Access 2003 post SP3 hotfix - combo box and list box controls and others

"Combo box controls and list box controls display no value or
incorrect values in Access 2003 after you install Office 2003 Service
Pack 3."  And a few more problems SP3 introduced.

Description of the Access 2003 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package:
December 18, 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:

> "Combo box controls and list box controls display no value or
> incorrect values in Access 2003 after you install Office 2003 Service
> Pack 3."  And a few more problems SP3 introduced.
>
> Description of the Access 2003 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package:
> December 18, 2007
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674
>
> Tony

Maybe SP3 was released to get people to move to A2007.
0
Salad
12/28/2007 1:25:21 AM
Hi Tony

Many thanks for the information.

Is the service pack 3 installed automatically with office updates? How do I
check if I have the service pack installed?

should I install the service pack, then install the hotfix ( if its not
installed)?

Many thanks in advance
Richard

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> "Combo box controls and list box controls display no value or
> incorrect values in Access 2003 after you install Office 2003 Service
> Pack 3."  And a few more problems SP3 introduced.
>
> Description of the Access 2003 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package:
> December 18, 2007
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
Richard
12/28/2007 1:40:36 AM
"Richard" <richardbee@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is the service pack 3 installed automatically with office updates?

It might not be.  I've only been prompted for it when using Microsoft
Update.

>How do I
>check if I have the service pack installed?

Help >> About.  The very first line on that form should end in SP2 or
SP3.

>should I install the service pack, then install the hotfix ( if its not
>installed)?

There's one bug with SQL Server that might not yet be fixed.   But I
think the hotfix fixed most of the problems.   I'd still wait a week
or three.

A2003 SP2 is pretty stable in my opinion.  It has its warts but I can
live with this.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
12/28/2007 2:43:01 AM
Hi Tony

Many thanks

> "Richard" <richardbee@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Is the service pack 3 installed automatically with office updates?
>
> It might not be.  I've only been prompted for it when using Microsoft
> Update.
>
> >How do I
> >check if I have the service pack installed?
>
> Help >> About.  The very first line on that form should end in SP2 or
> SP3.
>
> >should I install the service pack, then install the hotfix ( if its not
> >installed)?
>
> There's one bug with SQL Server that might not yet be fixed.   But I
> think the hotfix fixed most of the problems.   I'd still wait a week
> or three.
>
> A2003 SP2 is pretty stable in my opinion.  It has its warts but I can
> live with this.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
Richard
12/28/2007 3:40:02 AM
Hi Tony

The first line has just Microsoft Office Access 2003 (11.5614.5606)

Does that mean that SP 2 has not been installed?

Thanks again
Richard

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> "Richard" <richardbee@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Is the service pack 3 installed automatically with office updates?
>
> It might not be.  I've only been prompted for it when using Microsoft
> Update.
>
> >How do I
> >check if I have the service pack installed?
>
> Help >> About.  The very first line on that form should end in SP2 or
> SP3.
>
> >should I install the service pack, then install the hotfix ( if its not
> >installed)?
>
> There's one bug with SQL Server that might not yet be fixed.   But I
> think the hotfix fixed most of the problems.   I'd still wait a week
> or three.
>
> A2003 SP2 is pretty stable in my opinion.  It has its warts but I can
> live with this.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
Richard
12/28/2007 3:43:46 AM
"Richard" <richardbee@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The first line has just Microsoft Office Access 2003 (11.5614.5606)
>
>Does that mean that SP 2 has not been installed?

Yup, you don't even have SP1 installed.   I'd suggest at the very
least installing SP2.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
12/28/2007 4:42:00 AM
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:40:36 +0800, "Richard" <richardbee@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is the service pack 3 installed automatically with office updates? How do I
>check if I have the service pack installed?

Open Access; select Help... About Microsoft Access. It will say what service
pack is installed at the end of the top line of the window.

>should I install the service pack, then install the hotfix ( if its not
>installed)?

Microsoft will probably provide the hotfix only if you contact them directly
with documented evidence that the bug in SP3 is causing you problems. See the
Knowledge Base article in Tony's post.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
12/28/2007 4:43:55 AM
Hi Tony

should I skil SP1 and install SP2?

