Access Reports in VB6

--B_3341467740_2106995

Hello everyone,

I am programming a simple VB6 program to add data to an Access DB and
retrieve reports from it depending on the criteria.

I was trying to create the reports inside VB6 using the DATAREPORTS but I
was unsuccessful because I realized it was hard to create the print outs and
group them. I was not able to group them.

So I then used the Access Reports to create the reports I needed, which
worked beautifully. It gave me all the data I needed, but I don't want users
to open the Access DB and go to reports in order to see them because they
just might mess with other parts of the DB. The problem I'm having right now
is how to printout or show those reports I made from Access in my program.

1. Is there any way you guys can tell me how to do this, or is there another
method to simplify what I plan on doing.? How do I printout Access Reports
from VB6.

2. Is there a way I can create these reports in VB other than in Access.?

3. Using this connection how would I go about grouping it by NAME because
every time I try it gives me an error saying that I tried to use an
operation that did not include �one of the fields below�:
    rs.open "SELECT FROM name, dateadded, credit, debit, paid FROM
customers"

Thank you in advanced for all you help.

Best regards,
Altair Brito

--B_3341467740_2106995

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Access Reports in VB6</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:11pt'>Hello everyone,<BR>
<BR>
I am programming a simple VB6 program to add data to an Access DB and retri=
eve reports from it depending on the criteria. <BR>
<BR>
I was trying to create the reports inside <B>VB6</B> using the <B>DATAREPOR=
TS</B> but I was unsuccessful because I realized it was hard to create the p=
rint outs and group them. I was not able to group them. <BR>
<BR>
So I then used the Access Reports to create the reports I needed, which wor=
ked beautifully. It gave me all the data I needed, but I don't want users to=
 open the Access DB and go to reports in order to see them because they just=
 might mess with other parts of the DB. The problem I'm having right now is =
how to printout or show those reports I made from Access in my program. <BR>
<BR>
<B>1</B>. Is there any way you guys can tell me how to do this, or is there=
 another method to simplify what I plan on doing.? How do I printout Access =
Reports from VB6.<BR>
<BR>
<B>2</B>. Is there a way I can create these reports in VB other than in Acc=
ess.?<BR>
<BR>
<B>3</B>. Using this connection how would I go about grouping it by NAME be=
cause every time I try it gives me an error saying that I tried to use an op=
eration that did not include &#8220;one of the fields below&#8221;:<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;rs.open &quot;<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FE">SELECT FROM</FO=
NT> name, dateadded, credit, debit, paid <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FE">FROM</FONT> c=
ustomers&quot;<BR>
<BR>
Thank you in advanced for all you help.<BR>
<BR>
Best regards,<BR>
Altair Brito</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3341467740_2106995--

0
Altair
11/19/2009 10:29:00 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

------=_NextPart_000_0684_01CA68F0.AF40F4F0

Access Reports in VB6You could use Access automation to open access and =
run the reports, however most people using VB would use another =
reporting tool like ActiveReports or Crystal reports.

You could think about changing your program to be in Access instead of =
VB6 and use the access runtime if needed.  If you go this route of =
course you would use Access for the reporting.

My two cents,
Mark Andrews
RPT Software
http://www.rptsoftware.com

  "Altair Brito" <altairbrito@leaf-media.net> wrote in message =
  Hello everyone,

  I am programming a simple VB6 program to add data to an Access DB and =
retrieve reports from it depending on the criteria.=20

  I was trying to create the reports inside VB6 using the DATAREPORTS =
but I was unsuccessful because I realized it was hard to create the =
print outs and group them. I was not able to group them.=20

  So I then used the Access Reports to create the reports I needed, =
which worked beautifully. It gave me all the data I needed, but I don't =
want users to open the Access DB and go to reports in order to see them =
because they just might mess with other parts of the DB. The problem I'm =
having right now is how to printout or show those reports I made from =
Access in my program.=20

  1. Is there any way you guys can tell me how to do this, or is there =
another method to simplify what I plan on doing.? How do I printout =
Access Reports from VB6.

  2. Is there a way I can create these reports in VB other than in =
Access.?

  3. Using this connection how would I go about grouping it by NAME =
because every time I try it gives me an error saying that I tried to use =
an operation that did not include "one of the fields below":
      rs.open "SELECT FROM name, dateadded, credit, debit, paid FROM =
customers"

  Thank you in advanced for all you help.

