Adding detail to record in a table in a secondary table

I have a table with acts payable records that basically have vendor ID,
Invoice Number, Invoice Date, Invoice Total.  How can I create another table
that would have several records of data pertaining to above record that would
attach itself to the record. (Invoice Header / Invoice Data).  Thank you.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:21:04 -0800, ramudo <ramudo@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a table with acts payable records that basically have vendor ID,
>Invoice Number, Invoice Date, Invoice Total.  How can I create another table
>that would have several records of data pertaining to above record that would
>attach itself to the record. (Invoice Header / Invoice Data).  Thank you.

That depends entirely on a) what the table would contain and b) what you plan
to do with it.

As a rule, the hair on my neck starts to stand up when I see a fieldname like
[Invoice Total]. With very, very few exceptions, totals should never be stored
in a table; they should be calculated on the fly (e.g. by summing the records
in an InvoiceDetail table).

In any case you're perhaps starting this design in the middle. Relational
design starts with you sitting out of reach of your computer keyboard, with a
pad of paper and a #2 pencil, identifying the real-life Entities (people,
things, or events) of importance to your database. Each type of Entity gets
its own table, with Fields for each distinct, nonrepeating, atomic chunk of
information - "Attributes" is the jargon term - of importance to your
application. When you have defined these tables, you would identify how they
are related, logically, based on the meaning of the data (e.g. each Invoice
involves the sale of one or more Products; each Product may appear on zero,
one or more Invoices; a Product cannot appear more than once on the same
Invoice but may appear in multiple Invoices). Only then do you start actually
creating tables!

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Search Tables
My client would like to have 6 or so combos on a form, in which they can query any field from any table, and export the results to excel. yikes. i figured the first combo, i can do a list of available tables (tests). then when they select a test, the combos will list all available fields within that table. any idea on a systemic way to accomplish this without manually typing in everything to a table? thanks John -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/201005/1 Sigh ... Show them how to use the Query Builder...

inserting a new record from a pop-up, and returning to the main form at that record.
I have some code that reads: go to next record, if the next record is a new record, based on the value of the previous record, assign a specific value to a particular field OR open a modal form that offers some choices for the value to be assigned in both cases, if the new value is "X" , assign the new value to that record, and then add another new record with a value of "X+1" assign to the field (and go tot hat record for edits) I have no problem doing this when I am in the first situation (not needing to open the second form), but from the second form, ...

adding quickpad layouts on MIcrosoft POS
Does any one know how to create new layouts? ...

update a table from a form
HELP!!!!! OK, I have an parts inventory database that when the maintenance people need a part, they look up the part and they need to enter a qty that they took. There are also fields that show how many were ordered, received. I have the form set up so that the QtyAvail = [qtyreceived]-[qtyused] and that works fine.....once. I know we shouldn't store calc data in a table, but how can I keep a running total of my inventory and also be able to run a report showing all my parts, their qty's, etc... I'm desperate! Are there any good inventory templates out there? Thanks, Bill R....

Offline Terminal DataBase + Custom Table #4
Anybody does not have idea? "Math" wrote: > Hi, > > The table name is : ItemPrix , ItemPrixRemise. > The server name is : gesboutm > The database name is : RMS_STORE2 > The offline srever is : aures_1542 > The database offline name is : RMS_OFF > > Thanks > > Math > > "Akber Alwani" wrote: > > > HI Math, > > > > Off course MS not take care what you have added or deleted your own as this > > custom table is your own creation so there is nothing or not talk how it goes > > by automatically but ...

Experts pls !!! problem in Adding items to a subclassed CListCtrl class
Hi, I am adding item to a subclassed class of CListCtrl. What is teh correct place to add items in subclassed CListCtrl Class . I did the folowing steps.Pls let me know where I am goin wrong. 1.In a MFC Doc view with Form view,dragged the CList Control in the view. 2.Created a class from the class wizard MyListtrlwith base class CListCtrl. 3.Add a message handler for OnLButtonDown for MyListtrl and added a Message Box 4.Then in resource view selected teh clistcrl and add memebr variable and this time selected MyListtrl and named it m_myListCtrl; 5.When I executed the app,I get message ...

Allow Temporary Edits In Form To Table Values
Hello all! I'm looking to allow a user to edit some values that are initially pulled from a table, but I do not want those table values updated. Reasoning: The form pulls the number of hours a job will take and a cost per hour then calculates the total cost. Usually both of pulled numbers can be reduced for a discounted total cost. I'm trying to allow the user to calculate what the discounted rate would be. What I've Done So Far: I've tried assigning the boxes to the fields, but then any changes are reflected in the tables. I've tried setting the val...

