sync combox boxes

I have seen this question for older versions and for use on forms, let me
throw my twist into this.  I have a table called student list with  lname,
first name, grade, student id.  I have a second table that records student
parking stickers and parking violations called action list. there are linked
by a one to many relationship by student id. I created a simple form from
studnet list that shows the fields for the action file table below it. My use
will enter data directly to the fiedls there not thru a form. (he likes
that). My question when I ge to the filed make I would like to select Ford,
Chevy etc. then have the Model filed only show the appropriate models. Can I
do this directly in the table design mode? I do not want a form or query if
possible.  Also I assume I will need to creat a new table with make model in
it?  Thank you hope I am clear.

Access is not a spreadsheet.

If your user is entering data directly in the tables, your application has
NO control over what s/he can do to the data.

If your user is so hung up on spreadsheets, you could create a form that
looks like a spreadsheet table, and gain the benefit of all the events and
validation you can (only) do via forms.

If you wish to provide the kind of cascading comboboxes you are describing,
you can ONLY do that via forms... it simply isn't available directly in the
table.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"tonkaplayer" <tonkaplayer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have seen this question for older versions and for use on forms, let me
> throw my twist into this.  I have a table called student list with  lname,
> first name, grade, student id.  I have a second table that records student
> parking stickers and parking violations called action list. there are
> linked
> by a one to many relationship by student id. I created a simple form from
> studnet list that shows the fields for the action file table below it. My
> use
> will enter data directly to the fiedls there not thru a form. (he likes
> that). My question when I ge to the filed make I would like to select
> Ford,
> Chevy etc. then have the Model filed only show the appropriate models. Can
> do this directly in the table design mode? I do not want a form or query
> if
> possible.  Also I assume I will need to creat a new table with make model
> in
> it?  Thank you hope I am clear.

0
Jeff
3/10/2010 4:50:02 PM
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:29:02 -0800, tonkaplayer
<tonkaplayer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can I do this directly in the table design mode?

No.

>I do not want a form or query if possible.

"I have a car, but I do not want to use the transmission or the steering gear
if possible, just the engine".

Queries are the backbone of any relational database application. Forms are the
user interface for working with data. you can use a Datasheet view form, or a
continuous form made to look like a datasheet, if your user prefers that look,
but Tables simply don't have any usable events for this purpose. They are
designed for data storage, not for data interaction.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
John

Turn on Edit option in Combo Box
How do you turn on the Edit option in a Combo Box in Excel 2000? I have no problem entering the drop-down part, but cannot get it to allow editing. Please help. Pam Williams Pam What kind of combobox? Forms toolbar, Control Toolbox, or Data Validation. What do you mean by editing? Do you want to edit an entry on the list, add a new entry to the list, or just be able to type in a value that's not on the list? -- Dick Kusleika MVP - Excel Excel Blog - Daily Dose of Excel www.dicks-blog.com "Pam at Greer" <Pam at Greer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

How do I "tick" a check box
I wish to indicate with a tick,that an action has been done.a X looks negative.and I am unable to find a suitable symbol. Gordie, One way is to change the cell font to "Marlett" and enter an "a" or a "b" into the cell. Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "Gordie" <Gordie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2CD8D4A7-3410-4347-A8F1-8E0803EC4567@microsoft.com... > I wish to indicate with a tick,that an action has been done.a X looks > negative.and I am unable to find a suitable symbol. ...

comment box #3
I have searched for the method needed to change the default size of a comment box. I know how to change the font and user name and shape of the box. I also know how to change the size of a comment already entred by dragging the bars and by increasing the size parameters. But all that I change does not generate to the new comment box. I need the comment box to open with a taller and wider box. Can anyone tell me how to change the default to the size of a new comment box? John I don't think there is a way to change the default. You can accomplish the same thing with: Sub Macro1() ...

allowing a text box to grow
Is it difficult to have a CEdit control and its dialog grow according to the length of the string in the control? I'm interested in using such an arrangement for my error messages and would like it to fit my messages. Use DrawText to compute the rectangle required and resize your control to accomodate it. joe On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:31:07 -0400, "SteveR" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote: >Is it difficult to have a CEdit control and its dialog grow according to the >length of the string in the control? I'm interested in using such an >arra...

Like criteria on a combo box ot working the way I want... Please help!
All, Below is a the standard code I use in a combo box. Dim rs As Object Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone rs.FindFirst "[llListingID] = " & str(Nz(Me![cboTerritoryName], 0)) If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark Me.Form.AllowAdditions = False The query used to find the data is... SELECT qryLister.llListingID, qryLister.llTerritoryName FROM qryLister WHERE (((qryLister.llTerritoryName) Like "*"+[Enter any part of Territory Name:]+"*")); All works fine for the first look-up. But in order to refresh the combo box so it allows one to &...

