Access Db remote access

Hello All-
Sorry for my stupid questions :-)

I am considering a project that would be my first Access Db.

My questions:

1- I believe it is possible to control which users can access certain
fields, correct? Example: The Db would include the price we pay for products,
the price we sell them for, and the profit margin.  Only certain individuals
should have access to the cost and the profit margins..

2- The Db would need to be accessed remotely by some individuals, but we
don't want to have the Db on the internet..  What are some options?
Example:  Product updates on the web are handled outside the company.  We
would like the web guys to be able to query the Db for updates they should
apply to the web.  We would also like them to mark the record when the upates
have been completed.  We do not have VPN capability.  We currently hold all
data in a excel sheet that is "passed around" on email..

Any guidance would be much appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

David H.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Oct 3, 1:19 pm, davensocal <davenso...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> 1- I believe it is possible to control which users can access certain
> fields, correct? Example: The Db would include the price we pay for products,
> the price we sell them for, and the profit margin.  Only certain individuals
> should have access to the cost and the profit margins..

There are several flavours of security.

1. You need to identify the user either by forcing the user to log in
before the screen shows data (workgroup security), or you deploy
specific front end mdbs with particular forms to certain users
(cooperative security).

2. In the login mechanism, you can invent your own or you can use
Workgroup Security mechanism.

Workgroup Security:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/165009

> 2- The Db would need to be accessed remotely by some individuals, but we
> don't want to have the Db on the internet..  What are some options?
> Example:  Product updates on the web are handled outside the company.  We
> would like the web guys to be able to query the Db for updates they should
> apply to the web.  We would also like them to mark the record when the upates
> have been completed.  We do not have VPN capability.  We currently hold all
> data in a excel sheet that is "passed around" on email..

You don't want to put the db on the internet?
Internet means connection via TCP/IP via the internetwork of machines.
Hence, if you say you don't want to connect via "the internet" you are
saying that you will need the user to directly dial your premises.

If you dial your premises you need a bank of modems at your premises.
And the phone bandwidth will not be sufficient to run Access. You will
need to have a machine running Citrix or Microsoft Terminal Services
over your modem infrastructure.

HTH
Ananda

0
AnandaSim
10/3/2007 8:20:35 AM
DSL will provide enough bandwith
I'm currently hooked up to Russia via a 700K link (including satelite)
for a single remote user, the remote desktop functionality of WinXP is
sufficient
A Terminal Server for up to 5 users isn't that pricy either & could as a
bonus enable you to work from home ;-)

These solutions should include a VPN solution (Firewalls with VPN aren't to
expensive either)

Another solution would be to create a replicated Database.

Or make the database available to the Web Server (will be some secuity
issues)
& make some web pages to update the Db

HtH

Pieter

"AnandaSim" <AnandaSim@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Oct 3, 1:19 pm, davensocal <davenso...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> 1- I believe it is possible to control which users can access certain
>> fields, correct? Example: The Db would include the price we pay for
>> products,
>> the price we sell them for, and the profit margin.  Only certain
>> individuals
>> should have access to the cost and the profit margins..
>
> There are several flavours of security.
>
> 1. You need to identify the user either by forcing the user to log in
> before the screen shows data (workgroup security), or you deploy
> specific front end mdbs with particular forms to certain users
> (cooperative security).
>
> 2. In the login mechanism, you can invent your own or you can use
> Workgroup Security mechanism.
>
> Workgroup Security:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/165009
>

>> 2- The Db would need to be accessed remotely by some individuals, but we
>> don't want to have the Db on the internet..  What are some options?
>> Example:  Product updates on the web are handled outside the company.  We
>> would like the web guys to be able to query the Db for updates they
>> should
>> apply to the web.  We would also like them to mark the record when the
>> upates
>> have been completed.  We do not have VPN capability.  We currently hold
>> all
>> data in a excel sheet that is "passed around" on email..
>
> You don't want to put the db on the internet?
> Internet means connection via TCP/IP via the internetwork of machines.
> Hence, if you say you don't want to connect via "the internet" you are
> saying that you will need the user to directly dial your premises.
>
> If you dial your premises you need a bank of modems at your premises.
> And the phone bandwidth will not be sufficient to run Access. You will
> need to have a machine running Citrix or Microsoft Terminal Services
> over your modem infrastructure.
>
> HTH
> Ananda

