Access Truncating Linked ODBC field names

Hello,  I've created a link to an ODBC table in Access 2007.  The table (or
view) has some field names that are too long, and Access has truncated those
names when creating the link.  As a result, I cannot include those truncated
fields in a access query. I've tried overwriting the field name to the
complete version, but access does not recognize it.  Is there a work around
for this issue?  I've been told that the group that maintains the table will
not consider changing those field names.

Thank you!
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

I expect you could use the longer names in pass-through queries. These would
not be updateable but might provide increased performance.

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

pa1971;613576 Wrote:
> Hello,  I've created a link to an ODBC table in Access 2007.  The table
> (or
> view) has some field names that are too long, and Access has truncated
> those
> names when creating the link.  As a result, I cannot include those
> truncated
> fields in a access query. I've tried overwriting the field name to the
> complete version, but access does not recognize it.  Is there a work
> around
> for this issue?  I've been told that the group that maintains the table
> will
> not consider changing those field names.

You might try using a different ODBC driver.  Sometimes, Access asks
the ODBC driver (which is supposed to ask the target DBMS) how long its
identifiers (catalog, table, and field names) can be -- and the driver,
or even the DBMS, gives the wrong answer.

This can happen if your ODBC driver isn't version-matched to the target
DBMS server, among other causes.

You didn't say what your target DBMS is, but my employer, OpenLink
Software, makes 'several drivers' (http://tinyurl.com/yd4mvvg) you can
try free for 2 weeks.

Hope that helps!

Ted

--
TallTed
TallTed's Profile: 1388

TallTed

Linked graphics into a Publisher 2000 document
I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An 11MB file. I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead insert the images using the "Link to File" option. Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result? An 11MB file. Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000 documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it blow up? Regards, Richard. Richard wrot...

cannot bring up names in OWA
I have checked AD and exchange to find diffrences in the permissions but I cannot find any. the names comeup in outlook however when searching for the name in OWA the name cannot be found. does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue. thanks. What version of Exchange and are you searching the GAL or Contacts, if Exchange 2000 and its Contacts then this is correct even though it looks like you should be able to search on Contacts. Options are to go with a third party vendor (or upgrade to Exchange 2003) "Gabe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Vista Access 2003 & Ole
I have a DB I've been using, updating for several years. I use a = different BMP on every record. Today I started to update it again. Last = update a few weeks ago on my XP. Today I went with 'insert object' 'create from file'. with XP I couldn't = use JPG's so I made bmp's. Today even a bmp is just an icon. How do I get the create from file to work again ? --=20 more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html ...

Any XML Naming Conventions?
Does the use of DTD, XML Schema and similar constructs adopt the use of C# naming conventions? If so how do I make the distinction of how to apply C# conventions with XML elements, attributes and so on? Any referrals to resources that discuss or document XML Naming Conventions? -- <%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost" Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clintongallagher/ clintonG wrote: > Does the use of DTD, X...

cell looses name after sorting
Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000: in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the values in these cells are used in other sheets. the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other sheets get messed up! How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute? thankx in advance, Jim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@exc...

New Customer ID same as existing customer Name
Hi, I am trying to setup a new customer (Customer Maintenance screen) and the Customer ID of my new customer happens to be the same as a Name of an existing Customer. As soon as I enter Customer ID, the system does a lookup and automatically fills out all fields with information from an existing customer file. Is there a way to prevent system from doing a lookup, or maybe there is another way around that will allow me to do what I described. -- Thank you, There are two possibilities: a. the customer id you are entering already exists, or b. you have an add-on that automates lookups su...

unable to access mail after re-enable account
Hi, After enable an disable account and change its password, it can login to its mail account. What's happening. Is it normal? Thanks a lot What is the error message when user tries to access mailbox? Does the user still show in ADUC has having Exchange attributes? Have you looked at the MB using ESM to see if it is disconnected? "Raymond" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:136c01c46f11$d16f8390$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > After enable an disable account and change its password, > it can login to its mail account. What's hap...

Keyboard hooking through Accessibility
I am looking for a method to hook the keyboard without running a background process. I know there are APIs for hooking (SetWindowsHookEx), but I want to avoid the overhead of running another background process for this and make the task do by windows itself. I am thinking of tweaking the Accessibility option in windows for this. Can we anyway do this by writing any script or modifying or adding registry entries for Accessibility? Or is there any Accessibility specific APIs which can re-program the Accessibility feature to do our tasks when we press a key with Accessibility feature-on. An...

Comparing first and last names in two lists

Change License / Company name
Hi, we tried CRM 1.2 with the MSDN license key. Now my company bought a 25 user Proffesional Suite license and I want to change the key on the production server. Is there an easy way to do this?? The only solution I see, is via the Data Migration Framework. Erik. How about the re-deploy tool? "Erik" <none> wrote in message news:u0SXdbXlEHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi, > we tried CRM 1.2 with the MSDN license key. Now my company bought a 25 > user > Proffesional Suite license and I want to change the key on the production > server. Is there an easy wa...

