work order form and report design help

I am building an automotive shop database.  I have a table that lists all of
the services and the prices.  I have the main form created where all of the
customer data is entered in and I have another form that builds the work
order for the customer.  How do I build the form to allow for different
services for the same customer without having to create service type 1,
service type 2, etc.  I need them to be independent of each other and I then
need to create a report to print out for the customer.

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:24:01 -0700, Jimmy <Jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am building an automotive shop database.  I have a table that lists all of
>the services and the prices.  I have the main form created where all of the
>customer data is entered in and I have another form that builds the work
>order for the customer.  How do I build the form to allow for different
>services for the same customer without having to create service type 1,
>service type 2, etc.  I need them to be independent of each other and I then
>need to create a report to print out for the customer.

STOP.

You're jumping to the form *too early*. You need to get your table design
right first, before you start working on Forms; and to do so you need to
understand the relational paradigm.

This case is very much like the Northwind sample database that comes with
Access. One Customer can have many Jobs (surely you want return business) - so
you need a table of Customers related one-to-many to a table of Jobs (with a
CustomerID, a date, and so on). Each Job can involve many Services (oil
change, rotate tires, replace leaky vacuum hose...); each Service may occur in
many different Jobs (you'll change the oil for lots of customers). So you need
a third table, JobDetails, with a link to the Jobs table and to the Services
table.

Take a look at some of these resources, particularly the tutorials toward the
end:

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal:
http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Outlook 2003 AutoArchive not working properly
Ever since I upgraded to OL2003 from OLXP, AutoArchive for all folders seems to be seriously broken, in that most folders seem to be completely unprocessed when it runs. If I run autoarchive on a *selected* folder, it does process many messages, but it still leaves a fair number of 'old' msgs unmoved. Also when AA for all folders runs, the status bar shows it 'processing' the folders far too quickly for it to be actually working properly. I've upgraded my PST files to be Unicode and followed all the advice in http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/archivenotworking.htm but it s...

"There were errors dropping ... on the designer.The XML Schema could not be interpreted from ths object."
I'm getting this error when trying to drag a table from the Server Explorer to the XSD designer. I only get the problem at home--not at work. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks, Chris ...

Need Help with Pub 2007
I have printed a bunch of books from Pub 2007 .... it is set up by Pub and is a folded 8.5 X 11 page that makes the book 5.5 X 8.5 when folded. When you print this you get page 1 on the right side of the sheet and page 64 on the left side .... when you flip over the page you get page 2 on the left side and page 63 on the right. It's all good .... it all works out fine for the folded book. Here is the problem I'm trying to solve. Ocassionally I need to replace a sheet that did not print as expected. How can I command Pub 2007 to print out a specific page on both sides from a ...

Form property as query criteria
Hi. I am working on an Access 2000 db in Access 2003 (using 2000 format). In my original 2000 database, I would create properties in VBA (using Property Let and Property Get statements) for my forms and use them as criteria in queries. For example, if I had a report that should show data for a specific date range, then I would create properties of a form (call it "frmReport"), and name those properties ReportStartDate and ReportEndDate. Then, in the design of the query that the report is based on, under the criteria for a date field, I would add ">= [Forms]![frmReport].[R...

Using Access Reports in other EXE file
Hello I'd like to use access reports from any access version XP, 2000 or 97; because of the easy way to build such reports. Have you ever found or built any solutions permitting to reuse such access reports objects in other exe files, developped in Visual Basic, Visual Studio or even Delphi.... Thanks a lot for your suggestions Hi. Most programming languages support launching an executable, so the Snapshot Viewer executable would be a good choice for viewing reports exported from Access as Snapshot (*.SNP) files. Access would not need to be installed on the computer in order to view ...

creating forms in outlook
how can i create a voting form in outlook 2002 We need a little more information then that in order to help. If you just want to create an email with the form fill options, open up a new message and go to view, toolbars, forms. Then click in the body of the message and create your form that way. You could also create it in word and send as an attachement. Either way make sure you lock the form before you send the email out that way the people receiving the message will not be able to edit the form you create. >-----Original Message----- >how can i create a voting form in...

