Acces import data to Query

I am having a little problem understanding a concept.

Obviously data needs to be inputted or imported into tables for the
database to contain relevant records.

What process am I looking at if I want to import data to create a
query->calculation->report style process. What do I mean, say I had a
database that had basketball team records and I had imported the
results of the teams and the individual players latest games.

When Team A versus Team B the coaches announce their teams to play. If
there was only 1 game I could create a form for user to submit the
teams but when multiple events/games occur this is impractical.

If I can import the teams from the internet no manual data entry is
required, however there is no real need to store the values just
perform the function of retrieving data to a query and/or warning if
no record exists.

I know its probably a simple problem but I don't know what this
process is called and I can only find examples of normally importing
data into tables to store. I want to import data to no tables and
trigger a query or similar.
0
flebber
5/3/2010 2:24:44 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Queries get their data from tables, so you have no choice but to import to
the table if you want the data to show up in a query.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

"flebber" <flebber.crue@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having a little problem understanding a concept.
>
> Obviously data needs to be inputted or imported into tables for the
> database to contain relevant records.
>
> What process am I looking at if I want to import data to create a
> query->calculation->report style process. What do I mean, say I had a
> database that had basketball team records and I had imported the
> results of the teams and the individual players latest games.
>
> When Team A versus Team B the coaches announce their teams to play. If
> there was only 1 game I could create a form for user to submit the
> teams but when multiple events/games occur this is impractical.
>
> If I can import the teams from the internet no manual data entry is
> required, however there is no real need to store the values just
> perform the function of retrieving data to a query and/or warning if
> no record exists.
>
> I know its probably a simple problem but I don't know what this
> process is called and I can only find examples of normally importing
> data into tables to store. I want to import data to no tables and
> trigger a query or similar.

0
Douglas
5/3/2010 2:51:12 PM
On May 4, 12:51=A0am, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote:
> Queries get their data from tables, so you have no choice but to import t=
> the table if you want the data to show up in a query.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "flebber" <flebber.c...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I am having a little problem understanding a concept.
>
> > Obviously data needs to be inputted or imported into tables for the
> > database to contain relevant records.
>
> > What process am I looking at if I want to import data to create a
> > query->calculation->report style process. What do I mean, say I had a
> > database that had basketball team records and I had imported the
> > results of the teams and the individual players latest games.
>
> > When Team A versus Team B the coaches announce their teams to play. If
> > there was only 1 game I could create a form for user to submit the
> > teams but when multiple events/games occur this is impractical.
>
> > If I can import the teams from the internet no manual data entry is
> > required, however there is no real need to store the values just
> > perform the function of retrieving data to a query and/or warning if
> > no record exists.
>
> > I know its probably a simple problem but I don't know what this
> > process is called and I can only find examples of normally importing
> > data into tables to store. I want to import data to no tables and
> > trigger a query or similar.

So whats the best method of acheiving the result I want?
0
flebber
5/3/2010 3:28:40 PM
You said you were able to find examples of normally importing data into
tables. That's what you have to do.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele
(no e-mails, please!)

"flebber" <flebber.crue@gmail.com> wrote in message
On May 4, 12:51 am, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote:
> Queries get their data from tables, so you have no choice but to import to
> the table if you want the data to show up in a query.
>
> "flebber" <flebber.c...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I am having a little problem understanding a concept.
>
> > Obviously data needs to be inputted or imported into tables for the
> > database to contain relevant records.
>
> > What process am I looking at if I want to import data to create a
> > query->calculation->report style process. What do I mean, say I had a
> > database that had basketball team records and I had imported the
> > results of the teams and the individual players latest games.
>
> > When Team A versus Team B the coaches announce their teams to play. If
> > there was only 1 game I could create a form for user to submit the
> > teams but when multiple events/games occur this is impractical.
>
> > If I can import the teams from the internet no manual data entry is
> > required, however there is no real need to store the values just
> > perform the function of retrieving data to a query and/or warning if
> > no record exists.
>
> > I know its probably a simple problem but I don't know what this
> > process is called and I can only find examples of normally importing
> > data into tables to store. I want to import data to no tables and
> > trigger a query or similar.

So whats the best method of acheiving the result I want?

0
Douglas

error in importing data
Sorry the error is 0x8004032d ...

If you do not like scripting, you can try GAL Exporter or Fast User Manager & Reports from IMIBO - http://www.imibo.com > > "Ringholz, Blake" <bringholz@nospam.com> wrote in message > news:76AEFC2F-85A7-4666-8262-27FB0737D09A@microsoft.com... >> Hello All - >> >> I need to get an Excel Spreadsheet that lists everyone first name, last >> name, email address, job title, etc pulled from Active Directory. Is >> there an easy way to do this? >> >> Thanks, >> Blake > > > > > ...