Pivot Tables and Charts
Hello May I please ask for your kind help? I have 5 variables - a, b, c, d, and Fitness. When I create a Pivot Chart, with Fitness=height, I obtain one chart with ONE surface. It is very useful to plot everything on one chart, however I would like to plot several surfaces on the chart. In other words, to me a surface is a 3D plot of variable Fitness vs variables a and b, holding values for variables c and d constant. Example 1. Suppose variable c can take on 3 values, and variable d can take on 4 values. This means that there can be 3*4=12 combinations of variables c and d. ...

delete query
Hello, i am trying to delete (in delete query) records in a table. where in the delete query the table is join (3 inner) to a query (select). i get the message . . . "could not delete from specified table" is it posibble ? where i am wrong ? Thank's תודה רבה "יריב החביב" <yarivr@tasmc.health.gov.il> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BE7CFAB6-2E5E-460B-9D1A-198AA0281090@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > i am trying to delete (in delete query) records in a table. > > where in the delete query the table is join (3 inner) to a q...

Query AD
Hy, there is some tools that i can use to query the active directory? I need to know if users are members of some groups or not. Thanks Kentucky On 21 Nov 2006 05:56:58 -0800, "Kentucky" <aforino@libero.it> wrote: >Hy, there is some tools that i can use to query the active directory? >I need to know if users are members of some groups or not. >Thanks >Kentucky ldp.exe (Windows Support Tools Download) adfind (you can google that) are two popular tools On 21 Nov 2006 05:56:58 -0800, "Kentucky" <aforino@libero.it> wrote: >Hy, there is some to...

Filtering in the page field of a pivot table
I have two separate fields in the page field section of my pivot table. How can I set it up so that once you have chosen a value in the drop down box of the first field, only values relating to the first field appear in the drop down box of the second ? At the moment all values appear in the drop down box of the second field, regardless of what you have chosen in the first. Hope this makes sense ! There's no setting that will filter one page field based on the selection in another page field. Tim wrote: > I have two separate fields in the page field section of my > piv...

Looking up corresponding entry in table?
I am wondering if I can combine the MIN()/MAX() and *LOOKUP() functions to perform the following task. Suppose I have a table of data (2D) and want to use the MIN()/MAX() functions to pick out the min and max values in the Y-column respectively. Furthermore, suppose I want to pick out which X-value produced those values. Can this be done? Mike In A1:A6 (my x-values) I have some numbers; likewise in B1:B6 (my y-values) The lowest B value is 3 and it occurs in B4, next to this in A4 is the number 13 The formula =MIN(B1:B6) returns the value 3 (lowest value in the range) The formula =MATCH...

adding comment lines to SOP Invoice
I am trying to find a way to add about 6-10 lines of comments to the SOP Invoice. I have tried the Comment ID detail but can't seem to find a way to get more than four lines to print. I tried using report writer to stretch out the fields but no luck. Any suggestions? JO, Try adding Comment Text from the Sales User-defined Work/History table. HS "JO" <jo'neal@naumes.com> wrote in message news:1105993067.034166.38700@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to find a way to add about 6-10 lines of comments to the > SOP Invoice. I have tried the Comment I...

creating a report for an access pivot table
Hello, Could anyone advise me on how to create an access report for a pivot table that was created using access. I tried using subreports but I could not export the pivot table to neither word nor excel... Thank you very much. Nora hi Nora, On 19.02.2010 14:20, noorhanabbas wrote: > Could anyone advise me on how to create an access report for a pivot table > that was created using access. > I tried using subreports but I could not export the pivot table to neither > word nor excel... Do you want an Access report or an Excel export of it? The Excel expor...

Recording myself talk and have background music playing PPT 2007
Hello all, I need to record myself over a PPT but would like background music playing at a lower volume than me speaking. How can I do this with PPT 2007? Sincerely, Geo Record the narration using Slide Show | Record Narration. (I wouldn't use Rehearse Timings in conjunction with Record Narration.) Then add the music background to the presentation separately using Insert | Sound | Sound from File. I believe it will need to be an MP3, not a WAV, because your narrations will be WAVs. On the Sound Tools Options tab that appears when you select the sound icon on the sl...

