Access 2003 Crashes and corrupt ADP projects

Hi,

we have a big big problem.

We have a large ADP project (900 objects Forms-Reports-Modules)
Recently the project has become unstable.
Not always, but often, when modifying a Form or a Report the program crashes
or prompt with Memory errors.

Project corrupted? 
We tried to add the project to sourceSafe and then recreate it from 
SourceSafe, but the errors remains. Source safe extract every object to 
files, opening each object in access, in order to export it. If some object 
is corrupted the extraction fails. Our project has been extracted and 
recreated succesfully.


Any help on this issue?

many thanks
0
Utf
3/12/2008 9:54:00 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

7 Replies
1320 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 33

To recover from corruption, I'd suggest:

Always work on a copy of the database. Working on the original may make it 
impossible to fix it.

Try using SaveAsText LoadFromText (it may not work on ADPs)

Any outside program which may save the file, may corrupt it. I don't use 
SourceSafe, so I can't give you any specifics on that product, but I'd 
suggest avoiding it until you are sure that it isn't the cause or a 
contributor to your problem.
-- 
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com
http://www.mvps.org/access
http://www.accessmvp.com


"Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:B607F90B-3115-4004-A5DF-1D5AF3F161DB@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> we have a big big problem.
>
> We have a large ADP project (900 objects Forms-Reports-Modules)
> Recently the project has become unstable.
> Not always, but often, when modifying a Form or a Report the program 
> crashes
> or prompt with Memory errors.
>
> Project corrupted?
> We tried to add the project to sourceSafe and then recreate it from
> SourceSafe, but the errors remains. Source safe extract every object to
> files, opening each object in access, in order to export it. If some 
> object
> is corrupted the extraction fails. Our project has been extracted and
> recreated succesfully.
>
>
> Any help on this issue?
>
> many thanks 


0
Arvin
3/12/2008 11:44:12 AM
Hi Arvin,

the problem isn't caused by SourceSafe. 
We tried to add the project to SourceSafe because SourceSafe, in order to 
add the project to the VSS DB, extract every object to a text File.
Then SourceSafe permits to recreate the original ADP project from the 
extracted text files. During this process every object is addet to a new adp 
project. it also checks the integrity of the objects saving them in 
background.

Unfortunately, the project is unstable even after recreation.

To reproduce the crash on my PC and on athers PC in my environment:

1. Open the ADP
2. Open a Report in Design Mode
3. create a Textbox
4. change the textbox controlType to Label
5. Enter a word as caption for the label
6. Save the Report

a. MessageBox "Memory unavailable" (Translated from italian)
b. Unable to close/save the object
c. Force Access Shutdown
d. Re-open Access
e. Compact/Repair the database
f.  aaaaargghhh!!!
      Every Form and Report has lost his code-behind
      No way to make the project functional
g. Sigh... restore from last backup...

We save the project 5/6 times a day, because for every object change we need 
to re-distribuite the ADE project to 50 clients.
The backup process is integrated in the deploy process.
We have 10 backups per month for the original ADP in the last 12 months,
but the problem seems to be introduced recently.

An old file, from June i.e., becomes unusable if modified today.

Does anyone have notice of recent Windows/Office Update tha can be the cause 
of this behavior??

Many Thanks i.a.







"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:

> To recover from corruption, I'd suggest:
> 
> Always work on a copy of the database. Working on the original may make it 
> impossible to fix it.
> 
> Try using SaveAsText LoadFromText (it may not work on ADPs)
> 
> Any outside program which may save the file, may corrupt it. I don't use 
> SourceSafe, so I can't give you any specifics on that product, but I'd 
> suggest avoiding it until you are sure that it isn't the cause or a 
> contributor to your problem.
> -- 
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com
> 
> 
> "Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:B607F90B-3115-4004-A5DF-1D5AF3F161DB@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > we have a big big problem.
> >
> > We have a large ADP project (900 objects Forms-Reports-Modules)
> > Recently the project has become unstable.
> > Not always, but often, when modifying a Form or a Report the program 
> > crashes
> > or prompt with Memory errors.
> >
> > Project corrupted?
> > We tried to add the project to sourceSafe and then recreate it from
> > SourceSafe, but the errors remains. Source safe extract every object to
> > files, opening each object in access, in order to export it. If some 
> > object
> > is corrupted the extraction fails. Our project has been extracted and
> > recreated succesfully.
> >
> >
> > Any help on this issue?
> >
> > many thanks 
> 
> 
> 
0
Utf
3/12/2008 2:52:37 PM
Hi again,

any other considerations:

we found that in two operations the crash appears everytime:

