Access unwanted automatic data entry

when entering data in my Access table, if i use the tab ket to advance to the
next field, it often enters a number in that field.  Why does it do that nad
how can I make it stop!
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Are entering data direcctly into Access table? If so, stop doing that,
unless you only do it occasionally to repair data in database and you know
database design and manage it.

"Pat the biologist" <Pat the biologist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:6B724974-C937-4C5C-BDBA-1A086C0712A1@microsoft.com...
> when entering data in my Access table, if i use the tab ket to advance to
> the
> next field, it often enters a number in that field.  Why does it do that
> nad
> how can I make it stop!

0
Norman
12/19/2007 11:00:57 PM
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:20:02 -0800, Pat the biologist <Pat the
biologist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Norman is right: use a form to enter data.

But to answer your question: Access is trying to be helpful. If it
want to enter 4 in the next field.  I thought there was an option to
turn that off, but now I can't find it.

-Tom.

>when entering data in my Access table, if i use the tab ket to advance to the
>next field, it often enters a number in that field.  Why does it do that nad
>how can I make it stop!
0
Tom

Using data from cells in a Query to a MS Access Database
I need to use a MS Excel 2003 spreadsheet to perform a simple set of calcs. One piece of information I need is stored in an Access Database. If I could have, I would have converted the spreadsheet to an MS Access database and programmed the query to use information from text boxes. However, not all employees in the company have MS Access on their computer. So I need to use an external query in Excel to look at the MS Access Database. I can do that pretty easily. The Query Wizard walks you right through it. However, I need to make it so that the criteria for the query is drawn ...

attaching a macro to a control button in the Quick Access Toolbar
Excel 12, WXP I have a macro that I used a lot in Excel 11 and I would like to use it in Excel 12. I have put a button (form control) on the Quick Access Toolbar and I want to attach the macro to it. Help says to right click on the control and choose "assign macro" but when I right click on the control I don't get that choice. Can't find any help for this question in VB editor either. It describes how to put a command button on the worksheet itself, but no way to assign a macro that is in the Quick Access Toolbar. Any suggestions? See http://www.rondebruin.nl/ima...

Spaces in Data
Hi, I am trying to do a mail merge and the excel data that I am using has a bunch of spaces in the field that shows the city. So when I list the City St and Zip the state is about 7 spaces after the city like this. 123 Main Street Anywhere usa 49000 Any ideas? Thanks RRH -- Rhall ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Rhall's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25630 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=390428 I guess the space removal feature made that question fall f...

Automatic message language definition in international environment
How can I strictly define language for replies in Outlook 2002 with Microsoft Word message editor? Definition of Word/Outlook are not strictly followed. Problem background: We operate Outlook 2002 in international environment and users obtain messages from various countries and some messages go through several countries. A lot of countries have alternate national language defined together with English language in Windows Regional settings. The problem is that when you forward/reply to a message, sometimes Outlook use the local language for new text, sometimes use English. There is no ...

Inserting Excel Data into Word Columns
Hi, I am fairly new to VBA and Excel/Word and have been trying to automat a sheet we have, I have created the Excel Sheet and unfortunately th Word doc was created sometime ago and cannot be changed. I have searched this forum and found this code: Code ------------------- Sub CreateNewWordDoc() ' to test this code, paste it into an Excel module ' add a reference to the Word-library ' create a new folder named C:\Foldername or edit the filnames in the code Dim wrdApp As Word.Application Dim wrdDoc As Word.Document Dim i As Integer Set wrdApp = CreateObject(&qu...

How to send form data to tables programatically
Is there a way to programatically have a form update to the underlying tables? What I mean is... As a user types into a form, Access doesn't seem to actually send that data to the table (and thereby create autonumbers) until user moves on to another record. Is there a way to force that data to the tables (ie make the new records) while the user is still on the form? On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:33:02 -0800, markmarko <markmarko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to programatically have a form update to the underlying tables? > >What I mean is... As a user ...

column chart changes my data
Hi I have attempted to make a column chart with error bars using 6.3 0.008199 6.8 0.0151625 7.5 0.006469 as my data, BUT when i highlight and insert chart my figures (6.3,6.8,7.5) change to 1,2, and 3. and my other figures change to 1-8 I am trying to show rate of reaction vs pH level can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong as I dont normally have any trouble with these charts.I am using office 2003 -- thanks to all You should be using an XY chart for numerical value, particularly for scientific analyses. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Pelt...

