@btinternet.com in my signature block i type my small company details and include my company website and my email which is mail@blanchardcon.com etc how do i get this email to appear as a default in the "from" box? Enter i...

Comparing data
There are 2 column in this query:- Column 1 Column 2 A A B C C E D D I want this 2 column to compare. If both A, display A, if different compare next 1...However, the result of the third column will give me all A,C,D without B and E included at the last row? Any idea to make them show all A,C,D,B,E? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com On Mon, 21 May 2007 02:19:56 GMT, "EMILYTAN via AccessMonster.com" <u33296@uwe> wrote: >There are 2 column in this query:- > >...

restoring exchange 2000 SBS stores to a differnt exchange box...
We are looking at dumping our SBS 2000 box and would like to set up a different win2K box with just the std version of exchange 2000 until such time as we can afford to upgrade to the newest version of exchange. I need to get this up and running asap.Can I setup my new win2k server, running the regular version of exchange 2000 and then once setup restore my sbs exchange 2000 information stores to this new box running the regular version of exchange 2000?? Are the information stores in the sbs 2000 version of exchange the same as the std version of exchange 2000 or will I run ...

Vlookup from Combo Box
Hello, I am trying to use the Vlookup function from a Combo Box. The combo box will contain currencies (USD, JPY, EUR). Once a user selects a currency, the lookup will use that currency to find the exchange rate from a table. Something like this =VLOOKUP("Forms.ComboBox1",Currency!A1:B4,Currency!B18,FALSE) Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks ACase If it's a Combo Box from the Control Toolbox toolbar, you can set the "LinkedCell" property (right-click on the combo box and go into "Properties") to a worksheet cell. When the user makes a select...

Data Entry to a Cell Range
Can I set up a data entry form, so if every time I enter a value in a cell, it updates the next empty cell in a range? Thanks Lets assume that the form is used to update cell A1. We require that everytime A1 is updated the new value will be recorded in column B. Put the following event macro in the worksheet code area: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim A1 As Range, t As Range Set A1 = Range("A1") Set t = Target If Intersect(A1, t) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Application.EnableEvents = False n = Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row...

Error in Data Migration Framework (DMF)
Help..... I am trying to upload 14,000 Account records using the Data Migration Framework, along with 6,000 Contact records. It was easier to use the DMF rather than the bulk import especially with the relationships between the records. I first trialled the DMF migration of these records on the May VPC image supplied by MS and it all worked fine. However now that it is being run in a pre-production environment on full sized servers I am having problems. Approximately half of the account records, and all the contact records have been uploaded successfully. Half of the account recor...

Increase data type size in GP table?
I don't know whether this is supported or not, but we're planning to roll out the HR module on GP9, and one of the fields that is missing for job applicants is an email address. We'd like to use an extra field to hold this data, but the field length is too short to adequately contain that information. I'm wondering if I can change the length defined in the SQL table structure for that particular column, or, if doing so will likely mess up something else (stored procedures, mappings, etc.). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! Technically, yes. However, if you do that, you...

how can we transfer data from child dialog box to parent Dialog Box. #2
hi guys, i have created modalless child dialog box by parent dialogbox using UI Thread . now i want to do 2 things first i want to transfer CPoint variable from child to parent and second i want to call OnLButtonDown() function of parent DialogBox. i have hint but not proper please help me to complete this one. SendMessage(m_pParent, WM_LBUTTONDOWN, x,y); // from child side void CHRS_MoleDlg::OnLButtonDown(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) //on parent dialog box first of all tell me is it possible if yes then what will be "x" and "y" so that they can convert into CPoint v...

Data format in pivot table
I am running a Pivot table on some swim data. Even though the data is formatted the same way "mm:ss.00", the fraction of the second is not showing up or is not part of the numbers in the Pivot table. Pivot table data Back 25 Breast 25 Fly 25 00:31.00 00:27.00 00:28.00 00:31.00 00:33.00 00:31.00 00:36.00 00:31.00 00:27.00 00:28.00 00:23.00 00:25.00 00:24.00 Data the Pivot table is based on 7 CMSA-SE 00:21.87 00:21.49 6 BMAC-SE 00:22.95 00:21.91 7 BMAC-SE 00:23.13 00:22.16 6 BMAC-SE 00:27.97 00:22.63 8 BMAC-SE 00:21.07 00:22.70 7 UN-SE 00:00.00 00:22.94 6 CMSA-SE 00:26.36 00...

Data type on import wizard not active
Hi there, Hopefully, someone can help me with this. I'm using the importing an excel 2003 into access 2003. Using the import wizard to import the excel 2003 spreadsheet. everything is fine until i get to the field options: dialog box. The Data type drop down isn't active. What can i do to make this drop down option active. Thanks for your help This is a known issue for ACCESS 2002 SP3. This issue is described in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875252 There is a Hotfix available for ACCESS 2002 from Microsoft Technical Support for this problem. Descr...

