Unbound Data Entry Form

Bit of a "noob" question but here goes....

I am using an unbound form for data entry purposes.  I am using an unbound
form as I have some VBA code which checks that mandatory fields are filled in
first.

This works fine where all the fields are text boxes (i.e. not combos or list
boxes)
but the problem I'm having is that the parent table "tblContracts" has 4
lookup tables (which are used for combos with various fields on the form) and
these are numeric fields which link between the tables (i.e. In the parent
table the field would be SupplierID whick links to the child table SupplierID
field)  In the form obviously it displays the actual name rather than the
index numerical value when the user clicks the dropdown menu.  The issue (I
think?) is that the VBA code I have is trying to insert a numerical value
(The ID field value) rather than the text which is displayed in the dropdown
menu.  How can I get round this??

Apologies if this seems really simple but I have limited VBA coding
experience.  The

PS - VBA code to insert data to the table works perfectly if the table has
no lookup values in the combo boxes.

These ar

When I click the command button to insert the data from the form into the
table

Steve,
    Given cboSupplierID with SupplierID in the first column, and
SupplierName in the second column.
    Setup your combobox like this...
    No Of Columns = 2
    Column Widths = 0" ; 1.5"

    This allows the user to only see the SupplierName, select a
SupplierName, but
 set the value of cboSuppplierID to the SupplierID.  I think that's what you
want...
    (usually, the cboSupplierID would be "bound" to your SupplierID table
field)

    On my website (below) I have a sample A97 and A2003 zip file named
Combo Quick Find, which demonstrates the above method.
--
    hth
    Al Campagna

"Steve Muir" <SteveMuir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bit of a "noob" question but here goes....
>
> I am using an unbound form for data entry purposes.  I am using an unbound
> form as I have some VBA code which checks that mandatory fields are filled
> in
> first.
>
> This works fine where all the fields are text boxes (i.e. not combos or
> list
> boxes)
> but the problem I'm having is that the parent table "tblContracts" has 4
> lookup tables (which are used for combos with various fields on the form)
> and
> these are numeric fields which link between the tables (i.e. In the parent
> table the field would be SupplierID whick links to the child table
> SupplierID
> field)  In the form obviously it displays the actual name rather than the
> index numerical value when the user clicks the dropdown menu.  The issue
> (I
> think?) is that the VBA code I have is trying to insert a numerical value
> (The ID field value) rather than the text which is displayed in the
> dropdown
> menu.  How can I get round this??
>
> Apologies if this seems really simple but I have limited VBA coding
> experience.  The
>
> PS - VBA code to insert data to the table works perfectly if the table has
> no lookup values in the combo boxes.
>
> These ar
>
> When I click the command button to insert the data from the form into the
> table

0
Al
2/5/2010 4:18:47 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response but it's not quite what I'm after.  After
reading my post I did not explain myself very well at all!!

I have the combobox rowsource set up to SELECT DISTINCT Suppliername from
tblSupplier (to give the user a list of current supplier names to select
from)  And I have the number of columns etc exactly as you suggested.  The
problem comes when the VBA code tries to insert the data on the form fields
into the Contracts table (Parent Table).  The "actual" value (as seen on the
form) is the Supplier Name (not the corresponding SupplierID (PK))  But when
the code tries to insert the data into the parent table (tblContracts) it is
trying to insert the Text value from the textbox, rather than the SupplierID
numerical value needed for the numerical field value in tblContracts (the
parent table)

Hope this makes sense, I might be better off attaching the form itself to
illustrate what I mean.

"Al Campagna" wrote:

> Steve,
>     Given cboSupplierID with SupplierID in the first column, and
> SupplierName in the second column.
>     Setup your combobox like this...
>     No Of Columns = 2
>     Column Widths = 0" ; 1.5"
>
>     This allows the user to only see the SupplierName, select a
> SupplierName, but
>  set the value of cboSuppplierID to the SupplierID.  I think that's what you
> want...
>     (usually, the cboSupplierID would be "bound" to your SupplierID table
> field)
>
>     On my website (below) I have a sample A97 and A2003 zip file named
> Combo Quick Find, which demonstrates the above method.
> --
>     hth
>     Al Campagna
>     Microsoft Access MVP 2006-2009
>     http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html
>
>     "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your life."
>
> "Steve Muir" <SteveMuir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Bit of a "noob" question but here goes....
> >
> > I am using an unbound form for data entry purposes.  I am using an unbound
> > form as I have some VBA code which checks that mandatory fields are filled
> > in
> > first.
> >
> > This works fine where all the fields are text boxes (i.e. not combos or
> > list
> > boxes)
> > but the problem I'm having is that the parent table "tblContracts" has 4
> > lookup tables (which are used for combos with various fields on the form)
> > and
> > these are numeric fields which link between the tables (i.e. In the parent
> > table the field would be SupplierID whick links to the child table
> > SupplierID
> > field)  In the form obviously it displays the actual name rather than the
> > index numerical value when the user clicks the dropdown menu.  The issue
> > (I
> > think?) is that the VBA code I have is trying to insert a numerical value
> > (The ID field value) rather than the text which is displayed in the
> > dropdown
> > menu.  How can I get round this??
> >
> > Apologies if this seems really simple but I have limited VBA coding
> > experience.  The
> >
> > PS - VBA code to insert data to the table works perfectly if the table has
> > no lookup values in the combo boxes.
> >
> > These ar
> >
> > When I click the command button to insert the data from the form into the
> > table
>

> .

Steve,
    We're missing something here...
    I'm not sure why your controls are not bound, when you have
a table to hold those values.  Using VB to update your table with the
unbound values after all values ahve been enetered is adding complexity
for little gain.  It would be better to bind the form, and check for
validity
at each point in the process where necessary.

    Zip the tables and forms needed for the problem, and email
to me via my website "Contact" (below).
    Put "Newsgroup" in the subject, and indicate what version, and
what specific tables and forms are involved... in the body.
    No charge... confidentiality assured.
    No guarantees... only a best effort basis.
--

> [...]
>> > field)  In the form obviously it displays the actual name rather than
>> > the
>> > index numerical value when the user clicks the dropdown menu.  The
>> > issue
>> > (I
>> > think?) is that the VBA code I have is trying to insert a numerical
>> > value
>> > (The ID field value) rather than the text which is displayed in the
>> > dropdown
>> > menu.  How can I get round this??
>> >
>> > Apologies if this seems really simple but I have limited VBA coding
>> > experience.  The
>> >
>> > PS - VBA code to insert data to the table works perfectly if the table
>> > has
>> > no lookup values in the combo boxes.
>> >
>> > These ar
>> >
>> > When I click the command button to insert the data from the form into

0
Al
2/5/2010 5:58:54 PM
Stephen,
    You wrote in an email to me...
>The form "AddNewContract" is where the code is not working.  I think I know
>why
>**(because it is trying to insert a numeric field from the combobox,
>i.e. BuyerID value, rather than BuyerFName text value)
>as shown in the combobox dropdown after the user has made their
>selection from the combo box.

    But... that's exactly what you want to do.  You don't want to capture
the BuyerName, or the SupplierName,
you want to capture the BuyerID and the SupplierID to your table.
    What would you do if you had 2 buyers named John Smith?   You need the
"unique identifier"
BuyerID and SupplierID to always be sure you have the correct associated
name values.
    **You bound BuyerID to the combo... then why would you want the name
text saved there?
------------------
    You have a miscomception as to what "bound" means.
    Your form AddNewContract IS a bound form.  You have your tblContracts as
the Record Source for the form,
and each of your controls is bound to a table field.  Ergo... the form and
the controls are "bound."
    "Bound" doesn't have anything to do with when, and if, the record is
written to the table.
---------
    Since most of your NewContract fields are Required, you can not write
the record
to the table, unless all required fields have been valued.
    Control values are not written to the table until a Refresh, or Requery,
or Update, occurs...
or you move to another record, or the form closes.   Your Save button is
really a bit redundant, but
that's not a big issue.
You could not add another record, or close the form unless all your Required
fields have been valued.
----------------
    I created a query called qryYourContractDataView that shows how the IDs
have been related to the
appropriate name "on the fly."  You would use this same process in any
subsequent form, query, or report
you need.

    I also removed the Lookup values in tblContracts, so you can actually
see the ID values.  I've always
avoided table Lookup definitions, as they can become very confusing to
bug-shoot.  That's not to say
they can't be used.  I just prefer to do it the "meat and potatoes" way.

