Access 2003 Packaging & Deployment Wizard for Vista Install

Have had no problems installing on XP but Vista is different.

For Vista Installations I have 2 queries:

Believe I should be installing my program and associated files in the
CommonAppDataFolder and that seems to correspond with the ProgramData folder
when installed on Vista.  However, when the front end is installed in
ProgramData folder, the operator can't perform a compact/repair on the front
end file??

Using the PDW how/where do I set up the installation of the back end data
file?  This needs to be accessible by all uses and don't want to run into
the "virtualising" problem.

0
Di
1/23/2008 5:09:31 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi Di,

I'm fairly certain that Vista does not allow users to write files to the
ProgramData folder, so you'll need to pick a new folder, such as
C:\YourAppName or %Appuser%.

The BE file should be installed to a shared folder on a file server. Each
user should have CRWD privileges on this folder.

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html

"Di Cook" wrote:

Have had no problems installing on XP but Vista is different.

For Vista Installations I have 2 queries:

Believe I should be installing my program and associated files in the
CommonAppDataFolder and that seems to correspond with the ProgramData folder
when installed on Vista.  However, when the front end is installed in
ProgramData folder, the operator can't perform a compact/repair on the front
end file??

Using the PDW how/where do I set up the installation of the back end data
file?  This needs to be accessible by all uses and don't want to run into the
"virtualising" problem.
Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for replying.  I think you're right about  the ProgramData
folder but I read an article saying Access Systems should be installed in
this folder and not in the root directory in Vista.  Is %Appuser% equivalent
to User AppData  as the "Root Installation folder" in the Packaging Wizard??
I remember also reading somewhere that if you install programs to the User
AppData folder only that user can use the program and a totally new install
is necessary if another person wants to use program on the same computer.

>The BE file should be installed to a shared folder on a file server. Each
>user should have CRWD privileges on this folder.>

It really is a problem for me to install user permissions manually as most
of my systems are installed remotely by users.

Have to admit XP was a doddle in comparision to Vista.  Appreciate you reply
Tom and hope you don't mind me annoying you further.

Best wishes
Di
"Tom Wickerath" <AOS168b AT comcast DOT net> wrote in message
> Hi Di,
>
> I'm fairly certain that Vista does not allow users to write files to the
> ProgramData folder, so you'll need to pick a new folder, such as
> C:\YourAppName or %Appuser%.
>
> The BE file should be installed to a shared folder on a file server. Each
> user should have CRWD privileges on this folder.
>

> Tom Wickerath
> Microsoft Access MVP
> http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
> http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
>
> "Di Cook" wrote:
>
> Have had no problems installing on XP but Vista is different.
>
> For Vista Installations I have 2 queries:
>
> Believe I should be installing my program and associated files in the
> CommonAppDataFolder and that seems to correspond with the ProgramData
> folder
> when installed on Vista.  However, when the front end is installed in
> ProgramData folder, the operator can't perform a compact/repair on the
> front
> end file??
>
> Using the PDW how/where do I set up the installation of the back end data
> file?  This needs to be accessible by all uses and don't want to run into
> the
> "virtualising" problem.

0
Di
1/23/2008 9:31:49 AM
Hi Di,

> ...but I read an article saying Access Systems should be installed in
> this folder and not in the root directory in Vista.

When I wrote "C:\YourAppName", I meant that "YourAppName" is the name of the
folder that your application would be added to, not that it would be hanging
directly off the root drive. Sorry for the confusion.

> Is %Appuser% equivalent to User AppData  as the "Root Installation folder"
> in the Packaging Wizard??

I don't know, because to be honest, I've never had a need to use the
Packaging Wizard. On my Windows 2000 PC (yes, I'm *so* last century <grin>)
and on my Windows XP PC at work, the %Appuser% folder is the same as:

    C:\Documents And Settings\NTUserID\Application Data

where NTUserID is one's NT UserName.

I believe you are correct that installing to %Appuser% would make the
program available to only the user who installs the program. If that is a
problem, then install to the C:\YourAppName folder.

> It really is a problem for me to install user permissions manually as most
> of my systems are installed remotely by users.

The BE should be installed by a network administrator. Someone who knows
what CRWD privileges for everyone means, without giving you that "deer in the
headlights" look.