  Best regards,
  Altair Brito
------=_NextPart_000_0684_01CA68F0.AF40F4F0

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Access Reports in VB6</TITLE>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>You could use Access automation to open =
access and=20
run the reports, however most people using VB would use another =
reporting tool=20
like ActiveReports or Crystal reports.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>You could think about changing your =
program to be=20
in Access instead of VB6 and use the access runtime if needed.&nbsp; If =
you go=20
this route of course you would use Access for the =
reporting.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>My two cents,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Mark Andrews</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>RPT Software</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><A=20
href=3D"http://www.rptsoftware.com">http://www.rptsoftware.com</A></FONT>=
</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Altair Brito" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:altairbrito@leaf-media.net">altairbrito@leaf-media.net</A>=
&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:C72AC05C.2367%altairbrito@leaf-media.net">news:C72AC05C.2367=
%altairbrito@leaf-media.net</A>...</DIV><FONT=20
  face=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Hello =
everyone,<BR><BR>I am=20
  programming a simple VB6 program to add data to an Access DB and =
retrieve=20
  reports from it depending on the criteria. <BR><BR>I was trying to =
create the=20
  reports inside <B>VB6</B> using the <B>DATAREPORTS</B> but I was =
unsuccessful=20
  because I realized it was hard to create the print outs and group =
them. I was=20
  not able to group them. <BR><BR>So I then used the Access Reports to =
create=20
  the reports I needed, which worked beautifully. It gave me all the =
data I=20
  needed, but I don't want users to open the Access DB and go to reports =
in=20
  order to see them because they just might mess with other parts of the =
DB. The=20
  problem I'm having right now is how to printout or show those reports =
I made=20
  from Access in my program. <BR><BR><B>1</B>. Is there any way you guys =
can=20
  tell me how to do this, or is there another method to simplify what I =
plan on=20
  doing.? How do I printout Access Reports from VB6.<BR><BR><B>2</B>. Is =
there a=20
  way I can create these reports in VB other than in =
Access.?<BR><BR><B>3</B>.=20
  Using this connection how would I go about grouping it by NAME because =
every=20
  time I try it gives me an error saying that I tried to use an =
operation that=20
  did not include =93one of the fields =
below=94:<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;rs.open=20
  "<FONT color=3D#0000fe>SELECT FROM</FONT> name, dateadded, credit, =
debit, paid=20
  <FONT color=3D#0000fe>FROM</FONT> customers"<BR><BR>Thank you in =
advanced for=20
  all you help.<BR><BR>Best regards,<BR>Altair Brito</SPAN></FONT>=20
</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0684_01CA68F0.AF40F4F0--

0
Mark
11/19/2009 1:17:06 PM
On 11/19/09 12:17 PM, in article ei7PgqRaKHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
"Mark Andrews" <mandrewsNOSPAM@rptsoftware.com> wrote:

> Access Reports in VB6You could use Access automation to open access and run
> the reports, however most people using VB would use another reporting tool
> like ActiveReports or Crystal reports.
>
> You could think about changing your program to be in Access instead of VB6 and
> use the access runtime if needed.  If you go this route of course you would
> use Access for the reporting.
>
> My two cents,
> Mark Andrews
> RPT Software
> http://www.rptsoftware.com
>
>   "Altair Brito" <altairbrito@leaf-media.net> wrote in message
>   Hello everyone,
>
>   I am programming a simple VB6 program to add data to an Access DB and
> retrieve reports from it depending on the criteria.
>
>   I was trying to create the reports inside VB6 using the DATAREPORTS but I
> was unsuccessful because I realized it was hard to create the print outs and
> group them. I was not able to group them.
>
>   So I then used the Access Reports to create the reports I needed, which
> worked beautifully. It gave me all the data I needed, but I don't want users
> to open the Access DB and go to reports in order to see them because they just
> might mess with other parts of the DB. The problem I'm having right now is how
> to printout or show those reports I made from Access in my program.
>
>   1. Is there any way you guys can tell me how to do this, or is there another
> method to simplify what I plan on doing.? How do I printout Access Reports
> from VB6.
>
>   2. Is there a way I can create these reports in VB other than in Access.?
>
>   3. Using this connection how would I go about grouping it by NAME because
> every time I try it gives me an error saying that I tried to use an operation
> that did not include "one of the fields below":
>       rs.open "SELECT FROM name, dateadded, credit, debit, paid FROM
> customers"
>
>   Thank you in advanced for all you help.
>
>   Best regards,
>   Altair Brito

Thank you for your quick response. So how would I go about creating Crystal
reports in VB6.?