0
Pieter

Access Crashes
I have a database with reports referencing queries that pull out of my business software. Everything worked fine until this week. I can't open any reports, can't even click on report wizard to start a new report and the system crashes with the usual "..has encountered a problem and needs to shut down error". Basically I can't do anything anymore. Other people with older versions of access (I have 2007) can open the reports from their computer, and print them, no problems. I have reinstalled Office, no luck. Rebooted, no luck. I installed an older version of Access...

OUTLOOK WEB ACCESS #24
We have a user that when typing the http://web outlook access address , it opens her default outlook folders . She never gets a login and password screen . Any input is much appericiated. Thank You Exchange 2003? if so, that's the way it's supposed to work...if she's logged onto the PC with the account that access to her mailbox, this is by design... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "esfandiarfard" <esfandiarfard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A405538-5755-4A4D-901E-A6DCC3405121@microsoft.com... > We have a user that when typing the http://web out...

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

How to stop access confirmation in Outlook
When I try to sync my PDA/Phone with Outlook (2000) it ask for me to allow access for 'x' number of munites. How do I stop this request? Thanks Clive Try updating your PDA sync software. (If the PDA uses Activesync, upgrade to 3.7x) And if you are curious to know how/why you are getting the prompt, see the following links. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/admin.htm -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Clive" <someone@NOTHANKS.com> wrote i...

Access-Forms-VB links
After years in software development/database programming mostly on Unix/Oracle I'm tasked to change some Access forms to use redesigned tables. I'm having trouble with the relationship between forms and VB. For example I'm looking at some VB code that frequently references the Me class which I assume to be the default reference to the current (form) class (like this in C++), but I can't see how/where the class is actually defined. Can someone please provide some links that provide concise explanations of the relationship between Access and VB. My googling has only turned up pag...

Security Access to a database
my partner and I are the administrators of our database when it was 2003. We brought the database into 2007 and everything seemed alright till we created a backend database and used the frontend to input data as we did with no problems in 2003. Now it won't let us access the database, back or front end. Is there a way to wipe out the security settings and start clean? Bernie, Access 2007 requires that the files be in a Trusted Location. Have a look at... http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TrustedLocation.htm Oh, and you can't *wipe that out*. -- G...

Address Labels in Access 2007?
I had no trouble creating labels in the previous version of Access, but I have problems with Access 2007. It makes me "jump through hoops" t open the old labels, from Access 97, what few there are that are left. I don't know how to create the database for the labels in ACcesss 2007. Help, please. Thanks on the Create ribbon in the Reports group there is an icon for Labels Warm Regards, Crystal remote programming and training http://MSAccessGurus.com free video tutorials http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal Access Basics http://www.AccessMV...

Link Access table to Excel worksheet
I want to link these so that they can be edited in either programme. Whichever way, the link box is greyed out. You can make a linked table in Access. It's File - Get External Data - Link. The data lives in the Excel workbook, I think (I don't think Access keeps a copy of it). But you can change data in either Excel or Access. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "dalesrunner" <dalesrunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A165D6C6-D173-45F7-94D5-352E3AA5121E@microsoft.com... ...

NEEDED: MS ACCESS 2003 Consultant
Our company has been using Lotus Approach database software since the early 90's until last year when we migrated to MS Access 2003. Problem: Our database is NOT normalized, therefore creating redundant and inconsistent information, as well as disorganized data. When the databases were ported to Access last year, we did the best we could to make the redundancy and inconsistency of data as little as possible. Unfortunately we could only accomplish this task to a certain extent, and as a result we are now experiencing scalibilty and normalization issues. Solution: We are looking to hire...