1. Open a report
    Copy a textbox
    Change it to LABEL
    Write a caption
    Save
    Access Crashes

2. Open a Module
    Write a line of code (even a comment)
    Save (all OK)
    Debug Code (From menu - all OK)
    Save Again
    Access Crashes and deletes all the code from all the project


The 2nd option is the worse because it "zaps" all the code-behind from Forms 
and reports.

Any idea?

Thanks, 
Dredy-italy

"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:

> To recover from corruption, I'd suggest:
> 
> Always work on a copy of the database. Working on the original may make it 
> impossible to fix it.
> 
> Try using SaveAsText LoadFromText (it may not work on ADPs)
> 
> Any outside program which may save the file, may corrupt it. I don't use 
> SourceSafe, so I can't give you any specifics on that product, but I'd 
> suggest avoiding it until you are sure that it isn't the cause or a 
> contributor to your problem.
> -- 
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com
> 
> 
> "Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:B607F90B-3115-4004-A5DF-1D5AF3F161DB@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > we have a big big problem.
> >
> > We have a large ADP project (900 objects Forms-Reports-Modules)
> > Recently the project has become unstable.
> > Not always, but often, when modifying a Form or a Report the program 
> > crashes
> > or prompt with Memory errors.
> >
> > Project corrupted?
> > We tried to add the project to sourceSafe and then recreate it from
> > SourceSafe, but the errors remains. Source safe extract every object to
> > files, opening each object in access, in order to export it. If some 
> > object
> > is corrupted the extraction fails. Our project has been extracted and
> > recreated succesfully.
> >
> >
> > Any help on this issue?
> >
> > many thanks 
> 
> 
> 
0
Utf
3/12/2008 2:59:03 PM
I see two possibilities: 1- the recent introduction of Office 2003 SP3 or 2- 
your project is to big for ADP; ie, Windows is lacking ressources.

Did you try to split your ADP in two, for example keeping the forms in one 
project and putting the reports into another project?

Cleaning up the user properties on the sql-server database could also be a 
good idea.

-- 
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)


"Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:83D3E5A2-BD9D-4A28-8395-76919827E8B8@microsoft.com...
> Hi again,
>
> any other considerations:
>
> we found that in two operations the crash appears everytime:
>
> 1. Open a report
>    Copy a textbox
>    Change it to LABEL
>    Write a caption
>    Save
>    Access Crashes
>
> 2. Open a Module
>    Write a line of code (even a comment)
>    Save (all OK)
>    Debug Code (From menu - all OK)
>    Save Again
>    Access Crashes and deletes all the code from all the project
>
>
> The 2nd option is the worse because it "zaps" all the code-behind from 
> Forms
> and reports.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Dredy-italy
>
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> To recover from corruption, I'd suggest:
>>
>> Always work on a copy of the database. Working on the original may make 
>> it
>> impossible to fix it.
>>
>> Try using SaveAsText LoadFromText (it may not work on ADPs)
>>
>> Any outside program which may save the file, may corrupt it. I don't use
>> SourceSafe, so I can't give you any specifics on that product, but I'd
>> suggest avoiding it until you are sure that it isn't the cause or a
>> contributor to your problem.
>> -- 
>> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> http://www.datastrat.com
>> http://www.mvps.org/access
>> http://www.accessmvp.com
>>
>>
>> "Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:B607F90B-3115-4004-A5DF-1D5AF3F161DB@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > we have a big big problem.
>> >
>> > We have a large ADP project (900 objects Forms-Reports-Modules)
>> > Recently the project has become unstable.
>> > Not always, but often, when modifying a Form or a Report the program
>> > crashes
>> > or prompt with Memory errors.
>> >
>> > Project corrupted?
>> > We tried to add the project to sourceSafe and then recreate it from
>> > SourceSafe, but the errors remains. Source safe extract every object to
>> > files, opening each object in access, in order to export it. If some
>> > object
>> > is corrupted the extraction fails. Our project has been extracted and
>> > recreated succesfully.
>> >
>> >
>> > Any help on this issue?
>> >
>> > many thanks
>>
>>
>> 


