Access and Groove

I am looking for tips on using Groove to share Access 2007 databases.  I have
been successful adding a file to a workspace but I have not found a reference
to Access in the Groove literature yet.

How well does Access play with Groove?  (I know that I have to turn off
blocking.)

Is the best way to determine which records were changed to use an audit trail?

What is the maximum Access file size that should be shared?

Are there any security conflicts with Groove's encryption?

Are there an synchronization issues?

Comments about personal experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks.

LDN
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

I don't believe that Access MDB supports
    groove
    wireless connections
    VPN

Thanks

-Aaron

On Mar 22, 10:43=A0am, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I am looking for tips on using Groove to share Access 2007 databases. =A0I=
 have
> been successful adding a file to a workspace but I have not found a refere=
nce
> to Access in the Groove literature yet.
>
> How well does Access play with Groove? =A0(I know that I have to turn off
> blocking.) =A0
>
> Is the best way to determine which records were changed to use an audit tr=
ail?

> What is the maximum Access file size that should be shared?
>
> Are there any security conflicts with Groove's encryption?
>
> Are there an synchronization issues?
>
> Comments about personal experiences will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> LDN

0
aaron
3/22/2008 7:47:21 PM
Sorry for the confusion, my question is the other way around, how well does
Groove support Access?  I want to invite others to contribute content to an
Access database.  In other words I am trying to use Groove as a server.

LDN

"aaron.kempf@gmail.com" wrote:

> I don't believe that Access MDB supports
>     groove
>     wireless connections
>     VPN
>
> Thanks
>
> -Aaron
>

> On Mar 22, 10:43 am, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > I am looking for tips on using Groove to share Access 2007 databases.  I have
> > been successful adding a file to a workspace but I have not found a reference
> > to Access in the Groove literature yet.
> >
> > How well does Access play with Groove?  (I know that I have to turn off
> > blocking.)
> >
> > Is the best way to determine which records were changed to use an audit trail?
> >
> > What is the maximum Access file size that should be shared?
> >
> > Are there any security conflicts with Groove's encryption?
> >
> > Are there an synchronization issues?
> >
> > Comments about personal experiences will be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > LDN

I think that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.

If you want a server; move to SQL Server.

It works great over a VPN.

Thanks

-Aaron

On Mar 22, 2:02=A0pm, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion, my question is the other way around, how well doe=
> Groove support Access? =A0I want to invite others to contribute content to=
 an
> Access database. =A0In other words I am trying to use Groove as a server.
>
> LDN
>

> "aaron.ke...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > I don't believe that Access MDB supports
> > =A0 =A0 groove
> > =A0 =A0 wireless connections
> > =A0 =A0 VPN
>
> > Thanks
>
> > -Aaron
>
> > On Mar 22, 10:43 am, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I am looking for tips on using Groove to share Access 2007 databases. =
=A0I have
> > > been successful adding a file to a workspace but I have not found a re=
ference
> > > to Access in the Groove literature yet.
>
> > > How well does Access play with Groove? =A0(I know that I have to turn =
off
> > > blocking.) =A0
>
> > > Is the best way to determine which records were changed to use an audi=
t trail?

> > > What is the maximum Access file size that should be shared?
>
> > > Are there any security conflicts with Groove's encryption?
>
> > > Are there an synchronization issues?
>
> > > Comments about personal experiences will be appreciated.
>
> > > Thanks.
>
> > > LDN- Hide quoted text -

aaron
3/22/2008 9:11:21 PM
Thanks.

I'll keep looking for answers.

LDN

"aaron.kempf@gmail.com" wrote:

> I think that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.
>
> If you want a server; move to SQL Server.
>
> It works great over a VPN.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Aaron
>
> On Mar 22, 2:02 pm, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > Sorry for the confusion, my question is the other way around, how well does
> > Groove support Access?  I want to invite others to contribute content to an
> > Access database.  In other words I am trying to use Groove as a server.
> >
> > LDN
> >

> > "aaron.ke...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > > I don't believe that Access MDB supports
> > >     groove
> > >     wireless connections
> > >     VPN
> >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > > -Aaron

So Aaron,

What would you say about using Access with SharePoint?

