Acess Memo Fields

Are access memo fields the only control one could use if they wanted to
assocate records in a table with large amounts of text?

I have a database that tracks transaction specifics between the company and
customer. Sometimes, a particular account requires the generation of a letter
to be mailed to some place. I was considering using a memo field to allow the
user to type his/her letter, then build a report that would incorporate the
account info with the text that was generated...the only problem is the memo
field and its lack of word processor qualities....

Is a memo field the only way to go in this case? Am I completely on the
wrong path? Has any one else ever incorporated word processing in their
Access applications?

TIA

Antonio
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Yes: the memo is the field type to use where you want more than 255
characters in a field, so it makes sense to base your "letter" report on a
memo.

Access 2007 supports some formatting within a memo field. Previous versions
do not, though it is possible (with effort) to use a rich text control such
as this:
    http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm

"Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are access memo fields the only control one could use if they wanted to
> assocate records in a table with large amounts of text?
>
> I have a database that tracks transaction specifics between the company
> and
> customer. Sometimes, a particular account requires the generation of a
> letter
> to be mailed to some place. I was considering using a memo field to allow
> the
> user to type his/her letter, then build a report that would incorporate
> the
> account info with the text that was generated...the only problem is the
> memo
> field and its lack of word processor qualities....
>
> Is a memo field the only way to go in this case? Am I completely on the
> wrong path? Has any one else ever incorporated word processing in their
> Access applications?
>
> TIA
>
> Antonio

0
Allen
10/20/2007 3:10:06 AM
You can associate Word documents with Access records simply by creating a
path to them. I wrote a database quite some time ago to facilitate this:

http://www.datastrat.com/Download/DocMgr_2K.zip

You can also output Access data to Word Bookmarks. A sample of that is:

http://www.datastrat.com/Code/WordMerge.txt

You can also use Automation to work with any other Office suite product.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are access memo fields the only control one could use if they wanted to
> assocate records in a table with large amounts of text?
>
> I have a database that tracks transaction specifics between the company
> and
> customer. Sometimes, a particular account requires the generation of a
> letter
> to be mailed to some place. I was considering using a memo field to allow
> the
> user to type his/her letter, then build a report that would incorporate
> the
> account info with the text that was generated...the only problem is the
> memo
> field and its lack of word processor qualities....
>
> Is a memo field the only way to go in this case? Am I completely on the
> wrong path? Has any one else ever incorporated word processing in their
> Access applications?
>
> TIA
>
> Antonio

0
Arvin

Smartlist Builder Link Field
We're looking to create a Smartlist in Builder using the PM transaction open file as the main table. We would like to add a column for the current date using either the System Date or User Date. How can we link that field or create a calculated field for it? Susan Its quite simple. Go to Calculated Fields, Click + to add calculated field, give a name like Current Date, and select field type as 'date' and then below add the function Getdate() and click validate to see the query is valid. Come back to the main window in smartlist builder, go to calculated fields under t...

Show a count of a field in a text box on a form
I would like to show the count of total current records in a specific field and have the count show in a text box on my main form that opens when the program is launched so I can see count without having to run a query, etc. My main table is ECG and the field that I want to count is lupactive which will have yes in the field to indicate that the record is current. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks -- JCW In Form design view, display the Form Header/Footer. Add a text box to the Form Footer section, and set its Control Source like this: = - Sum([lupactive]) ...

Select field from table not used by form
I'm working in Access 97 and am mostly a novice. I have a form linked to a table called "Participants". One of the fields is [Company]. I've got a control for it called [Companytxt]. The [Company] field exists in another table called "Pipeline". All the data in the "Participants" table is new. When I enter a new record, I want to choose the the [Company] name from the Pipeline table so I can set up a future relationship between the tables. I would like to choose from the list of existing companies in the "Pipeline" table and update the name of ...

Select Bank Transactions
Is there a plan to modify the existing Select Bank Transaction Window to include a paid to/ received from field so that we can track who a client made a payment to or received a payment from? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/B...

Custom Fields SharePoint in Outlook
Hi, First of all, sorry for x-posting, but I've set at least a follow-up to: microsoft.public.developer.outlook.addins I am not 100% sure if I have found the right group anyways, but let's begin first: We use Microsoft Office SharePoint Services in our company and have custom fields for our word, excels and other documents. It is possible to connect those with Outlook to have them as a list in Outlook. Unfortunatelly it looks like that Outlook only provides basic fields to show in a folder list - I can not select the fields that were created on SharePoint to filter or sort by them? ...