0
Sylvain
3/12/2008 3:23:47 PM
Have you recently changed Access versions, or installed an Office Service 
Pack? I've found lately that Access can be excruciating sensitive to these 
changes, with results similar to what you describe. Using SourceSafe 
integration appeared to exacerbate the problem. I had some forms where 
removing the hotkey assignment on a label was enough to stop the corruption. 
When using a db created from SourceSafe with Access 2003, I would get random 
corruption if I opened the same db in Access 2007. MS Access tech support 
came up with the workaround of opening every form in Access 2003 before ever 
opening the db in Access 2007.

You might try starting with the cleanest copy of your db you can get. Then 
create a new empty adp and connect it to the same SQL Server. Import objects 
in groups, trying to see which one(s) cause problems. For example, you could 
start with importing all the modules. If you can compile at that point (no 
references to forms or reports in the modules), so much the better. Then try 
all the reports, and see if things appear stable. Etc. If you see problems 
with reports, for example, start over and next time import half the reports, 
etc. until you hopefully find a few problematic objects. In my case, it 
usually turned out to be just a few objects. I was able to import older 
versions from backups, and then things became stable again. SourceSafe 
integration worked fine, as long as I was only using a single Access 
version/service pack level.

You also mentioned having 900 total Access objects. I seem to remember that 
Access only supports 1024 total objects, although I could be wrong about 
that. If so, stability might be poor as you approach the limit. While not 
ideal, I wonder if splitting the adp into 2 separate adp's might help?

"Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:83D3E5A2-BD9D-4A28-8395-76919827E8B8@microsoft.com...
> Hi again,
>
> any other considerations:
>
> we found that in two operations the crash appears everytime:
>
> 1. Open a report
>    Copy a textbox
>    Change it to LABEL
>    Write a caption
>    Save
>    Access Crashes
>
> 2. Open a Module
>    Write a line of code (even a comment)
>    Save (all OK)
>    Debug Code (From menu - all OK)
>    Save Again
>    Access Crashes and deletes all the code from all the project
>
>
> The 2nd option is the worse because it "zaps" all the code-behind from 
> Forms
> and reports.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Dredy-italy
>
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> To recover from corruption, I'd suggest:
>>
>> Always work on a copy of the database. Working on the original may make 
>> it
>> impossible to fix it.
>>
>> Try using SaveAsText LoadFromText (it may not work on ADPs)
>>
>> Any outside program which may save the file, may corrupt it. I don't use
>> SourceSafe, so I can't give you any specifics on that product, but I'd
>> suggest avoiding it until you are sure that it isn't the cause or a
>> contributor to your problem.
>> -- 
>> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> http://www.datastrat.com
>> http://www.mvps.org/access
>> http://www.accessmvp.com
>>
>>
>> "Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:B607F90B-3115-4004-A5DF-1D5AF3F161DB@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > we have a big big problem.
>> >
>> > We have a large ADP project (900 objects Forms-Reports-Modules)
>> > Recently the project has become unstable.
>> > Not always, but often, when modifying a Form or a Report the program
>> > crashes
>> > or prompt with Memory errors.
>> >
>> > Project corrupted?
>> > We tried to add the project to sourceSafe and then recreate it from
>> > SourceSafe, but the errors remains. Source safe extract every object to
>> > files, opening each object in access, in order to export it. If some
>> > object
>> > is corrupted the extraction fails. Our project has been extracted and
>> > recreated succesfully. 

0
Paul
3/12/2008 3:28:26 PM
Hi Paul,

yes, we recently (december) have installed the Service Pack 3 (Office 2003)
but the crashes has began last couple of weeks...