Accessing Spreadsheet Documents (Works Suite 2003)
I recently converted over from a Mac to Windows. I had several spreadsheet documents that I converted using Maclink. They converted over okay. But, when I try to use them, and then wanted to save them, I have to save in Works 7.0. Then when I try to open them up I get the following type message: BUW1, contains a formula reference outside the area that Works can access. There are other similiar references like: LDI1, KMS1, AND MX1. I do not know how to remove these problems so that I may utilize the documents. Please help. Thanks. JB I'd suggest asking this in a Works gr...

Sinking MS Access form events from MFC console app
Hi All, I'm trying to sink MS Access form events using technique described in <<HOW TO: Handle Events for Excel by Using Visual C++ .NET (http://www.kbalertz.com/Q309301/Handle.Events.Excel.Using.Visual.aspx)>> Of course I did do all the needed code substitutions etc. All works rather well, I mean I'm getting to MS Access form IConnectionPointContainer etc. But the last code line - hr = m_pConnectionPoint->Advise(m_pAppEventListener,&m_dwConnectionCookie); doesn't work and returns hr = -2147220990. Here is MS Access form events interface ID I use: const II...

Using Access Excel Automation, can I delete or rename a worksheet
Hi I am using automation to produce an excel workbook from an access database. Everything is working fine, except that my workbooks always have 3 additional worksheets - sheet 1, sheet 2 and sheet 3. Can I delete these, or rename them? Stapes On 13 Sep, 11:04, Stapes <steve.sta...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi > > I am using automation to produce an excel workbook from an access > database. Everything is working fine, except that my workbooks always > have 3 additional worksheets - sheet 1, sheet 2 and sheet 3. Can I > delete these, or rename them? > > Stapes Found ...

MS Access 2002 SQL to Oracle 9 PL/SQL
Are there any products that can convert MS Access 2002 SQL to Oracle 9 PL/SQL? I do NOT want to convert the database, only the SQL statements. Thank you. Posted on: microsoft.public.access.conversion microsoft.public.access.odbcclientsvr microsoft.public.access.queries Did you ever find an SQL converter? I'm facing a similiar issue. Thanks, Todd "MartinX" wrote: > Are there any products that can convert MS Access 2002 SQL to Oracle 9 > PL/SQL? I do NOT want to convert the database, only the SQL statements. > > Thank you. > > Posted on: > microsoft...

Outlook 2000 after XP upgrade: "unable to access folders"
I just upgraded from ME to XP. All if a sudden my shortcut buttons for inbox, outbox, deleted items, and everything else results in a message: "Unable to display the folder: unable to display the folder: folder no longer exists." I am, however, able to access these folders using the toolsbars view>go to. So these folders must exist, but apparently do not appear in the place that Windows XP expects them. Can anybody offer any suggestions or advice? Thanks, Sandor J. Woren window Try starting outlok from the Run command ...

DB Utility?
I am being asked to run a report on our Exchange 5.5 database that would look into each mailbox under calendar and contacts for key words. Do you know how I could go about doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. There is no off the self software that I am aware of. "RG" <rgoergen@cranel.com> wrote in message news:726b7d4d.0405271153.7b62293c@posting.google.com... > I am being asked to run a report on our Exchange 5.5 database that > would look into each mailbox under calendar and contacts for key > words. Do you know how I could go about doing this? A...

Working window in Access "sticks" to Maximum size
Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to 'unstick' a working form/report/table, etc in Access. Even if I design an entry form at say, 3" by 5" wide, it'll automatically maximize to fill up the entire working screen next to the navigation bar. To my knowledge, I have never set any property to maximize every window. . . Did I miss a global setting, or is it an option I can turn off? Thanks, Tripler "Tripler of the SDMB" <Tripler of the SDMB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96E65DF9-A187-4710-A6AC-2350A66F38D1@microso...

ActiveX control is not shown correctly in Access Reports print pre
Hi All, we are developing ActiveX control's to use in MS Access. The control works fine with Access form in design mode and running mode. But in case of reports the design mode shows the control correctly but when comes to print preview mode, the size and drawing on the control is not working properly. The same control works fine with Access 2002. The problem is found to be with Access 2000. We need to enable XP theme from UxTheme.dll(Microsoft provide) if theme is avaible in the system. The drawing of theme is alo goes wrong in Access 2000 reports print preview mode. please help ...