LDN

"aaron.kempf@gmail.com" wrote:

> I think that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.
>
> If you want a server; move to SQL Server.
>
> It works great over a VPN.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Aaron
>
> On Mar 22, 2:02 pm, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > Sorry for the confusion, my question is the other way around, how well does
> > Groove support Access?  I want to invite others to contribute content to an
> > Access database.  In other words I am trying to use Groove as a server.
> >
> > LDN
> >

> > "aaron.ke...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > > I don't believe that Access MDB supports
> > >     groove
> > >     wireless connections
> > >     VPN
> >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > > -Aaron

I'd say it's a waste of time.
Move to ADP.

ADP can work across Groove and VPN and Wireless.. and the Public
Internet.

Can SharePoint?

-Aaron

On Mar 22, 3:25=A0pm, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> So Aaron,
>
> What would you say about using Access with SharePoint?
>
> LDN
>

> "aaron.ke...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > I think that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.
>
> > If you want a server; move to SQL Server.
>
> > It works great over a VPN.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > -Aaron
>
> > On Mar 22, 2:02 pm, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Sorry for the confusion, my question is the other way around, how well=
 does
> > > Groove support Access? =A0I want to invite others to contribute conten=
t to an
> > > Access database. =A0In other words I am trying to use Groove as a serv=
er.

> > > LDN

aaron
3/22/2008 10:57:24 PM
Access with SharePoint is what the Access kids -- you know the ones
that don't have the mental capacity for SQL Server -- are stuck with.

Personally; I don't know why you're scared of SQL Server.

Honestly; It's just as easy to use as MS Access MDB.. I mean; drag and
drop LoL-- You've got all the same designers.
Check it out, it's called ADP.

File, New, Files of Type =3D 'Access Data Project'.
Give it a path; and a connection and you're in business.

Forward the SQL Server Port - what is it 1433 to someone and they can
interact with SQL Server from their home. Without a VPN.

I thnk that it's a complete no-brainer for everyone and anyone.

wrote:
> So Aaron,
>
> What would you say about using Access with SharePoint?
>
> LDN
>

> "aaron.ke...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > I think that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.
>
> > If you want a server; move to SQL Server.
>
> > It works great over a VPN.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > -Aaron
>
> > On Mar 22, 2:02 pm, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Sorry for the confusion, my question is the other way around, how well=
 does
> > > Groove support Access? =A0I want to invite others to contribute conten=
t to an
> > > Access database. =A0In other words I am trying to use Groove as a serv=
er.

> > > LDN

aaron
3/22/2008 11:00:16 PM
roccogrand <roccogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>What would you say about using Access with SharePoint?

Access 2007 and Sharepoint do work together.  How well I'm not quite
sure.  I'd suggest starting another thread with Access and Sharepoint
in the subject.

Also what is your objective?  What kind of data and how many users and
how distributed are those users who you want to access the data.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

I'm not really all that scared of SQL Server, in fact I am looking forward
to using the Dundas controls as soon as I get around to installing SQL Server
2008 on my laptop.  And I am really interested in using the Geometry and
Geography data types.  All the DBA stuff does concern, it seems like you need
a full time DBA just keep SQL Server tuned.  And the movement towards 64 bit
processing in the enterprise database world sends my blood into a clot cycle.

My reasons for asking about Access and Groove is that I work with and for
people geographically distributed around the country, and I want to not only
share Word and Excel files with them, I also want to share Access databases.

The capabilities of Groove are intriguing.  I can get through my colleagues'
firewalls and I can see when they are on line.  And Groove automatically
synchronizes files between the team members.  If Groove will synchronize
ACCDB  files then I will have a distributed database, my term for a data
server.