We decided to uninstall and reinstall the entire office (Clean)
Then we re-installed the SP2, but the crashes remains

If the problem was caused by SP3, the db has been corrupted starting from 
December, this means that all the daily backups, starting from december are 
corrupted. The big problem is in tracking the changes from december to 
today....

Or the corruption can be caused by a most recent Update.
We'll try to go back and try to edit an older backup.
I think that i could find a old stable file.

Good luck (for me .....)

Bye and thanks

Dredy - Italy




"Paul Shapiro" wrote:

> Have you recently changed Access versions, or installed an Office Service 
> Pack? I've found lately that Access can be excruciating sensitive to these 
> changes, with results similar to what you describe. Using SourceSafe 
> integration appeared to exacerbate the problem. I had some forms where 
> removing the hotkey assignment on a label was enough to stop the corruption. 
> When using a db created from SourceSafe with Access 2003, I would get random 
> corruption if I opened the same db in Access 2007. MS Access tech support 
> came up with the workaround of opening every form in Access 2003 before ever 
> opening the db in Access 2007.
> 
> You might try starting with the cleanest copy of your db you can get. Then 
> create a new empty adp and connect it to the same SQL Server. Import objects 
> in groups, trying to see which one(s) cause problems. For example, you could 
> start with importing all the modules. If you can compile at that point (no 
> references to forms or reports in the modules), so much the better. Then try 
> all the reports, and see if things appear stable. Etc. If you see problems 
> with reports, for example, start over and next time import half the reports, 
> etc. until you hopefully find a few problematic objects. In my case, it 
> usually turned out to be just a few objects. I was able to import older 
> versions from backups, and then things became stable again. SourceSafe 
> integration worked fine, as long as I was only using a single Access 
> version/service pack level.
> 
> You also mentioned having 900 total Access objects. I seem to remember that 
> Access only supports 1024 total objects, although I could be wrong about 
> that. If so, stability might be poor as you approach the limit. While not 
> ideal, I wonder if splitting the adp into 2 separate adp's might help?
> 
> "Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:83D3E5A2-BD9D-4A28-8395-76919827E8B8@microsoft.com...
> > Hi again,
> >
> > any other considerations:
> >
> > we found that in two operations the crash appears everytime:
> >
> > 1. Open a report
> >    Copy a textbox
> >    Change it to LABEL
> >    Write a caption
> >    Save
> >    Access Crashes
> >
> > 2. Open a Module
> >    Write a line of code (even a comment)
> >    Save (all OK)
> >    Debug Code (From menu - all OK)
> >    Save Again
> >    Access Crashes and deletes all the code from all the project
> >
> >
> > The 2nd option is the worse because it "zaps" all the code-behind from 
> > Forms
> > and reports.
> >
> > Any idea?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dredy-italy
> >
> > "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> To recover from corruption, I'd suggest:
> >>
> >> Always work on a copy of the database. Working on the original may make 
> >> it
> >> impossible to fix it.
> >>
> >> Try using SaveAsText LoadFromText (it may not work on ADPs)
> >>
> >> Any outside program which may save the file, may corrupt it. I don't use
> >> SourceSafe, so I can't give you any specifics on that product, but I'd
> >> suggest avoiding it until you are sure that it isn't the cause or a
> >> contributor to your problem.
> >> -- 
> >> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> >> http://www.datastrat.com
> >> http://www.mvps.org/access
> >> http://www.accessmvp.com
> >>
> >>
> >> "Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:B607F90B-3115-4004-A5DF-1D5AF3F161DB@microsoft.com...
> >> > Hi,
> >> >
> >> > we have a big big problem.
> >> >
> >> > We have a large ADP project (900 objects Forms-Reports-Modules)
> >> > Recently the project has become unstable.
> >> > Not always, but often, when modifying a Form or a Report the program
> >> > crashes
> >> > or prompt with Memory errors.
> >> >
> >> > Project corrupted?
> >> > We tried to add the project to sourceSafe and then recreate it from
> >> > SourceSafe, but the errors remains. Source safe extract every object to
> >> > files, opening each object in access, in order to export it. If some
> >> > object
> >> > is corrupted the extraction fails. Our project has been extracted and
> >> > recreated succesfully. 
> 
> 
0
Utf
3/12/2008 3:48:02 PM
There have been several bugs reported (mostly fixed) from SP3. It also may 
be peculiar to the Italian version. Fortunately, there is an Italian Access 
newsgroup and an excellent Italian Access MVP to help.