Message-Data file not properly closed???
Upon boot of Outlook, EVERYTIME, I get this message--Data file did not close properly the last time it was used and is being checked for problems. Performance might be affected by the check in progress. When I leave Outlook, I have made sure to close all files and exit properly. Is there some reason this happens? I even go back to my main screen now. Is there something more I should be doing. Did the file checking finish before you closed Outlook? If not, it will continue/restart the next time you start Outlook. If it still does this after the checking has completed, the...

Can you enter a formula in a chart data series?
I am referencing a column of data into a chart. How do I perform an operation on the data before it is entered into the chart? For example, I want the row of data to be divided by 1000, and then charted. HELP! This is driving me crazy! -- Shirley Hi, The simplest way is to use a helper column and formula to alter your data and then chart that. You can not directly apply formula to the data series within the chart. Cheers Andy Shirley wrote: > I am referencing a column of data into a chart. How do I perform an > operation on the data before it is entered into the chart? For...

Subreport Data Listing Twice for Each Report Record
On a report & subreport pair, the subreport data is listing out twice, and I can't seem to sort out why. Any suggestions appreciated. -- Thanks, tbl tbl wrote: >On a report & subreport pair, the subreport data is listing >out twice, and I can't seem to sort out why. Does the subreport diplay two records? If so, the problem is that your main report's record source query has a Join to the subreport's data source. -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] in article bq9q83pdvsepjusn44j91g84rpveu5a9bk@4ax.com, Marshall Barton at marshbarton@wowway.com wrote on 7/5/07 1:18 PM...

Using Drop Down box that can be edited
Hi, I have created a form in Word 2007, but would like to have the drop down box I created to also be overwritten by the user if the items in the drop box doesn't include their choice. Thanks fjcunninghamjr One possibility would be to replace one of the items in the list with a user input item. You could do this with a macro run on exit from the dropdown field Assuming the dropdown field Dropdown1, put an item at the end of the dropdown list "Enter your own value" then run the following macro on exit from that field Dim sChoice As String Dim fDD As FormFie...

How can I get data from an entity via java script
How can I get data from an entity via java The problem: I have a new entity with alle zipcodes and cities/countries. I want it to be so that if a person enters data in the zip code on account or contact that city and state automatically is filled with corresponding data from the new zip code entity. How can I do this, java script ?` Any ideas appriciated ! Jack -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere. Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at f� 13991 spam-mails Betalende brugere f�r ikke de...

Mapping one custom attribute to another and filling the data
I have created two new attributes (Net Commission) one under leads and one under oppurtunity. I did not realilze that although I created the two same attributes I did not create a relationship between the two. Now there is data in one that is not in the other. Basically the oppurtunities section contains all the data because that is the form that lets the user input this info. The leads attribute for net commission is basically blank. I would like to be able to create a relationship between the two attributes and copy over any of the data that has been entered into the oppurtunities se...

Drawing a selection box using CRectTracker
Hello, I have an MFC SDI CView application and I want to draw an selection box when the user left clicks and move the mouse. I have found the CRectTracker class but I can't get it to work I have this code: void CSCMLaserView2::OnLButtonDown(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { SetCapture(); m_startPt = point; m_theRectTracker.TrackRubberBand(this,point,TRUE); } void CSCMLaserView2::OnLButtonUp(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { //Release the capture on the mouse ReleaseCapture(); CSCMLaserDoc* pDoc = GetDocument(); ASSERT(pDoc != NULL); CClientDC dc(this); OnPrepareDC(&dc); // Co...

Grouping & Moving Data
I have a spreadsheet with data in the following format on sheet1: Col A col B 1 pos 2 pos 3 pos 4 neg 5 pos 6 neg 7 pos 8 neg 9 pos etc etc - possibly upto 1000+ rows Each group of 3 are results of different tests on the same sample. (In reality there are currently12 different results for each sample) I need to convert this on to sheet 2 to read as follows: A B C D etc 1 pos pos pos 2 neg pos neg 3 pos neg pos etc etc Any ideas how to do this ? Thanks Joh -- Message posted from http://www.Ex...

form: data input locking up
Hello all... I have a form which was working fine until a few hours ago. The form has several sub forms. However, those are working fine. I am unable to edit/add/delete records on the main form. This is a front end database, with the main data storage on a network. I moved the data starage DB onto my local drive, reset the links and experienced the same problem. The form is not based on a query and writes directly into a data table. The form is normally called up (filtered) through code. however, I experience the same problem when I open it up directly (without filtering the re...

SQL Query to transform/group data by Date
Hi, I have a large Access table with data organised as follows: Field1: Code Field2: Date Field3: Value1 Field4: Value2 There are seveal different codes and therefore duplicate dates. I'd like to run a query to bring back each code grouped by date and so put the codes along the top as feilds. For example the query below brings back the following data for two codes. SELECT field2, field1, field3 FROM Data WHERE field1 In ('LLOY','RSA'); 21/01/05, LLOY, 12454 22/01/05, LLOY, 31541 21/01/05, RSA, 21241 22/01/05, RSA, 12414 Instead I want the data to look like this: ...