"Di Cook" wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks so much for replying.  I think you're right about  the ProgramData
> folder but I read an article saying Access Systems should be installed in
> this folder and not in the root directory in Vista.  Is %Appuser% equivalent
> to User AppData  as the "Root Installation folder" in the Packaging Wizard??
> I remember also reading somewhere that if you install programs to the User
> AppData folder only that user can use the program and a totally new install
> is necessary if another person wants to use program on the same computer.
>
> >The BE file should be installed to a shared folder on a file server. Each
> >user should have CRWD privileges on this folder.>
>
> It really is a problem for me to install user permissions manually as most
> of my systems are installed remotely by users.
>
> Have to admit XP was a doddle in comparision to Vista.  Appreciate you reply
> Tom and hope you don't mind me annoying you further.
>
> Best wishes
> Di
Hi Tom,

Thanks for replying again!!

Just to make sure we're both understanding each other.  From what I've read,
I believe we shouldn't install Vista programs in a folder that is located in
the root directory.  C:\YourAppName suggests to me that I'm saving my files
in a folder that is in the root directory.  Am I still confused?

According to the Packaging Wizard 'User AppData' would translate as
C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\<YourAppNameFolder> so
I guess it is the same as %Appuser%.  I set up a new install using the 'User
AppData' install folder but when I tried installing it it bombs out and I
get an error message saying that it cannot install one of its required
products.  When I use the old time "Program Files" folder the system will
install.  It will also install to the 'Common AppData' option which
according to the PDW translates to C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data\<YourAppNameFolder>.  Only problem is you can't
compact/repair in these folders and the BE has to stored elsewhere.  It
looks to me that the PDW can only install to one folder or children under
this folder.

Tom, sorry I'm raving on but I'm going around in circles.  I've searched the
net trying to find a definitive answer to using the PDW to install Access
2003 DB & runtimes on Vista and I'm finding a lot of info that contradicts
other info.  I've read many times that we're not supposed to install
programs into the \Program Files folder on Vista but the MS example of
Deploying the Access 2007 Runtime (which must surely be intended for Vista)
shows the Root install folder as Program Files, refer
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb501030(printer).aspx

I'm going to call it a night but really appreciate the time you have given
me.

> Hi Di,
>
>> ...but I read an article saying Access Systems should be installed in
>> this folder and not in the root directory in Vista.
>
> When I wrote "C:\YourAppName", I meant that "YourAppName" is the name of
> the
> folder that your application would be added to, not that it would be
> hanging
> directly off the root drive. Sorry for the confusion.
>
>> Is %Appuser% equivalent to User AppData  as the "Root Installation
>> folder"
>> in the Packaging Wizard??
>
> I don't know, because to be honest, I've never had a need to use the
> Packaging Wizard. On my Windows 2000 PC (yes, I'm *so* last century
> <grin>)
> and on my Windows XP PC at work, the %Appuser% folder is the same as:
>
>    C:\Documents And Settings\NTUserID\Application Data
>
> where NTUserID is one's NT UserName.
>
> I believe you are correct that installing to %Appuser% would make the
> program available to only the user who installs the program. If that is a
> problem, then install to the C:\YourAppName folder.
>
>> It really is a problem for me to install user permissions manually as
>> most
>> of my systems are installed remotely by users.
>
> The BE should be installed by a network administrator. Someone who knows
> what CRWD privileges for everyone means, without giving you that "deer in
> the
> headlights" look.
>

> Tom Wickerath
> Microsoft Access MVP
> http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
> http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
>
> "Di Cook" wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Thanks so much for replying.  I think you're right about  the ProgramData
>> folder but I read an article saying Access Systems should be installed in
>> this folder and not in the root directory in Vista.  Is %Appuser%
>> equivalent
>> to User AppData  as the "Root Installation folder" in the Packaging
>> Wizard??
>> I remember also reading somewhere that if you install programs to the
>> User
>> AppData folder only that user can use the program and a totally new
>> install
>> is necessary if another person wants to use program on the same computer.
>>
>> >The BE file should be installed to a shared folder on a file server.
>> >Each
>> >user should have CRWD privileges on this folder.>
>>
>> It really is a problem for me to install user permissions manually as
>> most
>> of my systems are installed remotely by users.
>>
>> Have to admit XP was a doddle in comparision to Vista.  Appreciate you
>> reply
>> Tom and hope you don't mind me annoying you further.
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Di

0
Di
1/23/2008 11:12:37 AM
I'll ping Access MVP Albert Kallal, to see if I can get him to join this
thread. He has lots of experience using a free installer that is suppose to
be a lot better than the PDW.