My original question had to do with the limitations, if any, of including
Access files in Groove workspaces.  I would like to know if I should keep the
Access databases to less than 1 GB or do I need to 'split' them (not frontend
and backend but multiple versions of essentially the same database).

What happens when the same record is edited by two users?   Are there any
problems if some users have Access runtime?  What is the best way to maintain
an audit trail at the record level?  How well does other programs work with
Groove-hosted databases? In particular, if I use Access to serve data to
MapPoint, what are the gotchas?

LDN

"aaron.kempf@gmail.com" wrote:

> Access with SharePoint is what the Access kids -- you know the ones
> that don't have the mental capacity for SQL Server -- are stuck with.
>
> Personally; I don't know why you're scared of SQL Server.
>
> Honestly; It's just as easy to use as MS Access MDB.. I mean; drag and
> drop LoL-- You've got all the same designers.
> Check it out, it's called ADP.
>
> File, New, Files of Type = 'Access Data Project'.
> Give it a path; and a connection and you're in business.
>
> Forward the SQL Server Port - what is it 1433 to someone and they can
> interact with SQL Server from their home. Without a VPN.
>
> I thnk that it's a complete no-brainer for everyone and anyone.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Aaron
>
> On Mar 22, 3:25 pm, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > So Aaron,
> >
> > What would you say about using Access with SharePoint?
> >
> > LDN
> >

> > "aaron.ke...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > > I think that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.
> >
> > > If you want a server; move to SQL Server.
> >
> > > It works great over a VPN.
> >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > > -Aaron

Thanks Tony,

I have ben trying to get through Peter Serzo's article in the April Technet
Mag about Access-MOSS integration for the past day. It contains a lot about
the how but not much about the how well.

For someone who has not implemented a MOSS solution, this 'scares' me.  It
is also foreign because I don't have a MOSS environment to play with.

I'll wait until I figure out Groove before venturing further into the abyss
of MOSS.

LDN

"Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:

> roccogrand <roccogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >What would you say about using Access with SharePoint?
>
> Access 2007 and Sharepoint do work together.  How well I'm not quite
> sure.  I'd suggest starting another thread with Access and Sharepoint
> in the subject.
>
> Also what is your objective?  What kind of data and how many users and
> how distributed are those users who you want to access the data.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

I'm implemented many a sharePoint solution.

I just don't think that it is scalable enough for what it is meant to
do.

I mean.. Honestly; It couldnt' import 15,000 records in 90 minutes no
matter how hard I tried.
Why is SharePoint _SUCH_ a central piece of Access when it was _SUCH_
a failure in 2003?

-Aaron

On Mar 22, 5:46=A0pm, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Thanks Tony,
>
> I have ben trying to get through Peter Serzo's article in the April Techne=
> Mag about Access-MOSS integration for the past day. It contains a lot abou=
> the how but not much about the how well. =A0
>
> For someone who has not implemented a MOSS solution, this 'scares' me. =A0=
It
> is also foreign because I don't have a MOSS environment to play with.
>
> I'll wait until I figure out Groove before venturing further into the abys=
> of MOSS.
>
> LDN
>

> "Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:
> > roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > >What would you say about using Access with SharePoint?
>
> > Access 2007 and Sharepoint do work together. =A0How well I'm not quite
> > sure. =A0I'd suggest starting another thread with Access and Sharepoint
> > in the subject. =A0
>
> > Also what is your objective? =A0What kind of data and how many users and=

> > how distributed are those users who you want to access the data.
>
> > Tony
> > --
> > Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> > =A0 =A0Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> > read the entire thread of messages.
> > =A0 =A0Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> >http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> > =A0 =A0Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/- Hi=
de quoted text -

aaron
3/23/2008 12:49:42 AM
SharePoint is great-- I don't mean to be too negative about it.

