Add New Record Using Combo Box

I am using 2 different tables: Employee Info and Trip Details. I need to have a blank form open to enter new information, but I would like a combo box to choose the employees name, as there are over 300 employees. Ideally, the first name, last name, and DOB would be populated, but the rest of the information would still be blank to add new data. I could then just hit a button to open the form again to add information about a different employee. I am having a problem doing this and would greatly appreciate if someone could let me know how to accomplish this. Thanks.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:26:03 -0700, Marie <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com>wrote:>I am using 2 different tables: Employee Info and Trip Details. I need to have >a blank form open to enter new information, but I would like a combo box to >choose the employees name, as there are over 300 employees. Ideally, the >first name, last name, and DOB would be populated, but the rest of the >information would still be blank to add new data. I could then just hit a >button to open the form again to add information about a different employee. >I am having a problem doing this and would greatly appreciate if someone >could let me know how to accomplish this. Thanks.STOP.You're misunderstanding how relational databases work!A table of Employee Info should have last name, first name, etc.That information should NOT be stored redundantly in the Trip Details table -only the  unique EmployeeID should.Typically one would use a Form based on Employee Info, and a Subform based onTrip Details, with (just!) trip information entered on the subform. TheEmployeeID would be the master link field/child link field of the subform.Check out some of the suggestions at:Jeff Conrad's resources page:http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.htmlThe Access Web resources page:http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
3/22/2007 1:35:12 AM
In the Trip Details table, I added the SSN as a foreign key, I didn't add any other employee data. The primary key in that table is Trip ID. I linked SSN from employee info table to the SSN in Trip Details table for a one to many relationship. I want to have the main form to hold the employee information, and the subform for the trip information. However, I want the user to be able to click a button in the main switchboard to open the form in add new record view, so when the form opens, it will be completely blank. Then, I want to have a combo box which has all the employees names listed, and when the user clicks on the name they want, the rest of the employee fields will be populated, but the subform will still be blank so that the user can add all the new trip information about the employee they picked."John W. Vinson" wrote:> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:26:03 -0700, Marie <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com>> wrote:> > >I am using 2 different tables: Employee Info and Trip Details. I need to have > >a blank form open to enter new information, but I would like a combo box to > >choose the employees name, as there are over 300 employees. Ideally, the > >first name, last name, and DOB would be populated, but the rest of the > >information would still be blank to add new data. I could then just hit a > >button to open the form again to add information about a different employee. > >I am having a problem doing this and would greatly appreciate if someone > >could let me know how to accomplish this. Thanks.> > STOP.> > You're misunderstanding how relational databases work!> > A table of Employee Info should have last name, first name, etc.> > That information should NOT be stored redundantly in the Trip Details table -> only the  unique EmployeeID should.> > Typically one would use a Form based on Employee Info, and a Subform based on> Trip Details, with (just!) trip information entered on the subform. The> EmployeeID would be the master link field/child link field of the subform.> > Check out some of the suggestions at:> > Jeff Conrad's resources page:> http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html> > The Access Web resources page:> http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html> >              John W. Vinson [MVP]>
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:28:10 -0700, Marie <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com>wrote:>I want the user to be able >to click a button in the main switchboard to open the form in add new record >view, so when the form opens, it will be completely blank. Then, I want to >have a combo box which has all the employees names listed, and when the user >clicks on the name they want, the rest of the employee fields will be >populated, but the subform will still be blank so that the user can add all >the new trip information about the employee they picked.Use the Form toolbox Combo Box wizard to create an unbound combo box on themain form - "Use this combo to find a record". You don't want or need tocreate a new employee record, just navigate to the existing one.What exactly are the trip details? Are there multiple records of details abouteach trip? If so you need a Trips table: one employee --- many trips, eachtrip --- many details. You may need a sub-subform.             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
3/22/2007 3:33:34 AM
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 06:58:18 -0700, Marie <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com>wrote:>These are bus drivers for people with disabilities. There is 1 bus driver per >trip and many details for the trip, bus#, route#, number of passengers, is >there an aide, odometer reading before and after, etc. It's really pretty >simple. Like you said, the bus drivers are already in their own table, so a >new driver will not be added, just a new trip for each driver. But because >there are so many drivers, I would like a drop down box for the user to >select the driver's name and just add all the trip details. Thanks again.This should be pretty simple then. Simply base a Form on the trip table; usethe Combo Box Wizard to create a combo box bound to the driverID, based on thetable of drivers. The combo can *display* the driver's name while storingtheir ID; the user doesn't need to even see the ID.             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
3/22/2007 3:08:03 PM
Thank you so much. I will try that and let you know how I make out."John W. Vinson" wrote:> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 06:58:18 -0700, Marie <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com>> wrote:> > >These are bus drivers for people with disabilities. There is 1 bus driver per > >trip and many details for the trip, bus#, route#, number of passengers, is > >there an aide, odometer reading before and after, etc. It's really pretty > >simple. Like you said, the bus drivers are already in their own table, so a > >new driver will not be added, just a new trip for each driver. But because > >there are so many drivers, I would like a drop down box for the user to > >select the driver's name and just add all the trip details. Thanks again.> > This should be pretty simple then. Simply base a Form on the trip table; use> the Combo Box Wizard to create a combo box bound to the driverID, based on the> table of drivers. The combo can *display* the driver's name while storing> their ID; the user doesn't need to even see the ID.> > >              John W. Vinson [MVP]>

