Access Security 09-20-07

Hi. Can anyone tell me whether there's another way to secure database other
than using "User-level security" ?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Firz,

You can use a database password:
    Tools | Security | Set Database Password

You can encrypt the data:
    Tools | Security | Encode/Decode Database

You (rather, your network administrator) can manage access/execute
permissions to the folder in which the database is stored.

Regards,
Graham R Seach
Microsoft Access MVP
Office DevCon 2007. Sydney Australia. Will you be there?
Sydney, Australia
http://www.block.net.au/devcon/index.htm

"Firz" <Firz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Can anyone tell me whether there's another way to secure database
> other
> than using "User-level security" ?

0
Graham
9/20/2007 7:27:36 AM
At this moment, I have 2 databases with the exact same designs. The only
difference are the permissions set to them. I believed that by using
"User-level security", the administrator can grant users access to different
tables, forms, queries and etc according to his wishes. So I was wondering
whether there is any other way to achieve this?

For e.g User A is allowed to access a particular table/form only by
read-only while User B is allowed to have the permission to have write
permission on it.

"Graham R Seach" wrote:

> Firz,
>
> You can use a database password:
>     Tools | Security | Set Database Password
>
> You can encrypt the data:
>     Tools | Security | Encode/Decode Database
>
> You (rather, your network administrator) can manage access/execute
> permissions to the folder in which the database is stored.
>
> Regards,
> Graham R Seach
> Microsoft Access MVP
> Office DevCon 2007. Sydney Australia. Will you be there?
> Sydney, Australia
> http://www.block.net.au/devcon/index.htm
>

> "Firz" <Firz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. Can anyone tell me whether there's another way to secure database
> > other
> > than using "User-level security" ?

Forms 07-27-07
Hi, A VB Code is used that has the following line: Me.Visible = False (Me refers to the forms names frmBirthsearch) After this line a second form (form2) is opned based on a query that reads two dates from the frmBirthsearch using the line code: DoCmd.OpenForm "frmBirthdates", acViewNormal at this point frmbearthsearh is hidden. What command shold I add after this in order to close the frmbirthsearch? ...

comdlg32.ocx and Access 2007
I have several Access databases that were originally written using an Access version prior to Access 2007. I am in the process of converting the databases and installing them on new machines running Win7 and Access 2007. Over the years, one of the References I commonly used was comdlg32.ocx. It does not appear that either Win7 or Access 2007 installs that particular Active X file. I can copy it from an older machine, but that seems like a strange solution. Is comdlg32.ocx a "legacy" Active X file and has it been replaced with a newer (and differently named) Activ...

Securing OWA
Is there is step by step article on securing OWA 2003? TIA Here are a few to start with: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234022 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320291 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823024 http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/SSL_Enabling_OWA_2003.html http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299525 "Kelly" wrote: > Is there is step by step article on securing OWA 2003? > > TIA > ...

Inserting Excel into Access Reports

Simple Access counting queries

Expression Too Complex in Access 2000
Hi, Consider the following query: SELECT crTbl.acct_1, crTbl.amount, crTbl.date FROM crTbl WHERE (((crTbl.acct_1)="Supplies") AND ((crTbl.date) Between [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![startDate] And [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![endDate])); The query works fine on my own computer in Access 2002. When converted to Access 2000 and used on an other computer, I get the following error: "This expression is typed incorrectly or is too complex to be evaluated. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to variables." The problem is with the "Between...

groups detail section totals access 2003
Hi all, I know this can be done, but haven't figured out how yet. I have what basically is a summary report that my sql comes up with for the detail rows. I want to total these rows in the report and display immediately below the detail section. I don't really want to group anything, but want to treat the whole detail section as a group. That being said, how can I get a "group footer" on the designer so I can add my total columns. If I use "sorting and grouping", it starts grouping things and that is not what I want. I don't want to use the "page foo...

Need help on a formula 05-20-10

Subform question 04-09-10
I have a form (Form1) that contains a subform (Subform1). Within this subform I have a combo box which, depending on what is chosen, pops up another form (Popup1)for additional information. I need this additional information in the form that pops up to be 'linked' with the subform. The problem I am running into is that when the user enters information in Popup1, the table has not been populated witht he data that is in the subform so there is no record to 'link' to. What is the best way to force te esubform to pass its information to the table? Thanks i...

sending mail 05-20-10
The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'michael.porth@bafin.be'. Subject 'Hello', Account: 'pop-server.tampabay.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com', Protocol: SMT...

Remote access to another company's Outlook calendar?
Hello! I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version not known yet). How can the remote company share this person's calendar with my client? He would need to access it and add appointments to it. Thank you for the help! Gregg Hill On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:15:24 -0700, "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote: >Hello! > >I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an >employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version no...

Enable/Disable a Form Control Based on Security Group Permissions
How do I enable or disable a control in a form based on a user’s security group membership? For example: If I have a checkbox on a form (call it box1), I want box1 to be enabled if the user who opened Access is a member of a security group called “Breaker Test Admin.” For members of any other group (except of course “Admins”), box1 should be disabled. Thank you, for your help! On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:57:13 GMT, "BenS" <u35527@uwe> wrote: >How do I enable or disable a control in a form based on a user�s security >group membership? For example: If I have a checkbox on a ...