Syncing Horizontal ScrollBars of Two Excel ListBoxes
I have a Excel Form that contains two(2) listboxes. Both listboxes are the same width, have the same number of columns and have the same column widths. Both have horizontal scroll bars. Is there any way to link the movement of the horizontal scrollbar of one listbox so that it actually controls the horizontal movement of both listboxes? Most documentation I have found applies only to syncing vertical scroll bars. ...

save attachment dialog box
Does anyone know how to change the dialog box that opens up when you click on an attachment to open, instead of save? The boss thinks he wastes too much time changing the checkbox. My guess would be somewhere in the registry, but don't know where or how. What exactly do you mean? You mean the dialog that comes up and promps you to Save, Open or Cancel? The "Confirm Open after Download" can only be modified with local admnistrator permissions as it changes the registry of the local computer. Control Panel-> Folder Options-> tab File Types -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-O...

Another Combo Box Question
Hello all, HELP!! I am trying to create a form to input maintenance requests. There are 3 tables: stores (StoreID-PK), vendors (VendorID-PK, RequestID-FK), requests (RequestID-PK, StoreID-FK, VendorID-FK). Here are the problems: I am trying to use 2 combo boxes: 1. To choose the store (by StoreID) and show it's address, etc. in corresponding text boxes; and 2. Another combo box to choose the vendor (VendorID), and show it's address, etc. in corresponding text boxes. I can one or the other to work and correspond with the requests data. But I can't get BOTH to work. ...

Combo Boxes getting data from Work Sheet.
I have a User Form that has a combo Box on it. Is it possible for the Combo Box to get it's Data from a Work Sheet in the same Work Book as the User Form instead of doing in Code as follows: With Me.Engineer_2 .AddItem "1" .AddItem "2" .AddItem "3" .AddItem "4" .AddItem "5" .AddItem "6" End With The reason I ask is because I would like to be able to set it up as follows: Combo Box 1 = Customer 1 Combo Box 2 = State Combo Box 3 = Site ID User Picks the Cust...

form entry based on combo box/lookup
ok. I have been marauding these forums for awhile now and first of thanks to all those whom help others out... makes a difference. This is my first post in here and hopefully this will make sense... I have three tables. one for clients one for employees and one for hourly charges this database is going to end up being remotely accessed > still working on that part as well... but here is my current hurdle... I have a form that outputs to the hourly charges table but pulls information from clients for the "PROPERTYNAME" and "COSTPERONSITE". and from employees for...

Publisher
I have prepare a publisher flyer which I will be sending out in a group e-mail. The view of the flyer shows the text boxes as well as the text. How can I delete the text boxes only and not the text. This is the first time I am using publisher. The text box boundary will not print unless you have put a border around it. Have you looked at print preview? Go to view, clear boundaries and guides, you will see how the flyer will look when printed. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Ladybug" <Ladybug@disc...

return value based on combo box selection
I have a combo box (cmbShipDate) in a form that is based on a table with drop down values of ShipDate1, ShipDate2, ShipDate3, etc. I have created a text box and I want the correct ship date to be displayed based on the combo box selection. These ship dates are all stored in a table called tblOrder. I thought I could use the DLookUp fuction, but I'm not doing something correctly. Thanks I don't understand what you mean by "based on a table with drop down values". And when you say the "ship dates are all stored in ... tblOrder", do you mean tha...

Palm V Sync w/ Business Contact Manager
Has anyone been able to get their Palm device to sync with Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager. Intellisync does not support this yet. You answered your own question. Once intellisync supports this, then = you should be able to set your preferred .pst file. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Jim <jfjordan@prodigy.net> asked: | Has anyone been able to get their Palm device to sync | with Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager. |=20 | Intellisync does...

Range input box
Hello How to make my basic macro to exit inputbox on 'cancel'? Sub Fill_blanks() Dim myRange As Range Set myRange = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="x.", Title:="y", Type:=8) myRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Select Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=R[-1]C" Exit Sub End Sub I tried with: If Err.Number = 424 Then Exit Sub End If If myRange = False Exit Sub End If Thank you as allways! One way: Option Explicit Sub Fill_blanks() Dim myRange As Range Dim myBlanks As Range Set myRange = Nothing On Error Resume Next ...