microsoft.public.it.office.access

is the newsgroup, and Cinzia Pagani is the MVP.
-- 
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com
http://www.mvps.org/access
http://www.accessmvp.com

"Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:7CA63036-88E2-445E-978E-55345940D508@microsoft.com...
> Hi Paul,
>
> yes, we recently (december) have installed the Service Pack 3 (Office 
> 2003)
> but the crashes has began last couple of weeks...
>
> We decided to uninstall and reinstall the entire office (Clean)
> Then we re-installed the SP2, but the crashes remains
>
> If the problem was caused by SP3, the db has been corrupted starting from
> December, this means that all the daily backups, starting from december 
> are
> corrupted. The big problem is in tracking the changes from december to
> today....
>
> Or the corruption can be caused by a most recent Update.
> We'll try to go back and try to edit an older backup.
> I think that i could find a old stable file.
>
> Good luck (for me .....)
>
> Bye and thanks
>
> Dredy - Italy
>
>
>
>
> "Paul Shapiro" wrote:
>
>> Have you recently changed Access versions, or installed an Office Service
>> Pack? I've found lately that Access can be excruciating sensitive to 
>> these
>> changes, with results similar to what you describe. Using SourceSafe
>> integration appeared to exacerbate the problem. I had some forms where
>> removing the hotkey assignment on a label was enough to stop the 
>> corruption.
>> When using a db created from SourceSafe with Access 2003, I would get 
>> random
>> corruption if I opened the same db in Access 2007. MS Access tech support
>> came up with the workaround of opening every form in Access 2003 before 
>> ever
>> opening the db in Access 2007.
>>
>> You might try starting with the cleanest copy of your db you can get. 
>> Then
>> create a new empty adp and connect it to the same SQL Server. Import 
>> objects
>> in groups, trying to see which one(s) cause problems. For example, you 
>> could
>> start with importing all the modules. If you can compile at that point 
>> (no
>> references to forms or reports in the modules), so much the better. Then 
>> try
>> all the reports, and see if things appear stable. Etc. If you see 
>> problems
>> with reports, for example, start over and next time import half the 
>> reports,
>> etc. until you hopefully find a few problematic objects. In my case, it
>> usually turned out to be just a few objects. I was able to import older
>> versions from backups, and then things became stable again. SourceSafe
>> integration worked fine, as long as I was only using a single Access
>> version/service pack level.
>>
>> You also mentioned having 900 total Access objects. I seem to remember 
>> that
>> Access only supports 1024 total objects, although I could be wrong about
>> that. If so, stability might be poor as you approach the limit. While not
>> ideal, I wonder if splitting the adp into 2 separate adp's might help?
>>
>> "Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:83D3E5A2-BD9D-4A28-8395-76919827E8B8@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi again,
>> >
>> > any other considerations:
>> >
>> > we found that in two operations the crash appears everytime:
>> >
>> > 1. Open a report
>> >    Copy a textbox
>> >    Change it to LABEL
>> >    Write a caption
>> >    Save
>> >    Access Crashes
>> >
>> > 2. Open a Module
>> >    Write a line of code (even a comment)
>> >    Save (all OK)
>> >    Debug Code (From menu - all OK)
>> >    Save Again
>> >    Access Crashes and deletes all the code from all the project
>> >
>> >
>> > The 2nd option is the worse because it "zaps" all the code-behind from
>> > Forms
>> > and reports.
>> >
>> > Any idea?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Dredy-italy
>> >
>> > "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" wrote:
>> >
>> >> To recover from corruption, I'd suggest:
>> >>
>> >> Always work on a copy of the database. Working on the original may 
>> >> make
>> >> it
>> >> impossible to fix it.
>> >>
>> >> Try using SaveAsText LoadFromText (it may not work on ADPs)
>> >>
>> >> Any outside program which may save the file, may corrupt it. I don't 
>> >> use
>> >> SourceSafe, so I can't give you any specifics on that product, but I'd
>> >> suggest avoiding it until you are sure that it isn't the cause or a
>> >> contributor to your problem.
>> >> -- 
>> >> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> >> http://www.datastrat.com
>> >> http://www.mvps.org/access
>> >> http://www.accessmvp.com
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> "Dredy" <Dredy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:B607F90B-3115-4004-A5DF-1D5AF3F161DB@microsoft.com...
>> >> > Hi,
>> >> >
>> >> > we have a big big problem.
>> >> >
>> >> > We have a large ADP project (900 objects Forms-Reports-Modules)
>> >> > Recently the project has become unstable.
>> >> > Not always, but often, when modifying a Form or a Report the program
>> >> > crashes
>> >> > or prompt with Memory errors.
>> >> >
>> >> > Project corrupted?
>> >> > We tried to add the project to sourceSafe and then recreate it from
>> >> > SourceSafe, but the errors remains. Source safe extract every object 
>> >> > to
>> >> > files, opening each object in access, in order to export it. If some
>> >> > object
>> >> > is corrupted the extraction fails. Our project has been extracted 
>> >> > and
>> >> > recreated succesfully.
>>
>> 