Will there be any problems if I install SP2? The database is working fine
now without any problems. I am afraid it might create problems if I install
anything.

> "Richard" <richardbee@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >The first line has just Microsoft Office Access 2003 (11.5614.5606)
> >
> >Does that mean that SP 2 has not been installed?
>
> Yup, you don't even have SP1 installed.   I'd suggest at the very
> least installing SP2.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
Richard
12/28/2007 5:40:06 AM
Salad <oil@vinegar.com> wrote:

>Maybe SP3 was released to get people to move to A2007.

Ouch.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
12/28/2007 6:03:37 AM
"Richard" <richardbee@hotmail.com> wrote:

>should I skil SP1 and install SP2?

Yes.

>Will there be any problems if I install SP2? The database is working fine
>now without any problems. I am afraid it might create problems if I install
>anything.

Well, if you aren't having any problems then I'd wait a bit more and
see what SP3 is like after the hotfix.

There is a slight risk of malware due to uninstalled patches for
security holes such as buffer overflows.   However that's unlikely in
an Access MDB as we've only seen one so far.  And that was due to a
problem in Jet and not Access.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
12/28/2007 6:06:50 AM
John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:

>>should I install the service pack, then install the hotfix ( if its not
>>installed)?
>
>Microsoft will probably provide the hotfix only if you contact them directly
>with documented evidence that the bug in SP3 is causing you problems. See the
>Knowledge Base article in Tony's post.

Actually you can download the fix right from that KB article.   Which
is unusual.

Also now most hotfixes can be requested via a link at the bottom of
the KB article.   Just put in your email address and you'll be sent an
email with the fix.  MS likes to know what folks have what hotfixes in
case a notification needs to be sent out if there are bugs that that
hotfix creates.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
12/28/2007 6:09:24 AM
Yep, SP3 is a turkey.  I've had to ask all my customers not to install it,
and those who have installed it to uninstall it (which is not as simple as
it sounds...)

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> "Combo box controls and list box controls display no value or
> incorrect values in Access 2003 after you install Office 2003 Service
> Pack 3."  And a few more problems SP3 introduced.
>
> Description of the Access 2003 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package:
> December 18, 2007
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>   Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>   Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>   Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
Baz
12/28/2007 8:54:02 AM
> Just put in your email address and you'll be sent an
> email with the fix.

Huh, I thought MS had a long standing policy of *never ever* sending files
via email. (So you always knew it was a scam if you got an attachment
claiming to be from Redmond).

Maybe that only applies to mass mailings, and not specific requests such as
this.
Or does the email simply contain a link?

--
HTH,
George

> John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote:
>
>>>should I install the service pack, then install the hotfix ( if its not
>>>installed)?
>>
>>Microsoft will probably provide the hotfix only if you contact them
>>directly
>>with documented evidence that the bug in SP3 is causing you problems. See
>>the
>>Knowledge Base article in Tony's post.
>
> Actually you can download the fix right from that KB article.   Which
> is unusual.
>
> Also now most hotfixes can be requested via a link at the bottom of
> the KB article.   Just put in your email address and you'll be sent an
> email with the fix.  MS likes to know what folks have what hotfixes in
> case a notification needs to be sent out if there are bugs that that
> hotfix creates.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>   Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>   Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>   Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
George
12/28/2007 5:20:01 PM
"George Nicholson" <GeorgeNJunk@Junkmsn.com> wrote:

>> Just put in your email address and you'll be sent an
>> email with the fix.
>
>Huh, I thought MS had a long standing policy of *never ever* sending files
>via email. (So you always knew it was a scam if you got an attachment
>claiming to be from Redmond).
>
>Maybe that only applies to mass mailings, and not specific requests such as
>this.
>Or does the email simply contain a link?

The email contains a link.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
12/28/2007 7:33:08 PM
"Richard" <richardbee@hotmail.com> wrote

 > Is the service pack 3 installed automatically with office
 > updates? How do I check if I have the service pack installed?