A.Brito

0
Altair
11/20/2009 10:18:18 AM
I'm more of an Access guy.  You use some kind of Crystal control that serves
as the report viewer and you use the Crystal product to write the report
itself.  There should be lots of examples of creating a crystal report
in VB6.  However VB6 is getting kinda old, perhaps you should be using .net?

Try this to start:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_en&q=using+crystal+reports+with+vb6

Mark

> On 11/19/09 12:17 PM, in article ei7PgqRaKHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
> "Mark Andrews" <mandrewsNOSPAM@rptsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> Access Reports in VB6You could use Access automation to open access and
>> run
>> the reports, however most people using VB would use another reporting
>> tool
>> like ActiveReports or Crystal reports.
>>
>> You could think about changing your program to be in Access instead of
>> VB6 and
>> use the access runtime if needed.  If you go this route of course you
>> would
>> use Access for the reporting.
>>
>> My two cents,
>> Mark Andrews
>> RPT Software
>> http://www.rptsoftware.com
>>
>>   "Altair Brito" <altairbrito@leaf-media.net> wrote in message
>>   Hello everyone,
>>
>>   I am programming a simple VB6 program to add data to an Access DB and
>> retrieve reports from it depending on the criteria.
>>
>>   I was trying to create the reports inside VB6 using the DATAREPORTS but
>> was unsuccessful because I realized it was hard to create the print outs
>> and
>> group them. I was not able to group them.
>>
>>   So I then used the Access Reports to create the reports I needed, which
>> worked beautifully. It gave me all the data I needed, but I don't want
>> users
>> to open the Access DB and go to reports in order to see them because they
>> just
>> might mess with other parts of the DB. The problem I'm having right now
>> is how
>> to printout or show those reports I made from Access in my program.
>>
>>   1. Is there any way you guys can tell me how to do this, or is there
>> another
>> method to simplify what I plan on doing.? How do I printout Access
>> Reports
>> from VB6.
>>
>>   2. Is there a way I can create these reports in VB other than in
>> Access.?
>>
>>   3. Using this connection how would I go about grouping it by NAME
>> because
>> every time I try it gives me an error saying that I tried to use an
>> operation
>> that did not include "one of the fields below":
>>       rs.open "SELECT FROM name, dateadded, credit, debit, paid FROM
>> customers"
>>
>>   Thank you in advanced for all you help.
>>
>>   Best regards,
>>   Altair Brito
>
> Thank you for your quick response. So how would I go about creating
> Crystal
> reports in VB6.?
>
> A.Brito

0
Mark

Access denied error when accessing notes under one account
I have full rights to everything in CRM. There is only one account out of many in our CRM database that have this problem. The problem is when you click on the notes tab to the left side you get an access denied error. I can go into any other section for that account without a problem. Other CMR users get the same message as I. Any ideas on how to fix this? It sounds liike a Security Descriptior got messed up. If you contact MBS support, they have a tool that can repair the security descriptors. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM <Admin.Matthew@gmail.com> wrote in message news:11...

Export report to PDF
Is there a way to add PDF as an option for printing reports? >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to add PDF as an option for printing reports? >. >I recommend you to download FinePrint PDF factory from www.fineprint.com o lookup PDF creator (freeware) from www.softonic.com This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00D4_01C479C2.975AC0A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I believe you can also do this using Acrobat Professional 6.0 which has = the PDFMaker printer driver installed ...

Year-To-Date Query or Report
Does anyone have information on where I can find or how to do a YTD query or report? Thanks, Ron Here's a starting point: Subquery basics: Year to date at: http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html#YTD -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "rwr" <rwr@robcom.com> wrote in message news:%23yz6K72aHHA.4396@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Does anyone have information on where I can find or how to do a YTD > query or report? > &g...

Exclude Data of Access
Dear all, I'm trying to exclude some data in my access table, but the code bellow doesn't work. I need that excel to exclude all data in the table that contains a criteria in two range of excel. It's the message error: "no value was supplied for an or more necessary parameters" For example: Table accounting_code profit_center date value salary 3 01/01/07 100 I have the range a1 for the profit_center and range a2 for the date. Then I will put in range a1 =3D 3 and a2 =3D 01/01/07, then I will click in a butto...

