Access text box

I was trying to add text boxes to my database in form design view, which
worked fine up until the moment when i was back in form or table view. For
some reason when I add detail in one of the cells of the new column it was
automatically copied to every other cell in that new column. This has only
been happening with the new columns and the ones I created using the wizard
when starting the database seem to be working fine. What can I do about this?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On 25 mrt, 12:19, FernP <Fe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I was trying to add text boxes to my database in form design view, which
> worked fine up until the moment when i was back in form or table view. For
> some reason when I add detail in one of the cells of the new column it was
> automatically copied to every other cell in that new column. This has only
> been happening with the new columns and the ones I created using the wizard
> when starting the database seem to be working fine. What can I do about this?

I think you added the fields to the form only, not to the table the
form is based on.
If you intend to store the data, you add the field(s) to the table
first and then update the form.

Groeten,

Peter
http://access.xps350.com
0
XPS350
3/25/2010 1:00:35 PM
FernP -

How did you add the new text boxes?  Is there a default value?  What is the
control source?  Is there any event code that references the new text boxes
or that is run on events of the new text boxes?

--
Daryl S

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 04:19:01 -0700, FernP <FernP@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I was trying to add text boxes to my database in form design view, which
>worked fine up until the moment when i was back in form or table view. For
>some reason when I add detail in one of the cells of the new column it was
>automatically copied to every other cell in that new column. This has only
>been happening with the new columns and the ones I created using the wizard
>when starting the database seem to be working fine. What can I do about this?

You've made a very common mistake: confusing data *storage* with data
*presentation*.

Data is stored in tables, and ONLY in tables. A Form or a Textbox isn't a data
storage medium, it's a display tool - a window which lets you see data stored
in the Table. If (as you have done) you add a textbox to a form without any
connection to a table, it's not tied to any data, so you will see it repeated.

You'll need to open the Table in design view, and add your new fields to the
table; you can then open the Form in design view and open its Recordsource
query. Add the new fields to the query. You will then be able to "bind" the
new textboxes to the new field by setting the Control Source property of the
textbox.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

How to align text boxes?
I do a lot of forms using Excel. But I always have trouble lining up boxes that I need on the worksheet. Thanks. M.W. "M.W." <mhallock@spencerstv.com> wrote in news:1124314276.168774.123270 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > I do a lot of forms using Excel. But I always have trouble lining up > boxes that I need on the worksheet. > Text boxes? Select them all and: You can set the top and left position in properties (as you can height and width). Or, you can let them snap to the grid or to their relative position (Draw menu, Align or Distribute). -- It is ...

MAIL STUCK IN QUEUE ON OWA BOX
All outbound mail seems to be getting stuck in my OWA box's queue. Any idea how I can force it out? -- Thanks Do you mean that when you look at the queues in ESM you see them on the FE server. Do you have mailboxes on the FE server? Do you use it as the bridgehead for an SMTP connector? If no to both you don't need any mailboxes store on that box. Nue "TJC" <TJC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5FBF2DA5-BC35-4A83-B9F4-1777A15BC346@microsoft.com... > All outbound mail seems to be getting stuck in my OWA box's queue. Any > idea > ho...

Give us a Ribbon with tools we can use to make accessible document
I have spent the last year training our employees to use the toolbar Microsoft *should* have created for Word 2003 -- one that features all the commands needed to create an accessible document and none of the commands that lead you away from creating an accessible document. Ironically, these commands are also essential to understanding the power of Word and using it as a 21st-century word processor, not the electronic equivalent of safety scissors, construction paper, a pot of paste, and an 8-pack of crayons. (That description fits the buttons featured on Microsoft's default ...

Text Functions
I'm trying to split a text string ... Apart from it not working quite right yet! I'm sure I've over complicated it. Base Data "Path": \\SERVER\X$\data\Team Name\Personal Data\JOE BLOGGS\mail\ \\SERVER\X$\ \\SERVER\X$\RECYCLER\ \\SERVER\X$\$Extend\ \\SERVER\X$\$Extend\Test I'm trying to split into High Level Directory (HLD) / Team/User Directory (TUD) / Team/User Sub-Directory HLD: =IFERROR(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(Path,(SEARCH("\",Path,(SEARCH("\",Path,(SEARCH("X$",Path,1))+3))+1))),"\\SERVER\X$\",""),SUBS...

Using extended selection list box
Hi, I have a list box with the selection type set as extended. How can I retrieve all the selected items from this list box? GetSelItems is documented to only work with a multiple selection list box. Can I traverse through the list calling GetSel on every item or is there a more efficient way of doing this? Thanks. Mark >I have a list box with the selection type set as extended. How can I retrieve all the selected items from this list box? GetSelItems is documented to only work with a multiple selection list box. Mark, Have you tried GetSelItems with your extended selection listb...

