adding an image to an access databse

how do you add an image, a photo, to a database that i've set up?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

What version of access are you using?
--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault
http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:08:01 -0800, Alana <Alana@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>how do you add an image, a photo, to a database that i've set up?

Where do you want to add it? In a table? as an image on a form or report? or
what?

And what version of Access? Note that all versions before 2007 handled images
VERY inefficiently; they'd rapidly bloat the database to enormous size, and
were really impractical. 2007 is much better but images are still very much
larger than text or numbers, and you're limited to 2GByte in a database so you
do need to be careful (not *too* many images, and not *too* large).
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:08:01 -0800, Alana
<Alana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Generally speaking it is better to store the path to a picture, and
leave the picture itself in the file system.
You can also store the relative path, relative to some root folder.
That makes it simpler to move your image catalog around.

If you must store it in the db, check out the Northwind sample
application, Employee form.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>how do you add an image, a photo, to a database that i've set up?
0
Tom
2/9/2010 3:41:52 AM
"Alana" <Alana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

 > how do you add an image, a photo, to a database that i've set up?

The sample imaging databases at http://accdevel.tripod.com illustrate three
approaches to handling images in Access, and the download includes an
article discussing considerations in choosing an approach. Two of the
approaches do not use OLE Objects and, thus, avoid the database bloat, and
some other problems, associated with images in OLE Objects.

If you are printing the images in reports, to avoid memory leakage, you
should also see MVP Stephen Lebans' http://www.lebans.com/printfailures.htm.
PrintFailure.zip is an Access97 MDB containing a report that fails during
the Access formatting process prior to being spooled to the Printer Driver.
This MDB also contains code showing how to convert the contents of the Image
control to a Bitmap file prior to printing. This helps alleviate the "Out of
Memory" error that can popup when printing image intensive reports.

And, Stephen has an ActiveX control available that works in cases where the
graphics filters are not available -- and works better, I've heard, than the
OLE Object and OLE Controls.

Please note that there are other approaches, e.g.,
Application.FollowHyperlink, but those, like OLE and Bound OLE Frames still
leave you "at the mercy of the imaging software registered for the
filetype".

Finally, Access 2007 has enhancements that, reputedly, eliminate the
database bloat long associated with OLE Objects and Bound OLE Frames.  But,
it still leaves you relying on the software registered for the image type,
which may not be as "cooperative" as we'd like in creating our display.  It
also has the capability of having a variable number of Attachments to a
Record, which may be helpful.  But, as I have not done much with it yet, I
certainly wouldn't suggest you rush out and replace an earlier version of
Access.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Office Access MVP

0
Larry

Unable to save GIF images fro outlook express
Dear friends, I'm accesing mails only through oulook express. I cannot able to save the GIF files in my hard disk from my outlook express. By default it saves as a BMP file. In BMP files the animation is not found in the images. How can i save a GIF file from outlook express.Please help me out. Thanks in advance. ...

ad distribution group with non ad mail accounts
I need to set up an AD distribution group with members that are not in AD. Is this possible? yes...create the mail-enabled contacts first, then add them to the DL... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Brandon Baker" <brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:e8zY8Kp#FHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I need to set up an AD distribution group with members that are not in AD. > Is this possible? > > ...

Adding 30 Days on receipt
Does anyone know the process of creating a custom date on a reciept so that it automatically counts 7, 14, or 30 days from the particular transaction date. I would like to add a custom message at the bottom of my reciept...eg) If todays transaction date is 8/21/08 the meassage at the bottom would read you have until 8/28/08 to return your merchandise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Scott Head of Operations TT New York LLc ...

Copying Excel to Access after SP3 Install
Hi, has anyone seen a problem in which it is no longer possible to copy Excel spreadsheets to Access after installing Win2000 Service Pack 3? ...

Can't Create An Indexed Field in Access
Hi, I've got a table in access with around 600,000 rows. I need to make many many lookups from the table and so indexing it is important for runtimes. I can index the other 6 fields in the table but one field I can't index. The one in question has around 60 distinct values in it and a datatype of integer. Whenever I try to index it Access freezes (one blue box appears in the progress bar on the status bar). I've tried indexing it using SQL, through the table design view and through the Indexes dialogue. I've also tried changing the field name. Anyone got any ideas...