Reporting services available for use with access?
I am building a DB in access for my project managers, some will be using just access. Is it possible that report builder can be used in Access? In some way? ...

Automatic transfer of data from one worksheet to another
I have two spread sheets, let's call them A and B. A could be considered the master work sheet. It has 15 columns A -O. The B worksheet has 13 columns, all of them which come from A. I have deleted Columns L and N in A when the data is transferred to worksheet B. I would like to know what the process is to set these up so that when I add or delete new information to or from A, it automatically transfers the same information to B, exclusive of columns L and N. Thanks very much Lewis Shaks How about a simple cell linking function? Look at column A in Worksheet B as an example. Lin...

Automatic Categorization #2
I am new to Money 2007 Deluxe. I've gotten all of my accounts set up and downloading properly and noticed that Money will automatically try to assign a category to transactions in my checking account register. (ie a checkcard at McDonalds is put in the "Dinig Out" category) Is there a way to set this up for the ones it misses and then have it process all entries in the register with that information? Specifically I have a place that I do a lot of business with that will show as "CHECKCARD" + 4 digit date + payee. I would like them all to come in as just the payee and ...

Sorting data in group
Working on a excel sheet maintaining huge data and need to sort it date wise, amount wise (range 1 to 10000, 10001 to 20000). The problem is that we have data set of different clients, this data set of each client spread over 9 columb and 7 rows and i need to sort it in a group. How do i do this? Data set should'nt be destroy? for example Columbs are: Name of Client nature of business funded non funded trade business date of approval limit expiry date fresh/renewal remarks. rows are: DM MMF IERF BD/RISK LINE PAD OTHERS SUBTOTAL See your post in ...

Error when installing sample data in Project Accounting
When I run the macro to load sample data onto my TWO company in project accounting, after a few minutes, when the employee data is getting loaded, I get an error that window is no longer available and the macro stops running. Anyone has any idea how to load the remainder of the sample data and why this error is happening. I tried to load the data again (a fresh database load) but I got the same error again. Hi, add OLEPath=d:\eentrprs\ in your dex.ini file and run the macro again. Regards Ani "AA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6efa01c...

Automatically adding to contacts
Some mail system I've used over the past few years had a mechanism to add the recipient(s) of an email to the contacts when mail was sent (if they were missing, obviously). I think this may have been Outlook Express. I cannot find the function in Outlook 2003 - is it there? I treat mail from anyone who is not in my contacts as suspicious, so the ability to add people to my contacts during reply would help to automate the process of determining the good guys. -- Steve Swift http://www.ringers.org.uk (Personal Webpage) http://hedgehog.farn.uk.ibm.com (IBM Internal - restricted...

Mfg Module is dropping a part from BOM during MO Trans Entry
After Confirming that an item is on the BOM, I created an MO. I looked at the Picklist & it was there, but when I went to MO Trans Entry to Allocate the material, it was no longer there. ???????????????? Check if the item is marked for backflush. If it is then it won't appear on the component transaction entry window unless you select "Include backflushed item". "Lora" wrote: > After Confirming that an item is on the BOM, I created an MO. I looked at > the Picklist & it was there, but when I went to MO Trans Entry to Allocate > the material,...

Easy access-button to Access-database in Excel
Hello, we have made an excel-sheet which is connected to an access-database with the add-on template-guide (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E01EA3D8-094D-4ED1-88DA-F4B8B2AD28BD). It is working fine but we would like there to be a button which is linked to the access-database connected with this sheet or at least a cell which has the path to the file. Does anybody know if this is possible? Kind regards, Chris You can use the Macro Recorder to record a macro while going through the steps manually to access the database. Then, create a drawing obj...