    Also, I removed the DataEntry = Yes from form AddNewContract
(should be named frmAddNewContract... for clarity only)
so that I could see the data values of my previously entered record.
-----
So... the upshot is that I didn't really "fix" anything.  You had the combos
set up properly, but
didn't realize it...
--
    hth
    Al Campagna
    Microsoft Access MVP 2006-2009

I'm going to add this reply to the thread on the newsgroup, so thers can see
the resolution... to date.
> [...]
>> > field)  In the form obviously it displays the actual name rather than
>> > the
>> > index numerical value when the user clicks the dropdown menu.  The
>> > issue
>> > (I
>> > think?) is that the VBA code I have is trying to insert a numerical
>> > value
>> > (The ID field value) rather than the text which is displayed in the
>> > dropdown
>> > menu.  How can I get round this??
>> >
>> > Apologies if this seems really simple but I have limited VBA coding
>> > experience.  The
>> >
>> > PS - VBA code to insert data to the table works perfectly if the table
>> > has
>> > no lookup values in the combo boxes.
>> >
>> > These ar
>> >
>> > When I click the command button to insert the data from the form into

0
Al
2/8/2010 4:04:18 PM
Steve,
    It's Monday evening 7:30 PM US Eastern time.  I sent your file back
to you, at 10:45 AM this morning, using the email address I received from
you.
That email also contained the text response I copied onto this thread. (see
above)
    The text explanation of what I found is the most important, but I would
like
to return your file to you, or at least be able to communicate further with
you, as
necessary.

    The problem...
    I continue to get messages that that email still has not been delivered,
that the
system will continue to try to deliver same.
    Al Campagna

> [...]
>> > field)  In the form obviously it displays the actual name rather than
>> > the
>> > index numerical value when the user clicks the dropdown menu.  The
>> > issue
>> > (I
>> > think?) is that the VBA code I have is trying to insert a numerical
>> > value
>> > (The ID field value) rather than the text which is displayed in the
>> > dropdown
>> > menu.  How can I get round this??
>> >
>> > Apologies if this seems really simple but I have limited VBA coding
>> > experience.  The
>> >
>> > PS - VBA code to insert data to the table works perfectly if the table
>> > has
>> > no lookup values in the combo boxes.
>> >
>> > These ar
>> >
>> > When I click the command button to insert the data from the form into

0
Al

Pass parameter from FORM to QUERY

Office 2007 forms

Data migration - Adventure Works

Integration Manager
I have set up an integration mapping into the Bank Transaction Entry for GP 8.0. Since there is no option to save a bank transaction entry, it posts automatically when I run the integration, but it does not print off the reports I usually get when I do a manual bank trans. entry (bank transaction posting journal & general posting journal). I was wondering if anybody knows how to get IM or GP to print the reports associated with the entry? Do I have to write a script? Thanks. I ran into the same issue. Boy I wish Bank Trx used batches that would solve this. We just did a repri...

cursor missing from form textboxes
I believe that I know 98% of the little intricacies of Publisher, but I'm stumped on this one. I created a website with a contact page and none of the standard textboxes will show a cursor to indicate with field you are in (I've even made the site live to double check). If you tab between textboxes, the tabbing works, as does typing, there is just no visual cursor to indicate where you are. If you click on the first textbox and type, all is good you can tab to the next box and type, and it's fine. I'd like to have the visual cursor show and can't get it. I also have ...

VBA form
Im using a form/macro that i linked to through another thread and a tailoring it to my needs. I basically have it doing what i need but cant get a button to do what i want. When the user starts the macro i brings up the form with a message and 2 buttons (Continue/Cancel). Whe continue is pressed i want the message on the form to change to aniothe message and so on until all messages are shown. Ive attacehed what i working on and apprecaite any help offered. Thank yo +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: Excel.zip ...

Scroll Wheel effecting a form
Is there any way to keep a mouse scroll wheel from having an effect on a form? This is a single form for data entry and if are part way thru the form and for what ever reasom use the scroll wheel all the fields on the form are effected (they dissapear - like going to the next new record). My suggestion to get a mouse without a scrool wheel was not met with enthusiasm. :) Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance The scroll wheel is moving you through the records. Nothing except your view of the records is disappearing. The records are still there. I wouldn't think y...

Source data, in Chart Menu, is grey and not accessible.
I set up a pivot table and designed a chart, saved and closed out of the workbook. Upon returning to work on this project, when selecting the chart menu to work with my source data, the source data is grey and not accessible. What might be causing this and can I correct it? It's a pivot chart. As soon as it's created, it's linked permanently to the pivot table, and you cannot change the source data. you cannot add more data that's not in the pivot table to the chart, nor can you remove data that is in the pivot table from the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft...

custom forms #3
Hello, I would like to use forms customised on outlook on a pocket pc. I wish to send an e-mail using a customised form, and have the customised e-mail appear correctly on a pocket pc once it has downloaded the e-mail via gprs. So, my question is, is it possible to install customised forms on a pocket pc? many thanks in advance. Mike. Not Outlook forms. Maybe something else; ask in a Pocket PC group. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx...

