Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard problem!

I have created an Access 2000 application that I now wish to distribute to
users as an MDE file. The Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard does a
fine job of  storing the relevant installation files on a CD, exploiting A2K
Runtime.

However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a website.
The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment option
that appears to address this need. My only problem is that it doesn't work
for me. I get the following error message,

Unexpected error number 48 has occurred: File not found: WebPost.dll

Initially, I got a different error that alerted me to the need for
WebPost.dll and suggested that I reinstall Visual Basic. Since I don't even
possess Visual Basic as a standalone application (I only have VBA via
Access), this was rather unhelpful. However, I found an online source of this
dll and placed it in my Windows/System32 folder. The error message changed to
that shown above but did not solve my problem.

Any suggestions about where I should go from here? I'm running Windows XP Pro.

David
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

No expert or guru here, but thr first thing that comes to my mind is: have
you registered the dll to your system? and checked where the PDW is looking
for this file?

Alp

"David Anderson" <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have created an Access 2000 application that I now wish to distribute to
> users as an MDE file. The Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard does a
> fine job of  storing the relevant installation files on a CD, exploiting
> A2K
> Runtime.
>
> However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a
> website.
> The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment
> option
> that appears to address this need. My only problem is that it doesn't work
> for me. I get the following error message,
>
> Unexpected error number 48 has occurred: File not found: WebPost.dll
>
> Initially, I got a different error that alerted me to the need for
> WebPost.dll and suggested that I reinstall Visual Basic. Since I don't
> even
> possess Visual Basic as a standalone application (I only have VBA via
> Access), this was rather unhelpful. However, I found an online source of
> this
> dll and placed it in my Windows/System32 folder. The error message changed
> that shown above but did not solve my problem.
>
> Any suggestions about where I should go from here? I'm running Windows XP
> Pro.
>
> David

0
Alp
9/8/2007 9:25:20 PM
Hi Alp,
I followed the instructions to register the dll, but regsvr32 just gave me
the message "webpost.dll is not an executable file and no registration helper
is registered for this file type."

I've no idea what dll 'registration' means and so this message was not very
helpful for me. Can you offer any clarification?

David

"Alp Bekisoglu" wrote:

> No expert or guru here, but thr first thing that comes to my mind is: have
> you registered the dll to your system? and checked where the PDW is looking
> for this file?
>
> Alp
>
> "David Anderson" <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have created an Access 2000 application that I now wish to distribute to
> > users as an MDE file. The Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard does a
> > fine job of  storing the relevant installation files on a CD, exploiting
> > A2K
> > Runtime.
> >
> > However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a
> > website.
> > The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment
> > option
> > that appears to address this need. My only problem is that it doesn't work
> > for me. I get the following error message,
> >
> > Unexpected error number 48 has occurred: File not found: WebPost.dll
> >
> > Initially, I got a different error that alerted me to the need for
> > WebPost.dll and suggested that I reinstall Visual Basic. Since I don't
> > even
> > possess Visual Basic as a standalone application (I only have VBA via
> > Access), this was rather unhelpful. However, I found an online source of
> > this
> > dll and placed it in my Windows/System32 folder. The error message changed
> > that shown above but did not solve my problem.
> >
> > Any suggestions about where I should go from here? I'm running Windows XP
> > Pro.
> >
> > David

Hi David,

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Unfortunately, as I had indicated before,
I'm no guru here so can't say much more. I'll let you know if I come across
anything else.

> Hi Alp,
> I followed the instructions to register the dll, but regsvr32 just gave me
> the message "webpost.dll is not an executable file and no registration
> helper
> is registered for this file type."
>
> I've no idea what dll 'registration' means and so this message was not
> very
> helpful for me. Can you offer any clarification?
>
> David
>

> "Alp Bekisoglu" wrote:
>
>> No expert or guru here, but thr first thing that comes to my mind is:
>> have
>> you registered the dll to your system? and checked where the PDW is
>> looking
>> for this file?
>>
>> Alp
>>
>> "David Anderson" <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I have created an Access 2000 application that I now wish to distribute
>> > users as an MDE file. The Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard
>> > does a
>> > fine job of  storing the relevant installation files on a CD,
>> > exploiting
>> > A2K
>> > Runtime.
>> >
>> > However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a
>> > website.
>> > The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment
>> > option
>> > that appears to address this need. My only problem is that it doesn't
>> > work
>> > for me. I get the following error message,
>> >
>> > Unexpected error number 48 has occurred: File not found: WebPost.dll
>> >
>> > Initially, I got a different error that alerted me to the need for
>> > WebPost.dll and suggested that I reinstall Visual Basic. Since I don't
>> > even
>> > possess Visual Basic as a standalone application (I only have VBA via
>> > Access), this was rather unhelpful. However, I found an online source
>> > of
>> > this
>> > dll and placed it in my Windows/System32 folder. The error message
>> > changed
>> > that shown above but did not solve my problem.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions about where I should go from here? I'm running Windows
>> > XP
>> > Pro.
>> >
>> > David

0
Alp
9/9/2007 12:33:48 AM
David Anderson <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a website.
>The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment option
>that appears to address this need.

Now I've never noticed that option but is there any help on that?  I
wonder if it is for a completely different option than you think it
is.  For example some kind of Office Web Class (OWC) stuff that Access
had back then.

I suspect you'd be much better off locating a self extracting
executable packager so that users can download one file from your
website which in turn would then expend the package into a temp folder
and then install it.   PKWare have such a utility as a companion to
PKZip.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Browsing PKWare's website is a frustrating experience. It's easy to go in
circles in a fruitless search for what exactly they sell, where you can buy
it and how much it will cost. The bottom line appears to be that they don't
want to sell to end users (at least not outside the USA). To find out any
details you have to send an email! I suspect they are only interested in
corporate sales. In contrast, I was up and running with evaluation versions
of the WinZip products within a few minutes.