Append query with addtional fields
I am trying to create an append query with two additional fields. The first is a date field. That I do not have an issue with. The second field I want to be an autonumber type field. I have input the following expression into the query: Expr1: DMax("[TxtIDNumber]+1","ConcernComparetbl") The "ConcernComparetbl" is where the append query is adding the records. However, when I run the query, the number in the Expr1 is the same for all records. I can't quite figure out how to increment the numbers in the field. Can anyone assist? suggest you use a custom f...

Exported payee info appearing in memo field?
Whenever I download information from one particular bank the payee field is not filled in and the memo field has the payee information in it. Meaning I have to go through every transaction and assign it the correct payee. It is only an issue with one of my banks, and happens in both Money 2003 and 2004. The bank, of course, is saying no one else has this problem, and that I should contact Money tech support. Does this sound familier to anyone and is there a fix that I can do? Thank you so much! In microsoft.public.money, Delia wrote: >Whenever I download information from one part...

Print Styles
I seem to have lost my Memo Style, in my print styles, and Outlook won't let me edit it. I've tried to reset it, but it continues to have no margins and other annoying attributes. When I go into 'Print', then highlight 'Memo Style' under 'Print Styles', the 'Define Styles...' and 'Page Setup...' buttons are disabled (grayed out). Anyone have any ideas?? Any help would be grately appreciated. Karne S ...

No IM Address field in Custom Map in OL2002
I am trying to import a contact database in excel into Outlook 2002. I have a field of MSN messenger addresses I want to map to the "IM Address" field in Outlook; however, there is no field in the "Custom Map Fields" in Outlook to map it to? Any ideas or work arounds? Is this a known issue? Thanks! Feel free to send reply to email addresss listed. ...

Caclulated Field Doesn't Always Work Properly
I have a simple little DB that tracks my time and attendance at work. One of the calculated fields on the form tracks the week number. I have a calculated control with a default value of: =Format([Date_Work],"ww") It works properly if I'm entering the date during the current week. Today's date is 12-06-2007 and the calculated control displays week number 49. However, if I inadvertently miss a day and try to enter it 1 or 2 weeks later, the calculated control displays the current week number. For example, if I enter the date worked as 09/01/2007 today, the calculated ...

Maximum number of usable fields with mail merge manager
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I have a very large Excel data source (360 fields). They will not all merge into the Word document/report I have created. What is the maximum number of field for mail merge manager? How can I get all of my fields to merge into my document? Hi Jim, AFAIK you can't merge more than 255 fields per record. If your data consist of what are effectively multiple fields of the same kind (eg a series of outstanding invoices and their amounts) per recipient, you could reorganise them so that a Catalogue/Directory Mailme...

Outlook Forms E-mail Creation Sending Blank Fields
Im trying to design my first form, which I would like to be an e-mail generated with fields that I would manually enter in. I have the lay out designed and set up, but when the e-mail goes out, the recipient only gets blank text boxes. I also have 2 sets of radio buttons, but those do not population either. I just want the data I put into the text boxes on the form to be put into the generated e-mail. Can someone tell me how to do that? Allow me to add a little more info: Outlook 2007 with Exchange 07, on XP SP3 OS. "Chad" <kmonarq7@gmail.com> wrote in message ...

Email generated from workflow
I created a workflow that send an email when a new contact is entered and a field is = a certain value and email with fields from that contact should be sent. I chose the proper step to create new message then in the properties of that message i added the fields to the body of the message. The email gets generated but the data from that field is not in the email just the name of the field in { } Any thoughts on why it is not pulling the actual content of the field? -- Thanks Knavas ...

Field sizes
Can not read cleared so far $'s when balancing - ###'s instead - any way to fix? ...

add spell checker for comment and description fields
a client has asked if GP could have a spell checker, particularly for comment and description fields ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=f369f3e0-f5c0-4e10-a403...

Flag Status Field Position on Description Bar.
I want to position the Flag Status field to br the first column on the left but after editing "Current View," "Fields," etc.,the field remains the last column on the right. OS ther a way to move the "Flag Status" field? Thanks, Ed No, you can't change the location of the Status Flag but you can you can place the column Follow Up Flag anywhere you want. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Save Embedded Pictures in Their Original...