All controls on my form have become invisible. How to make visible
Some how with out me knowing I have made all controls on my form invisible when I view the form. In design view they are visible so I know I didn't delete them all. Is there a property besides form visibility or detail visibility that controls this? How Do I make them come back. OSeanS wrote: > Some how with out me knowing I have made all controls on my form > invisible when I view the form. In design view they are visible so I > know I didn't delete them all. Is there a property besides form > visibility or detail visibility that controls this? How Do I make > them...

Deleting Organizational Forms Library
How do I delete forms in the Organizational Forms Library in Outlook? Never mind. I got my answer in the SBS NG where the MVP's really rock. thanks anyway. "Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OxC9dNpRFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > How do I delete forms in the Organizational Forms Library in Outlook? > ...

Missing Data Options
I am trying to use Tools - Options - Chart. I want to use the "not Plotted" option. When I click on it my chart does not change. This happens after I've selected the chart and then trying to make these changes. What am I doing wrong? I want to create a chart that ignores missing data, and gives me a trend line based on the data I have. I've had my nose in my Excel "bible" but can't find the answer. I greatly appreciate any tips. Jim -- jimsmith888 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jimsmith888's Profile: http...

Opening a form from a Pop-up
I have a pop-up form I have created so that instructors can double-click on a user number and a New Student form is supposed to open. I have done several pop-up boxes to open other forms and they all seem to work just fine. However, on this particular pop-up, when I double-click a number, I get the following error message "The specified field '[UserNumber]" could refer to more than one table listed in the FROM clause of your SQL statement." I am using a query to draw the information and there is only one table being used in the query. When I check the SQL statemen...

Extracting data and returing to colums.
I am about half way there, but I need some more help. These are web inquires that parsed out in the same colum and repeat th same way all down the page. I want to be able to use the fields as guidelines to pull the dat adjacent to it and sent to the new colum. In a way it is transposin all the data, but I need to pull all the first names of these peopl and have them align in the first colum. Same for Last name, business etc. So if the information that I have come across like this in th spreadsheet, I just want the customer infomation to move to th appropriate colums like the third example...

how do I convert Mozilla thunderbird data to outlook 2010?
Converted from an old Outlook to Mozilla Thunderbird years ago. Like new Outlook and would like to switch back. Can't seem to see a conversion utility -- Mishka I suspect you export from thunderbird to a format Outlook can import, eg csv (assuming pop mail) "Mishka" <Mishka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:509C3250-167B-4FFF-9E07-5E5A8C625AA8@microsoft.com... > Converted from an old Outlook to Mozilla Thunderbird years ago. Like new > Outlook and would like to switch back. Can't seem to see a conversion > utility > -- >...

Graphing daily data
I am trying to graph daily data for a month in Excel 2007 that groups like days (Saturdays, Sundays, etc) in the same series, while still showing individual values and dates. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Use your worksheet to pull the relevant data together into a series. Do the data manipulation in your worksheet, then the chart plots the series which you have generated in the worksheet. -- David Biddulph "Fozzie" <Fozzie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB004134-AD88-434C-9DAD-BFE4CB2FD058@microsoft.com... >I am trying to graph daily data f...

Pivot Table Data field
Hi, I am importing the data from Ms Access, and creating Pivot table. Pivot Table Columns Row------------------------------ | Data | Row, Data and Columns have drop down manus where you can select and unselect values. In Row and Columns when if i unselect any values in drop down menu and go back values are still there. However, With Data when i unselect any values it vanish i am unable to retrive it back. Please any one let me know if i unselect any values from the Data dropdown menu they still stay there. Regards, -- khansab143 -------------------------------------------...

Adding Address line 3 to GP Forms
Several of our customers/vendors have addresses that include a 3rd Address Line (above City, State, Zip). However, in all of our GP forms, only Address Line 1 & 2, plus City/State/Zip where added. These all appear to be calculated fields on the report and I can see where Address Line 3 is available to be chosen - HOWEVER, I am an absolute novice when it comes to doing calculated fields in Report Writer. By using the manual and looking at how the other address lines where created, I've got the general gist of it; However, when I created "Ship To Address Line 4" (to i...