"Di Cook" wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for replying again!!
>
> Just to make sure we're both understanding each other.  From what I've read,
> I believe we shouldn't install Vista programs in a folder that is located in
> the root directory.  C:\YourAppName suggests to me that I'm saving my files
> in a folder that is in the root directory.  Am I still confused?
>
> According to the Packaging Wizard 'User AppData' would translate as
> C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\<YourAppNameFolder> so
> I guess it is the same as %Appuser%.  I set up a new install using the 'User
> AppData' install folder but when I tried installing it it bombs out and I
> get an error message saying that it cannot install one of its required
> products.  When I use the old time "Program Files" folder the system will
> install.  It will also install to the 'Common AppData' option which
> according to the PDW translates to C:\Documents and Settings\All
> Users\Application Data\<YourAppNameFolder>.  Only problem is you can't
> compact/repair in these folders and the BE has to stored elsewhere.  It
> looks to me that the PDW can only install to one folder or children under
> this folder.
>
> Tom, sorry I'm raving on but I'm going around in circles.  I've searched the
> net trying to find a definitive answer to using the PDW to install Access
> 2003 DB & runtimes on Vista and I'm finding a lot of info that contradicts
> other info.  I've read many times that we're not supposed to install
> programs into the \Program Files folder on Vista but the MS example of
> Deploying the Access 2007 Runtime (which must surely be intended for Vista)
> shows the Root install folder as Program Files, refer
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb501030(printer).aspx
>
> I'm going to call it a night but really appreciate the time you have given
> me.
> Di
Tom,

Just checked in before signing off - that would be wonderful.

Thanks heaps.
Di
> I'll ping Access MVP Albert Kallal, to see if I can get him to join this
> thread. He has lots of experience using a free installer that is suppose
> be a lot better than the PDW.
>

> Tom Wickerath
> Microsoft Access MVP
> http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
> http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
>
> "Di Cook" wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Thanks for replying again!!
>>
>> Just to make sure we're both understanding each other.  From what I've
>> read,
>> I believe we shouldn't install Vista programs in a folder that is located
>> in
>> the root directory.  C:\YourAppName suggests to me that I'm saving my
>> files
>> in a folder that is in the root directory.  Am I still confused?
>>
>> According to the Packaging Wizard 'User AppData' would translate as
>> C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\<YourAppNameFolder>
>> so
>> I guess it is the same as %Appuser%.  I set up a new install using the
>> 'User
>> AppData' install folder but when I tried installing it it bombs out and I
>> get an error message saying that it cannot install one of its required
>> products.  When I use the old time "Program Files" folder the system will
>> install.  It will also install to the 'Common AppData' option which
>> according to the PDW translates to C:\Documents and Settings\All
>> Users\Application Data\<YourAppNameFolder>.  Only problem is you can't
>> compact/repair in these folders and the BE has to stored elsewhere.  It
>> looks to me that the PDW can only install to one folder or children under
>> this folder.
>>
>> Tom, sorry I'm raving on but I'm going around in circles.  I've searched
>> the
>> net trying to find a definitive answer to using the PDW to install Access
>> 2003 DB & runtimes on Vista and I'm finding a lot of info that
>> contradicts
>> other info.  I've read many times that we're not supposed to install
>> programs into the \Program Files folder on Vista but the MS example of
>> Deploying the Access 2007 Runtime (which must surely be intended for
>> Vista)
>> shows the Root install folder as Program Files, refer
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb501030(printer).aspx
>>
>> I'm going to call it a night but really appreciate the time you have
>> given
>> me.
>> Di

0
Di
1/23/2008 11:34:26 AM
Sorry to pick this up so late....

A few things:

I would actually consider making a separate directory in drive c: for the
front end. (eg: c:\myApp\)

Additionally, if that's not workable, then I suggest placing the front end
in the application data....

eg:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Custmailing\CustomersMailingList.mde

from the wizard, that is "common app data"    all users.

I *very* strongly suggest you adopt the SAME setup that works for both win
xp, and vista. That way, you don't spend precious support dollars trying to
maintain two installs....

>I've read many times that we're not supposed to install
>>> programs into the \Program Files folder on Vista

the problem here is that with ms-access you often talking about a program,
and SOME data.

If you having trouble with the "common app data" folder (which should work
fine for both xp/vista), then just start using a custom folder in drive c,
and be done with this..(eg: c:\myApp).

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C86058.45834B00

Hi Albert,

Thanks for replying.  I settled on using the LocalAppData directory =
setting which installs a folder in the root directory as per my last =
note.  I copy both the front and back end to this folder and it is =
working very well - it can be used by all "authenticated users" which is =
what we generally want.  Seems like we going back 10 years with this =
approach but it is working.

BTW I'm using your Word merge code and it's ported over very well into =
Vista.

Thanks again for taking an interest.