My Access database gets bigger each time I open it
Each time I use my Access 2007 application it increases in size whether or not I add data. I have to use "Compact and Repair" each time to keep its size down. This happened with the previous Access 2003 version and also with the Runtime version I've just created. How do I stop this happening? You don't stop it. Every time that the database opens after a compact, it recompiles the code and queries as they are used. This causes increases in the database size, as does adding data. Unless you are storing large binary objects, or doing design work, the size should not inc...

Adding Lists to Lists
I have three classes. Among other properties, these classes contain the following lists: ---- public class QuestionsForm { public IList<SubCategories> SubCategoriesList { get; set; } } public class SubCategories { public IList<Questions> QuestionsList { get; set; } } public class Questions { public IList<ResponseOptions> ResponseOptionsList { get; set; } } ---- QuestionsForm questionsForm = new QuestionsForm(); questionsForm.SubCategoriesList = new List<SubCategories>(); foreach (var subCateg...

Upload Documents from Access
I am working in Access 03 and am trying to develop a tool that will allow browsing to find and upload a document, which will then be loaded into a public SharePoint. I don't want it to be stored in the actual database, more to make access the gateway between the two documents, for the users of the application. Does anyone know how I can do this, or something comparable? ...

Report showing which users have access to a particular window/repo
Is there a report that can be printed (or a particular table that can be looked at) that will list all users that have access to a particular window or report? We're on GP 10, upgraded from GP 9, so all the roles and tasks are CNV_..... In particular, we need a quick and easy way to see which users have access the the payroll check history report. Sure there is. Abreviated instructions follow but detailed ones can be found in our Dynamics GP Security Handbook on page II-38. Load the Security Resource Table first by going to Maintenance, select Clear Tables (BE CAREFUL)...

how do I print background colours and images in PowerPoint and XL
I am trying to print PPT 2007 (and Excel 2007) slides/sheets with backgrounds but the backgrounds are not appearing. I have located an option in Word to switch them on/off but cannot find the same option in either PPT or XL. ...

Adding With If Statements
I need some assistance please. I have dollar amounts in column C and "Y" or "N" in column D. I need to add all dollar amounts in column C that have a "Y" in column D. I know it requires an "IF" statement, but I can not figure it out and neither can my friends. -- Thank you very much ...

trying to find mailheaders in outlook web access
I am getting mails in webmail, but can't find how to view the mailheaders ijn Outlook Web Access. Even forwarding the mail to my normal account doesn't clear things up. Rutger ...

How to create an HTML MIME with embedded images
Sorry for the cross postings, but I'm getting nowhere. Does anyone know how to create a MIME for an HTML email that contains images? I can create the MIME body parts, but I don't know how to get the HTML to point to the image parts. JMH. John Mark Howell <jmarkhowell@hotmail.com> wrote: > Sorry for the cross postings, but I'm getting nowhere. > > Does anyone know how to create a MIME for an HTML email that contains > images? I can create the MIME body parts, but I don't know how to > get the HTML to point to the image parts. > JMH. Why would y...

ATTN MVPS
I ran across this blog post and was a bit intrigued by it. http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.php/2009/11/send-email-from-the-command-line/ It details a .DLL that's available which allows emails to be sent via a command line. It intrigues me because I'm wondering if it would be less prone to fail as opposed to the other techniques for sending an email, such as Outlook Automation. Granted you wouldn't be able to trap any errors from the .DLL, but would it be more likely to succeed even though you'd still have to have VBA code to run the command line. Thoughts? ...

Access Violation errors #2
GASDoc.h : interface of the CGASDoc class CGASDoc : public CDocument { public: int m_dmaxA; ........ } // A.h : header file #include"GASDoc.h" class CA: public CDialog { public: CGASDoc* pDoc; void someaction(); int m_dmaxA; } // B.h : header file class CB : public CDialog { // Dialog Data //{{AFX_DATA(CB) enum { IDD = IDD_B }; int m_dmaxA; //}}AFX_DATA //A.cpp void CA::someaction() { CB dlg; if(dlg.DoModal()==IDOK) { pDoc->m_dmaxA=m_dmaxA=dlg.m_dmaxA; } } its all right when compiling , but , when runing it has a wrong . Usingthe debug too...

.sit added extension on .doc word files?
hello there, I have recently been unable to open word documents that have been saved and sent as attachments to my office email. They appear as the document name.doc.sit. I know the .sit is related to Stuffit expander, but am not sure why this gets added to these documents and further prevents them opening? I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out on this one! Sincerely, mfabello@sympatico.ca You should be able to expand them using StuffIt Expander (free), from <http://www.stuffit.com/expander/> I don't know why all of the attachments sent to your office e-mail ac...