Microsoft CRM using Firefox
Hello, Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work correctly on Firefox. Currently, I have employees that are using Firefox and are encountering the same issue as IE [Internet Explorer bombs out and states that it has encountered problems...]. I am just having employees use IE to prevent problem. Thank you for your comments in advance. Install a Firefox extension called IETab "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B93E29-757D-46FF-B747-A17EB112ED94@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work cor...

Using iterations to calculate circular references.
I am working with data that requires using circular references in some calculations. I checked the "iterations" box to allow for these calculations to work, and Ecxel seems to be calculating everything correctly. The problem is that after I close the workbook, when I later reopen it to continue working, all the cells that are a part of the circular reference display the #VALUE! error. I can fix this by deleting one cell that is part of the loop and then undoing that command, or by copying the formula from a cell, deleting it, and pasting it back into the same cell. I have to d...

Creating a template using Publisher

Is anybody using Symantec Enterprise Vault?
Hi, A vendor has recommended this solution to us, I have looked at the datasheet for the product and it speaks the right language but I was wondering if anybody on here uses it in a live environment and what their opinion of it is. Cheers Sean ...

Using Sumproduct when some of the values are null
I am having a problem using Sumproduct when some of the cells have null values. I will try to describe the problem. Please let me know if you need additional information. Do any of you have any ideas of how I can fix that sumproduct to get it to work? A B C Row Trend Claims 5 Emergency $0 6 Emergency $0 7 Emergency $0 8 Emergency 81.68% $24,444 9 Emergency 35.00% $164,758 10 Emergency 35.00% ...

Unable to repy using word editor
When repyling to an e-mail I receive the following message, "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy, or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead". I found article 284900, that states you may get this message when you have office 2000 and office xp installed on the same computer. This is not the case on my computer, Office 2000 does not exist, only office xp. Can anyone help me? There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have no solution. Here are a few that do: http://support.microsoft...