I just stuck it in the same category as Access MDB - not scalable
enough for real world usage.

wrote:
> Thanks Tony,
>
> I have ben trying to get through Peter Serzo's article in the April Techne=
> Mag about Access-MOSS integration for the past day. It contains a lot abou=
> the how but not much about the how well. =A0
>
> For someone who has not implemented a MOSS solution, this 'scares' me. =A0=
It
> is also foreign because I don't have a MOSS environment to play with.
>
> I'll wait until I figure out Groove before venturing further into the abys=
> of MOSS.
>
> LDN
>

> "Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:
> > roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > >What would you say about using Access with SharePoint?
>
> > Access 2007 and Sharepoint do work together. =A0How well I'm not quite
> > sure. =A0I'd suggest starting another thread with Access and Sharepoint
> > in the subject. =A0
>
> > Also what is your objective? =A0What kind of data and how many users and=

> > how distributed are those users who you want to access the data.
>
> > Tony
> > --
> > Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> > =A0 =A0Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> > read the entire thread of messages.
> > =A0 =A0Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> >http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> > =A0 =A0Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/- Hi=
de quoted text -

aaron
3/23/2008 12:50:26 AM
and you sure DO NOT need a fulltime DBA to keep it tuned.

Feel free to MSN IM me any time that you need help, ok?
aaron_kempf@hotmail.com

I've been using SQL with Access for the past decade; and I've got my
SQL 2005 DBA certification.  I really have been having an affair with
Reporting Services these past couple of years though.. LoL

I'm too busy for real work - but I'd gladly put you on the right
track... help you put your sail in the right direction.

What OS are you on?
It just basically comes down to (MSDE + Windows XP) or (SQL 2005 and
Access 2007 and SQL 2005).

You really don't need a file menu; but hit the office button and then
NEW and then files of type =3D 'Access Data Projects'.

If you know you're way around Access 2007 it will be quite easy to
build tables, views, sprocs in SQL Server.. and never worry about that
piece of crap database ever again.

Thanks

I love Access.. I'd just rather eat poop than use MDB.

-Aaron
aaron_kempf@hotmaill.com

On Mar 22, 5:29=A0pm, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> [...]

> > that don't have the mental capacity for SQL Server -- are stuck with.
>
> > Personally; I don't know why you're scared of SQL Server.
>
> > Honestly; It's just as easy to use as MS Access MDB.. I mean; drag and
> > drop LoL-- You've got all the same designers.
> > Check it out, it's called ADP.
>
> > File, New, Files of Type =3D 'Access Data Project'.
> > Give it a path; and a connection and you're in business.
>
> > Forward the SQL Server Port - what is it 1433 to someone and they can
> > interact with SQL Server from their home. Without a VPN.
>
> > I thnk that it's a complete no-brainer for everyone and anyone.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > -Aaron
>
> > On Mar 22, 3:25 pm, roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> > > So Aaron,
>
> > > What would you say about using Access with SharePoint?

aaron
3/23/2008 12:54:37 AM
Tony;

This is my thread; please do not follow me around.

I've had enough of your criminal activity already.

I will not let you discredit me ever again.

Stay the heck away from my threads, Tony.
I insist, because I do not feel safe in my own house with Tony Toews
stalking me every 5 minutes.

I just wake up; you constantly post 5 minutes after I leave for work..
so I think that you must be watching me or something.

I just won't put up with your stalkign Tony; it is not appropriate.
I'm sorry that your little crack-baby database doesnt' work with
Groove.

Stick a cork in it Tony.

Thanks

-Aaron

On Mar 22, 4:15=A0pm, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >What would you say about using Access with SharePoint?
>
> Access 2007 and Sharepoint do work together. =A0How well I'm not quite
> sure. =A0I'd suggest starting another thread with Access and Sharepoint
> in the subject. =A0
>
> Also what is your objective? =A0What kind of data and how many users and
> how distributed are those users who you want to access the data.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> =A0 =A0Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
> =A0 =A0Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems athttp://w=
ww.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> =A0 =A0Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
aaron
3/23/2008 12:56:33 AM
roccogrand <roccogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'll wait until I figure out Groove before venturing further into the abyss
>of MOSS.