Yes, SP3 was installed on my machine without explicit request. I am signed
up for automatic Windows/ Office Updates.

Open Access, under Help on the menu, choose About Access 2003.  That will
tell you if you are at the SP3 level.

 > should I install the service pack, then install the hotfix ( if its not
 > installed)?

That would be the appropriate order of operations.

I do not know if the hotfix is automatically sent with Updates.  It might be
worth your following the hyperlink at determining whether it is instaled.

 > Many thanks in advance
 > Richard

You are welcome.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Access MVP

0
Larry
12/31/2007 8:03:01 PM
"Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote:

>I do not know if the hotfix is automatically sent with Updates.

Highly unlikely.   Once it's been more thoroughly tested it'll
probably be converted to a regular patch.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
1/1/2008 8:45:58 PM
But still no fix for the Checkbox issue?

"Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:

> "Combo box controls and list box controls display no value or
> incorrect values in Access 2003 after you install Office 2003 Service
> Pack 3."  And a few more problems SP3 introduced.
>
> Description of the Access 2003 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package:
> December 18, 2007
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

Exchange 2003
I can't seem to get the simple display name to work. I modified the registry to use the simple domain name. I haven't restarted the information store service yet. I thought that with SP2 it should fix this issue. I have Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003. -- La Senza Support In news:00243A09-C043-4224-A45F-FC02CDFB1FEC@microsoft.com, La Senza Support <LaSenzaSupport@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I can't seem to get the simple display name to work. > I modified the registry to use the simple domain name. I haven't > restarted the information store service...

How to stop "Help" accessing Office Online
Excel 2003. I'd like to restrict F1/Help to just searching the local help file. For example, with a stupidly simple example: =vlookup Press F1 Assistance appears, then if you hit the green arrow it goes to the online mode and searches the web.... really a pain. Esp. since my firewall blocked the search and thereafter Excel simply crashed. Try: Help|Microsoft Help|Online Content Settings|Online Content Category Turn off what you don't want. Steve wrote: > > Excel 2003. > > I'd like to restrict F1/Help to just searching the local help file. For > exampl...

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Reporting from Project Server

POST or GET?

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

mouse highlighting webbrowser control
Hi, I'm using the webbrowser control. Mouse highligting isn't working (ie. pressing and holding the left mouse button, moving over the items/text to highlight and releasing). Is this something I have to implement manually or is there another reason why this isn't working? Thanks, Craig ...

how to find an item in a list control?

contact list #13

Load image in a unbound control from a attachment field in recor
I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from the same recordset. No problem loading the this data from recordset in VBA. PROBLEM I need to know how to load the unbound controls with Image's from an attachment field in another recordset The normal method of control = Rs!field does not work Please advise -- Thanks Tom dans l'article 78DC5502-3A76-4562-AA20-736446AB1448@microsoft.com, Tom � Tom@discussions.microsoft.com a �crit le 21/01/08 20:28�: > I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from > the same record...

Control End After the Sheet is Modified
Hi, I use control end a lot to go to the bottom right corner of my big sheets. If you delete rows & columns of data it no longer goes to the right hand of the data. Is there any easy way to navigate to the end of the current data? End and down arrow doesn't work if there are gaps in the data. Thanks for looking. Paul You should use <Home> <End> Kassie "Paul" wrote: > Hi, > I use control end a lot to go to the bottom right corner of my big sheets. > If you delete rows & columns of data it no longer goes to the right hand of > the data. Is...

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

Access to User Calendar

microsoft.public.access.conversion

Outlook 2003 drag and drop option has disappeared. Why?
It seems my option to drag and drop messages from my inbox to folders has disappeard. I'm wondering if there is an on/off toggle somewhere I'm missing. Any ideas? What do you mean it has "disappeared?" What are you doing and what happens when you try? What information store are you using? -- Russ Valentine "Vic" <Vic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:38487EA7-641D-4A9E-ADE3-B127E57DD8AA@microsoft.com... > It seems my option to drag and drop messages from my inbox to folders has > disappeard. I'm wondering if there is...