Operating a small passenger service
I am hoping someone has managed to customise outlook in a way that allows you to use the programe to manage bookings on a small passenger service. I.e input a new booking, number of people, location etc. Then email the days bookings to the different drivers. Maybe it could also be set up to know how many seats are avialale to reduce the risk of double booking? Im using Outlook 2003. ...

why I see times new roman?
I have several html email messages composed in outlook express 6, I'm sure I highlited all text and set it to Arial 10. Then I drag the file to desktop, move it to vista windows mail draggin into inbox or other folder. The result is some parts of text shows arial 10 but some others Times new roman 10 or 12 what is annoying, because I use all arial 10, so I have to manually forward the email, highligh it again and set arial 10 and then, yes, I can see it properly. I checked the compose default font and everything is fine. Why is that? Is there any work around , helo...

using dates Part 2

Delegates cannot add contacts?
I've created an OU for external email addresses, shared across the company. Within that OU, I've created a nested OU for specific delegation. I've delegated management of the OU to a specific contract manager. My dilemma? From what I've been able to determine, no one except an Exchange admin can create new contacts. Ideas/suggestions? I've installed the Exchange admin/management tools on the appropriate systems. TIA, Mike Mike Is the problem that you have delegated permissions within AD and are no experiencing problems? Nue "Mike" <newsgroups@manco...

Unable to add documents to My Recent Documents
Hello, Any suggestions as to how to fix "My Recent Documents"? No new documents add to the folder and it remains persistently empty. I get an "Access denied" message when attempting to go to customizing the Start menu advanced tab. Are you Right-Clicking on the Start Button and then selecting Properties from the list? If you select Properties then You need to select Customize from Start Menu Tab. Then from Advanced Tab you should ensure there is a TICK next to "List my Most Recently Opened Documents". hth Gary V wrote: > > Hello, &g...

Combo
Hi, I am able to create a list of items with a drop down menu. I can select specific item but how do I select all item to get a query output. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks You can't select multiple items from an Access combo box. To do that would require a listbox with it's MULTI-SELECT property set to SIMPLE or EXTENDED. See more info about list boxes here: http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut11.htm -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com __________________________________ If my post ...

trouble using signature picker
The signature picker is ghosted out does anyone know how to correct this ? Signature picker was working earlier. Thanks ...

"Organizational folder": 'new' menu is not available
I am following article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;244591 and I try to create an organization folder. I go to my "Public FOlder", click "System folder". I see EFORMS listed there. I right click the option and I don't see the option "new". What's wrong ? Exch 2000SP3. ...

Outlook 2007: is there a way to use it as a Diary
I'd like to keep a daily journal of important notes, etc. In other words , I would like to keep a Diary. Does Outlook 2007 have this capability? TIA Sure - Ctrl+8 to view the journal or you can create a Mail and Post folder type and post to it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH...

VBA using an image as a toggle switch
Hi hope you can help. I know next to nothing about VBA and have adapted code below from stuff I had. I simply want to show hide portions of my page to cut down on screen clutter/information overload. I have assigned my macro to a screen image but was wondering if I could have a hide and unhide under the same button. Any help would be much appreciated Call Unl Application.ScreenUpdating = False Rows("25:75").EntireRow.Hidden = True Rows("98:148").EntireRow.Hidden = True Rows("171:221").EntireRow.Hidden = True Rows("244:294").EntireRow.Hidden = T...

add GENDERCODE to leads
We implemented MS CRM some time ago, and now we come across some minor issues... one of them is: why can't we add the GENDERCODE to a lead?? is there a way to do it (easily) or can we better forget about it??? ...

Find what control is using a data item
I built a form, then deleted 2 columns from the source table and now I get a popup asking for the value of those 2 columns. The problem is, I don't use those columns so I need to find what on the form is refferencing the deleted columns. I have looked at the control drop down on the properties window and the tab order window and can't find a control with either one of the missing column names. How do I determine what is trying to refference the deleted columns? I found the problem, the column was still referenced in the underlying query that fed the form. "MeSteve"...

Read file info using SMO locks database!
Hi! I'm using SMO from C# to restore a database from a backup file. Since I want to re-use the same datafiles I try to read the datafiles in my destination database and call RelocateFile to use these filenames during the restore. Everyting works fine except when I try to read the current datafilenames (see code below). If I skip this code and just hardcode the paths in relocatefile everything works fine. Database db = svr.Databases[destinationDBName]; foreach (FileGroup group in db.FileGroups) foreach (DataFile file in group.Files) Console.WriteLine...