I've never heard of any integration between Access and Groove.   There
very well may be some but I've heard a lot about Access and
Sharepoint.  So don't spend too much time chasing what may turn out to
be fog.  <smile>

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
3/23/2008 1:09:28 AM
roccogrand <roccogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am lost.  There isn't a button on the Access ribbon that says File.

Click on the Office button on the upper left hand corner.

>The capabilities of Groove are intriguing.  I can get through my colleagues'
>firewalls and I can see when they are on line.  And Groove automatically
>synchronizes files between the team members.  If Groove will synchronize
>ACCDB  files then I will have a distributed database, my term for a data
>server.

That I strongly doubt.

Now Access does have built in replication which may do what you want.
However SQL Server or Terminal Server may be a better solution for a
distributed environment.

>What happens when the same record is edited by two users?

Exactly.

>Are there any
>problems if some users have Access runtime?  What is the best way to maintain
>an audit trail at the record level?

There's a simple example at
ACC2000: How to Create an Audit Trail of Record Changes in a Form
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q197592

Audit Trail - Log changes at the record level at:
http://allenbrowne.com/AppAudit.html
The article addresses edits, inserts, and deletes for a form and
subform.

Modules: Maintain a history of changes
http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0021.htm
The History Table routine is designed to write history records that
track the changes made to fields in one or more tables.

>In particular, if I use Access to serve data to MapPoint, what are the gotchas?

For that visit the MapPoint newsgroup(s).

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
3/23/2008 1:13:46 AM
Access and SharePoint don't work well with a 'reasonable' amount of
records.

Case closed.

Move to SQL, kid.

Any Tony? STAY AWAY FROM MY POSTS; I REFUSE TO LET YOU STALK ME LIKE
THIS.

This is already a criminal affair-- I refuse to let your stalking my
posts continue.

-Aaron

On Mar 22, 6:09=A0pm, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >I'll wait until I figure out Groove before venturing further into the aby=
ss
> >of MOSS.
>
> I've never heard of any integration between Access and Groove. =A0 There
> very well may be some but I've heard a lot about Access and
> Sharepoint. =A0So don't spend too much time chasing what may turn out to
> be fog. =A0<smile>
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> =A0 =A0Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
> =A0 =A0Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems athttp://w=
ww.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> =A0 =A0Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
aaron
3/23/2008 1:18:55 AM
OK guys.  All that I care about today is including Access files in a Groove
workspace.

Thanks.

LDN

"aaron.kempf@gmail.com" wrote:

> Tony;
>
> This is my thread; please do not follow me around.
>
> I've had enough of your criminal activity already.
>
> I will not let you discredit me ever again.
>
> Stay the heck away from my threads, Tony.
> I insist, because I do not feel safe in my own house with Tony Toews
> stalking me every 5 minutes.
>
> I just wake up; you constantly post 5 minutes after I leave for work..
> so I think that you must be watching me or something.
>
> I just won't put up with your stalkign Tony; it is not appropriate.
> I'm sorry that your little crack-baby database doesnt' work with
> Groove.
>
> Stick a cork in it Tony.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Aaron
>
> On Mar 22, 4:15 pm, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> > roccogrand <roccogr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > >What would you say about using Access with SharePoint?
> >
> > Access 2007 and Sharepoint do work together.  How well I'm not quite
> > sure.  I'd suggest starting another thread with Access and Sharepoint
> > in the subject.
> >
> > Also what is your objective?  What kind of data and how many users and
> > how distributed are those users who you want to access the data.
> >
> > Tony
> > --
> > Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> >    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> > read the entire thread of messages.
> >    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems athttp://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> >    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

Inquiry Access Only (Read Only)
How can I set up a user class with read only access? Do I need to take away ALL access, then add each window and report one at a time? Thanks, Alan Alan, That is the way I originally set up such a class and then just tweaked it as necessary. Cheers Ross. "Alan Waggoner" wrote: > How can I set up a user class with read only access? Do I need to take away > ALL access, then add each window and report one at a time? > > Thanks, > Alan ...

outlook web access #38
When I click on the address book icon in Outlook for Web 2003 it i empty. However if I type in a name on the search function th information on the individual appears from the global address book. Ho can I get the global address book to show all entries when it is evoke from outlook for web as it does for outlook 2003 locally. Also I ca only see the last 25 emails when I check email from outlook for web. I there any way to display all emails in the in-box. I appreciate an help I canget ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and po...