Doing Analysis from large amounts of DATA
Hi all, I have an attachment that's apart of this message & within it I have 3 tabs 1) Revenue 2) Expenses & 3) Net Position. I would like to do some Analysis on the above three thou a way where I can manipulate the Data. How would I go about doing this? I've tried a Pivot Table thou it didn�t work out in the sense that it was messy & just failed in calculating stuff, not sure if I did it right thou.. Would really appreciate all the help as I actually have about 20 of these sheets which from that fall into 4 groups being 5 sheets per group. I hope this all makes sense, wo...

lost data when opening excel workbooks ; text import wizard popup
When opening many of my excel files ,which all have the same modification date, I come across the text import wizard which states that my text in these files is 'delimited'. All of the files ,including a few word doc.s have had their data changed to show all " y " with two dots above the letter for as far as the eye can see. No import or export has been done with the files and no modifications were done on that date, as far as I know. Is this a corruption problem or is their some 'fix' that I am overlooking. Thanks for any ideas. ...

This query not giving correct results
I am trying to find the date when we had the most rainfall out of 3234 records, so with the first query to get the maximum rainfall in a month I get 110 records with one null and one '0' value. So this query is saying that out of 3234 records there has only been 108 days when we had rain. We probaly had more than that in one year never mind in 10 years. This cannot be right because we had 24 days of rain in November 2009 but the query only shows 16 for that month!. So how does it actually work? SQL for this below: SELECT Max(tblWXDataLeeds.ReadingDate) AS MaxOfReadin...

Convert Column to row with variable data
Hi I'm using Excel 2k and I have a spreadsheet that looks like this Name Address Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 and need it to look like this Name Address 1 Address2 Address3 Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 I have a macro that can convert from column to row but only for a set number of columns. Is there any way to account for the variable amount of data for each address ? Any help much appreciated Thanks David David: I suggest the following formulae - copied down as necessary: C2: =IF(...

Importing data into Outlook #2
Is there a process or program with which I can transfer my ACT! data into Outlook contacts? Thanks! ...

Not able to open imported accounts 4.0
We have a situation where we've updated a client from 3.0 to CRM 4.0 and have an import that brings in new Accounts. Unfortunately, we can open accounts that don't have a parent account but can't open the parent account itself. In essence, we have two accounts with another one the parent - we can open ones that show the parent, but again, we get an error - see yor administrator. Is there a rights issue or relational setup we're missing. ...

How do I show a data table with legend keys in a line chart?
I am having trouble inserting a data table with legend keys into a line chart that contains a horizontal target line. Can anyone help me? Hi, I tried it in both 2007 and 2003 and had no problems. We need more infomation, can you post a sample of the chart somewhere. The only issue I have is that the target line is displayed on the data table, which I would prefer that it not be. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "excelbanker" wrote: > I am having trouble inserting a data table with legend keys into a line chart > that contains a horizontal target line. Can anyone he...

Query Problem in Test.
I keep getting errors on the WHERE part of my query. I'm sure it's something simple. I don't know if you will need the whole code to see what the problem is. It is lengthy, so I will start with just where the problem is. Set rs = DBEngine(0)(0).OpenRecordset("SELECT T2.Distance, T1.* FROM (Church AS T1 INNER JOIN qryChurchZip1 ON T1.ChurchID = qryChurchZip1.ChurchID) INNER JOIN DistanceQuery AS T2 ON qryChurchZip1.Zip5 = T2.ZIPCode WHERE " & strWhere) ' See if found none If rs.RecordCount = 0 Then MsgBox "No Churches meet your crite...

Output the list of frequent data
Dear all, Here comes two problems. Problem 1: I have a list of strings (say, in the column A1:A100). How can I find the "mode" (i.e. the string appearing most frequently in the list? For example, if the list is APPLE APPLE BANANA APPLE CREAM CREAM BANANA CREAM APPLE DONUT then I want the result is APPLE. It seems that the MODE function does not suppot data type other than numbers. Is there any canned UDF for it? Problem 2: Following Problem 1, I want to generate a list of the 3 most frequent data in the list. If the list is the one in the example, I want to list to be...

Data Validation #47
kshave multiple identacle sheets in a workbook(31 sheets). I am trying to allow users to only enter whole numbers in some of these cells. I know I can do it through Data /Validation/Allow - but, I want to do it on all 31 sheets at once. When I select all sheets - Validation is greyed out. Should I be using a different method? Thanks, Tom Apply the data validation on Sheet1 Copy the cell(s) in which you applied data validation Select Sheet2 Scroll to see sheet31 Hold the Shift key, and click on Sheet31 tab Select the cell where you want to paste the data validation Choose Edit>Paste Cl...

Modifing data to show up better in chart.
My Y1 axis is from 0-250 my Y2 axis is from 0-9000 When graphing percentages the line shows up at the very bottom since 99% < 1 is there a way I can multiply these percentages by 100 to show them as 9900% = 99 Normally you would just make then a 2nd axis but as you can see I already have a second axis of 0-9000 In article <A9E6F75B-7307-4291-BC7D-729F9DF88D50@microsoft.com>, MikePunko@discussions.microsoft.com says... > My Y1 axis is from 0-250 my Y2 axis is from 0-9000 > When graphing percentages the line shows up at the very bottom since 99% < 1 > is there a way I...

Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection & Publishing won't load
I am trying to utilize the Collect Data via e-mail function and keep receiving the following error: "The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disabled in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007. To collect data by using e-mail messages in Microsoft Access 2007, verify that this add-in is installed and enabled from within Office Outlook 2007." I have tried to remediate via the Trust Center/Add-in area in Outlook and don't see an add-in for Access (even though the error message says it is "disabled" it is nowhere to be found). I have tried to add it (I believe it is...

Merge data from Acces to word
I have an Access db with records on a form which I want to export to a Word Template with predifened fields. How can I do that? reidarT Take a look at Albert D. Kallal's Super Easy Word Merge at http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault "ReidarT" wrote: > I have an Access db with records on a form which I want to > export to a Word Template with predifened fields. > How can I do that? > reidarT ...

How do i highlight the current row for data input
How do i highlight the current row for data input. Mike, Can you provide a little more detail about what you want to do? Your question isn't very clear. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "mike" <msclafani@massbay.edu> wrote in message news:04fe01c36129$81bfa600$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do i highlight the current row for data input. Mike, If by highlight, you mean change the color of the current row as the user moves about, or something like that, it can be done via a ma...

Query is making a nuts
Hi Using Access 2007 I have a table and two of the fields (Status and OrigStatus) have, among other possible entries, the words "Member," "Customer" or "Request." I am trying to create a query that only displays records which do NOT have "Member," "Customer" or "Request" in either field. But it won't work! I have tried putting each word in its own Criteria column in each field using syntax such as: <>"Member" with no success. I have also tried <>"Member" OR "Customer" OR "...

How do I create a chart in Excel using data from two worksheets
I am trying to create a chart using data from two separate worksheets but it will only allow me to use the information from one. Here is one way: I made a chart from data in A10:B20 on sheet1 (A was the x-category data) I copied some cells from Sheet2, right clicked in chart area of chart and used Paste After the copy, I could have left clicked the chart and used Edit | Paste Special to specify more about the data I want to paste. Try it and come back with more questions. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "cdptuesdays" <...

Highly configurable (or additional) data types should be available
Because CRM solutions need to be extremely flexible to meet the needs of each unique deployment, I think that the CRM team should consider adding more configuration options for existing data types, or add more data types. For example, I would like to be able to configure an Integer field that uses thousands separators, and one that does not. This type of scenario can arise when different business units within one deployment have different needs for their types of data that are associated with common entities. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft respon...

CMap query
Hi, I have a text file and i read the complete file and build a FILELIST - Files & GROUPLIST - groups like odbc,,jet40, jet35 The Group list in the file consists of values like version | odbc | 430 version | Jet40 | 430 version | Jet35 | 430 version | oledb | 430 version | odbc | 440 version | Jet40 | 440 version | Jet35 | 440 version | oledb | 440 The File List consists of values like FILE | odbc | <COMPLETE path of odbc file like odbc32.dll> FILE | odbc | <COMPLETE path of odbc file like odbcji32.dll> FILE | oledb | <COMPLETE path of oledb dll1> FILE | ole...

investment importing & "recover account"
Hello. I'm using 2006 and am unable to directly connect to Principal Financial Group to directly download my account transactions. I've been downloading my transactions in a .qif file and am trying to use the recommended "recover account" approach to import the investment transactions. When Money opens the file, however, my Principal account, which is in my money file with transactions, is not listed. The only account listed as available to import the transactions is one other investment account that is a single stock - held by itself. Why would my account not be list...

With TierDeveloper you can Design, Generate and Test Data Objects in no time
AlachiSoft �TierDeveloper� eradicates the problem of writing thousands of lines of code for your middle tier. Many software solutions on the market can do it for you but according to our research there are few solutions in market, which can really be of any benefit to the software developer, And TierDeveloper is one of them. TierDeveloper 3.0. is an O/R mapping and code generation tool that helps software developers boost their development efforts and generate n-tier applications in less time. With its easy to use and flexible interface, TierDeveloper lets you map middle-tier data ob...

Importing Data That Contains super- and sub-script characters
In wanting to build a "glossary" type of database I realize the problem of entering phrases that contain subscript and/or superscript characters. Yuck! How is this handled by the pro's? Thanks, -- tbl Hi tbl, RTF - rich text format - is a way of encoding formatting text in a string. You'll need to use rich text controls on your forms, and probably store the rich text in memo field. There are many rich text controls around, not all of which work reliably on Access forms. Those that do include Stephen Lebans's (free download from http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm) a...

Pivot Table Customize functions in the Data Field
Hi all, I want to find out if it is possible to create custom formulas in the data field of a pivot table. I need to to show: Fleets of vehicles. How many of a particular fleet a particular company has on hand. A percentage of how much of that companies fleet is not operational. If no maintinane is completed between Now() and the end of the reporting period, What the % of maintenance failure we will have for a fleet. I think the best way to accomplish this is a pivot table but the built in functions are not going to handle the calculations I need. -- Thanks, Patrick PS, Don't ...