Report Modifier, Text Box 'Can Grow' property?
Does the GP v7 report modifier have the ability to create fields that can grow? My example deals with address lines. I want to place address 1, 2 and 3 in a single text box that will expand or shrink if any fields are blank. I didn't see this capability anywhere. Maybe I could do this using the VB modifier but I'm trying to stay away from that. Thanks Kevin Russell Not really grow as such. You will have to investigate using a calculated field to put the three address lines together. It will require using concatenation to add the fields together and the Strip function to remove...

OT : Access query
Which would be the best newsgroup to ask in? I tried microsoft.public.access, but that groups looks completely dead. -- Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me) Try microsoft.public.access.queries Paul Hyett wrote: > Which would be the best newsgroup to ask in? > > I tried microsoft.public.access, but that groups looks completely dead. -- Debra Dalgleish Contextures http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html On Sat, 3 May 2008 at 09:22:13, Debra Dalgleish <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in microsoft.public.excel : >T...

Automatic deleting of Text ?
I receive regular and a substantial number of (acceptable) messages which contain, at the foot of the message, a "PRIVACY & CONFIDENTIALTY NOTICE". This message is added to the original message automatically, but is clearly not required, nor it it required on replies, which then generate another version of the notice. Is it possible to create a VB script that could do this, perhaps from a toolbar command. Although the actual place of the message will naturally vary (from the start of the message) depending on its length, but it will always be the (around 20) last lines of the me...

Check Box with a Bitmap
Hello everybody, I've got the following question: I would like to use a check box with the BS_AUTOCHECK,BS_PUSHLIKE style. Furthermore I want to display a bitmap (bitmap1) on top of this check box - button. When I push the button it should show me another bitmap (bitmap2). Pushing again should show me the first one again... -> use as a toogle. But I can't get it to work. Trying with 2 strings -> no problem. With SetBitmap() and 2 bitmaps -> no failure, but also no bitmaps displayed. Somebody an idea? It would help if you gave it the BS_BITMAP style. "Paul C." &...

Change Message Box vb
I want to change this code so as that when you select OK it stops the operation of the button! Thanks for any help...Bob ......... If recHorseOwners.EOF = True And recHorseOwners.BOF = True Then recHorseOwners.Close Set recHorseOwners = Nothing MsgBox "This Horse Has No Owner At ALL.", vbApplicationModal + vbOKOnly + vbInformation .Fields("CompanyID") = Nz(recTmpOwner.Fields("CompanyID"), 0) .Fields("InvoiceID") = lngInvoiceID .Fields("HorseID") = val(tbHorseID.value) ...

Excel crashes when I try to access on Help.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I just installed Office 12.1.9 on my iMac 8.1 , and most apps work ok. However, Excel crashes whenever I try to get Help, i.e., if I click on the Help menu. This only happens in Excel, not in Word or PowerPoint, for example. I tried deleting the Preference file com.microsoft.Excel.plist and restarting Excel, but this did not help. I have done the usual things, rebooting the computer, running the Disk Utility to fix permissions, etc. Now what? I was one of those who encountered the error that there was "nothing to u...

Comma & Quote Delimited Text
Using Excell 2000 I used the knowledge base to convert my file to comma & quote delimited it worked great except my first cell is missing the "s - any suggestions? Barb, It only puts quotes around fields that contain quotes or commas. They're not normally needed otherwise. If you need quotes around all fields, try the Text Write Program at www.tushar-mehta.com. Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Barb" <bsnyder@styer-evans.com> wrote in message news:2A45B4C5-D202-456E-8557-C1E2FD313E17@microso...

How do I process text file?
Hello all. I am using VB 2008 and need to process text fies. Looking at MSDN Lib I see that two methods are used to read a text file: Using StreamReader Dim fileReader As System.IO.StreamReader Using ReadAlltext Dim fileReader As String fileReader = My.Computer.FileSystem.ReadAllText("C:\test.txt") Is one preferred obver the other? Any considerations I should look into? Although the files that will be processed are text, I have seen a "bad" non ASCII character get into them. I validate for this condition, but given the fact that it is a non ASCII char,...

Can one access newsgroups from Outlook?
thanks In a way, yes. It calls for Outlook Express for this action. see: Outlookhelp - Support for Microsoft Office Outlook http://www.howto-outlook.com/Faq/news.htm "d p" <dp25@access-4-free.com> wrote in message news:%23ZttKlS9EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > thanks > > Thanks so much Walt ... a life saver. "Walt Basil" <see_signature@for_address.com> wrote in message news:#WV4VzS9EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > In a way, yes. It calls for Outlook Express for this action. > > see: > Outlookhelp - Support for Microsoft Offic...