Unapply Credit Memos and Payments In Payables
Hi, We have a problem here where we made a manual payment for a supplier and applied it to the wrong invoices. We also have some credit memos that were applied to the wrong vendor invoices. Now I can't seem to be able to unapply these payments and apply it to the right vendor invoices. Its driving me nuts what can I do? I think your solution leads to voiding those transactions by going to Void Historical Transactions -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP http://msdynamicswire.com http://janakirammp.blogspot.com "Raf" wrote: > Hi, > > We have a problem here where...

Form fields in letterhead template
Hi, I'd really appreciate some help on this issue. I'm creating a letterhead with automated areas for filling in. I've done this using form fields, and it works great apart from the body text. I'd like the user to be able to edit the body text as much as possible, including the use of tabbed indents and bullet points. But the protected form fields don't allow me to do this. When I unprotect the document, all fields are unprotected, leaving a lot more room for error. Any suggestion would be great, thanks ...

Parent Account field in a workflow?
Is there a way to force the Parent Account field to be available when building a workflow? It is set to searchable in CRM and is available in my advanced find but not available in a workflow. TIA, Melissa One option if this is critical would be to get a developer to write a workflow assembly that can retrieve the parent account for you. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP Web - http://www.crowecrm.com Blog - http://www.crowecrm.com/crowe/microsoft/crmblog.cfm "Melissa Ragsdale" <MelissaRagsdale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

how do get the bcc field to display?
Its odd but I have no BCC field, I used to but I dont now! \ S It's a pain, isn't it :-) The BCC field is visible only if you are sending an EMAIL. If you are in a Newsgroup, it doesn't exist. In an email (not a news post) click in the Address field (either To or CC). The BCC field will then appear. Use Send Feedback on the Help menu to tell Microsoft you would like it back :-) Cheers On 27/02/08 8:22 PM, in article ee8ef11.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "kokney@officeformac.com" <kokney@officeformac.com> wrote: > Its odd but I have no BCC field, I used to ...

Display "to" field in folders other than "Sent"
Hello, I'm new to these forums. I'd like to be able to display who I've sent the emails to in folder other than "Sent Items". All the rest have "From". I can't see it i the list of fields when I right click on the field bar. Is thi possible. Thanks, Ia ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com IJ53 <IJ53.14btm4@outlookforum.com> wrote: > I'd like to be able to display who I've sent the emails to in folders &...

Counting A Field
Hi all, This is one of those things that I should know, but just can't remember right now. I'm creating a database for an extra-curricular program that will allow it to track all of its students. One of the fields that they are tracking is T-Shirt Size. [tshirt] The T-Shirt sizes are a drop-down menu that they are able to change if they need to. The values are contained in a separate table. I've got a report which shows all the students by class and also by division. I'm trying to figure out how to have the report count how many of each size of shirt is needed. W...

RMS 1.2 New field for detailed sales report
I would like to print the tender type on the detail sales report.Could anybody tell me what table, field and syntax I need for the inner join of the report? Thanks Gerd I made some progress with the report. I found the tables I need and have linked those to the report. However, when running the report I get duplicate records for some transactions when the tender type was cash with some money back. Reason being that there are 2 records in table tenderentry. Here it the report definition with all the various joins: Begin ReportSummary ReportType = reporttypeSales ReportTitle = "...

How do I export User Defined fields from Outlook?
I have created several new fields (such as Spouse Title) in my contact list. I don't see these fields when I export it onto an excel spreadsheet. Why and where did I go wrong? -- Tech Trainer It's a limitation. A workaround would be to create a view that holds all the fields that you wish to export. Then simply copy/paste that to Excel. For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/exportcontacts.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more ...

Error Message "Cannot apply filter on one or more fields specified
Hi, I have a simple Access 2007 form that displays a handful of fields from a single SQL 2005 table. If I try to use the Filter icons on the toolbar, e.g. "Selection" or "Advanced/Filter by Form", 95% of the time I receive an error message: "Cannot apply Filter on one or more fields specified in the Filter Property" Here are a variety of conditions: 1. I can use the "Filter by Form" and specify a filter on one field, but if I click "Apply Filter", then go back to "Filter by Form" and add a filter on another col...