Running an Excel Macro from an Access Command Button
Hi , Can anyone help me with this, I am trying to run an excel macro from an access command button. I want the macro to Bold the Headings on a excel spreadsheet. The code runs without any errors but the macro doesnt seem to work, I think I have got the line ExcelApp.ExecuteExcel4Macro "RUN(""PERSONAL.XLS!BoldHead"")" wrong The code: Private Sub cmdRunMac_Click() Dim ExcelApp As Excel.Application Dim ExcelBook As Excel.Workbook Set ExcelApp = Excel.Application ExcelApp.Visible = True Set ExcelBook = ExcelApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and Settings\...

Link to Power Point
Hi, I placed a hyperlink to a powerpoint file on my web page. Upon clicking on the link the "Run/Save" window comes up. Is it possible to just have the Power Point file run without the "Run/Save" window coming up? If so, how? Thanks, -- Phil Posting a question 4 times isn't going to get you an answer any quicker. Try to be a bit more patient. Craig Phil wrote: >Hi, >I placed a hyperlink to a powerpoint file on my web page. Upon clicking on >the link the "Run/Save" window comes up. Is it possible to just have the >P...

Hyper link one column to another
I would like to have my columns hyper link one another. For example: Click on B2 would take you to N2, and vice-versa. Click on C2 would take you to O2... and so on through column j linked to V. Is this possible without having to make the link for each cell? This is a timesheet template and the columns b though J are the hours and N through V are the text comments for those hours. When I copy the template to a new sheet, there will be no data in any column. I would like to be able to enter an amount or formula (=end-start) for time spent and then be able to click on that cell and hyperlin...

Times Subtraction Whith Access
Hi I need to know how to subtract between two times variants and to get a time result (With Access). Like this: VarTime=[time1]-[time2] 10:05:40=18:05:50-08:00:10 Thanks Access really isn't intended to do things like that, but ?Format(#18:05:50# - #08:00:10#, "hh:nn:ss") 10:05:40 -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) <bennyzamir@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1175704084.566444.282820@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > I need to know how to subtract between two times variants and to get a > time res...

linking sheets
Hi All, How do i link my drop down list in a13 sheet 1 to column f in sheet 2. Hi Jinx if using Data Validation to create your drop down list the easiest way is to range name column F in sheet 2 (go to sheet 2, click on F, click in name box (left hand side of formula bar) type name (no spaces), press enter) then click in Sheet1!A13, choose Data / Validation, choose List - click IN the big white box, press you F3 key to bring up list of names in workbook, choose the name, click OK, click OK again and it should work fine. Hope this helps Cheers JulieD "Jinx" <anonymous@discus...

DAO, Access, zero-length strings?
How can you set that you want to allow zero-length strings in a MS Access database with DAO? Also, how can you set that you want default values? Access doesn't seem to allow "DEFAULT" property... ...

How do you access custom entities with javascript?
I'm about to pull my hair out. I have no problem accessing system attributes, but the second I try to get or set a value for a custom attribute, I get an error (null or not an object). My problem is I am checking the changed input to a field, and if it fails a certain criteria, I need to reset the original value. The best way I could think to do this was to store this value in a new attribute and then restore it if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. jsankovitch@gmail.com wrote: > I'm about to pull my hair out. I have no problem accessing system > attributes, b...

name badge labels
Now we have Office 2007 and I cannot figure out how to create a sheet of name badge labels. Are you using mail merge? If you are, select the your label from the page setup. If you are manually typing your badge labels, measure your labels and setup your page with grid guides. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Carol in Texas" <CarolinTexas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:626CC158-3AF1-4809-9BCE-C54E1FF42861@microsoft.com... > Now we have Office 2007 and I cannot figure out how to...

Importing into Access 2000
I have a text file 13187 characters long. It will not import or link. Any suggestions? Hi William, Suggestions? First one is to give us a bit more information: What happens when you try? Can you import other text files? What's different about this one? Separated or delimited? How many fields? Where did it originate? On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:57:16 -0800, "William Madison" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a text file 13187 characters long. It will not >import or link. Any suggestions? -- John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP] Please respond in th...

Import excel named range into Access error 3011
Hi, I've read a few posts on this topic, but none addresses my particular problem. I use Office 2003 on an XP SP3 machine. I am using transferspreadsheet to import a named range in an excel file into Access. This has worked beautifully until suddenly it stopped working. I find now that if I extract the address of the named range from within the Access VBA code, it looks like this: =#REF!$A$1:$Z$166 rather than this, which is what it should be: =Data!$A$1:$Z$166 When I open the spreadsheet and get the address of the named range in the immediate window, it also has the #REF error....

sent and received fields
I've just switched from Outlook Express to Outlook 2000. In one of my folders, I have sent and received emails that I want to sort together based on the sent or received date, but all my sent emails sort together because the received field has no value. And the same for the received emails. Is there a way to combine these fields or tell Outlook to sort based on both of them? Do I need to write a VBA macro to accomplish this? Thanks, Michael ...

Named ranges
Excel 2003 I have a total sheet that gets data from three different shift sheets (all in the same workbook) for a monthly report. I have named ranges on each shift sheet for each month's production data (S1M1, S1M2, S1M3, S2M1...) where S1M1 =A2:AC147, S1M2 = A148:AC329, etc. The old formula was:=SUMIF('SHIFT 1'!$L$1:$L$147,"BB",'SHIFT 1'!$T$1:$T$147). I'm stumped as to what the new formula would be - how would I direct Excel to column L of S1M1 to search for "BB", then add the contents of column T? The range changes each month, and I tho...