How do I unlock FILE access?
This morning, at work, I was using Excel to track data on trucks at work. During break, I opened another Excel document to view. Shortly after the second Excel document was opened, another truck came in. When I tried to go back to the spreadsheet file to record the info for the truck that came in, Excel went idle for 30 seconds, then came back with a READ ERROR saying it had tried reading a memory address that was un-readable. When I clicked OK on the read error message box, Excel SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY... When I RE-started Excel, and tried loading the truck info file that was suppos...

Access Report 'Graphs'
I am running a function/report that completes the following: 1. Modifies a temp table based on user selection (two variables - Easy) 2. Modifies the temp table with summary line at end of table (summarizing table data - Totals for Graphs) 3. Render a report based on that table 4. Render 6 graphs to show on the report All should be good at this point. Table is modified/updated with correct detail information and summary line. Report opens and queries the table correctly (always). Issue: Each Graph has a select statement based on each requirment (two items only) and the report runs 95...

Synchronization problem with Outlook Web Access
A few weeks ago we had some problem with our servers, and we reinstalled everything, but we restored the exchange database. Now I have a problem with some old calendar items. They generating reminders in Outlook Web Access, and they are visible there, however I cannot delete them. Using Office Outlook these items are not visible, as if they are non-existing. How can I solve this issue? ...

Need Microsoft Access to run on my Mac Powerbook
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) I've been told I need to buy Virtual PC for my Mac and then Microsoft Office 2008 (for the PC, which includes ACCESS) in order to use MS Access for a college course I'm taking. I do believe that once I get Virtual PC, I could get MS Access as a temporary free download for 60 days. My questions: 1. is the above info correct? 2. where do I get Virtual PC for my Mac? cost? 3. Is Virtual PC easy to use or will I need to buy a book to explain it to me? 4. How about ease-of-use of Microsoft Access? Thank you to whomever can give me some ...

Import or link to access db
Hi, I've tried posting this query before - but can't find it in the forum. So here goes again. We have Outlook 2007 and on that a shared folder for contacts (with Exchange server). We also have a list of contacts in Access (2003) - Ideally we would like these linked to Outlook. I understand from other posts that the link wizard is not ideal. Being a sunsidiary company it is a difficult and arduous process getting approval for new software - otherwise we'd get something like ContactGenie. My programming skills are limited so any advice is welcome. Is there perhaps a...

Bank Transfer " Access to CheckBook denied"
I have quite a strange problem. I have a user who is failing to Transfer funds from one CheckBook to another. Under Bank Transfer Entry Window when the user tries to select a CHECK BOOK ID he receives a message that he does not have access to CheckBook. But the funny thing is that the user has been granted access to the CHECK BOOK under CHECK BOOK Acess. And I checked his status in the Check Book table and its set to 1. I have refreshed security permissions for the user under Advanced Security for forms,reports and smarlist for the Cashbook Model. Any ideas where I should start lookin...

limit domain admin group access in Exchange environment
We have exchange 2003 and we need to limit the access the domain admins have from editing accounts but it still allows them to view key fuctions like view the Exchange server manager console, but are not able to edit the mailboxes or accounts. Thanks Right, you shouldn't make those people "Domain Admins". They should have rights only on applicable OUs. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2CE5FB8-C280-4213-8828-2C7B860524C6@microsoft.com......