Regards
Di

"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal@msn.com> wrote in message =
> Sorry to pick this up so late....
>=20
> A few things:
>=20
> I would actually consider making a separate directory in drive c: for =
the
> front end. (eg: c:\myApp\)
>=20
> Additionally, if that's not workable, then I suggest placing the front =
end
> in the application data....
>=20
> eg:
>=20
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application=20
> Data\Custmailing\CustomersMailingList.mde
>=20
> from the wizard, that is "common app data"    all users.
>=20
> I *very* strongly suggest you adopt the SAME setup that works for both =
win=20
> xp, and vista. That way, you don't spend precious support dollars =
trying to=20
> maintain two installs....
>=20
>>I've read many times that we're not supposed to install
>=20
> the problem here is that with ms-access you often talking about a =
program,=20
> and SOME data.
>=20
> If you having trouble with the "common app data" folder (which should =
work=20
> fine for both xp/vista), then just start using a custom folder in =
drive c,=20
> and be done with this..(eg: c:\myApp).
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com
>=20

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C86058.45834B00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi Albert,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for replying.&nbsp; I settled on =
using the=20
LocalAppData directory setting which installs a folder in the root =
directory as=20
per my last note.&nbsp; I copy both the front and back end to this =
folder and it=20
is working very well - it can be used by all "authenticated users" which =
is what=20
we generally want.&nbsp; Seems like we going back 10 years with this =
approach=20
but it is working.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>BTW I'm using your Word merge code and =
it's ported=20
over&nbsp;very well into Vista.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks again for taking an =
interest.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Di</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Albert D. Kallal" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal@msn.com"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal@msn.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&gt;=20
wrote in message </FONT><A=20
href=3D"news:%231X3Ew6XIHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl"><FONT face=3DArial =

size=3D2>news:%231X3Ew6XIHA.1532@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; Sorry to pick =
this up so=20
late....<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; A few things:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I would =
actually=20
consider making a separate directory in drive c: for the<BR>&gt; front =
end. (eg:=20
c:\myApp\)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Additionally, if that's not workable, then I =
suggest=20
placing the front end<BR>&gt; in the application data....<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
eg:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application =
<BR>&gt;=20
Data\Custmailing\CustomersMailingList.mde<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; from the =
wizard, that=20
is "common app data"&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; all users.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I =
*very*=20
strongly suggest you adopt the SAME setup that works for both win =
<BR>&gt; xp,=20
and vista. That way, you don't spend precious support dollars trying to =
<BR>&gt;=20
maintain two installs....<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt;I've read many times that =
we're=20
not supposed to install<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; programs into the \Program =
Files=20
folder on Vista<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; the problem here is that with ms-access =
you=20
often talking about a program, <BR>&gt; and SOME data.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
If you=20
having trouble with the "common app data" folder (which should work =
<BR>&gt;=20
fine for both xp/vista), then just start using a custom folder in drive =
c,=20
<BR>&gt; and be done with this..(eg: c:\myApp).<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt; --=20
<BR>&gt; Albert D. Kallal&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (Access MVP)<BR>&gt; =
Edmonton,=20
Alberta Canada<BR>&gt; </FONT><A =
href=3D"mailto:pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com"><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com</FONT></A><BR><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C86058.45834B00--

0
Di

Outlook 2003 News

Outlook plug in install
I currently have SQL Server installed on my local pc for some other task. In the install of Outlook plugin for CRM it wants to install MSDE is this going to conflict with my SQL 2000 instance? Joe Thomas wrote: > I currently have SQL Server installed on my local pc for > some other task. In the install of Outlook plugin for CRM > it wants to install MSDE is this going to conflict with > my SQL 2000 instance? Yes it will conflict. Microsoft will not support sales for Outlook if you do this and they strongly recommend not to install sales for Outlook if you already have SQL ins...

open two different Access reports

Outlook 2003 #79

Help Required

Canadian Mergers 2003

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2

Filters in Excel 2003

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

How to install WCF templates?
How to install WCF templates for Visual C# 2008 Express Edition? I have Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition too and my computer is running on Winodws XP Professional. I can find WCF template in VWD2008EE but not in VC#2008EE. Any help would be appreciated Thank you Regards Raj On Apr 15, 1:55=A0pm, Raj <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How to install WCF templates for Visual C# 2008 Express Edition? > > I have Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition too and my computer is > running on Winodws XP Professional. I can find WCF template ...

question on the rules wizard
When clikcing on the Rules Wizard, Outlook locks up - consistently. Has anyone got a remedy for this? Thank you, rich rpage@concerto.com ...

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003

PDA-Outlook 2003