Custom report with Z/ZZ report info?
Here is the situation. Our new customer does not want to give the ability to their cashiers to PRINT Z and ZZ reports; however, they need them to Z and ZZ out every day. The owners then go to their back office computer and view/print their Z reports from there. They go through journal and reprint the reports, but they find it a bit tedious. I would like to generate a custom report that shows the same information as Z reports or even a cumulative report for the entire day. This report should show the cashier, the cashiers in and out times, the cashiers totals in cash, and the cashiers t...

daily user access denied
Hi There, I have done a couple of deployment for partners and 1 for a customer with integration. On one of the partner deployments I have the following daily error. If no person with the administrator rights are logged into the system ALL other users gets thrown off the application. While in this state all users can work perfectly to file sharing on the server, print, exchange are working fine for them. CRM will only strart to work again when the user with CRM admin rights logs into the environment.?? Any suggestions? Regards Warren ...

budgets, reports and credit card payments
could someone PLEASE help me. For some reason the payment of my credit cards is being recorded as a zero sum transaction in all of my budgets and reports, with the amount withdrawn from my checking account being equal to the amount paid to my cc company. So, now in all of my reports I have a value of $0 for credit card payments. I've tried reclassifying my payment to multiple different expenses but I still can't get this to work properly. Can anyone help? You should record your payment from your checking account as a transfer to your relevant credit card account in Money and t...

Access 2003
Most of users can open the database fine when it is already open. There are several people that cannot open the database when it is already open via windows explorer. If they open Access and open the file through Access it works fine. If the file is not already open, the users have no problems opening the file. Please help! Alicia All users of the database must have at least read, write, create, delete (or modify) privileges to the folder holding the database file. Not just the database .mdb file, but the entire folder. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick t...

Accessing member variables in main class from a socket object
Hi, I have a main class that creates an instance of another class which happens to be an asynchronous CAsyncSocket object. Various events trigger member functions of thissocket class to be called like send() and receive(); My main class has lots of public data members. I want to access some of these members from the CAsyncSocket class and am a little confused as to the best way to so this apart from making these data members global to the project which I do not want to do. Thanks for your help. Yasoo wrote: >Ooops, if you need a class prototype, it's > >class mainclass; I...

Help installing Report Manager
Hi, thanks for any help. Would any one please help clarify. I have read the instructions for installing the report manager on CRM 1.2 and I am wondering if they have left something out. They say to install the ReportManager into a virual directory... Which one? The one inwhich CRM resides? Or are you supposed to create a website 1st and create a new folder for ReportManager to live in? Does the ReportManager site need a host header? Does it need a DNS entry? -or- Are you supposed to go into IIS and create a virtual inside of the CRM website directory? The error I get when i try to ...

Reporting on user logon and time in CRM
Is there any possible way to report on when users log into CRM and how long they are in? Any thoughts or insight is greatly appreciated. Regards, Sean Aaron and I bounced a couple of ideas around before he left, but we never came up with anything that would work consistently. The problem is that the whole nature of HTTP is that it's stateless. We get around some of that by caching a bit of information in the application tier, and that was the core of the original idea. That is, could we use the cache insert time to determine, within the cache timeout time, the last time a user conn...

Time scale axis should be available in PivotChart Report. #2
We should be able to time scale the X axis in PivotChart Reports. Pivot Charts are very usefull. I don't see any good reason to lose the time scale propety while doing a PivotChart Report. ...

Access
I have a form, and a sub form. WHen you are done entering data on the sub form and click add new records (>*) I want to return to the the main form - but the cursor stays on the sub form. I can't find a way to attach a macro when you click new record to close the sub form and open the main form. HELP! You can click the new record navigation button on the main form to go to a new record simultaneously in the main form and subfom. Put the following code in the Current event of the main form: If Me.NewRecord Then Me!NameOfFirstFieldOn MainForm.SetFocus End If The code will ta...