Commission Report #2
I must be missing something but is there any way to generate a list of commissioned items. Not sales of commissioned items just a list of the items that offer a commission. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0591_01C71312.99942370 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0592_01C71312.99942370" ------=_NextPart_001_0592_01C71312.99942370 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Tom, Try this one attached. --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=...

monthly/weekly reports
This is probably really easy to do but I can't seem to figure it out. I have a report that displays records from a table. Each record has a corresponding date. Right now, the report shows every record in the table, going back more than a year. How can I make it so the report just shows the records from the previous week or month or whatever dates I choose. And then how do I use this same report over and over for each month or week? Basically I just want to hide certain records on the report (ones that were created before a specific date). Thanks You can base the 'record s...

How can I use conditional formating between two sheets in one work
If employee number 5263 found in sheet 2, show the raw in main data on sheet 1 in red, for instance. ok this is how i did it use a helper column and a vlookup formula back at sheet 2 =IF(VLOOKUP($G$11,Sheet2!$A$2:$A$8,1,FALSE)=A8,"found","") so if employees name is found on sheet 2 this formula returns found on the same row as the emplyees name conditional formatting for this row is =c8="found" i had to change the formatting formula for each row,hopefully there is an easy way! -- paul paul.shepherd@nospamparadise.net.nz remove nospam for email addy! "...

remain on record that I was editing in a form after requery
I have created a form for user input (comprised of text boxes and list boxes) and a subform that shows the results of some calculations that are performed on the user input. If I make a change to the user input and requery to see the updated results in the subform, Access jumps to record #1, no matter which record I was editing. I then have to manually go back to the record I was editing (and first I have to remember which one that was out of hundreds) to see the results and make additional edits. Is there any way to automate the process so that Access automatically goes bac...

Resolver not working when transforming
I'd like to see if someone found a natural explanation to this. I have this method for transforming docs: /** * Transforms an XmlDocument object with an XSL file, and returns * another XmlDocument object. If something bad happens, null is * returned instead. */ private XmlDocument Transform (string xml, string xsl) { try { XmlDocument xmlDocIn = new XmlDocument(); xmlDocIn.Load(xml); XslTransform transformer = new XslTransform(); transformer.Load(xsl); XmlDocument xmlDocOut = new XmlDocument(); xmlDocOut.Load(transfo...

Purchase order modification
hello, Is it possible to print on an Open Purchase Order to show the present On hand quantity together with the selling price and then the total available quantity on the received PO (after the PO is received). >thanks Yes you will need to add the following variables to the PO Entries section of the PO.xml file. You will probably have to replace some of the columns or shrink and add an extra column or two to make them fit. PurchaseOrder.Entry.QuantityOnHand PurchaseOrder.Entry.ItemPrice For your last part or your question would have to modify the PORcv.xml file and add t...

Report website problems here
I reported the problem last week of the email not working properly. I was asked to send mycomments to the website below using the case number SRX1110134208ID. I recommend alld user to respond to this case number with their comments. I think it is silly that Microsfot doesn't maintain their own website properly and it take almost 2 weeks to fix problems that effect thousand of customers. https://support.microsoft.com/contactus/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1389&WS=managermail Were you having email problems with Publisher? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Joel"...

GP 10.0 Security - Purchase Order Entry Window
I'm frustrated and looking for help. The problem is that users are being given the error message "You don't have security privileges to open this window. Contact your system administrator for assistance." when opening the Purchase Order Entry window. When users click OK on this message, the Purchase Order Entry window opens. One of the users does not see this message (it appears on other machines while using that user's login) on his office system. So, it appears as though he can't open the window. As a temporary fix I've assigned him to the POWERU...

Reports in column format
My report page set-up is for 3 columns with zero spacing between columns. There is a box around the set of controls. I have the palette narrowed to the absolute minimum width so that there is no working space to the right of my controls. The result is a calendar-like presentation. The problem arises when I want to center text in the headers and footers. If I simply place my header text in the header section, it will appear more or less towards the left side of the page. In order to get it centered, I have to widen the palette and then center the text manually. If I do this, then...

Generating a report list and statistic worksheet in Excel from other workbooks
Hello- I am trying to put together a reporting function, and I have little experience working with Excel programming. I have multiple workbooks set aside for different users, who update the information in list format on a daily basis. These are project lists, so they require daily text and numerical input, and the length of the lists vary as the projects close or open. I am trying to make a master workbook that brings all of these lists together onto a single list. On this master workbook is a worksheet that needs to update and add a row of statistical data on a daily basis. Additionally...