Opening a database at last used or visited record
Please advise how this might be done if it is possible. Thanks Roy. On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:21:43 +1300, "royfarnol" <royfarnol@kol.co.nz> wrote: >Please advise how this might be done if it is possible. > >Thanks Roy. You'll need to provide a lot more information than that! A database can contain hundreds of tables; do you want it to open every table at the "last used"? What constitutes "used" - last entered, last edited, last viewed onscreen? What are you actually trying to accomplish with this? -- John W. Vinso...

Adding Sound to Outlook 2000 Email
Is it possible? Does one have to use a certain type of email message then (plain, rich, office- add-in), or what? Confused.... I'd like to have the sound played while the email is opened...not as a file attachment. Are you trying to send an email and want the sound played when someone receives it? OR do you want a sound played when you open a particular email. If you want sound played when you open an email, you will have to setup a rule using the Tools, Rules Wizard and then specify what you want to happen when an email arrives for you. If you need the entire steps let me know...

Passing variable between tables
Is there a way where I can pass a variable between tables? What I'm trying to do is create a login program. The field I want to used is called [userlevel]. I then want to load the other table menu program based on the userlevel of the login. I don't know if this can be done or not. I'm really not familiar with the Access Security section to try that. I tried it one time and had to uninstall Office and then reinstall it so I could get at my programs. I read an article on Access Security by Joan Wild and it seems easy enough. I just need to be able to get to my programs a...

Comparing Tables 02-22-10
I have looked at the postings for this but don't quite understand. I have an excel doc that is now a table used in DB. There are several fields, Carrier, Client_Name, Appeals_Phone, Fax, Comp_Add2, City, State, Zip I get a revised table every quarter and would like to compare the old and new and see what changes there are. For example Carrier 1234, Client Sesame Street, Appeals_Phone 999-999-9999, Fax 123-456-7890, Comp Ses St, Add2 1234 Big Bird Lane, Yardley, PA, 12346 Now a new list comes in and the address is different 4567 Big Bird Lane. How do I run a query against the 2 ...

Data in Tables updates every 15 mins
I receive data every 15 mins in an Excel database format in the form of an attachment to an email.. I would like to be able to use this file as a dynamic base file used in an ACCESS file/program. Any ideas on how to get this data in the email attachment into Access every 15-30 mins automatically? You will need to break this task into bite-sized chunks, and conquer each task. I would start by trying out Helen Feddema's sample: Saving Email Attachments to an Access Table (See # 123) http://www.helenfeddema.com/access.htm Hopefully, the structure of t...

Adding Actual Start, Start, Baseline Start, Actual Finish, Finish, Baseline Finish to the Cube: how?
Hi All, I was playing with the Cube in Project Server and I cannot find out any cube that shows me basic task information like: - actual start - start - baseline start - baseline1 start etc. etc. how can I add those extra measures to a cube??? any suggestion to create a report like that?? thanks all Vit ...

Update Fixed Assets records through Integration Manager
There should be an option in Integration Manager to update the Fixed Assets records. Currently, Integration Manager does not have this option. ...

automatically delete records w/duplicate address in excel
Don't have MS Access. I have a voters list......w/lot of records with duplicate addresses. IE married couple both vote and live at same address. I only need one record for each address. How can I automatically delete each record w/duplicate address keeping 1 record with that address? First off, do not work on the original file. Work on a copy!! Go to Chip Pearson's site for a macro to do this http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm "PUSH" wrote: > Don't have MS Access. > I have a voters list......w/lot of records with duplicate addresses. > IE married...

access 2003 jumps to first record of form when switching to another application
Hi, does anyone know what causes access (2003) to jump to the first record of a form when you switch to another application? I have a main form with a tab control. Each tab has various forms/subforms. This behavior is happening with single forms, continuous forms, and datasheet forms. It's really disconcerting when your working on a record to have the application jump to another record everytime you switch to another app. The database is split into front/backend. Many Thanks Is there any code in the Activate event of the form? -- Bob Larson HTH :) ____________________________________...

I created a table of contents and it includes words from figures
My table of contents keeps showing words from figures. I have demoted the text to body text, deleted it, etc. It keeps showing up in the table of contents. Presuming that you have refreshed the TOC (F9), it suggests that the 'words' are formatted as a Heading Style. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Nootech" <Nootech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72B0C6B3-3236-46B0-877C-695383BB9F05@microsoft.com... > My table of contents keeps showing words from figures. I have demoted the > text to body text, deleted it, etc. It keeps show...