= Text formula problem
Hi Everyone, I am using an excel spreadsheet as a linked table in an access database for an update query. I had it working very nicely for a period of time. I am not sure if some Microsoft update caused a problem or what. The field I use t o update my database didn't work until I used this formula to make a new row. I have a column of numbers which was retrieved from a data miner program it's called Acct. For some reason Access doesn't like the formatting so I insert a blank column to the right and call that PtNum. In the first cell of this column which is C2, I type ...

Resizing "comments" boxes in a workbook all at once
I do not know how I did it but all my comments (about 200 of them) defaulted to a size that makes them almost invisible with only the tails showing. The only way I can resize them is by going into each one and change the shape. I gave up after about 50 and I am now desperate for the information contained in all comments boxes. Is there a way of making all the boxes the same size in one go? How did I manage to screw up and how do I avoid doing it again. Thanks Rita You could resize them programmatically. There's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#Re...

Exchange 2003 OWA shared calendar access
Hi We are using Exchange 2003 with both OWA and outlook 2003 clients. I have set the permissions on everyones calendar so everybody has reviewer access to each other calendars. All calendars can be opened when using Outlook 2003. However when using OWA only some calendars can be opened and others are stating "You are not authorized to view this page" when trying to open them even though the permissions have been set to access them. I am trying to access them by typing http://servername/exchange/username/calendar Any ideas would be greatfully received Colin ...

Excel name boxes
How do I change or delete a name in an Excel name box? (A name box is the white rectangle in the upper left corner of an Excel page that shows the cell address, e.g. Q143. You can change the 'name' of the cell from the cell address to a description, e.g. Sales-Other and click it from a drop down menu at the name box instead of scrolling to it.) You're referring to a named range. On the main menu, click >Insert >Name >Define. The full population of named ranges will show in the drop down: you can edit, delete, expand etc from that list. To change or delete a name: ...

How to create and access (add/delete mails) .PST file at runtime?
Hi, I need to store selected mails into some different .pst file at runtime. Also want to access those mails in .pst at runtime. I can import and export mails into .MSG file. But it is hard to maintain mails as .msg files. My queries are, 1. How to create/open .PST file at runtime ? 2. How to add/delete (import/export) mails (any format like .MSG, ..EML, etc.,) into .PST at runtime ? Is there any way to handle this kind of situation thru Outlook object model or CDO or Extended MAPI or Redemption or any other way? Thanks in advance with best regards, Kumar 1. Use Namespace.AddStore/Re...

Text after non-breaking space truncated: Publisher 2003 WinXP
Hello All, Watch out folks! If you are using non-breaking spaces in your Pub docs and edit your story in Work (Edit-->Edit Story in Word), beware that the character after the non-breaking space is truncated. Also, when you close the Word edit window and return to Pub the characters are truncated in the original Pub doc. Kinda scary. If some one has time, can you test it and see if you get the same behavior. Thanks in advance ...

how do i show text in the data field of a pivot table?
If you put a text field into the data area of a pivot table, it will summarize the field to show a count, instead of showing the text. You can place the text fields in the Row, Column or Page areas, where their text will show. pum75 wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Access database link
Am not a Visio user, am an Access person - - - the user makes Visio drawings is not technical. On the drawing are values. These values do not change the shape or size of the image of the drawing - they are just data surrounding the image. This data is already in an Access database and is used for reports and such. User needs Access Table - record 1 data to appear in drawing 1 record 2 data to appear in drawing 2 If he opens drawing 2 - the current data would populate (from record 2 of Table). So if the values in the record changed/updated in the ...

convert month text (MAR) to month number (3)
I am trying to work with a data set that unfortunately has spit out all the dates in a text format - i.e. 03/01/2009 is MAR 3 2009. Is there a way to convert that text date to an actual date format? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200912/1 Debug.Print CDate("MAR 3 2009") = 3/3/2009 One problem with the CDate function is that it will bomb out on things that can't be evaluated as a date. Therefore you may want to use the IsDate fun...

Lost original message when using outlook web access
I often use web access when travelling to get my work emails. When forwrdign and replying to emails, I always have the orginal email in tact and as part of the reply. However, when accessing from home on the internet, I lose the orginal email so that when I reply or forward there's nothing there. I also can't paste or copy into or from the message body. Is this problem easily fixed. Jim Assuming Outlook 2000 - though something like this will probably work for every version ... it just might not be in the same menu location. Go to Tools - Options - Preferences - Email option...

Name Drop-Down Box
I've got a 50 sheet excel document and i want to create names to get m to A1 on every page, so I don't have to scroll left and right all th time. So, here's my problem. I would like to increase the number of names shown when i click th drop down box. Right now it shows 7, in Office 2003. I would love t increase that to show 50, or else I�m not really getting th functionality I�m looking for. I think this will take some kind of registry tweak. Does anyone know how/where I can? Thanks in advance, Chri -- cbh3571 ----------------------------------------------------------------...