Newbie : "Autocomplete" not working in one dialog- ? Visual C++6
Hi All I know the term "Autocomplete" is not the correct terminology but I think it explains the problem. I have a Dialog based project with multiple Dialogs. When I am entering say "DateStruct.Day" , when I press the . (dot) the "Day" field appears as it should after DateStruct. If I hover the mouse over a class name the tool tip tells me it is a class ,over a variable it tells me it's data type etc... In ONE Dialog in my application this is not the case even though it was created the same way as the rest of them . It is causing problems & I dontkn...

Change the order in which Internet email accounts are checked
Hi all, The closest thing I can find in the help file says: In the Address Book, click the Tools menu, and then click Accounts. Click the Directory Service tab. Click Set Order. Click a directory service, and then click Move Up or Move Down. Seems simple enough, except that I want to change the order in which MAIL accounts are checked (I don't even know what these "directory services" are) and the "Set Order" button always seems to be grayed out when I click the "Mail" tab. Any suggestions? Outlook 2000, on Win98. Thanks, John Nasta Responding to m...

Preventing password removal tools from working.......How?
Has anyone seen a good way to prevent the thousands of password removal tools from working? I would simply like the Excel protection to NOT be easily defeated by the use of these tools. Any ideas? Bryan The only way is to not let your workbook fall into the hands of people who will try to break the password. This may mean don't share it with anyone. bryan@xgengames.com wrote: > > Has anyone seen a good way to prevent the thousands of password removal > tools from working? > > I would simply like the Excel protection to NOT be easily defeated by > the use of thes...

Export transaction report
I am trying to export a transaction report from Money 2002. Money does nothing after I select export to desktop or send xml report. ...

Double click to open form
I have a form which has subforms to show me my active orders and inventory information. I want to be able to double click or just click the PO Number to open that record in my Order Details form. I tried creating a macro by mimicking the one in the Northwind 2007 database but when I do it in mine I receive an error which states: "Syntax Error (missing Operator) in query expression '[PO_Number]=PHX 0085453'" Is this because the PO_Number is not the primary key? Should I be using the primary key to double click? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

i need a report that shows Pay Outs
I know this probably already exists, but i can't find it. How do i get a report that shows $ paid out from the Drawer. We use the F10 Function - and fill out all the info. But i never see it again. i need this info. how do i get it? Thanks Thanks alot Jeff. Do you know is there anyway to get this info Quickbooks with the rest of the daily batch?? Jessica "Jeff" wrote: > Jessica, > > None available in CustomerSource. I've attached one called Drop or Payout > List. > > Copy it into the \Program Files\Microsoft Retail...\Store Ops\Reports &g...

Keyboard shortcuts suddenly stopped working in Publisher
My keyboard shortcuts work in other programs, including Word. But, lately, they will not work in Publisher. I have to use the mouse to click on the menus. Any ideas on why and how to fix? Thanks! Start, Microsoft Office Tools, Save my settings Wizard... Description and use of the Save My Settings Wizard http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?SCID=kb;en-us;826809 Using the Office Profile Wizard http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011362571033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Patti Williams...

Outlook 2003 rules no longer working
I am using Outlook 2003 on Windows XP + Exchange and my rules are no longer working (they used to a few days ago). As a result, all the emails I receive stay in the Inbox. I tried to delete all my rules and recreat them, make then client-only or server-only... no luck. How can I diagnose how the rules work? Is there some kind of logfile that will tell me why such email message didn't match that rule but matches this rule? Or is there an Outlook logfile that might explain why all my rules suddenly stopped working? -- Cedric http://beust.com/weblog ...

Passing form value to hyperlink address
How do I append a form field value to the end of a hyperlink address that is coded as a hyperlink address on a form label? "Macro condition based on date" <Macroconditionbasedondate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F12C8D1-5AF4-4974-8A6B-EE0346885C59@microsoft.com... > How do I append a form field value to the end of a hyperlink address that > is > coded as a hyperlink address on a form label? How about something like this in the form's Current event: Private Sub Form_Current() Me.lblWhatever.HyperlinkAddress = "C:\Data\" &...