Access 2003 Command-line /WRKGRP Not Working

Even though I have created a workgroup for each of my databases, trying
to use the command-line /WRKGRP option does not seem to work. Whichever
workgroup I use the "Join..." button for is not replaced when I call up
another database using the following command structure:
"[path_to]\MSACCESS.EXE" "[path_to]\mydb.mdb" /WRKGRP "[path_to]mydb.mdw"

The only way I can change the workgroup is through the menu. That is NOT
the solution I need as users ARE NOT going to do this each time they
change to another database. The reason I need seperate workgroups is
that the same staff members need different access rights in each db. For
example, the clerical staff need to be able to enter/delete/update/etc.
data in the Mail Log program but should NOT be able to do so in the
other databases.

Am I missing something here or is this feature broken in Access2003??

Thanks.
0
cosmic
3/14/2008 2:09:44 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

What you are striving for is all doable.

Double-check that all the paths are valid, and that the user has all the
permissions needed to use these 3 files (access, the workgroup, and the
mdw.)

"cosmic debris" <tcosmas@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Even though I have created a workgroup for each of my databases, trying to
> use the command-line /WRKGRP option does not seem to work. Whichever
> workgroup I use the "Join..." button for is not replaced when I call up
> another database using the following command structure:
> "[path_to]\MSACCESS.EXE" "[path_to]\mydb.mdb" /WRKGRP "[path_to]mydb.mdw"
>
> The only way I can change the workgroup is through the menu. That is NOT
> the solution I need as users ARE NOT going to do this each time they
> change to another database. The reason I need seperate workgroups is that
> the same staff members need different access rights in each db. For
> example, the clerical staff need to be able to enter/delete/update/etc.
> data in the Mail Log program but should NOT be able to do so in the other
> databases.
>
> Am I missing something here or is this feature broken in Access2003??
>

> Thanks.

0
Allen
3/14/2008 4:26:03 AM
cosmic debris wrote:
> Even though I have created a workgroup for each of my databases,
> trying to use the command-line /WRKGRP option does not seem to work.
> Whichever workgroup I use the "Join..." button for is not replaced
> when I call up another database using the following command structure:
> "[path_to]\MSACCESS.EXE" "[path_to]\mydb.mdb" /WRKGRP
> "[path_to]mydb.mdw"
> The only way I can change the workgroup is through the menu. That is
> NOT the solution I need as users ARE NOT going to do this each time
> they change to another database. The reason I need seperate
> workgroups is that the same staff members need different access
> rights in each db. For example, the clerical staff need to be able to
> enter/delete/update/etc. data in the Mail Log program but should NOT
> be able to do so in the other databases.
>
> Am I missing something here or is this feature broken in Access2003??

How are you determining that it is not working?  Many assume that the
workgroup mentioned in the menu is supposed to change, but that always shows
your default workgroup, not the one you are currently using.

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
3/14/2008 10:58:26 AM
Rick Brandt wrote:

> How are you determining that it is not working?  Many assume that the
> workgroup mentioned in the menu is supposed to change, but that always shows
> your default workgroup, not the one you are currently using.

One way I found out that the workgroup didn't change was that I
inadvertantly deleted members of the workgroup for the database which I
use 90% of the time.

To illustrate this better, we have a PSP2003 and MailLog2003. Each is in
a unique folder and has its own workgroup file (as staff have different
access right needs). Even though I used the command-line method to open
the MailLog (making sure that all of the paths are correct and as
Administrator I do have all rights).. Once I was logged into the MailLog
db, I added a user and set her access rights (she married and wanter her
'new' anme for the user name). While there, I deleted several staff who
did not use this database. Then, I exited the database.