RMS Report Builder
What reporting tool does RMS use? I see that the report files have a .QRP extension, which is either QuickReports (doubtful, as that is a Delphi tool), Centura Report Builder, or Liberty for Windows report file. The file can be edited directly in NotePad. If I knew what reporting tool it used, I might be able to find a tutorial or some documentation. I'm trying to customize a report. I've been able to add tables to the query, and add fields and expressions to the column list. I'd like the report to sort by a non-grouped field (customizing the Detailed Sales report, and I w...

can I have a fill-in field in a report ?
I have a report that gives a value in the report footer. The value needs to be in euros, numbers and words. I can calculate the numbers okay, but as far as I am aware there is no function to convert numbers into words in Dutch. Thus, I need to have a fill-in field for the value in words, with the prompt including the value in numbers ! Is this possible ???? I will be eternally grateful for any answers ... Rod See: Convert Currency ($500) into words (Five Hundred Dollars) at: http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0001.htm Since you clearly understand English as well, it shoul...

Outlook 2003
I wrote a macro in Excel that sends out an email. I am using Office 2003. When the email tries to send, I get a message box pop up: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" This was a problem in Office 2000 but there was a fix to get around it. I can't find any way around this in Office 2003. I found Microsoft article http://office.microsoft.com/en0us/assistance/HA011127891033 ..aspx but it is not much help. It wasy to contact the vendor of the software that is accessing Outlook. In this case the vend...

Access as a Service
Near as I can tell, Access runs as a service under XP and maybe the same under Server 2003. I have two questions and requests for information... We purchased a dual processor machine a while ago, and to our dismay, Access only used 1 of the CPU's, even when we ran Multiple Access programs symultaneously. We even tried to run Access 2003 and Access 2007 against each other to try to get the second CPU to be used, to no avail. Does anyone know how start Access as a second service, and further to direct that service to use the second CPU? We are considering a major update to a single...

Renaming Reporting Services
Hello, I changed the name of server and I can't visualizer reports, because the Reporting Services found only the old server name. Anybody can help me to resolve this problem? Thanks a Lot! Breno Amorim you changed the name of the crm web server? ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/microsoft_crm_community.mspx "Breno Amorim" <BrenoAmorim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C698B9F7-FF7B-43BC-8368-59C31A5FB994@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I changed the name ...

Access 07 Crashing still after SP1
Hello, I asked this earlier this year to no avail. We have three different programs (were 03 and worked fine) that we still can not right click in all datasheets that are in a subform, if you right click on a field in a column that doesn't have focus or control, Access shutsdown/ crashes. If you left click first on any field, then right click on that data field, no problem. We have done this on ten different PCs running XP SP3 and Vista. Has anyone else encountered this? Things we have tried: 1. Convert to 07. 2. Run as 03 in 07. 3. Built new 07 and imported all forms, tables, macro...

Proper simple Access VBA SQL syntax
I'm attempting to pass the input of a textbox from an Access form as a parameter for a SQL procedure, however, I'm missing something very elementary and I can't find it either through MSDN or Google and would please like some assistance. I originally thought it was a quotes issue but that doesn't seem to be the case since I can hardcode any given number in between the quotes (i.e. "'1017QT'") and the code works fine. ================================= Private Sub btn_spSQL_MailMerge_Click() On Error GoTo Err_btn_spSQL_MailMerge_Click Dim ...

Analytical Acctg should allow reporting on the item description
Analytical Accounting allow you to report on the item number but only shows the item description as a "pop up" message not a reportable field. We invested many hours entering the description into the set up card - we want that description in the reports that we create. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsread...

Access 1 OWA from multiple Admin Groups in Exchange 2003
We have 2 Exchange 2003 Admin groups in 1 Exchange Organization. OWA is configured in 1 Admin Group. We would like to allow users from the second Admin Group to be able to access their mailboxes using the OWA that is already setup. How do I configure that? ...

Report of blocked email addresses
I'm trying to find a way to get the list of blocked or filtered email addresses set up in Exchange. SBS 2000 puts a limit of 845 on this filter list and I'd like to get a report of what we currently have blocked to better arrange it. ...

Vendor change audit report
Does Dynamics GP 10 have a report that simply shows a listing of new or updated vendors and what changed if they are an existing vendor for a given time period? Jesse, You would have to be running GPs 'Audit Trails', which is an optional module, to get that level of detail. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com ...

How to copy Access database without read-only restriction
I need to copy an Access database to a CD and from there to another computer. When I create the CD, it always comes out as read-only, so I cannot create queries or make table changes on the other computer. What is the setting for copying it without this restriction? Thanks! "Bruce Rollier" <Bruce Rollier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:288B0D3C-52C8-4400-897D-742822F1FF0D@microsoft.com... >I need to copy an Access database to a CD and from there to another >computer. > When I create the CD, it always comes out as read-only, so I cannot create...