Adding a combo box to a search form containing text boxes
I have already created a working search form using three text boxes. i would like to add a combo box to the search form. I currently have the code Dim strWhere As String strWhere = "1=1 " If Not IsNull(Me.txtRegPlan) Then 'assuming Reg Plan is text strWhere = strWhere & " AND [Reg Plan] =""" & Me.txtRegPlan & """ " End If If Not IsNull(Me.txtPlanBlock) Then strWhere = strWhere & " AND [Plan Block] =""" & Me.txtPlanBlock & """ " End If If Not IsNull(Me.txtPlanLot) Then ...

copies of email to sent box?
Last weeek we experienced a power outage and had to replace power supply. Since then ,when I send email ,copies will not send to sent box. I have checked OPTIONS and have " send copy to sent box",but it is still not doing it. Any suggestions? Thanks ...

Filter Datasheet based on Combo Box selection
I have a SubForm that displays in Datasheet view. I want to add a Combo Box just above the SubForm that the user can select the Pay_Period_Ending_Date, and once selected I would like the Datasheet to filter based on this date. Can someone please direct me as to how I can do this? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Pasadena-D - You can put your combobox in the header section of the subform. Then based on the selection in the combobox, you can apply your filter like this (using your fieldnames and combobox name). If the user will click on an item, you can ...

Edit Box Accepts Tab as Enter
How can you stop the Tab key being used to accept data entry in a multi-line, want return Edit Box on a MFC dialog. Note the event on the Edit Box is OnEnKillfocusEdit1. Graham, You could try deriving your own class from CEdit, and adding OnGetDlgCode (handling, not surprisingly, WM_GETDLGCODE). Here, you can return DLGC_WANTTAB (or you might perhaps want to return DLGC_WANTALLKEYS) Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "Graham" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet news:047A94A0-A8A5-4640-88ED-B68F60FD9CB7@microsoft.com... > How can you stop the Tab ...

Create a Search Box on a form
I have a form that allows the user to add a new record. Now I want to allow the user the capability to change a record in the database, when necessary. I want to create a search (or filter) on my date field. Do I need to create a new form or can I use the same form for adding? Also how do I create the search???? If you want to search the form for a specific date, have the user right-click in the date text box and use the filter for to enter the date. -- Duane Hookom MS Access MVP "Summing multiple fields on a form" <Summingmultiplefieldsonaform@disc...

In Box
I have a number in parentheses next to my In Box. I have read all the messages in my In Box, but the number is still there. How do I find out what this is and how to get rid of it. -- Jo Ann What version of Outlook are you using? In some versions the number next to the Inbox can actually reflect the total items in the Inbox rather than unread. Also you might check and see if you have a view/filter applied (View | Current View...) which might be hiding some unread messages from you. Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microso...

synchronizing Combo boxes
I cannot seem to get my combo boxes to properly Sync up. Im not sure if the code i am entering is wrong or what the deal is. Can someone help me out? I have two tables State and Countydocs. I am trying to make it so when the user uses the first combo box(cbostate) to pick a state, the counties for that state would populate in the second combo box(cbocountydoc). Once they pic a county I want to put a search button on there to pull up the documents for that selected. county. I can get the cbostate box to show the states but it will not populate the county info. can someone p...

text box margin defaults
We have a publisher 2002 document in which the text box margins are all 0.00 inch. When we open new document, and creat text box, the margins for that one are the normal .04 inch on all sides. We tried changing the margins in all the text boxes in the old doc back to .04, but when it was re-opened this morning, the margins had reverted back to 0.00 inch. In the Format Text box dialog, the check box for Default for New Objects is grayed out and cannot be checked. Any ideas how to make the changes stick? Hi Tom (toms@liturgical.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || We have a publ...

Number of entries in drop down box
I have a drop down box in my spreadsheet that I use for listing the builders that I work with/for. It appears that the max. number of entries is 12. Can I increase that? -- theslaz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ theslaz's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=44 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=35320 Is it a validation dropdown or a worksheet dropdown or a combobox? -- Simon Lloyd Regards, Simon Lloyd 'The Code Cage' (http://www.thecodecage.com) --------------------------...

Unable to locate Standard Toolbar
Have been using Office Publisher, but recently noticed the Standard Toolbar was not in situ, resulting in my not being able to create texts. Have deleted and re-installed but the position remains. Without this facility Office Publisher 2003 is of little use. Can anyone help please? Text boxes are located on the Object Toolbar, not standard toolbar. Go to View > Toolbars > Objects -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Macal" <Macal@discussions.mic...

Positioning a Text Box
Hi to all, If a cell changes to a certain value, I need to warn the user about another action. I am using a simple Text Box which I have chosen to display for 3 seconds. The only thing I need help with is how to display this pop-up Text Box in different positions. The cell being looked at by Worksheet_Change event is in row 81. Depending on how much the user scrolls before changing the value, row 81 may be near the top, middle or bottom of the screen. I have noticed if row 81 is near the top of the screen, I don't see the Text Box pop up near the bottom of the scree...