Display a count of unique records in a query in Access 2007
Hi, I'm not sure if I should be in this group, or Reports, but I'll start here. I have a user who would like to do a count of unique records and display the information in a query, or a report. Here are the basics: She has a list of donors, some of the donors donate more than once to the same cause. What she would like is a list of the number of donors, per cause. But, if the donor ID repeats for the same cause, she does not want that ID counted again. Example: We can get a query to return a count of the records per cause. It is returning a value of "7" for a cause,...

Unauthorized access to OWA if account set to change password on lo
Good day, We recently upgraded from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 SP2 Our OWA was previously configured to allow users to change their password. If I configure a user account to "Prompt for the user to change password at next logon", the following page is displayed when they access OWA "You are not authorized to view this page" If I deselect the option that users are required to change their password at next logon, they can login to OWA properly and even change their passwords using the Options section. I'm thinking that there is probably an issue with access ...

Percent value rounds up in Access
I have a table with a field that is set to Number, Double, format percent, 3 decimals THere is a form through which the value is entered into the table. Its format is set to Percent and 3 decimals When the value is entered into that field, it displays 3 decimals of a percent - but the actual value is rounded to the second decimal point. How can I get to display the Percents WITH 3 decimals without rounding? Thanks, When I go to the Format tab of the properties sheet for the control that displays the value and set the Format to Percent and the Decimal Places to 3, I get a percent with three d...

Outlook Web Access Error #2
We have a front end / back end Exchange 2003 setup. When some users log into OWA they receive a you are not authorized to view this page error. As soon as they refresh their browser window, their mailbox shows up. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike We've had this as well and apparently that happens when the password is about to expire. After changing the password, this doesn't happen anymore. I found no solution for this. "Mike Fefferman" <fefferman@news.org> wrote in message news:%23S6NpdkLFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > We have a front end / back end Exchange 20...

string comparsion using access--help
Hi I using access 2003. I am trying to compare data from two tables. Table A and Table B. Table A has 12 digits in 1 column and table b has 10 digits in 1 column. I need to compare Table A data starting in position 2 and ending in positon 11. I tried using instr function but it did not work. SELECT A.ItemLookupCode, B.ItemLookupCode FROM A, B WHERE InStr(2, A.ItemLookupCode, B.ItemLookupCode,11, COMPARE) Thanks Cbs On Jun 28, 1:56 pm, "Cheryl" <cboxiesc...@mindspring.com> wrote: > Hi > I using access 2003. I am trying to compare data from two table...

It it possible to create a database in Access for this:
Hi, Im trying to create a database, but not having much luck. Im new to MS Access. I would like to use a switchboard that people open - it will be used by at least 6 people - so when they open it they have 3 or 4 options to choose from - nice a simple - not confusing for anyone on where to go or what to do. On that i was going to add a form to fill in details on clients. Then from the information that is added in that goes to a table. Such as Name, Number, DOB, location will be filled out for each client. Under that - 10 drop down menus to click on different jobs. Each job goes into a sep...

Windows Terminal Server 2008 / non-clients need to access internet
I have a terminal server environment. I have access points all over the school. I would like visitors to be able to access the internet but in order to get on you have to open a session. How do I get it shared to non-client pcs? -- rubantin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rubantin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/190718.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-server-help/1311934.htm http://forums.techarena.in Hello rubantin, "How do I get it shared to non-client pcs?" Do you mean with ...

web access
Hello, I'm currently running an Active Directory 2003 domain with Exchange 2003. When clients access their emails via Web Access, they are not seeing any emails in only a few folders that they have created. Emails are in the folder if accessed through Outlook but not Web Access. Any Ideas? Thank In Advance... Sam They're not delivering mail to a PST are they? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "mr S" <mrS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD348774-CE0C-4437-9B9D-EFA8A698DC6C@microsoft.com.....

IMAP Access to Multiple Mailbox using PINE
Hi all, We are running Exchange 2003, we need to be able to allow users using PINE to access multiple mailboxes (read only), this was possible in 5.5, which we can configure PINE with "AnotherUser" "{exchange.domain.com}Other Users/AnotherUser/inbox", and grant use reviewer rights to that mailbox But this doesn't seem to work anymore in 2003. How can we do this? Many Thanks, Yang ...