0
Arvin
3/13/2008 11:37:10 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Inconsistent behaviour of attributes accessed through structured r
I have a table that represents information in an outline structure. The table has two columns, "Level" and "Requirement" that look like this- Level Requirement 1 Top Level 2 Next Level 2 Next Level again 3 Further sublevel 2 Back to Level 2 Now, what I want to two functions that will- 1) Set the indents of the "Requirements" column based on the level numbers, or- 2) Se the Level numbers based on the indents of the Requirements column. Sounds easy, And one way it is! Can anyo...

Toggle between workbooks 2003
I have lost the option of toggling between multiple workbooks from the Windows Taskbar. The box is checked under tools, options, views, Windows in task bar. Using XP and Excel 2003. Maybe right click on the 'Start' button > Properties > 'Task Bar' tab > un-check 'Group similar buttons...' > OK Micky "Cindy" wrote: > I have lost the option of toggling between multiple workbooks from the > Windows Taskbar. The box is checked under tools, options, views, Windows in > task bar. Using XP and Excel 2003. ...

Direct Link from MS Project to MS Access
I'm building a database in MS Access. Currently we are dumping MS Project information into Excel and importing into MS Access. I need to determine if there is a way to link MS Access directly to tables in MS Project for automatic updates instead of export/import. ...

EXCEL 97
Hi there! Ive created a linked spreadsheet in 2003 and am unable to open in 97. The error msg i get is "unable to open - insufficient memory". Any clues how i can get around this little dilema??? Thanks in advance! ...

Folder Creation slow in Exchange 2003
Hi, I just got through an Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, and am working out the kinks. One thing I noticed, when I create a folder in Outlook (i.e. task list, contacts, calendar, etc.) it takes like 4 minutes to add it. Using Exchange 5.5, it was pretty much immediate. Any ideas? I do still have the 5.5 server in the organization, but it's shutdown. Could this have an impact? Thanks, Troy ...

Corrupt inbox in Outlook 2007?
Very frequently, I'm in my Inbox and I see new mail has come in. On the mail folders to the left, I see the unread emails number continue to count but the messages don't show up. The only way to get them to show up is by clicking out of the Inbox to another folder and then clicking back on the Inbox. Whenever this happens, I also get error messages on startup telling me that outlook didn't close successfully last time. Any thoughts on either? Regards, Mark What OS are you using? This was a common problem using the Windows = Firewall in Windows XP SP-2. =20 --=81 Milly Staples [...

Message Tracking XML File
Hello: Is there any utility out there that can read the XML file saved from the Message Tracking Center, and present it in an easily readable format? MS explains the XML schema at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms987640(EXCHG.65).aspx but doesn't offer a program to do anything. I found http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2007/11/13/more-exchange-message-tracking.aspx, which looks like it'll take the raw log files themselves and convert them into XML, which isn't what I need. Thank you. -- Regards, M MCTS, MCSA Nevermind....