Exchange 5.5 (VPN/External Access)
Hi All, We currently use exchange 5.5 (win2k server) for our postoffice and im currently looking into giving a small amount of users access to their email from home. How secure or what are the best practices in this situation....? OWA pop3 tunneling VPN Custom Recipient (just forward email to their home account) Lets just leave this one out for the moment as i know all about this.... Each of these scare the hell out of me as the client machines will largly be out of my control. I think the VPN option scares me the most as this will give most access, whereas with the other two i'm...

Conversion from Access 2000
I have a formula that worked correctly in Access 2000 namely =IIf([Print Invoice Time Subform].[Form].[RecordsetClone]. [RecordCount]=0,0,[Print Invoice Time Subform].[Form]! [Total Hours]) However, in Access 2003, I think it can't evaluate the [RecordsetClone].[RecordCount]=0 part. Can anyone help with a replacement statement. Many thanks Hi John, I'm able to get results to work in the Northwind database sample using the Orders form in Microsoft Access 2003. Example: Dim str as String str = IIF([Orders Subform].[Form].[RecordsetClone].[RecordCo...

discontinued items should automatically bring up screen for subs
when you have setup Sales Order Processing to not allow discontinued items, a prompt will pop up explaining that the item is discontinued. However, no window appears telling you what the substitute items are. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://w...

Reports created in Access 2003
When we upgraded to 2007 all the reports that had been created in 2003 were no longer on the toolbar at the top of the screen and I can't find them anywhere. Help. ...

Using ADODB, how do I create a msgbox when duplicate data is enter
Hello, I am having a problem creating a msgbox, when data entered through a form into a table is duplicated. I would like for a msgbox to popup, and warn the user for dupliucate data, before the actual data is entered into the table. I have an index for no duplicate set on a field in a table. How would I go about this? I have seen code for Jet, and have tried to translate it over to ADODB, but with many problems. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks I don't know the code which is causing the problems with Jet but have you tried working with the 'match&#...

Data label alignment
I was trying to include the value of each bar in a bar chart. But the alignment menu for the data label only allows for inside top, middle and end, which overlaps with the bar and make it difficult to read. How do I make these data labels to stay OUTSIDE AND ON TOP of the bar? Thanks Thanks Andy. It was exactly what you described. :) >-----Original Message----- >Sounds like you are using the Stacked column chart, which does not offer >the Outside option because for all but the last series the data label >would appear in the next portion of the stack. > >If your stac...

enter data in the same column in multiple sheets
"Sial56" <Sial56@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03C54443-F3BC-4665-A1C0-16E45B76AA93@microsoft.com... >Nothing PLEASE write your question in the body of the post and NOT just the subject as you cannot POSSIBLY give us all the information you need in such a small space. Have a look here: http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm Select all sheets. Then enter the data. As long as each sheet is IDENTICAL.... ...

Money 2005 dividends dont automatically show up
I use Money 2005 to track all my investments. For some reason most if not all of the dividends for mutual funds do not show up automatically yet they do for equities. Is this a problem with the database MS is using or a setting that I am missing? Thanks in advance for any help. John C In microsoft.public.money, JCByte wrote: >I use Money 2005 to track all my investments. For some reason most if not >all of the dividends for mutual funds do not show up automatically yet they >do for equities. Is this a problem with the database MS is using or a >setting that I am mi...

How do you create a selection box for data entry within excel
I am trying to setup an excel form for data entry and I'd like to have the entry clerk select from a list of items for one of the columns. For example - THe column name is Status - I'd like them to be able to select Single, Married, Divorced, Separate. How can I setup the spreadsheet to accept this type of data entry? 1) First type Single, Married, Divorced, Separate in any range where you entry clerk can not modify it, say M1:M4. 2) Select the Status column 3) Tools > Data > Validation 4) Setting: Allow - "list", Source - "M1:M4", Check "Ignore bl...

Access 2007 update queries does not update table in SQL Server 200
We have this application upgraded from Access 2003. This application is front end to SQL Server 2005. When we try to run any action queries, Access will show command executed successfully but it will have no effect on the table in SQL Server. This happen when we use WorkSpace and Begin Transaction. Any updates we do between Begin Trans to Commit trans will have no effect. Please help regards Khuzema UPDATE: We are using ODBC to connect to SQL Server 2005 "Khuzema" wrote: > We have this application upgraded from Access 2003. This application is front > end to SQL Se...