Setting up OWA External Access, No FQDN, using .local domain.
Hello everyone, I am trying to enable users to access OWA externally on our SBS 2003 server. Current set up is XXXXX.local as the domain name with XXXX.org registered but currently only forwarding to a hosted website. Running ISA 2004 on the server as well. OWA and RWW work fine internally but I am struggling to publish these services externally. Currently using a Draytek router with a static IP address. I know that changing the domain is not a practical option in SBS 2003 and have tried using OWA publishing rule & web listener but still unable ...

Cannot see neither access newly created mailboxes
Hi, I have Exchange 2000 server installed on my Windows 2000 Server backup domain controller. Recently I had a problem with active directory synchronization, and with some viruses too but I (thought I) was able to resolve it. Now all seems to work fine but after creating successfully new mailbox enabled user in ADUC, I can't see the newly created mailbox in Exchange System Manager, but it can be found by using find in ADUC (Find->Exchange->"Show only Exchange Recipients", "Users with exchange mailbox"). Trying to access the mailbox using Outlook I get (clicking ...

access newsgroups
I have gotten very confused. Nothing New. I have a new desktop computer with windows 7 and office 2007(Access,Excel,Etc). I am using Outlook for email and my web browser is Explorer. On my old machine I used to go to Newsgroups through through Outlook express but my dsl/ISP provider ATT blocked Newsgroups.So I have not been able to access newsgroups for some time. Now With my new machine I would like to access the Microsoft public newsgroups for ACCESS and EXCEL, ETC. Now I understand Microsoft has established forums instead of newsgroups and has provided a way to access newsgr...

Using excel add-ins in access
I installed an addin for excel. I then created a simple form in an Access db and in the code editor window, I went to Tools...References and picked the add-in as a reference. In the code, I'm trying to call the add in : **** Dim MyStockQuote As MSNStockQuote.Functions Set MyStockQuote = New MSNStockQuote.Functions Me.txtStockQuote.Value = MyStockQuote.MSNStockQuote("MSFT", "Last", "US") **** This is erroring out. When try to debug, the error number I get is 2015. The text in the txtStockQuote is #Error. Am I calling the add-in function ...

Help with: A program is trying to access address book
I still can't get this dialog box to stop popping up. Currently Running Incredimail Outlook add-on and Mailfrontier v4.x. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- **:::::>>:��:*�`����`*:��:<<:::::** .��~ �L�AzZ� W�A��L ~��. **:::::>>:��:*�`����`*:��:<<:::::** {��} WrOnG NuMbEr RoCoCcO, yOu .��~ �L�AzZ� W�A��L ~��. ..��~ �L�AzZ� W�A��L ~��. <nospam@here.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b02c40957db440f9896b4@news.newsgroups.ws>... > I still can't get this dialog box to stop popping up. > Currently Running Incredimail Outlook add-on an...

Access to mailbox of user whose login has been disabled
Where I work, we never just fire somebody and have done with it. Somebody always wants access to the recently-fired employee's mailbox "just in case" something critical comes in. So here's the question: Is it possible in Exchange 2000 and Windows 2000 to disable an AD account and still permit access to the associated mailbox from another user's login? If so, how? I've tried granting full privileges in the disabled user's mailbox to the user who needs to access it, and then tried "Open|>Other User's Folder|>Inbox" in Outlook 2000 wit...

cannot access outlook 2002
Hi, I click the outlook icon and get the following message: cannot start microsoft outlook. File access denied. you do not have permission required to access the file. C:\documents and settings\myname\local settings\application data\outlook\outlook.pst I think I caused the problem, as I was looking for a TEMP file in the similar area. I may have upset some attributes for all subfiles in c:\documents and settings\ ptoblem I have is I've no idea what I did, and therefore no idea what to undid. thanks, Try creating a new profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all repl...