Cannot Install Exchange 2003
Ok, I'm, stuck. I have completed all prerequisites for Exchange 2003 install and still receive this error when Site Replication Service is being installed: Setup failed while installing sub-component Site Replication Services with error code 0xC1030B11 (please consult the Installation logs for a detailed description). You may cancel the installation or try the failed step again.. I have done everything in MS KB 83395 on this and still it continues to fail. the one problem I have with the KB article is that it tells you to change the passwords for this service to be the same on the...

Exchange 2003 Enterprise / Public Folder Store
Hello, I have the following configuration: - Windows 2003 SP1 with Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP2 - 2 OU with users - each OU has it's own GAL, AL and OAB I created two public folder stores for each OU and to give each OU access to a public folder store. But I even can't my additional Public Folder Store in Outlook. Additionaly I try to replicate one OAB to the additional Public Folder Store. Thanks in advance. Cheers Fabian "But I even can't my additional Public Folder Store in Outlook. " You want to clarify that? "Fabian K´┐Żlling" <FabianKlling@dis...

Publishing web site using ProntPage 2003
I noticed that when I publish web site to the server after I made changes, some of the files in the server are not changed. But some of them do get changed. The unchanged files are not used in the web but still stay in the server. I have no control of this. Can I force the server to match exactly the web in my PC when I publish (delete all the extra files)? Thanks. You probably got the wrong newsgroup, this is excel Regards, Peo Sjoblom "jeffrey" wrote: > I noticed that when I publish web site to the server after I made changes, > some of the files in the server ar...

"Access denied" frm Vista client to Win2003 server, but not XP or
The setup: -A Win2003 server at a hosting site, configured for VPN access. -The Win2003 server has 2 users configured, e.g. Bill and Fred. Each has the 'Allow access' selection for "Remote Access Permission (Dial-in or VPN)" on their individual properties page. -The Win2003 server has 3 shared folders, with share names "Everybody", "Bills Folder", and "Freds Folder", as implied, the 'Everyone' group has read access via the 'Permissions' settings of the shared directory properties. Bill and Fred each have full ...

Outlook 2003 Cannot Send Mail via POP/SMTP
I have a number of remote users who POP's mail into and out of our Exchange 2000 box. One is unable to send mail to anyone (either within the organisation or to external addresses), so I have temporarily discounted relaying as an issue, although I have checked the settings on the virtual server and they are all correct (allowing authenticated users to relay mail etc.) Receiving seems OK. The user has Outlook 2003 (fresh install) on Windows XP (fresh install). Log file: 2004.07.29 15:29:39 <<<< Logging Started (level is LTF_TRACE) >>>> 2004.07.29 15:29:39 server.d...

Getting 'read' access to all domain mailboxes?
Is it possible setup one user to have full read access to all our domain mailboxes? I have read about delegate access but I just want to assign one users (our personnel manager) to have read access to all mailboxes Again, I only want this one person to have 'read only' access to all the other mailboxes so she can read their mail etc Many thanks in advance - ras - ...

Word 2007
I used to be able to open Word 2007 documents in Word 2003, taking advantage of the compatability pack. It is still installed, but I can no longer open the 07 documents in 03. Please advise what I should look for as a potential problem? Kelli "Kelli" <Kelli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:329F6A40-4349-40A3-B495-48850535EE66@microsoft.com... >I used to be able to open Word 2007 documents in Word 2003, taking >advantage > of the compatability pack. It is still installed, but I can no longer > open > the 07 documents in 03. &g...

How to access help?
That office assistant thing is useless to me. It says you can switch it off but how? And where do I find stock standard help? Or does that only come up when you've got the paperclip switched off? In which case, again, how do I switch the thing off? How to modify or remove Office Assistant Help in Office 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/203689/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "abrogard" <abrogard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36DF541B-4845-454E-B610-4BA5DFD28952@mi...

