Access 2003 - Attaching Documents to a contact record

My question is in 2 parts and concerns a new business contacts database and
the questions are: -

Question 1

I want to be able to attach Word documenst (letters) and pdf's to each
contact  so I have a full archive history showing my activity against each
contact i.e. when I access each contact a would like to have a full archive
of all of the contact I have had with each contact and be able to see the
letters I've drafted and sent.

Question 2

I want to give this new contact list to my team and assign them each a
unique tag so I can tell who has last accessed the record.

Am not sure whether this is possible in Access 2003? If I could do this it
would be fantastic.

Hoping someone out their can help me.

--
David
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Use a Hyperlink field to store a link to the document rather than an OLE
Object to embed it. (The OLE Object will quickly bloat the database and
become unusable well before you get thousands of documents in the database.)

If you prefer, you can actually use a Text field to store the fully
qualified path to the document, and still use FollowHyperlink to open it.

Since one contact can have many documents, you need a related table to store
the documents for the contact.

For your second question, I'm not sure how you define "last accessed the
record." If you mean the user and date/time of the last time the hyperlink
to the document was used, you could add 2 more fields (a Date/Time for the
last accessed date, and a Text for the user name) to this table to record
this data, and write to the fields when accessed. It might be easiest to use
a Text field to do this, and add a command button beside the field to open
the document. This gives you more control over how the document is accessed,
and makes it easier to keep the 2 fields up to date.

If you use a Hyperlink field, you can insert the link with:
    RunCommand acCmdInsertHyperlink
If you use a Text field, use an API call to insert the link:
    http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm
Either way, use FollowHyperlink to open it later.

To get the user name:
    http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm
If you have secured the database, use CurrentUser()

In some versions of Access/Windows, you may get a security warning when
using FollowHyperlink to open the file. If this happens, try adding the
file:/// prefix.

> My question is in 2 parts and concerns a new business contacts database
> and
> the questions are: -
>
> Question 1
>
> I want to be able to attach Word documenst (letters) and pdf's to each
> contact  so I have a full archive history showing my activity against each
> contact i.e. when I access each contact a would like to have a full
> archive
> of all of the contact I have had with each contact and be able to see the
> letters I've drafted and sent.
>
> Question 2
>
> I want to give this new contact list to my team and assign them each a
> unique tag so I can tell who has last accessed the record.
>
> Am not sure whether this is possible in Access 2003? If I could do this it
> would be fantastic.
>
> Hoping someone out their can help me.
>

> --
> David

0
Allen
> My question is in 2 parts and concerns a new business contacts database
> and
> the questions are: -
>
> Question 1
>
> I want to be able to attach Word documenst (letters) and pdf's to each
> contact  so I have a full archive history showing my activity against each
> contact i.e. when I access each contact a would like to have a full
> archive
> of all of the contact I have had with each contact and be able to see the
> letters I've drafted and sent.
>
> Question 2
>
> I want to give this new contact list to my team and assign them each a
> unique tag so I can tell who has last accessed the record.
>
> Am not sure whether this is possible in Access 2003? If I could do this it
> would be fantastic.
>
> Hoping someone out their can help me.
>

> --
> David

0
Danny

> My question is in 2 parts and concerns a new business contacts database
> and
> the questions are: -
>
> Question 1
>
> I want to be able to attach Word documenst (letters) and pdf's to each
> contact  so I have a full archive history showing my activity against each
> contact i.e. when I access each contact a would like to have a full
> archive
> of all of the contact I have had with each contact and be able to see the
> letters I've drafted and sent.
>
> Question 2
>
> I want to give this new contact list to my team and assign them each a
> unique tag so I can tell who has last accessed the record.
>
> Am not sure whether this is possible in Access 2003? If I could do this it
> would be fantastic.
>
> Hoping someone out their can help me.
>

> --
> David

0
whws25

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

How to recover if a user "Undoes" a record?
When the AfterUpdate event of my Status field is triggered, I update several other tables with dependent data. What happens if someone hits ESC twice to Undo the record? Is there some way I can know that this happened? Then I could roll back any updates. Btw, the Form_AfterUpdate event doesn't seem applicable since one of the things I do is set a DateCompleted field on the form itself. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. You could trap the keystrokes, but it might be a better idea to use the AfterUpdate event of the form itself to update the other tables. That event only ...

Locked records
I am having a bit of an annoying problem with my Access application. The data is held on a SQL 2000 server with Access front-end. I have a form (Form A) used for editing records, this form is launched from a command button on another form (Form B) and filters to a sepcific records on Form A dependant on the record in Form B. Nothing special here I use this technique all over this application. Form A opens up and displays the record I want but when ever I make a change and try to exit the form or save the record I get the following message: "The record has been changed by another user...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Excel not Access

Before Update on record select

Outlook 2003

Message comes as an attachment

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

Compare records in a query then write equation??
Hi all, i have a problem and i need help, the case is as follows: the default rule is that i have 4 fields, (Date, Team, Score). each team is allowed to have one score per day but sometimes it can have 2 scores per day, when this is the case i wanna multiply each score by a certain number and have one score instead of 2 scores (similar to average but not average). So, i need to have a condition which compares records, and if this is the case, formulates this equation and gives me one score instead of 2 scores. Please help SELECT Team, [Date], Sum(Score)/Count(Score) * IIF(Count(Score) =1,1,S...

Find prev record on other requeried form
Using access 2003. I have a main form for name and address info. A subform shows limited info on client placement. Click a command button on the main form and user opens another form for full screen entry of placement data. That form opens showing the client selected on the initial main form. When the full screen placement form closes, it requeries the original main form with the placement subform to show the added placement. It goes to the first record in the table though. It does not show the original client whose placement was just added. How do I set the mai...

Addressing within Exchange 2003

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

Tabs and record scrolling
Hi - I have a combo box that automatically sets the focus of one of 3 tab pages based on the value selected in the combo box. I'd like to be able to do the same thing when scrolling through records. Any help is appreciated!! Steve Hi Steve, Put the same code in the on current event of the form, remembering to check if the combo is null of course!! That way as you change records, it will trigger the event and set the focus as necessary. Damian. "sboegeman" wrote: > Hi - > > I have a combo box that automatically sets the focus of one of 3 tab pages > bas...

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Moving Contacts to Outlook Address Book