I asked the 'new' user to log into the MailLog db and she could not. I
re-logged into the MailLog and used the Workgroup manager to "Join..."
the MailLog workgroup manually. Then, I checked and found that she did
nit have an account on that db. I then exited that db and entered the
PSP2003 db and found her new id was in the PSP2003 db's workgoup and the
users I thought I had deleted from the MailLog were no longer present in
the PSP2003 workgroup.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to manually verify that I have "Joined"
the proper workgroup when I need to make account changes. At work, we
are switching from Novell to Microsoft LAN software and may move up to
2007. So, maybe if these issues are not due to my misunderstanding or
incorrectly setting stuff, they will be resolved later on.

Thanks.
0
cosmic
3/15/2008 3:03:01 PM
You say each db has its own workgroup.
You are not using the same name for the MDW as for the MDB are you?

If you do, there's a peculiar problem that arises. Access tries to create an
LDB for the MDB, and also an LDB for the MDW. If both have the same name, it
can't succeed in doing that.

> Rick Brandt wrote:
>>
>> How are you determining that it is not working?  Many assume that the
>> workgroup mentioned in the menu is supposed to change, but that always
>> shows your default workgroup, not the one you are currently using.
>>
> One way I found out that the workgroup didn't change was that I
> inadvertantly deleted members of the workgroup for the database which I
> use 90% of the time.
>
> To illustrate this better, we have a PSP2003 and MailLog2003. Each is in a
> unique folder and has its own workgroup file (as staff have different
> access right needs). Even though I used the command-line method to open
> the MailLog (making sure that all of the paths are correct and as
> Administrator I do have all rights).. Once I was logged into the MailLog
> db, I added a user and set her access rights (she married and wanter her
> 'new' anme for the user name). While there, I deleted several staff who
> did not use this database. Then, I exited the database.
>
> I asked the 'new' user to log into the MailLog db and she could not. I
> re-logged into the MailLog and used the Workgroup manager to "Join..." the
> MailLog workgroup manually. Then, I checked and found that she did nit
> have an account on that db. I then exited that db and entered the PSP2003
> db and found her new id was in the PSP2003 db's workgoup and the users I
> thought I had deleted from the MailLog were no longer present in the
> PSP2003 workgroup.
>
> Oh well, I guess I'll just have to manually verify that I have "Joined"
> the proper workgroup when I need to make account changes. At work, we are
> switching from Novell to Microsoft LAN software and may move up to 2007.
> So, maybe if these issues are not due to my misunderstanding or
> incorrectly setting stuff, they will be resolved later on.
>
> Thanks.

0
Allen
3/16/2008 12:58:31 AM

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> You say each db has its own workgroup.
> You are not using the same name for the MDW as for the MDB are you?
>
> If you do, there's a peculiar problem that arises. Access tries to create an
> LDB for the MDB, and also an LDB for the MDW. If both have the same name, it
> can't succeed in doing that.
>
> --

Apparently, it must have been the fact that I tried using the same name for
the mdb & mdw! I added Users (MailLogUsers2003.mdw & PspdbUsers2003.mdw) and
now the account listings appear to be showing the correct workgroups!!

Thanks!

password for command button?
Is there a way to code a command button in its on click event that will prompt the user to enter a password to perform the command button's operation? Thank you. -Debbie On Jan 4, 11:34 am, Debbie S. <Debb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to code a command button in its on click event that will > prompt the user to enter a password to perform the command button's > operation? > > Thank you. > > -Debbie Yes, but you'll need to delve into VBA. Attach a click event to the button and in the code: Public Function Button1_Click() ...

Outlook 2003 News

open two different Access reports

Outlook 2003 #79

Help Required

Canadian Mergers 2003

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2

Filters in Excel 2003

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

shortcut with command line switch probs
Hello, I have a shortcut set up which has the target declared as: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" / "\\path_to_file\myfile.xlt" This works fine on my PC. Excel 2000 running on Windows XP. Unfortunately it doesnt work on someone elses PC, who asked for m help! They have the same software set up, and access to the same folde path. When they try to run the shortcut, a window opens and closes almos immediately. Help?! : -- soloto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- solotoo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/m...

Ctrl+D not working on outlook messages

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003

PDA-Outlook 2003

compact database in VBA access 2007