Getting machine name when connecting to db
We have an application in Access 2000, front end/back end design,10-12 users. I want to save the dates and times they enter and exitfrom the app from their workstations in a table in the back end.How do I get the name of their workstation to save to that table? Theworkstations have names like "sales1", "sales2", "Reception", etc.Paul Fenton Add error handling as required. Place in a module and call functionwhen needed.'example by Donavon Kuhn (Donavon.Kuhn@Nextel.com)Private Const MAX_COMPUTERNAME_LENGTH As Long = 31Private Declare Function GetComputerName L...

How can I put photos in Microsoft Access Form
I used the information BobLarson said in putting photos in Microsoft Access Form but it's not working. My computer keeps asking for Form1, which I deleted because nothing was happening the way I wanted it to. What I would like to know is there a online video that can show how you can do this procedure. And how can I get my computer stop asking for Form1. "Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E015B36-D605-428D-9275-C95DAC1DC3AE@microsoft.com... >I used the information BobLarson said in putting photos in Microsoft Access > For...

Questions about rebuilding a db 03-28-10
Lateley I've notices my database freezing from time to time, so I tried the following... a) created a new data base b) imported all tables, queries, forms, ...... ,modules c) reset the References d) reset the Startup options e) compile Everything is working great now, but I have a few questions about this process. Did I miss any crucial steps? (don't want any surprises later) Is there a prefered order to do these steps? Finally, the database is now about 30% smaller, even though I was regularly compiling, compacting/repairing the former one. I'd like to know w...

Re-install a database/company after deleting the DB in SQL EM.
Can anyone list all the tables that need to be cleaned out if a company database is deleted in Enterprise Manager before the company is deleted in GP? I have mistakenly done this and would like to clear everything out and set up that same database name again. No backup yet as it was a brand-new migration database ( a poor excuse I admit) that had the migration run on it. Thought we had it by clearing out the related company entries in the SY01500, DU0000xx, SY40500, SY40502? and a few more tables, but the new company setup still bombs on the very last step of the SQL setup (loading d...

Can 2 DB's share a common record ID?
I have 2 manufacturing databases that are duplicates of each other. Each has a table of records for mfg runs with an autonumber RunID. I would like to ensure that the same RunID is assigned only once between the 2 databases. For instance if database A has issued RunID #34065 then database B would not be able to issue that same number. The second line has only recently come into existence and there is substantial legacy programming for the earlier line. What strategy can I use? Many thanks in advance and Merry Christmas. -- Ted On Dec 21, 10:47 am, Ted Stilwell <TedStilw...@dis...

CRM 1.2: Access denied on viewig Accounts and Contacts
I recently had to rebuild my CRM 1.2 database. Since then, users get an 'Access denied' message when viewing the details of accounts and contacts. It seems that teh security descriptors are invalid. My questions are: 1. I intend upgrading to CRM3.0 anyway - is this going to rebuild security that will bypass this error or am I just importing incorrect parameters as it is? 2. Changing roles and using 'Repar Object Security' with the admin tool did not fix the issue. Is there another way that I can rebuild the security descriptors If anybody cna put me on the right track, I...

how to restore v7.5 GP DB into a 9.0 company
Hello, We use a backup company in our system for testing purposes. From time to time we restore a recent backup of our live company into it. Sometimes though, we restore an old backup into it in order to view the status of the company prior to some change or another. We are just now upgrading to 9.0 from 7.5. The upgrade is going onto a new server and most issues have been resolved. One issue I have not figured out is as follows. Let's say that a month into running 9.0 we realize something is funky in our GL. We decide to take a look at things as they were from a couple months before the...

Can an Access PivotChart display standard deviation error bars?
I'm using Office 2003 in a medical device field to manage a quality assurance database. The engineers who will be using the database need to know the statistical significance of all data, and it is standard to show all charts with standard deviation, percentile, or max/min plots. I'd like to be able to make a PivotChart view that gives this information, but have not been able to find a way of displaying custom error bars calculated for each data point (as is possible for static charts in Excel, by selecting a data range for the "Custom" error bar data fields). This p...