Accessing one's PST file across the Internet
Hello all; I have my main PST file on my home network and use Outlook for everything it can do. What would be the best way to make use of my PIM data from a remote location that uses a dial-up Internet connection? My first thought is to open a VPN connection, and using another Outlook client installation at the remote site, to simply open my PST file across the Internet. Because my remote connection will be using dial-up Internet access, I think this would be a cumbersome prospect. What other ways are there to use one's Outlook calendar, tasks, etc. data from a remote location? I jus...

Access 2007
Hi, I’m using access 2007. I would like to use one of my reports as the body of an outlook 2007 email message. I’m able to export the report as an HTML file but can’t figure out how to use either as body of the email message. Is this possible in VBA? Can anyone help with an example or sample code if possible? Thanks All Cris You can send HTML e-mail using Outlook automation. Sample code can be found at http://www.devhut.net/index.php?lang=en&pid=0000000013#SendHTMLEmail However, you will first need to read your html file into vba so you can use it as the subject v...

E_ACCESSDENIED error when logging into a CDO session to access Global Address Book{Global Address List}
Hi, I need to access{read mode} the Global Address Book {Global address list} of Outlook 2003 which i am able to access using a vbscript. When i run the vbscript manually or from the command propmt , I am able to acccess the GAB , Now when i embed the vbscript into html and run it I get an E_ACCESSDENIED error at the logon method of a CDO session object. I have tried the code on the following combinations Outlook 2003 and Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition Outlook 2003 and Windows XP Outlook 2003 and Windows 2000 SP4 Please find the code attached. Also I dont know what version of CDO...

Access crashes when importing dbf file
I'm using Access 2003 and when I try to import a dbf file, Access crashes on me. I've already tried repairs and uninstall/reinstall of Office but that hasn't resolved the issue. I also am up to date on all service packs and updates. Not sure what to try next. I want to add that when I say crash, I mean it simply disappears without any warning or error messages. "Steve" wrote: > I'm using Access 2003 and when I try to import a dbf file, Access crashes on > me. I've already tried repairs and uninstall/reinstall of Office but that > ...

Accessing Document From Outside Class
Hey I've got a typical SDI application created by MFC AppWizard. I created a new class, CRoster, and need to access the document, CSubstitutionManagerDoc, from it. It'll probably be something like (CSubstitutionManager*)(theApp...........GetDocument()); But I can't find the right function, or set of functions. What do I do? Thanks for any help. (I just need to do this so I can access a bool variable I created inside the document, and call SetModifiedFlag()). Thanks again. -- MiniDisc_2k2 To reply, replace nospam.com with cox dot net. Mostly this is ugly code. Why do you need ...

Outlook Express Ads
How do I prevent Outlook Express from adding advertisements to the bottom of every email I send? Mike H wrote: > How do I prevent Outlook Express from adding advertisements > to the bottom of every email I send? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x...

Importing emails into access.
Hi, I have created a linked table from access 07 to my inbox in outlook 07. The data that is imported into access doesnt contain any attached files. How do i either import the file aswell or automatically create a link from the imported data back to the email so i can get to the files. Thanks in advance. What exactly are you wanting to do? Why need to pull the emails into Access? "primed" <primed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16F74856-5B07-467B-B7A1-5B6AA93AAF35@microsoft.com... > Hi, I have created a linked table from access 07 to my inbo...

Word & Access 2003 (from 97)
I have recently converted an Access database and associated Word merge documents from Office 97 to Office 2003. It has generally gone well, but I now find that from Word 2003 that only some, but not all, of the queries in the associated Access 2003 database are visible, when trying to reset the data source of a word mailmerge document as a query in the new version of the database. There is a database workgroup file which Access has joined, and the user has all permissions on ALL queries - we don't see any differences between the queries which can be seen and those which cannot in t...

64-bit ODBC driver for MS Access
I have several websites that use MS Access as the backend. I've now replacedmy development machine and installed Vista 64-bit, with Office 2007.I am able to continue to develop the sites (Dreamweaver), but I'm unable totest them locally due to the lack of an 64-bit ODBC driver.I've read various discussions regarding recompiling for x86 32-bitenvironment, but that doesn't work for me as this is IIS based, not a VB.NETor C++ application.Can anyone help me with a pointer or two in how to get around this problem.The ideal situation of course is for Microsoft to produce a 64-bit ODB...