How do you import a pdf file into Microsoft publisher 2003
I'm doing my kid's school directory. I have ads thathave been submitted as pdf files. How do I place those files on my pages. Microsoft doesn't give me the answer; neither does adobe. A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from rbpublisher <rbpublisher@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I'm doing my kid's school directory. I have ads thathave been > submitted as pdf files. How do I place those files on my pages. > Microsoft doesn't give me the answer; neither does adobe. You need to convert the PDF files to graphics suc...

cannot see inserted pictures in publisher 2003
cannot see pictures in 2003, although frame adjusting dots appear. I open new page, select insert picture (doesn't matter where from, still no different). Help please. Program worked on original pc which originally had an earlier version of publisher installed. The program is not an update, but full version. PC P4 running XP home and office XP View, pictures, detailed display.. If this is not the solution, you may need an upgraded video driver. Do this: Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel, display folder, settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab. If thi...

Validation Rule for IBAN Account number in MS Access Form field
Hi, In my table (and the form field linked to it) I have a field for the IBAN account number, which must be 2 Upper case characters A to Z, followed by 18 manadatory digits, and up to 28 total. So in my input mask I have this: >LL00\-0000\-0000\-0000\-0000\-9999\-9999;; and it works fine. But when the user enters less than 20 characters total (including the two letters at the start and at least 18 digits) Access gives a very unfriendly ''The value you entered isn't appropriate for the input mask '>LL00\-0000\-0000\-0000\-0000\-9999\-9999;;' specified for thi...

Problem with reading Reminders in Outlook 2003
Every time I start Outlook 2003 a pop-up message appears: "There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders. Some reminders may not appear. Cannot locate recurrence information for this appointment." How do I get rid of this annoying pop- up message? I have tried to take all my reminders that I could find out of my calendar, the message still appears. What do I need to do? Has anyone experience similar problem. How do I get rid off this pop-up message. Many thanks for your help. Martin. Martin <martin@kellyville.org.au> wrote: > Every time I start Outlook 2003 a...

Exchange 2003 SP1 and IMF
Here is something tricky. I have windows 2003 SP1 and exchange 2003 SP1 cluster machine. I never installed IMF. Ever since I have the cluster working, I keep get 9661 information. LIke this Event Type: Information Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9661 Date: 2/3/2006 Time: 4:17:46 PM User: N/A Computer: XXXXXXXXXXXXX Description: The Unsolicited Commercial Email default filter level has been updated. The new value is 5. I was told that IMF will not work on cluster. I checked in m$ website that this information means IMF is working. I do not want this function a...

Outlook 2003 does not show Appointment Availability for users for
When adding an appointment next year for private or public calendar using outllok 2003 on exchnage 2003, and inviting othe ruser from gal it shows shows there status in the schdele as no information. If shcedule appointment this year shows the status of the users schedule as is planned in their calendar. please help ...

Exchange 2003 #25
Hi, I install Exchange 2003 on Windows 2000 server, I try to configure MAILBOXE in one workstation with win2000 PRO, with OUTLOOK 2000 , and get the Error " OPERATION FAILD" whene I press the check name. localy on the server I can use the outlook, In the workstation I see the server by \\server . and By ping server . What Can I do? ...

Disable Activate Product
Hi, I need to be able to disable the Activate Product option on the Help menu. I have been able to do it with all of other office 2003 apps. I have tried using [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Publisher\DisabledcmdBarItemsList] TCID1 = 5933 but it just won't work. Any suggestions? Thank you, Scott ...

Exchange 2003 : Log for an email process...
Hi, How do I check the log for an email. For example, user A mailbox, what is the incoming and outgoing emails for that mailbox for the past few days ? Thank you. Regards, Zul Use the Message Tracking feature in Exchange System Manager. This uses the tracking logs held in the servername.log share under your \exchsrvr folder. There are 3rd party tools that can elaborate on these logs, two of which I detail here: http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/08/exchange_messag.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com &quo...

SBS 2003 Exchange conundrum (external user)
Our exchange system is set up using the pop3 connector to pop accounts hosted by NS who hosts our domain name. Works well. I have a user off-site that I'd like to give a user@ourdomain.com to so it sounded easy enough, went into Network Solutions account manager and created an account for him. Great, Now he can sit off-site and use webmail to send and receive to his client and look like he's part of my domain. Just what I wanted. Didn't want go get into giving him exchange/outlook account as we are not exposed to internet and I'm not going through the RPC over ht...