David

"Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:

> David Anderson <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a website.
> >The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment option
> >that appears to address this need.
>
> Now I've never noticed that option but is there any help on that?  I
> wonder if it is for a completely different option than you think it
> is.  For example some kind of Office Web Class (OWC) stuff that Access
> had back then.
>
> I suspect you'd be much better off locating a self extracting
> executable packager so that users can download one file from your
> website which in turn would then expend the package into a temp folder
> and then install it.   PKWare have such a utility as a companion to
> PKZip.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

My guess is that you could:
a) use PDW to create the package,
b) then locate the package in your website.
c) provide the link to this package to your users in an email.

Users can then click the link and start the installation.

HTH
Bubbles

On Sep 9, 5:04 am, David Anderson
<DavidAnder...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have created an Access 2000 application that I now wish to distribute to
> users as an MDE file. The Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard does a
> fine job of  storing the relevant installation files on a CD, exploiting A2K
> Runtime.
>
> However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a website.
> The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment option
> that appears to address this need. My only problem is that it doesn't work
> for me. I get the following error message,
>
> Unexpected error number 48 has occurred: File not found: WebPost.dll
>
> Initially, I got a different error that alerted me to the need for
> WebPost.dll and suggested that I reinstall Visual Basic. Since I don't even
> possess Visual Basic as a standalone application (I only have VBA via
> Access), this was rather unhelpful. However, I found an online source of this
> dll and placed it in my Windows/System32 folder. The error message changed to
> that shown above but did not solve my problem.
>
> Any suggestions about where I should go from here? I'm running Windows XP Pro.
>
> David

0
bubbles
9/9/2007 8:21:24 PM
David Anderson <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Browsing PKWare's website is a frustrating experience. It's easy to go in
>circles in a fruitless search for what exactly they sell, where you can buy
>it and how much it will cost. The bottom line appears to be that they don't
>want to sell to end users (at least not outside the USA). To find out any
>details you have to send an email! I suspect they are only interested in
>corporate sales. In contrast, I was up and running with evaluation versions
>of the WinZip products within a few minutes.

Yowzer.  I had no idea.  I purchased PK Zip and the SEA product about
5 or 7 years ago.  I'm sure the web site was much simpler back then.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony

[Access 2007] How to edit custom menubar created in Access2003?
Hello, This is my first post to this server, Hello everyone. We're working on a database created by my collegue in MS Access 2003. Since some time we've moved to MS Access 2007. Now we find problems editing the menubar. Each time we want to remove/add/alter a menu item my collegue goes to his MS Access 2003 and changes a menu. In 2007 the full menubar is visible under Add-Ins ribbon menu. Normally there should be a system table USysRibbon, but it is not there. There are only MSys* objects. How can we change the menubar directly in MS Access 2007? Is that possible at al...

Can't move things to deleted items: The item could not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted, or access was denied
This is weird. It looks like I have one user with a damaged 'deleted items' bin. Everyone else is fine. This user had opened up an accout of someone who left the company a while back and apparently tried to delete a few thousand spam messages that they had. Their system eitehr locked up, or they got sick of waiting and did something to stop it, when they did we could no longer mount the information store. I ran several things including an eseutil /p on the database, and then removed the log files and ran the ISINTEG -s server01 -test alltests -fix, which found 2 or three problems and f...

How to link with an Access DB
Hi, I have an Acces DB with many tables. I need to choose the name of a customer in a cell of Excel. For example, in acces I have this tables: Table1 Id Name Last Name City I need to choose the last name from a drop down menu in a spreadsheet and then in other cell I need to put all the data regarding the last name that I choose. I hope to be exaustive, and sorry for my english. :-) Many Thanks Stefano ...

Access 97 can't resize database window

Problem with CFTPConnection

Outlook 2000 not opening.

users with restricted access

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

Using later version of microsoft access

GP GL recurring entry problem!
hi, I have created the prepayment batch which will recur 11 times monthly in general ledger, this expenditure occurred starting from Aug, been posted on Nov..however, after posting it, there is just Aug expenditure bumped up while same journal no. showed two entries, which are duplicated and one of that is showing the audit trial code, the other one remains original journal no. and batch no.; also, the other prepayment batch i created recurring 3 months, it did show the aug and sep expenditures, however the oct expenditure can't be showed up after post. Linking with this two ...

Problems migrating users from E2K to E2K03
Having problems when I try to move a mailbox over to Exchange 2003 server from a Exchange 2000 SP3 everything seems to go fine other than the fact that now when sending e-mail I receive "The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address." I have no problems when I create a mailbox for a user on the E2k03 box, but when it comes up to moving a maibox it does not seem to go as smooth. Stumped Al Hi Al, It sounds like some of the attributes for the user...

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

no access to send internet email

OL2002 Problem : HELP, SOS, MAYDAY

request to solve my problem #5

Using rules wizard to send to a list of emails addys in BCC
i need to setup an automatic mailing of a newsletter that i receive, to be forwarded to a list of emails addresses, where the emails are inserted into the BCC line, and not the TO line. I do not want my clients to see each other's emails. thanks! No, natively you can't. Even when you use a template to reply with and fill in the BCC field it won't work. It is even worse this way; the rule gets deactivated completely. But programmatically it is possible although not supported by Microsoft. For more info; http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/autobcc.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [M...

Is Outlook 2000 compatiple with Windows XP Home?
It seems to be having problems if it is... something like Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? Hi, I have Outlook 2000 installed on my XP Home machine and it works fine. >-----Original Message----- >It seems to be having problems if it is... something like >Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand >the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? >. > Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > It seems to be having problems if it is... something...