Can't connect to Exchange server after VPN access
I can connect to my office Exchange server when in the office (LAN) but I cannot connect outside with Outlook. I can only use the webmail after entering a web VPN access: - First portal for VPN : https://xxx.yyy.com --> I enter my user_VPN/password_VPN - On the next web page, I have the choice for the webmail and it's a link as https://xxx.yyy.com/go/webmail.yyy.com~ssl where I can enter my user_mail/password_mail So I can't enter the url in RPC as every slash is forbidden In my Outlook, the Exchange server (EXC.yyy.com) is not reachable by ping (or tracert) and I can't ...

Securities with closed positions are being deleted
I am using Money 2006 Deluxe--having upgraded from the 2003 Money Business version. It appears that my closed security positions are being deleted automatically 60 days after selling the last shares. Price history for these securities is also deleted. I believe that in Money 2003 (Business) that I used a setting that is causing this (the results, however, were not my intent). Money 2006 does not appear to have such a setting. How can I stop this from happening now for securities that I will be selling? How can I recover the "lost data" How can I force Money 2006 to pic...

Access 2007 12-17-09
I am building a contact data base for my church. How do I get the phone field to automatically format like this (xxx) xxx-xxxx when the numbers are typed in the cell? -- Thank You In the form design view select the phone control and open the properties dialog. Goto the Data tab and use the Input Mask to define the format you wish to use. If you click on the ... to the right hand side on the property you will get another dialog where there are predefined input mask or you can define your own. For instance, I use !\(999") "000\-0000;0;_ to format my telepho...

CRM Security Problems
Hi Group, I have developed a windows service that hits the CRM database everynight to create some e-mails that need to be sent out to customers in the morning. Eventually these will be automatically sent, but for now, we want to manually send them in order to audit what is going out. Here is the problem. THe service is running under the same account as the installation was run under, integration account with full sysadmin. The e-mails are created by this account, however, the activity party xml is sent in to assign the e-mail to a particular user and even set that user as the owner of the e-...

Can Entourage be used to access Google Groups
I am in the process of switching from PC to Mac. In Entourage, I see this news server. Can I get some of my newsgroups in Google Groups to show on Entourage or Mac Mail? Responses off group will be welcome if I have asked something everyone except me knows. Thanks, Michael Plog On 1/31/10 3:25 PM, Michael Plog wrote: > I am in the process of switching from PC to Mac. In Entourage, I see this > news server. Can I get some of my newsgroups in Google Groups to show on > Entourage or Mac Mail? > > Responses off group will be welcome if I have asked something e...

Publish A Workbook Onto The Web, Then Access Using My Web Browser.
How do I access my spreadsheet, or workbook, on the web once I've saved it as a webpage from the file menu? I've found that even though I've save my workbook as a webpage, it does not have an http:// address which I can type in my web browser to access the workbook from my home computer or from a remote computer. Should I have to sign up with an http:// service provider or can this all be done from using Microsoft Office XP without going through a third-party? -- sigmad You have to have a website first of all, otherwise, where do you want to host this page? "sigmad&q...

Deletion settings in Mailbox Store Properties
Our company would like to enforce a policy to permanently delete items 30 days or older from each mailboxes Deleted items folder. The mailboxes all reside on the Exchange 2003 server. Under Mailbox Store Properties, Deletion settings, the Keep deleted items for (days) is set to 30, yet the items are not being deleted. My thoughts are that it is because we do not have the Mailbox Manager scheduled to run. Is that correct? I am a little hesitant to run it because I am worried about what else it might "manage". I only see one recipient policy and that is for email addresses. ...

After update 10-31-07
I'm using an After Update event on a form to update one field with the current date when a checkbox is checked, but the date doesn't display until I scroll down the form. Is there some way to get the date to display right after the box is checked (or at least once the next record is selected)? Thanks, Tom -- Thanks, Tom Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200710/1 Sounds like you have a control that has a Name that is different from the name of the date field. In the AfterUpdate code, use the name of the control,...

link file from virtual windows xp to access 2007 on windows 7 plat
I am trying to link a paradox db file to access 2007 db. The paradox file resides on a virtual windows xp platform within the windows 7 platform of the physical machine. How do I map this field into access? -- cblackman ...

RESUME 05-20-07
JACQUELINE BENOIT 1792 NW 20TH AVE. FT Lauderdale FL. 33311 954-479-9110 954-636 1305 OBJECTIVE: To obtain a position as a Medical assistant that allows the use and expansion of my training and skills. EDUCATION: National School of Technology Diploma, Medical Assisting 2/07 Nursing: Florida Academy of Health and Beauty Wilton, Manors. FL CLINICAL SKILLS: Venipuncture EKG's Vital Signs Autoclave /Urinalysis Specimen Collection ADMINISTRATIVE SKILLS: Knowledge of medical terminology Phone Triage Front Office Skills Appointment Setting Medisoft CPT/ICD-9 coding Medica...